• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Magazine: All-TIME 100 Video Games

Carbonox

Gears of War but no Resident Evil 4? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

andthebeatgoeson

I know we can criticize any list but they don't have SMB3 on their. It seems their intent was to find one game out of a series, or whatever you can call a series for 10 years, then ignore the others. They didn't even weight them. Just like the first. Should have just said 'x' series and we would have gotten the point. SMB and not SMB3 is crazy. But SMB3 released in 1990 (WTF, Japan got it 2 years prior?). Still, a landmark game in platformers. Just unable to ignore it. But I can understand why they did it. I can make that argument a few times on this list.

pargonta

it seems like they fell into the trap of measuring impact and cultural importance... i mean rock band AND guitar hero... as well as angry birds... initial high review scores and sales for ME3 makes it appear like an amazing game, but it's not quite there.

i think they were deceived in some of the recent years.

Artemisia

Banned
Where is Super Mario Galaxy

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

terrisus

No Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior games, no Final Fantasy games before 7, and Chrono Trigger was the game that "inducted battalions of computer-less tweens to console roleplaying?" Sure...

Even if they're only going for "one game per series/per significant change in series," it doesn't excuse making it sound like console RPGs didn't exist at all before 1995.

spekkeh

Banned
Of the Gamerankings all-time ranking, the first game to appear in this list is number 8, Metroid Prime. That's... interesting. I can see how they chose the most impactful games as a games 'canon' and not the best games, but OoT seems to have changed the game design culture enough to have warranted a listing.

Soul_Pie

The 2010 list is beyond horrible. Is that all that we've been able to come up with in that time.

Also I am completely at a loss as to how Arkham City was rated so highly, decent enough game but man I just don't get the hype. Mass Effect 3, lol.

Wait I just noticed angry Birds, urrrgh. And what the hell is desktop tower defence???

Lothars

it seems like they fell into the trap of measuring impact and cultural importance... i mean rock band AND guitar hero... as well as angry birds... initial high review scores and sales for ME3 makes it appear like a good game, but it's not.

i think they were deceived in some of the recent years.
Your right, it's actually a very good game, The hatred for the game is insane.

Fuck Galaxy, there's no Super Mario World!
They should have put it on the list but since they were only putting one game from a franchise on the list It's not a bad choice.

Drencrom

Seeing Demon's Souls on the list makes me happy

But no Uncharted 2, OoT and FFVII is a headscratcher

Also, why the fuck is ME3 listed?

Edit: missed FFVII

There are a few games that seem like are missing. I mean, no offense to awesome games like Katamari Damacy or Braid, but putting them on the list while not adding any Zelda game besides the first? They probably have a one game per franchise rule in place, but still, both Zelda 1 and Zelda OoT were very notable in their own way.

Would have been good had they included RE4, Ocarina of Time and maybe Windwaker. The lack of F-Zero stings, but it doesn't surprise me. I don't think I see a single racer in the 2000s.

Edit: No Smash Melee too? Lemme stop looking at this list right now.

andymcc

Banned
There are a few games that seem like are missing. I mean, no offense to awesome games like Katamari Damacy or Braid, but putting them on the list while not adding any Zelda game besides the first? They probably have a one game per franchise rule in place, but still, both Zelda 1 and Zelda OoT were very notable in their own way.

I dunno. I think I like the first two Katamari games more than almost every Zelda and I like that series.

Top Bottom