• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Magazine: All-TIME 100 Video Games

GorillaJu

Actually a really agreeable list. There are a few omissions that I'd be concerned with but I can see how they came to the conclusion for many of the games. The only one major thing I disagree with is Mass Effect 3, which I don't think deserves quite the amount of the hate it gets, it doesn't belong on a greatest games of all time list.

I'm guessing they were limiting it to one game per franchise, which is actually a noble idea, but then you end up with games like Oregon Trail on the list while Super Mario World doesn't end up appearing. Either way, nice to see it isn't all just games from the last 10 years like you would see on an IGN or Gamespot list.

also, I love Mass Effect 3. Maybe not as much as Journey, but I have no problem with it being on this list.

RavenH2

The 2010's is very arguable, specially because you can only make such list when the decade is over (let's hope there are far better games than those when 2010's are over)

It's strange not seeing in that list games like :

Bomberman
Arkanoid
Rayman

Any way, a good list overall, I would recomend almost every game, except the I have not played

I hate lists that include a bunch of games because of their historical significance. It's like a best films list including a bunch of Edison shorts. Who wants to play Pong and Space Invaders ahead of Virtua Tennis and Space Invaders Extreme?

Yeah but imagine playing pong at a time when video games never existed. Playing super mario 64 when 3d game design hadnt been explored yet. The enjoyment factor and innovation at that time would be far beyond the feeling we get from playing countless sequels today.

stuminus3

The biggest problem with lists like this to me is that they often use the "biggest" instead of the (subjective) "best". I mean, I know how important Pac-Man was back in the day. I was there, I was all about the Pac-Man fever. But Pac-Man CE 2 is an infinitely better game than the original Pac-Man.

Shion

No

Elite

Super Metroid

Sega Rally

Ocarina of Time

Gran Turismo

Half-Life

Planescape: Torment

System Shock 2

Super Mario Galaxy

qvdKC.jpg

Raw64life

While there does appear to be an exception or two (a 2D Mario and a 3D Mario) it's pretty clear they stuck to a 1 game per franchise rule for the most part.

People have said it already, but I need to as well:

No Ocarina of Time, really?

Way too many omissions whenever lists like this are made. Time is no different.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
2000s list is pretty solid outside of angry birds - if you're going with a mobile game make it drop7 which is a genuine masterpiece, not angry birds which isn't anything notable outside of its ubiquity.

but the list in general has demon souls and cave story which makes it okay by me.

Did you look at the rest of the list? Whole thing is about ubiquity.

It's why so many sequels were left off. I'm sure most people would prefer Rock Band 2 or 3 to 1 but which one had more of a buzz?

The biggest problem with lists like this to me is that they often use the "biggest" instead of the (subjective) "best". I mean, I know how important Pac-Man was back in the day. I was there, I was all about the Pac-Man fever. But Pac-Man CE 2 is an infinitely better game than the original Pac-Man.
Yes but there is a lot to be said for being novel and first. Subsequent iterations may be improved but the lack of novelty is definitely a factor IMO. Its why for example I personally would never rate Super Mario Galaxy 2 over the first. Playing something fresh and original adds a lot to the experience. Not that Pac Man CE doesn't add a lot of fresh elements but I understand the reasoning for choosing arcade Pac Man over CE.

OnPoint

Glad to see they got Castlevania, sad to see a lack of Ninja Gaiden. Not an awful list, but there are some interesting inclusions on there.

Acheteedo

Yeah yeah, the same old "game X is missing, list is invalid" rubbish will prevail and normally I don't get involved in that kind of thing... but objectively you simply cannot omit Ocarina of Time from the 90's, it's an unfathomable omission.

Zia

Yeah but imagine playing pong at a time when video games never existed. Playing super mario 64 when 3d game design hadnt been explored yet. The enjoyment factor and innovation at that time would be far beyond the feeling we get from playing countless sequels today.

Yeah, I understand that, I just see little value in it. Gaming is the only medium where these lists are made and "classics" are chosen due to cultural significance or market impact, rather than timelessness or sheer quality. The medium has a lot of maturing to do, still.

Patryn

Mass Effect 1 is my favorite game. I have serious issues with Mass Effect 2.

But that list is nuts putting ME3 on there. It should be Mass Effect 2. That's the game that people will look back on and point to 10 years from now.

Also: No Baldur's Gate 2? Really?

Top Bottom