• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Magazine: All-TIME 100 Video Games

TriGen

Not a fan of this list, at all. I actually think G4's list a few months ago was way better, their's just had a very strange order, but the contents of the top 100 was way superior.

2010 list should be deleted. Other than that, everything looks good. Pretty good taste for the people at Time. Nvm, they don't have VTMB on their 2000 list. They pick Oblivion over Morrowind? List ain't that great.

No Dragon Quest.
Only Civ 1.
No Donkey Kong Country.
No Earthbound.
No Wind Waker.
No Galaxy.
No Thousand Year Door.
No SMT/Persona.
Just about no Western RPGs of note.

Final Fantasy VII and Tactics as the representatives of that series is a poor choice, too.

Yeah but it seems clear to me they went for iconic games or 'game changers'. I can definitely see why they went with Wii Sports instead of Galaxy, given they already have Mario 64 (even though I'd rate Galaxy a lot higher as a game).

If that's the case, then where are Dragon Quest and Pokemon? Those games are far more iconic and influential than 90% of that list.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I’ll be honest: For my money, King’s Quest III: To Heir Is Human is the greatest game of all time. That’s one man’s opinion, of course, and without the original King’s Quest game, there couldn’t have been a third King’s Quest game (which, as I mentioned, is the greatest game of all time — that might just be nostalgia talking, but let’s go with it).

Okay, if you're going to include games for starting series then why did you include ALL THE OTHER SEQUELS. How bizarre. Also KQVI is the best KQ. *closes book*

Still, I pleased a Myst game and a KQ game got on the list at all. That usually doesn't happen. Though Riven > Myst.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Outside of 2010's starting to be included and some questionable choices (Mass Effect 3, wha?) it's a pretty good list.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
My assumption with Top #whatever lists is always that the writer woke up hungover and had to get an article submitted by noon.

http://techland.time.com/2012/11/15/all-time-100-video-games/

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER

Designated by decade:

Seems like the Time staff has pretty good taste.

I think someone must tell these guys that making a top 100 list is not a rule. You may also not create a list and disappoint lots of people who cares about these lists, you know the people with an actual interest to the subject.

Also no Pokémon? Just send them the Pokémon episode of South Park, maybe then they'll notice that it's a huge game franchise.

P.S.: Here is an actual list with actual stats.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
lol @ FF7 being the only FF game.

Looks like they only allowed one game per series, with some exceptions made based on big jumps in game type or content; for example, FF7 is the only mainline FF game in there but Tactics also made it based on being a totally different type of game, just like I think Mario 64 and the original SMB made it in because the 2D-3D jump is worthy of segmentation (but since they already had a 2D game and a 3D game they couldn't also put in SMB3 or Galaxy). Probably the same deal with why Metroid and Metroid Prime are in there but not Super Metroid (though IMO Super Metroid should have been the single game from the 2D series picked).

Great list, only changes I'd make:

-Solitaire
-Mass Effect 3
+Populous
+Minecraft (I mean, really, how did they miss THIS?!)

Edit: Would love to make room for X-COM: UFO Defense but not sure what I'd shove out, that's the sign of a good list. Pokemon, though not my cup of tea, should also be there.

volpone

Banned
No Super Metroid.
No Ocarina of Time.
No Silent Hill 2.
No Resident Evil 4.
No Super Mario Galaxy 1/2.

List invalidated.

Seriously lists like these are far too problematic. They should either be identified as 'greatest games to play today', or 'most important games of all time'.

kswiston

People have been complaining about it for 3 pages, so I am sure this won't stop it, but TIME's self imposed rule to pick 1 game per series (with some exceptions for spin-off IPs like Final Fantasy Tactics and Ultima Online) explains why the list lacks Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy, etc. We can debate whether their chosen representative for a series was actually the best game in that series (definitely would have chosen something other than Super Mario Bros to represent Mario platformers myself), but I see why they did it.

Other than games from series that are already represented on the list, I would have liked to see Might and Magic, Baldur's Gate, and Dragon Quest III or V on there.

AAK

1970s

The Oregon Trail
Hunt the Wumpus
Pong
Breakout
Space Invaders
Adventure
Asteroids

1980s

Battlezone
Defender
Pac-Man
Zork
Castle Wolfenstein
Centipede
Donkey Kong
Frogger
Galaga
Tempest
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Joust
Pitfall!
King’s Quest
Lode Runner
M.U.L.E.
Paperboy
Tetris

Super Mario Bros.
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Castlevania
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
OutRun
Contra
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
Mega Man
NetHack
Punch-Out!!
Tecmo Bowl
Prince of Persia

1990s

Solitaire
Wing Commander
Civilization
Sonic the Hedgehog
Street Fighter II
Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
Mortal Kombat
Doom
Myst
NBA Jam
Madden NFL 95
Marathon
SimCity 2000
Chrono Trigger
Quake
Resident Evil
Super Mario 64

Tomb Raider
Final Fantasy VII
Goldeneye 007
Myth: The Fallen Lords
Ultima Online
Final Fantasy Tactics
Grim Fandango
Metal Gear Solid
StarCraft

Thief: The Dark Project
EverQuest
Silent Hill

2000s

Deus Ex
Diablo II
The Sims
Animal Crossing
Grand Theft Auto III
Halo: Combat Evolved

Ico
Rez
Counter-Strike
Metroid Prime
Splinter Cell
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Cave Story
Half-Life 2
Katamari Damacy
World of Warcraft
Guitar Hero
Shadow of the Colossus
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Gears of War
Ōkami
Wii Sports
BioShock
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Desktop Tower Defense
Portal
Rock Band
Braid
Angry Birds
Demon’s Souls
Flower

2010s

Batman: Arkham City
Mass Effect 3

The only ones I've played I underlined.

My opinion of the most impactful games in my life:

1. Devil May Cry
2. Tekken Tag Tournament
3. Resident Evil 2
4. Metal Gear Solid

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
No Dragon Quest.
Only Civ 1.
No Donkey Kong Country.
No Earthbound.
No Wind Waker.
No Galaxy.
No Thousand Year Door.
No SMT/Persona.
Just about no Western RPGs of note.

Final Fantasy VII and Tactics as the representatives of that series is a poor choice, too.

If that's the case, then where are Dragon Quest and Pokemon? Those games are far more iconic and influential than 90% of that list.

Agreed.. some of these games I have no idea what they are (namely, Marathon and Myth) or have no clue how they were influential (Wing Commander, Paperboy). Not sure what exactly this list is trying to be.

Disagree about the "no western RPGs of note", at least they have the best one on there (Ultima IV).

1970s

The Oregon Trail
Hunt the Wumpus
Pong
Breakout
Space Invaders
Adventure
Asteroids

1980s

Battlezone
Defender
Pac-Man
Zork
Castle Wolfenstein
Centipede
Donkey Kong
Frogger
Galaga
Tempest
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Joust
Pitfall!
King’s Quest
Lode Runner
M.U.L.E.
Paperboy
Tetris
Super Mario Bros.
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Castlevania
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
OutRun
Contra
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
Mega Man
NetHack
Punch-Out!!
Tecmo Bowl
Prince of Persia

1990s

Solitaire
Wing Commander
Civilization
Sonic the Hedgehog
Street Fighter II
Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
Mortal Kombat
Doom
Myst
NBA Jam
Madden NFL 95
Marathon
SimCity 2000
Chrono Trigger
Quake
Resident Evil
Super Mario 64
Tomb Raider
Final Fantasy VII
Goldeneye 007
Ultima Online
Final Fantasy Tactics
Grim Fandango
Metal Gear Solid
StarCraft
Thief: The Dark Project
EverQuest
Silent Hill

2000s

Deus Ex
Diablo II
The Sims
Animal Crossing
Grand Theft Auto III
Ico
Rez
Counter-Strike
Metroid Prime
Splinter Cell
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Cave Story
Half-Life 2
Katamari Damacy
World of Warcraft
Guitar Hero
Shadow of the Colossus
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Gears of War
Ōkami
Wii Sports
BioShock
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Desktop Tower Defense
Portal
Rock Band
Braid
Angry Birds
Demon’s Souls
Flower

2010s

Batman: Arkham City
Mass Effect 3

Was born in 1990. Bolded all of the games that I have either beaten or played extensively.

Pretty decent list. Some questionable entries but if you look at them as representing the series overall its not so blatantly bad.

kswiston

Agreed.. some of these games I have no idea what they are (namely, Marathon and Myth) or have no clue how they were influential (Wing Commander, Paperboy). Not sure what exactly this list is trying to be.

Disagree about the "no western RPGs of note", at least they have the best one on there (Ultima IV).

Marathon and Myth were old Bungie games. Marathon was a FPS game that was originally a Mac title, and Myth was a RTS game in the late 90s. I am guessing that some of the people making this list are long time Mac fans, since I don't think either were all that popular/influential on PC.

AntMurda

No Ocarina of Time. No Resident Evil 4. No Super Mario Galaxy. No Super Metroid.

You are talking about some of the most talked about, highest ranked, beloved games out there.

Meh, it's Time on gaming. That's like if GAF made a list on TOP 10 sex positions.

1. Clamshell.
2. Immisionary position.
3. Dog eat dog style.
4. Mexican Halloween.
5. 1969.
6. Frotage.
7. Gangnam Style.
8. Panty Shot.
9. Feel her under the apricot, or FHUTA.
10. Peach melba.

szaromir

Banned
They missed some great games (eg. BG2, HOMM3, Monkey Island), but great to see all 3 of those:

Marathon

The total omission of Relic makes me sad though. :(

Zomba13

Is it me or is that list horrible? Like so many games that are there have superior versions or sequels (Sonic 3 is much better than the original for instance, REmake is much better than RE1 on PS etc).

Esiquio

Metroid Prime is on there. I'm okay with that list.

Edit: WAIT. No OoT or LTTP????!?!!!!!! Or Pokémon????!!! WTF????!!!!

Top Bottom