• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brazilians are losing faith in democracy and considering a return to military rule

Kid Ying

Structural racism is always about social order. It's not about prejudice. You're most likely black because you're poor, you're poor most likely because you're black.

The numbers shows that it's even worst than in the USA.
Thanks. Will read. I'm not one to go out there to debate just so i can read my words. I can say only about my experience and from those around me, so it's always anedotical. Don't mind seeing other realities.

The reason why Brazilians view themselves as less racist is due to this concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusotropicalism

which is bullshit since the Portuguese were as brutal, if not more, than other colonial powers.

I can confirm. The same thing exist in every country until there is proper historical work and conscientization. People hardly realize that slavery was a real thing down here (Uruguay). In Argentina, most people think that they were no slaves nor africans neither. Most of them were massacred during the 19th century.

I'm pretty sure that before the civil right movement, most US Whites would think that slavery was not that harsh.

The "nice and gentle" brazil didn't mind sending military force in Uruguay during the 19th century, to capture tens of thousands runaways slaves.

Thanks. Will read. I'm not one to go out there to debate just so i can read my words. I can say only about my experience and from those around me, so it's always anedotical. Don't mind seeing other realities.

(y) Kudos to you

The reason why Brazilians view themselves as less racist is due to this concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusotropicalism

which is bullshit since the Portuguese were as brutal, if not more, than other colonial powers.

Isn't even more insidious because they were effecting trying to wipe out blackness as much as possible. Like it was their duty to, definitely some savior complex as well. Actually erasing via assimilation was more effective than isolation like they did in the US>

Eylos

Banned
I can confirm. The same thing exist in every country until there is proper historical work and conscientization. People hardly realize that slavery was a real thing down here (Uruguay). In Argentina, most people think that they were no slaves nor africans neither. Most of them were massacred during the 19th century.

I'm pretty sure that before the civil right movement, most US Whites would think that slavery was not that harsh.

The "nice and gentle" brazil didn't mind sending military force in Uruguay during the 19th century, to capture tens of thousands runaways slaves.

(y) Kudos to you

Its the same thing, in the South of Brazil.

Only good Latin American President I have heard of is Pepe Mujica.

"""""""good""""""

Mujica is beloved internationally due to the social changes that came with him, but his government hurt Uruguay"s economy. I recommend talking to a uruguayan about him, that gives a much better picture about his years in power.

NeonZ

Nah. These two are more relevant internally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_democracy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racial_whitening

The second one isn't generally openly mentioned, but it's clearly the actual basis for Brazil's attitude towards race.

I have a (mixed, actually, but still mostly Black looking) Black grandmother, and my skin clearly isn't actually "pure" White, but most of the documents I've had throughout my life have just classified me as "White", not even "pardo" or whatever, aside from a single one by the army. However, I have a brother who is completely White looking and I've seen people praising him for his light skin several times.

Although I've never suffered any direct prejudice, light skin is clearly seen as a positive trait, which in a larger scale likely weights on maintaining inequalities. On the other hand, I'm not sure stronger racial identities and racial based affirmative action really would be a positive addition in our case. Even some of the cases of affirmative action already implemented had to move from auto-declaration to control groups classifying the candidates based on their phenotype. Obviously something must be done, but I don't think just copying the North American model is the answer here.

mantidor

I'm not from the United States and I'm pretty sure I can educate a couple of people from there about their political climate.

This is actually incredibly arrogant lol

I'm colombian too, and yes, we have racism, and as Brazil our racism is intertwined with class, but it's different, the oppressive systems you talk about are much more about class though, in Colombia is actually a lot about regionalism as well and how centralist our country was. Again, countries have different cultures, that come from different histories, thinking that the views from the US should be applied everywhere is actually... cultural imperialism, which is hilariously ironic.

Just to point out how different the issue of race in particular is, and this is something that I've already mentioned a couple of times in these threads, I'm considered white here in Brazil, which is insane for me, while my parents call me "negrito" back in Colombia because I'm in the darkest shade within the whole family, in no way shape or form I would be white in Colombia, but being middle class gives me privileges people with my exact same skintone in poorer places do not have, hell, even people with lighter skintones than mine have it worst depending of the place. Don't even get me started with LGBT issues and how they differ from country to country.

But I guess is inevitable, absolute objectiveness is impossible and we as human will see things through our own lenses, which is why "hands on" experience is so important, you can read a million books about a place and write a thousand words in every neogaf politics/racism thread, you only really know when you are actually living there.

Which, seriously, its what really worries me the most about this Brazil situation, Bolsonaro is terrifying, and even with the parallels there, calling him Trump 2.0 is such a simplistic conclusion. I think there is this big disconnect between the left, which seems to adhere to all this US narratives and arguments, and the actual people of Brazil, and that might be what will give him the win at the end. He might be scum, but he is hearing the people that vote, just like Trump did, and he's playing them on their fears.

Eylos

Banned

I'm colombian too, and yes, we have racism, and as Brazil our racism is intertwined with class, but it's different, the oppressive systems you talk about are much more about class though, in Colombia is actually a lot about regionalism as well and how centralist our country was. Again, countries have different cultures, that come from different histories, thinking that the views from the US should be applied everywhere is actually... cultural imperialism, which is hilariously ironic.

Just to point out how different the issue of race in particular is, and this is something that I've already mentioned a couple of times in these threads, I'm considered white here in Brazil, which is insane for me, while my parents call me "negrito" back in Colombia because I'm in the darkest shade within the whole family, in no way shape or form I would be white in Colombia, but being middle class gives me privileges people with my exact same skintone in poorer places do not have, hell, even people with lighter skintones than mine have it worst depending of the place. Don't even get me started with LGBT issues and how they differ from country to country.

But I guess is inevitable, absolute objectiveness is impossible and we as human will see things through our own lenses, which is why "hands on" experience is so important, you can read a million books about a place and write a thousand words in every neogaf politics/racism thread, you only really know when you are actually living there.

Which, seriously, its what really worries me the most about this Brazil situation, Bolsonaro is terrifying, and even with the parallels there, calling him Trump 2.0 is such a simplistic conclusion. I think there is this big disconnect between the left, which seems to adhere to all this US narratives and arguments, and the actual people of Brazil, and that might be what will give him the win at the end. He might be scum, but he is hearing the people that vote, just like Trump did, and he's playing them on their fears.

It depends where. I Will say something polemic,the more You Go to the south more racist and white Brazil becomes. I studied with holocaust deniers and nazi sympathizers. The Black movement was attacked last year by neo nazists for example.
There's Aprox. 100.000 nazi sympathizers in the South, and its where exists more neonazi groups

http://noticias.r7.com/cidades/regi...-100-mil-simpatizantes-do-neonazismo-10062014

http://www.ebc.com.br/noticias/bras...-sul-concentra-maioria-dos-grupos-neonazistas

Racial democracy is a myth i Studied with only one Black Guy during my high School in a Rich kids school in the highshool graduation 150 students 3 were Black/Mixed. In a public college with affirmative action my graduation day had 90 students 5 Black/mixed. The class that graduated before me without affirmative action had 0, I went to the graduation party of these students, the only Black guys were the security.

Im not making this up or exagerating.

mantidor

It depends where. I Will say something polemic,the more You Go to the south more racist and white Brazil becomes. I studied with holocaust deniers and nazi sympathizers. The Black movement was attacked last year by neo nazists for example.
There's Aprox. 100.000 nazi sympathizers in the South, and its where exists more neonazi groups

http://noticias.r7.com/cidades/regi...-100-mil-simpatizantes-do-neonazismo-10062014

http://www.ebc.com.br/noticias/bras...-sul-concentra-maioria-dos-grupos-neonazistas

Racial democracy is a myth i Studied with only one Black Guy during my high School in a Rich kids school in the highshool graduation 150 students 3 were Black/Mixed. In a public college with affirmative action my graduation day had 90 students 5 Black/mixed. The class that graduated before me without affirmative action had 0, I went to the graduation party of these students, the only Black guys were the security.

Im not making this up or exagerating.

Well this is a different thing, you are talking about quotas, of course this actually happens. It's also important to note Brazil's demographic distribution, what is considered "south" in Brazil is what is south of the biggest city, São Paulo, which as you can see it's actually a small portion of the country.

Ok, so I'm going to be as clear as possible here.

YES, there is a need of some sort of quota system in education and elsewhere because colonialism and slave trade still have lasting effects in society.

NO, US-like affirmative action in Brazil, specifically choosing people based on their physical appearance and apparent physical "black" traits (like seriously watch the documentary, that's what the whole quota system is about!), in a country as mixed and diverse as Brazil, is absolutely insane.

KillLaCam

Banned
So I know military rule (for an extended period of time) isn't usually a good thing. But I can see why ppl would want it right now. No one could really know if it would be better or worse than what's going on right now though. Military takeovers are a sketchy thing

Shauni

So I know military rule (for an extended period of time) isn't usually a good thing. But I can see why ppl would want it right now. No one could really know if it would be better or worse than what's going on right now though. Military takeovers are a sketchy thing

Uh, the big problem is you may want it now, but when you decide you don't want it, you are just shit out of fucking luck. You can't just vote out a military dictatorship like you can a leader you don't want. I'm not sure about Brazil's transition from dictatorship to democracy, but usually that doesn't happen without blood.

Hopeford

Wow, I had no idea it had gotten this bad...am Brazilian/Canadian but only go to Brazil like once a year to visit family.

How exaggerated is this article? Like, is there a real chance of military rule coming back? That's terrifying.

Uh, the big problem is you may want it now, but when you decide you don't want it, you are just shit out of fucking luck. You can't just vote out a military dictatorship like you can a leader you don't want. I'm not sure about Brazil's transition from dictatorship to democracy, but usually that doesn't happen without blood.
Didn't Franco and Pinochet kind of step down?

I mean those two assholes died of old age much better fate than Ceausescu.

barber

Didn't Franco and Pinochet kind of step down?

I mean those two assholes died of old age much better fate than Ceausescu.
Eeeh, Franco died and his right hand man who would have continued the dictatorship had been assassinated so we got a king who decided it may be good to have a democracy because the public kinda demanded it, even then we nearly got another military coup. A better example of pacific change would be the portuguese one which had a popular revolt forcing them out in a not violent way and probably showed the high rankings in spain that it was better if they did the samd.
Still during the dictatorship we had lots of fucked up things and repression of minorities.

Apzu

Maybe they should just stop messing around with e-voting and go back to a paper based voting system.

https://youtu.be/7M_U9SSPXn0
Yeah, about that. I also don't like the idea of e-voting and I would much rather a paper based system, but it's really not one of our most urgent problems right now. There are a lot of worse practices that should be tackled first, besides a lot of people like e-voting and changing back to paper might make people stop voting (even though we have mandatory voting we have had abstentions of over 20% in the last elections as is). The problem here is a lot more how people choose who they are going to vote for rather than how they vote for them. The party system is ignored by a lot of people, most choose who they will vote for based on looks, charisma and some sketchy promises for that campaign rather than any ideological trait, so you may have people voting for a "leftist" candidate for mayor and in the same election voting for a far-right candidate for congress. To give a better idea of what this does, we currently have 25 different parties in the national Congress, so the government needs the support of at least 6 or 7 "big" parties to have a majority and even then that's not guaranteed because politicians vote more along what they want rather than vote according to what the party wants. Then if you want to do any major change you need 2/3 of congress to amend the constitution and you do need to do that a lot, because we have a constitution that tries to tackle everything. So far our constitution has had 91 amendments and it's only 29 years-old.

Wow, I had no idea it had gotten this bad...am Brazilian/Canadian but only go to Brazil like once a year to visit family.

How exaggerated is this article? Like, is there a real chance of military rule coming back? That's terrifying.
It's a bit exaggerated, I don't think we are really that close to actually having another military rule, but there are a lot of people who want that. Right now I guess the closest we would have to a military rule is if Bolsonaro wins the election and after a while tries a coup, but even that is not that probable. I still think Bolsonaro has no chance of winning, as he doesn't have the resources to do a country-wide campaign. He'd need massive donations to make that possible, he'd need political contacts with mayors or at least important local groups to make rallys, he'd need big TV campaign ads and he will likely not have most of that.

^This. You may want a military dictatorship all you want, but you can never control how long it will last and how gruesome it will be. Our last military dictatorship began in 1964 because a lot of politicians wanted to out the "communist" president and they believed the military would do a really fast coup and then return the government to them. They were wrong. The military government lasted until 1985 and during this period some of the politicians who supported the coup were later persecuted by it. Also people who defend the military dictatorship seem to forget that a lot of our corrupt politicians got to power thanks to the military, a famous one is Paulo Maluf who started his political career by being appointed by the military to several different governmental roles, today he is involved in a lot of corruption scandals and Interpol even has an extradiction order to send him to the US for prosecution.

"""""""good""""""

Mujica is beloved internationally due to the social changes that came with him, but his government hurt Uruguay"s economy. I recommend talking to a uruguayan about him, that gives a much better picture about his years in power.

I'm uruguayan and his government didn't hurt our economy.
However, he is far from that utopian dreamer idol that he project internationally, he have good sides and bad sides. He is very populist sometime, in the worst sense of the word. He can be also very "business friendly" when he needed too. He also made some very anti-ecological moves because there is no green movement in Uruguay, so virtually no political loss.

Eylos

Banned

There IS, i think a small chance, general Mourão Said last week about intervention to correct the corruption If the judiciary cant solve It. General vilas boas Said this IS not true, but Said that the army can do a intervention If Brazil is a Chaos.

Platy

So either if corruption can't be cleaned or if the country is a chaos ?

We are fucked =P

There are even some speculation about the judge in place to clean the corruption being corrupted ...

Jotaka

We are fucked =P

There are even some speculation about the judge in place to clean the corruption being corrupted ...

Most Brazilians have this delusion dream that there some magical solution to our problems. They thing a single person can fix it.... I blame this stupid religious indoctrination about Holy Saver that can do fix everything in no time.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

It's very exaggerated.

Sometimes you need order to reign in on chaos.

Salazar came to be in Portugal because the 1st Republic was in a near 20 year Chaos after the ousting of the Monarchy in the early 1910s.

The military made a coup in the late 1920s.
Salazar was appointed as Minister of Finance to clean house and reign on corruption.
He later became Prime Minister and ended the Chaos, ended corruption and got the economy back on track.

Granted true that he got worse with age when it came down on repression during the 1960s.
But his initial debut in the 1930s was an historical necessity to clean house and restore order, function and the economy.

He got too paranoid over each passing decade and that is where his negatives lie

Isn't even more insidious because they were effecting trying to wipe out blackness as much as possible. Like it was their duty to, definitely some savior complex as well. Actually erasing via assimilation was more effective than isolation like they did in the US>

Receipts? Seriously, I want to read about this.

He got too paranoid over each passing decade and that is where his negatives lie
He didn't just go paranoid, he went full-fascist dictator during the late 30s and never really changed even after being closer to the allies at the end of WW2. I don't want to undermine the notion that there were some important positive aspects during his period in power but let's not get carried away.

Eylos

Banned

We are fucked =P

General Mourão:
https://oglobo.globo.com/brasil/gen...de-exercito-impor-solucao-para-crise-21835609

General vilas boas

https://www.metrojornal.com.br/bras...caos-autoriza-intervencao-diz-comandante.html

There's the Full interview of vilas boas:

https://youtu.be/nJypgTJVtj8

I dont think It Will happen, but there's a chance the generals said.

Platy

I dont think It Will happen, but there's a chance the generals said.

I was just joking that "because of chaos, crysis and corruption" is something that can be used as an excuse since 1500 to the year 3000 =P

for non brazilians : 1500 was when the portuguese arrived here

Salazar came to be in Portugal because the 1st Republic was in a near 20 year Chaos after the ousting of the Monarchy in the early 1910s.

The military made a coup in the late 1920s.
Salazar was appointed as Minister of Finance to clean house and reign on corruption.
He later became Prime Minister and ended the Chaos, ended corruption and got the economy back on track.

Granted true that he got worse with age when it came down on repression during the 1960s.
But his initial debut in the 1930s was an historical necessity to clean house and restore order, function and the economy.

What do you think about Mussolini ? Please give us more hot takes

Eylos

Banned
I was just joking that "because of chaos, crysis and corruption" is something that can be used as an excuse since 1500 to the year 3000 =P

for non brazilians : 1500 was when the portuguese arrived here
Yeah, i share your worry with this word

Well this is a different thing, you are talking about quotas, of course this actually happens. It's also important to note Brazil's demographic distribution, what is considered "south" in Brazil is what is south of the biggest city, São Paulo, which as you can see it's actually a small portion of the country.

Ok, so I'm going to be as clear as possible here.

YES, there is a need of some sort of quota system in education and elsewhere because colonialism and slave trade still have lasting effects in society.

NO, US-like affirmative action in Brazil, specifically choosing people based on their physical appearance and apparent physical "black" traits (like seriously watch the documentary, that's what the whole quota system is about!), in a country as mixed and diverse as Brazil, is absolutely insane.

Stop trying to make racial prejudice and social prejudice be two wildly different things. Both are intertwined and closely related as how the other is perceived.

Just to make your point about Brazil not having "racial prejudice" moot (like it's a competition to see which type of prejudice is worse, racial or social, but curiously never tackling the root cause), there was a single black kid on my High School and even though his family was one of the better offs financially on the school, he was subject to all type of racist remarks during his whole school life. People gang up primarily because of the color of their skin and things escalate from that. Both perceptions about race and class are so linked that in this case it doesn't matter at all if he was very rich, he still got shit for being black first and foremost.

Hopeford

There IS, i think a small chance, general Mourão Said last week about intervention to correct the corruption If the judiciary cant solve It. General vilas boas Said this IS not true, but Said that the army can do a intervention If Brazil is a Chaos.

It's a bit exaggerated, I don't think we are really that close to actually having another military rule, but there are a lot of people who want that. Right now I guess the closest we would have to a military rule is if Bolsonaro wins the election and after a while tries a coup, but even that is not that probable. I still think Bolsonaro has no chance of winning, as he doesn't have the resources to do a country-wide campaign. He'd need massive donations to make that possible, he'd need political contacts with mayors or at least important local groups to make rallys, he'd need big TV campaign ads and he will likely not have most of that.

It's very exaggerated.

Thanks guys, appreciate it a lot! I should really be keeping up with Brazilian news more often...I need to work on that.

Actually, one more question:

I remember that back when I was a kid and lived in Brazil, that one TV channel basically controlled public opinion. "TV Globo?"

Are they still as influential as I remember or have they stopped being so important with the rise of the internet and stuff?

(I mean I say that but I got no idea if Globo was as influential as I remember or if it was more of a thing in my hometown, waaaaaaay up north in Para)

Eylos

Banned
Thanks guys, appreciate it a lot! I should really be keeping up with Brazilian news more often...I need to work on that.

Actually, one more question:

I remember that back when I was a kid and lived in Brazil, that one TV channel basically controlled public opinion. "TV Globo?"

Are they still as influential as I remember or have they stopped being so important with the rise of the internet and stuff?

(I mean I say that but I got no idea if Globo was as influential as I remember or if it was more of a thing in my hometown, waaaaaaay up north in Para)

Yes its the same thing. Less influential than the past but still is.

Stop trying to make racial prejudice and social prejudice be two wildly different things. Both are intertwined and closely related as how the other is perceived.

Just to make your point about Brazil not having "racial prejudice" moot (like it's a competition to see which type of prejudice is worse, racial or social, but curiously never tackling the root cause), there was a single black kid on my High School and even though his family was one of the better offs financially on the school, he was subject to all type of racist remarks during his whole school life. People gang up primarily because of the color of their skin and things escalate from that. Both perceptions about race and class are so linked that in this case it doesn't matter at all if he was very rich, he still got shit for being black first and foremost.

Are you sure it was not in the US ? We have a different culture. We are so mixed you can't even tell us apart.

carrossel.png

Which is black ? Which is white ?
So confusing.

/s

When did I do this? I'm literally agreeing with you. You people are impossible.

You're constantly saying that it's a class issue rather than a racial issue. It's not.
It's why it's important to acquire some academical knowledge beside anecdotes.

Also, affirmative action came from grassroot organization in Brazil, not by some cultural imperialism agenda to negate "the exceptionality of the brazilian racial order".

mantidor

You're constantly saying that it's a class issue rather than a racial issue. It's not.

Also, affirmative action came from grassroot organization in Brazil, not by some cultural imperialism agenda to negate "the exceptionality of the brazilian racial order".

I've never said that.

Since you don't bother reading I'm just going to stop replying to you because I'm obviously wasting my time.

Receipts? Seriously, I want to read about this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_Brazil

"Immigration discussion and policy in the 19th century.

[...]

In Brazil, particularly in São Paulo, the dominant idea was that national workers were unable to develop the country, and that only foreign workers would be able to work in a regime of "free" (i.e., wage) labour. The goal was to "whiten" Brazil through new immigrants and through future miscegenation in which former slaves would disappear by becoming "whiter"".

It makes sense in an awful way, if you believe the european race is superior of course that race will impose over Africans if you promote the idea of mixing the two. It's really a huge contrast with the US segregation policies, even if the root of both ways of thinking is the same racism.

I've never said that.

Since you don't bother reading I'm just going to stop replying to you because I'm obviously wasting my time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_Brazil

"Immigration discussion and policy in the 19th century.

[...]

In Brazil, particularly in São Paulo, the dominant idea was that national workers were unable to develop the country, and that only foreign workers would be able to work in a regime of "free" (i.e., wage) labour. The goal was to "whiten" Brazil through new immigrants and through future miscegenation in which former slaves would disappear by becoming "whiter"".

It makes sense in an awful way, if you believe the european race is superior of course that race will impose over Africans if you promote the idea of mixing the two. It's really a huge contrast with the US segregation policies, even if the root of both ways of thinking is the same racism.
I read the article, but by then Brazil was already an independent nation since the 1820s. Before Brazil's independence the idea of Portuguese in the colonies having children with other ethnicities was already a somewhat common thing throughout the Portuguese empire. That's pretty much one of the few things that distinguished the Portuguese empire from other colonial powers of the time.

barber

Yeah, sadly in a lot of countries of latino america just being black will make people think you are poor and of lower class. Of course if you just show you are filthy reach they will treat you better, but still worse than other more white people.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not even showing off, but rather trying to say that just because I'm not from x country I can talk about its problems. Saying otherwise is essentially attacking the person rather than his or her arguments.

I mean, there are hundreds of academic papers on Colombia that are written by foreigner. I doubt you will dismiss those papers purely because of that.

Not to mention that ignorance on political issues is always present in the majority of society. Is it really a stretch to affirm what I said? (Also sorry if it came off as arrogant, was totally not my intention heh)

I agree with the rest of your post though. I guess we all have different viewpoints of things. But take Choco for instance, many people from there actually consider their treatment as systemic racism. I can't seem to find a link on it, but I'm sure I read it in El Espectador. I'll owe you the link :p

I'm uruguayan and his government didn't hurt our economy.
However, he is far from that utopian dreamer idol that he project internationally, he have good sides and bad sides. He is very populist sometime, in the worst sense of the word. He can be also very "business friendly" when he needed too. He also made some very anti-ecological moves because there is no green movement in Uruguay, so virtually no political loss.

Thanks for answering man! Glad to know I was (kinda) wrong

Top Bottom