• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

ShadyK54

The holder of All For One looks fuuuucked. It'd be cool if we got a flashback in the future showing their fight. I assume
it's where All Might got fucked up
as well.

Information dump indeed, but it was anticipated & necessary. Even hype, thanks to the music.

Students vs. Pros is gonna be fuuun.

The holder of All For One looks fuuuucked. It'd be cool if we got a flashback in the future showing their fight. I assume
it's where All Might got fucked up
as well.

Information dump indeed, but it was anticipated & necessary. Even hype, thanks to the music.

Students vs. Pros is gonna be fuuun.

Yeah, they said in the Stain arc epilogue issue that All For One was the guy who put the hole in AM's stomach.

NEO0MJ

Best moment
tumblr_ouxj0c84Lf1uifby2o3_540.gif

tumblr_ouxj0c84Lf1uifby2o2_540.gif

Kids these days are so well built. They make me feel inadequate ;_;

It's hard to disagree that a mass murderer is cool?

Unfortunately it's not that unrealistic that impressionable teenagers would find a guy like Stain cool. Remember all those stories of seemingly normal kids who were lured by IS?

Laiza

Mineta really is garbage.

I wonder who made the call to put him in. Guy gets way too much screen time, especially for how scummy he is.

NEO0MJ

Mineta really is garbage.

I wonder who made the call to put him in. Guy gets way too much screen time, especially for how scummy he is.

I assume the manga writer, Kohei Horikoshi :p

It would be cool if Bones decided to cut his scenes for the anime, though.

Laiza

I assume the manga writer, Kohei Horikoshi :p

It would be cool if Bones decided to cut his scenes for the anime, though.
Well, I mean, he could have been pressured by an editor or his publisher or something. You never really know with these things.

At least he pays for his scumbag behavior in some way. Still, it's a really old-fashioned trope that feels remarkably outdated relative to the rest of the series.

Well, I mean, he could have been pressured by an editor or his publisher or something. You never really know with these things.

At least he pays for his scumbag behavior in some way. Still, it's a really old-fashioned trope that feels remarkably outdated relative to the rest of the series.
Horikoshi likes Mineta.

It's basically the same as when people say Darth Vader's cool, so
People in-universe saying Darth Vader is cool?

I'm not talking about real people commenting on fictional characters, rather the stance of other fictional characters towards them in the same work, and how it reflects poorly on the individual espousing that view point.

SalvaPot

It's hard to disagree that a mass murderer is cool?

Sure thing.

I mean, what you are arguing is kind of the point of the character. Stain has a strong moral code and his conviction does have a point, Hero Society is based on fame and prestige and it seems most heroes do it for that, not for altruism.

Then again, he fucking murders people and is a danger to society. So the entire point of his character is that he has virtue but goes wrong about how he applies it. And he is saying stuff society is already thinking, when having a powerful, good quirk makes you better than others, while having a detrimental quirk makes you feared, even if you are not bad. While a weak quirk makes you "normal", almost a second-class citizen.

He is seen as "cool" in the video because the context of the video is him standing up to his convictions and stopping heroes on their tracks. Also why the series goes out of their way to tell you he is wrong.

rackham

Banned
GAFers sees a lot themselves in Mineta and can't stand him for that.

Joke or not he's the most common anime trope character/idea in the show. It's boring, ridiculous, pathetic, immoral and just doesn't belong in a show about characters trying to be heroes.

How in the fuck was he not kicked out of school immediately...oh wait- Japan..

Should that even be an excuse at this point though?

edit: if you think that he should be there for humor, I disagree. The show has a lot of great humor that doesn't involve the worst kind of annoying perversion.

Mineta's scenes from the episode are lifted from the manga verbatim.

Even Jirou's comment of not getting mentioned.

Joke or not he's the most common anime trope character/idea in the show. It's boring, ridiculous, pathetic, immoral and just doesn't belong in a show about characters trying to be heroes.

edit: if you think that he should be there for humor, I disagree. The show has a lot of great humor that doesn't involve the worst kind of annoying perversion

When the trope gets stale in Japan then it will leave. Until then its not going to matter to them what foreigners think.

Damn they brought up the Summer Camp I really wish we weren't going to have to wait for another season for that, that arc and the following are so damn good. I can predict exactly where the third season will end right now and I WANT TO SEE IT ANIMATED ;_;

Seriously this show is fantastic, the info dump in this last episode was done extremely well and the way they translate it from the manga to anime just continues to impress.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Mineta should have been given One For All to create All Mineta! Giant Muscles, super speed and sticky balls.

ShadyK54

Mineta's scenes from the episode are lifted from the manga verbatim.

Even Jirou's comment of not getting mentioned.

When the trope gets stale in Japan then it will leave. Until then its not going to matter to them what foreigners think.

Nah, but hate it though.
/s

I mean, I get it. It's a dumb, stupid trope. Leave it or done, I wouldn't really particularly care because I barely care about Mineta, but the hate seems super extra which, again, I understand.

Damn they brought up the Summer Camp I really wish we weren't going to have to wait for another season for that, that arc and the following are so damn good. I can predict exactly where the third season will end right now and I WANT TO SEE IT ANIMATED ;_;

Seriously this show is fantastic, the info dump in this last episode was done extremely well and the way they translate it from the manga to anime just continues to impress.

For real.

To add to this: the anime is catching up & will pretty quickly pass up the so far released English volumes. It's crazy.

edit: if you think that he should be there for humor, I disagree. The show has a lot of great humor that doesn't involve the worst kind of annoying perversion.

We seen all of these bland and unfunny perv jokes in the majority of all shounen anime. It's time to focus on some new comedic material.

Blues1990

I really want to see more of Ashido (Alien Queen) & Tokoyami (Jet-Black Hero), as they are easily my favourite characters, both in personality and design. I'm hoping that those two will get some more screen time, as they are too cool looking to be regulated to background characters.

Nightbird

People in-universe saying Darth Vader is cool?

I'm not talking about real people commenting on fictional characters, rather the stance of other fictional characters towards them in the same work, and how it reflects poorly on the individual espousing that view point.

But contrary to the real people, people in-universe don't know all the details.

The one time they got to see Stain outside of news reports was when he told the world that he kills to bring back the original hero spirit.

That will leave an impression on people. Villains see a man who is as sick and tired of heroes as they are, ordinary people and children see vigilante who is a huge hero fanboy.

It doesn't change that he is a mass murderer, but the fact that they got to see him, coupled with the reports that say that criminal activity actually went down in cities he was active in, changed people's cognition.

And that's why that video is always taken down and being uploaded again. The police knows that by presenting stains human side, it makes people reevaluate their opinion on him, and that's dangerous.

This is why I think that people in general (good and bad) being impressed by Stain is actually good writing. But that's only my opinion.

convo

We seen all of these bland and unfunny perv jokes in the majority of all shounen anime. It's time to focus on some new comedic material.

Yeah like that character getting competent,lol
I think Mineta works since his hijinks are few and far but short when they happen.
Compare a few panels of the manga for a gag to when Sanji from One Piece getting knocked out of fighting from nose bleeds because seeing some hot mermaids is making him lose too much blood, that was an actual plot point. That was an actual obstacle they needed to overcome in that specific One Piece arc.

SalvaPot

Mineta is a creep, I don't think anyone here glorifies him as a good role model or anything like that. Creeps can be heroes too.

Puruzi

Banned
Really, is it salt? Hey, if you like Minoru, that's great.
I don't really have any strong feelings towards Mineta one way or the other, I just think it's hilarious that people still get mad about these character types. Been in so many series that it shouldn't even matter anymore.

FTFY.

Even if that's not your intent... you're bloody well saying it.

The way the character is handled does minimize that aspect of the trope, I feel. Usually the gag is structured more like:

-Guy gets an eyeful/cops a feel
-Girl gets embarrassed/humiliated
-Guy gets slapped/punched/whapped/etc

By and large, Mineta just skips straight to step 3, which makes it... well, less bad than usual, that's for sure.

Top Bottom