• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Magazine: All-TIME 100 Video Games

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
No Super Metroid, no Ocarina of Time, No Mario Galaxy, but the list includes Angry Birds and Mass Effect 3.

Okay, Time. Whatever you say.

This list is only decent if you look at it as games that brought something new and unique to gaming. Even still oot is a horrible omission. Nowhere close to a top 100 games of all time list though.

Lime

Well, I'm sure you're not alone, but that's still an outlying opinion.

My point is, if we ever want to build a real canon, or a popular bedrock to which we can point to and say, "Start here," then people have to get away from propping up games because they were popular, or created a genre, or whatever.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari revolutionized how film-makers utilized the architecture of the film set, but later films have improved upon this creative aspect of film-making. Yet, by your logic, Dr.Caligari shouldn't be considered part of film-set canon?

Or are you trolling again?

krYlon

This is actually a much better list than the ones I've seen on gaming sites/publications.

It's much more diverse than usual and does a good job of including influential games of the past in most genres. And doesn't overflood it with games from the same genre/series.

No one is ever going to completely agree with one of these lists, it's not possible. But you've got to give them some credit for the range of different types of games on their list.
And it's one of the few lists I've seen that isn't particularly nintendo or even console centric.

Zia

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari revolutionized how film-makers utilized the architecture of the film set, but later films have improved upon this creative aspect of film-making. Yet, by your logic, Dr.Caligari shouldn't be considered part of film-set canon?

Or are you trolling again?

Many people (not myself), still consider that a wonderful film. And I never put technical advancement at the forefront of my argument. It really isn't that confusing.

Makonero

The omission of Pokemon alone invalidates this list. The series is a cultural phenomenon and introduced many (including this kid) to RPGs back in the '90s.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Where the hell is Gals Panic S, Doki Doki Majo Shinpan! and Rapelay?

At least they got Solitaire.

spekkeh

Banned
Myth is on that list, which is awesome, and totally warranted.

Wrong Myth though :p

myth-history-in-the-making-cover.jpg

Patryn

The list does seem confused on whether it's 100 Most Influential or 100 Greatest.

Just read the King's Quest entry to see even the author acknowledging the list is flawed (he calls King's Quest 3 as the best game ever, and yet it's KQ1 and not KQ3 that he puts on the list).

massoluk

Banned
This is actually a much better list than the ones I've seen on gaming sites/publications.

It's much more diverse than usual and does a good job of including influential games of the past in most genres. And doesn't overflood it with games from the same genre/series.

No one is ever going to completely agree with one of these lists, it's not possible. But you've got to give them some credit for the range of different types of games on their list.
And it's one of the few lists I've seen that isn't particularly nintendo or even console centric.

I seriously don't see why the most successful and most prolific game maker ever shouldn't have a ludicrous share in any Greatest/top/influential games list.

krYlon

I seriously don't see why the most successful and most prolific game maker ever shouldn't have a ludicrous share in any Greatest/top/influential games list.

I'm sure there are still more Nintendo developed games in there than any other.
I don't see why they should have a ludicrous share though, they have never had a ludicrous share of the games industry. Maybe the most successful developer, but not ludicrously so.

Lime

Many people (not myself), still consider that a wonderful film. And I never put technical advancement at the forefront of my argument. It really isn't that confusing.

I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm saying that historical importance and impact matter a lot when outlining a canon, while your statement amounts to "people have to get away from propping up games because they were popular, or created a genre, or whatever."

Mega Man? Ok, it was influential, but I and surely others will agree that either 2 or 3 were better, and 1 is one of the weaker games in the series due to First Installment Weirdness.

I'll give them props for Grim Fandango though.

Zia

I think you are misunderstanding me. I'm saying that historical importance and impact matter a lot when outlining a canon, while your statement amounts to "people have to get away from propping up games because they were popular, or created a genre, or whatever."

I think you're right in that Importance does matter when outlining a canon, but not to the exclusion of relevance. I don't think we're yet at the point where people are good at differentiating between Important and Good. Rashomon and Citizen Kane are Important, yet also near-perfect films, that most people with a minor appreciation of film prefer over other very good, modern films. Similarly, Tetris is a perfect game that people enjoy on a mass level over other, more modernized puzzle games. The same can't be said for other games from the same time period, or before, that made this list. I guess bringing canon into the conversation was a mistake because it's easy to get into tangents on qualifiers, which really aren't important to this list. My point was, this list, as game lists often are, is meaningless because it has no identity. Are these the best games, the most important games? It's just a list of popular games.

Werhil

Well it has Angry Birds which I can't agree with, but they managed to not list Minecraft so that earns them some bonus points. Also Mass Effect 3 gets on there somehow, but not Star Control II.

Top Bottom