• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2017

Easily.

If a game like fucking ARMS can sell a million, this Mario SRPG is going to do at least 2 million. Probably more if it gets stellar reviews. I'll probably pick it up even though the Rabbids are awful if it has lots of content, and isn't easy as fuck like every Ubisoft game.

Yeah. Even people who really dislike the Rabbids will get it because of the quality of the game.

Count me in for 2 copies :D

Oh my 😮

RRockman

Banned
Easily.

If a game like fucking ARMS can sell a million, this Mario SRPG is going to do at least 2 million. Probably more if it gets stellar reviews. I'll probably pick it up even though the Rabbids are awful if it has lots of content, and isn't easy as fuck like every Ubisoft game.

Why ya gotta dis ARMS?

I think Mario SRPG will do marvelously as well. It's a novel idea with what looks to be great exectution.

Can't say I'm getting it though. I'll be too busy saving up for the bloodbath next month. I'lll get before the years out though.

Cepheus

I stand by my prediction I made a while ago that Ultra Street Fighter 2 will eventually sell more copies than Street Fighter 5. It staying in the top ten for this long is great!

I stand by my prediction I made a while ago that Ultra Street Fighter 2 will eventually sell more copies than Street Fighter 5. It staying in the top ten for this long is great!
It's not in the top 10 though?

Unless you mean Switch top 10 which likely doesn't equate to many sales. I doubt Cars Driven to Win and FATE/ANIMU are pushing many units and they're in similar spots.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
They need to go back to the SF64 model and stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Fast-paced arcade shooter gameplay with multiple paths and endings for replayability.
Starfox 64 is my favorite game in the series, I'm tired of it, the last like 3 games have been doing nothing but catering to fans of that game, we need a refinement and continuation of starfox assault., we get nowhere just demanding starfox64 again, please God no.

noobie

Banned
Yep. More games = more sales. Why did physical game sales fall so much between 2010-2015? The number of new games coming out went from 750+ to 200+. People were talking all kinds of nonsense about people going to mobile or consoles dying when in fact publishers just made fewer games.

Same thing with exclusives. Not a lot of exclusives = not a lot of sales or importance. More exclusives = more sales and more importance.

It ain't rocket science. although a lot of people try to make it out like it is.

Unfortunately no, although we're always pushing to make the deliverable more informative.

Correct.
I agree with your point of view but on the other end you have to ask the question why developers / publishers released fewer games? Probably because they were not getting the desired sales/profits from them. But I don't think that developer / publishers released fewer games because they felt so. Or may be because games are taking longer to be made shop fewer games are made. Or may be because number of people required to develop a game has increased exponentially so a studio can't release more then one game in 2 years even after increase in number of developers where they were Previously able to release a game a year. Like we are so waiting for first game from Santa Monica studios polyphony studios media molecule and we are in the fourth year of the console.

Three games from the Call of Duty franchise reached the top 20 in July, with COD:MWR joining June carryovers COD:BLOPSIII and COD:IW.

Over the past 12 months, Call of Duty is the #1 selling video game franchise and Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare the best-selling game..

no..... gaf told me this is a franchise on it's last legs... how.... how can this be...

noobie

Banned
Dear Mat I have one question, I hope you can answer. How the exclusives of PS4 had impacted softwares sales of PS4. Let me explain it...

Had it expanded the market like PS4 owners bought regular 3Rd party and catalog titles in the same numbers and additionally have bought PS4 exclusives or the sales or the sales of other titles have been negatively impacted or the sales of other titles have positively impacted, more people bought PS4 because of exclusives and then they bought 3Rd party titles and catalog titles also.

I think this question has multiple dimension. Sales in terms on numbers, sales in term of percentage with respect to PS4 exclusives, sales of 3Rd party titles with respect to the sales of 3Rd party on Xbox one. And may be other ways.

But your comment on this subject will be very worthy.

Welfare

no..... gaf told me this is a franchise on it's last legs... how.... how can this be...

Infinite Warfare doing ~50% of Black Ops 3 still makes it the best selling game for the past year.

I'm still surprised IW pulls in less revenue than Black Ops 3. That's just a failure for the series and hopefully WW2 pulls it back.

Mory Dunz

Yes. Unfortunately, I can't give the split, sorry.

Hm, Why are MK8 and MK8D counted together?
Remasters aren't usually are they?

was Last of US and Last of US PS4 counted together? I don't remember.

There's no reason to doubt Mario + Rabbids. I hope it sells a few million at least.

it will.

However, I do wonder about it's first month.
A couple of Swtich games have debuted lower than I thought. It's starting to make me wonder if Xenoblade 2 can even match the 200k of X, given the debuts for bigger games so far.

even if it doesn't it'll have better legs though due to the userbase growing at least.

LordKano

A couple of Swtich games have debuted lower than I thought. It's starting to make me wonder if Xenoblade 2 can even match the 200k of X, given the debuts for bigger games so far.

Uh, every Switch game so far debuted higher than their original versions/previous entry though ?

Zelda and Mario kart staying strong
they really are the "pick up with a Switch " games

Still. That's why i am more happy to see ARMS and Splatoon 2 in the charts
Especially good to see Splatoon at number one. Hope it and ARMS keep going
I wonder about their digital sales though

Also. Switch at number one. Hope nintendo can keep the stock somewhat going

Also. Congrats to Crash. Doing just as well as in Europe

Kill3r7

Infinite Warfare doing ~50% of Black Ops 3 still makes it the best selling game for the past year.

I'm still surprised IW pulls in less revenue than Black Ops 3. That's just a failure for the series and hopefully WW2 pulls it back.

I know it does not matter for our purposes but IW is a much better SP experience than BLOPS3. Clearly no one cares and I think WWII will show that people still want "boots on the ground".

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
This is because of the prevalence of digital sales like PSN Flash Sales or sales on Xbox Live. And, of course, STEAM sales.

If we were to do a Unit based chart, the monthly charts could really just be a representation of what games had the steepest discounts on the digital storefronts
OK, that makes sense. Was this effect something that you were not expecting, when you started to integrate the digital sales to your analysis, or did it fall well within your guesstimates?

What do you mean?
Just that you mentioned super genres (e.g. Shooter) and Genres (1st person shooter). Is the complete list of all super genres and genres available somewhere for us weirdly interested nerds to check out? How big of a headache is it to categorize games nowadays?

We construct, analyze and report on sales data. What more practical purpose for such classifications be outside of using them to dissect the data?
I just have this annoying habit of responding to my boss's requests for reports by asking, what kinds of decisions will be made based on the information. (Often I get a blank stare in response.) If somebody asked me to calculate game revenues by genres, I would likely ask something exactly like that.

Of course, in your case, the answer might be: "Think carefully, how much you want my money, and then you might want to rephrase the question"...

Mory Dunz

Uh, every Switch game so far debuted higher than their original versions/previous entry though ?

yeah, if it happens it'd just be really weird to see a game like xenoblade debut about the same as ARMS, which had a lot of promotion, etc. Userbase will be bigger at least. And maybe switch has cultivated a small rpg fanbase so far

LordKano

yeah, if it happens it'd just be really weird to see a game like xenoblade debut about the same as ARMS, which had a lot of promotion, etc. Userbase will be bigger at least. And maybe switch has cultivated a small rpg fanbase so far

ARMS is a new IP, a fighting game (niche category) and is launching in may against Xenoblade 2 in the holidays. I wouldn't be surprised if Xenoblade 2 launches higher than ARMS, despite a less important marketing budget allowed.

Mory Dunz

ARMS is a new IP, a fighting game (niche category) and is launching in may against Xenoblade 2 in the holidays. I wouldn't be surprised if Xenoblade 2 launches higher than ARMS, despite a less important marketing budget allowed.

do jrpgs get bumps from holiday launches?

It always struck me as a genre that could launch whenever.

Please I want Xenoblade 2 to sell more than the first two games. I hope Japan comes through since it's on a system that's pretty much a handheld.

Please I want Xenoblade 2 to sell more than the first two games. I hope Japan comes through since it's on a system that's pretty much a handheld.

Barring critical revulsion, I feel like it's fairly likely XC2 will sell better than XC and XCX. Whether it actually sells well is another story.

was Last of US and Last of US PS4 counted together? I don't remember.

Yes, they are.

Case by case basis. Again, tough one to categorize.

I agree with your point of view but on the other end you have to ask the question why developers / publishers released fewer games?

Very short answer? Generally, games got much more expensive/time consuming to make, and the potential return gains didn't keep up with cost increases (you cover a bunch of the reasons why in your post).

Know why Games as a Service is what it is right now and getting more and more popular ? Because live plans allow for the returns to meet or exceed, very generally speaking, those cost increases.

OK, that makes sense. Was this effect something that you were not expecting, when you started to integrate the digital sales to your analysis, or did it fall well within your guesstimates?

Was expected.

Is the complete list of all super genres and genres available somewhere for us weirdly interested nerds to check out?

Sure:

6iHX1uL.jpg

If somebody asked me to calculate game revenues by genres, I would likely ask something exactly like that.

As part of any long range business planning exercise for a publisher, a basic understanding of sales trends among Super Genres and Genres is a need. It's part of the basic fact gathering for the market.

It needs to be at least as good as the first game.
But it probably has the best chance out of any game in the franchise.

On Wii it took awhile to localize and it was pirated over a million times.
On Wii U...it was on Wii U.
Here it's on a healthy system early on and the first modern portable AAA JRPG

JRPGs are generally just as ''niche'' as fighting games. Few big series (Pokemon and FF) and huge gap after that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
JRPGs are generally just as ''niche'' as fighting games. Few big series (Pokemon and FF) and huge gap after that.
I mean, just looking at this year's top 10, For Honor is #3 (and is a new IP to boot), Injustice 2 is #6, and there's not a single JRPG in sight.

For Honor is just behind Final Fantasy XV on the trailing 12 month chart to boot, which includes the full lifecycle of both games, and is missing significant uPlay PC sales for For Honor.

I mean, just looking at this year's top 10, For Honor is #3 (and is a new IP to boot), Injustice 2 is #6, and there's not a single JRPG in sight.

For Honor is just behind Final Fantasy XV on the trailing 12 month chart to boot, which includes the full lifecycle of both games, and is missing significant uPlay PC sales for For Honor.

Oh yeah. For some reason didn't even think about For Honor. Then when you factor that there are also Smash and Mortal Kombat that sell millions in US JRPGs are actually decent bit more niche than fighting games. I don't even know can we use term niche for fighting games when you look at all these titles.

donny2112

Last console Fire Emblem was 2008, Radiant Dawn. Which bombed.

It was the bomb, yes. Harder initially than Path of Radiance, but it seemed to be meant as a follow-on for those who were already familiar with Path of Radiance, anyways. /obliviousness

Yeah, FE was on the verge of death before Awakening. That's why they threw everything under the sun into it. DLC of old games, marriage system, anime style, etc. They figured if it was their last one, they'd go out having given their all. What a turnaround. Hope there is a GC/Wii VC on Switch and they bring out Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn to a new audience!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
It just makes me wonder what kind of budget fire emblem switch is gonna have, it could potentially be the most expensive SRPG ever made.

Top Bottom