• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

paskowitz

Truth... but still ice fucking cold. lol

I wish they didn't suck, but they do. No way around it. I much rather have Mclaren in the mix with Ferrari, Merc and RBR than where they are. 3-4 teams that can realistically compete for 1st place is ideal. If Mclaren had a Williams level Merc engine, I am sure they (Alonso) would be fighting for podiums.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I was watch the Australia Grand Prix and my cable went out. 😔

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
F1 is technically one class of racing but all the cars are NOT equal. If you split the field into three categories, top teams (Merc, Ferrari, RBR), mid field (Williams, Force India, etc) and back markers (McLaren, Sauber, etc) it becomes much more entertaining. Treat each like their own little sub race. Pick a team to root for from each level.

Second, if you are US based, Montreal is almost always terrific. Austin as well. I was at the 2011 Canadian GP and it was epic (Button went from last to first in torrential rain). Try to get a seat that is in a good overtaking area. This is something you may want to ask this thread depending on the track.

If you are watching on TV, try to finding a bootleg stream from the UK. Coverage is much better and there are no commercials during the race.

In terms of the racing... DRS and the hybrid engines are the big differences between other series. DRS is a little flap on the rear wing that reduces drag and increases straightline speed. During the race it can only be activated if you are within 1 second of the car in front AND WHEN you are in a specific part of the track, usually a straight. F1 is very aerodynamic dependant. Cars can't pass each other at will. This is why DRS exists. Pit strategy, tire wear, safety cars etc all play a big role as well. There are a lot of micro battles beyond just outright position.

For the drivers, Lewis Hamilton of Merc, Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari, and Fernando Alonso of McLaren are the three most talented drivers. The later is unfortunately on a shit team. This year is looking to be a Lewis vs Seb battle. With that said, it is entirely possible other drivers and even other teams put in a surprising performance. There is also usually a "punching bag driver" who is always shit or crashes a lot. In past years it has been Pastor Maldonado. This year it might be Lance Stroll. Expect humorous memes around this driver or any driver who does poorly.

There are also some cool documentaries that will get you up to speed on the history and lore of the sport, of which there is much. There is a 2013 documentary called 1: Life on the Limit that I highly recommend, which covers a great deal of the history and drama of Formula 1. Here's the trailer.
Also, you'll want to check out this podcast: Shift F1

Also, the doc Senna, about the legendary Ayrton Senna, is really good.

If you want a bit of a history lesson about the safety (or lack of it) at least, watch Grand Prix The Killer Years documentary. Frankly advised viewing for anyone who's not seen it.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14el38_grand-prix-the-killer-years-documentary_auto

Also watching Senna and Rush would be cool. The first is a documentary about one driver, the other is a film about the title fight between Lauda and Hunt in 1976 which included Lauda being nearly burned to death, Hunt beating the shit out a reporter and two of my favourite lines from a film "ITS A FERRARI!!!" and "It's a shitbox!"

I'm sure he'd have been allowed, however, Hamilton would have turned his engine back up and they'd have both just finished where they were as they weren't likely to catch Vettel.

With only 4 engines per driver and the new engines full reliability still not being that well known, it's got to be better in the shirt term to just wind it down and cruise home.

Wow awesome thank you guys. I am currently listening to the Shift F1 podcast, will be watching the docs and movies starting tonight.

paskowitz

Wow awesome thank you guys. I am currently listening to the Shift F1 podcast, will be watching the docs and movies starting tonight.

NP. Definitely check out those movies. All are highly recommended.

I'd also recommend the F1 201# video games if you have a console or PC. They do a pretty good job of representing what an F1 race is like. Personally, I go for the simulation games on PC because I have a force feedback wheel and pedals but F1 is fine on a controller.

Hammer24

Banned
Interesting. Very interesting. Out of curiosity Hammer, was what you just said relevant to Ron Dennis being given his marching orders, or was that for something entirely that I missed over winter?

Nope, what I just wrote is recent news, less than a week old.

mclem

It was interesting for sure. Hamilton even said in the pre-race interview that these new tyre compounds no longer have a cliff, but a slow slope and still let you push a few more laps if you have to. So they bet on Max pitting, but Max took advantage of the slope and pushed a few more laps. It's all strategy and sometimes you have to take that gamble.

Given how long Vettel went on the Ultras, I'm curious if he'd have been able to get the Supers to the end of the race rather than playing it safe with the Softs.

Lach

Given how long Vettel went on the Ultras, I'm curious if he'd have been able to get the Supers to the end of the race rather than playing it safe with the Softs.

Probably, but it's the first race and and the knowledge of the tires still somehow limited. In the situation it didn't make sense to take that risk.

Aiii

So not worth it

Verstappen could.

And while he is someone that is good a tire management, I didn't get the impression he was struggling to keep the pace near the end.

Massa did it, too.

mclem

Probably, but it's the first race and and the knowledge of the tires still somehow limited. In the situation it didn't make sense to take that risk.

Oh, yes, I'm not disputing the call, it was absolutely the right one in the end. More curious exactly where tyre deg lies at the moment - particularly if Lewis had to stop when he did.

tomtom94

Oh, yes, I'm not disputing the call, it was absolutely the right one in the end. More curious exactly where tyre deg lies at the moment - particularly if Lewis had to stop when he did.

I think Hamilton stopping when he did was mainly because of the backmarker (Giovinazzi?) who was pushing him into Vettel, and the hope of the undercut rather than tyre deg. Admittedly though definitely looks like the Mercedes is harder on its tyres than some.

itsgreen

Verstappen could.

And while he is someone that is good a tire management, I didn't get the impression he was struggling to keep the pace near the end.

Massa did it, too.

Vettel did smart, Ferrari thought they would get ahead of Lewis and by copying his strategy they didn't take a risk of earlier degrading tyres (if it were to happen). They knew you either have to make a mistake to be overtaken or the other guy has to be like 2 seconds faster. Once you are in front, you'll remain in front.

frontieruk

I think Hamilton stopping when he did was mainly because of the backmarker (Giovinazzi?) who was pushing him into Vettel, and the hope of the undercut rather than tyre deg. Admittedly though definitely looks like the Mercedes is harder on its tyres than some.

Bottas didn't have any problems. Went further than Vettel on the ultras and was doing fastest laps towards the end.

I think Hamilton panicked, he expected to cruise away and to be able to control the distance with turbulent air like he used to with Ros and Vet/Ferrari just wasnt having any of it.

was so good watching the Merc be kept honest, was suprised by Kimi not being quicker than Bot though.

Interesting fact I just read: the first race of the current seasons of F1, Indycar, WRC and FE were all won by Sebastian/Sebastiens all previously or currently part of the Red Bull Program. Vettel, Bourdais, Ogier and Buemi respectively. Loeb has a chance to make it 5 in the rallycross and Buemi, again, 6th in the WEC.

So if your name is Sebastian or some spelling variation of get yourself involved with Red Bull, you're going places.

I think Hamilton panicked, he expected to cruise away and to be able to control the distance with turbulent air like he used to with Ros and Vet/Ferrari just wasnt having any of it.

This is what tells me that Merc truly believed it was faster than Ferrari and all that downplaying from Hamilton was horseshit.

But in reality we knew that anyway.

Zaru

Interesting fact I just read: the first race of the current seasons of F1, Indycar, WRC and FE were all won by Sebastian/Sebastiens all previously or currently part of the Red Bull Program. Vettel, Bourdais, Ogier and Buemi respectively. Loeb has a chance to make it 5 in the rallycross and Buemi, again, 6th in the WEC.

So if your name is Sebastian or some spelling variation of get yourself involved with Red Bull, you're going places.

If you want your son to be a racing driver, better name him Sebastiæn.

spuckthew

Hamilton/Merc lost through strategy alone. Despite how close the two cars/drivers are this year, Hamilton had track position until lap 16(?) and would have kept the lead and won if he/Merc simply went longer on the ultra-softs. Ferrari capitalised brilliantly. If Hamilton couldn't overtake Verstappen on fresh rubber, Vettel wouldn't have overtaken Hamilton on similarly-aged tyres without him making a mistake.

It's (hopefully) gonna be a fucking great season with the two going toe-to-toe in every race.

Zaru

It's (hopefully) gonna be a fucking great season with the two going toe-to-toe in every race.

If Mercedes retains a qualifying advantage and figures out the tyres/setup, that will probably be enough to cruise into the distance (translation: a safe gap) for at least half of the races (though a bit more honestly than in the last years, imagine the Red Bull years)

But with a closer rival they'll make more mistakes at least and wins of other teams won't just be a freak accident.

Hamilton/Merc lost through strategy alone. Despite how close the two cars/drivers are this year, Hamilton had track position until lap 16(?) and would have kept the lead and won if he/Merc simply went longer on the ultra-softs. Ferrari capitalised brilliantly. If Hamilton couldn't overtake Verstappen on fresh rubber, Vettel wouldn't have overtaken Hamilton on similarly-aged tyres without him making a mistake.

Merc feared an undercut by Ferrari, which could very well have worked out actually.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge

Poor Bourdais, he was unlucky to enter Toro Rosso at the same time as German Jesus. I won't forget that time at Spa when he broke down into tears.

I honestly think Merc simply underestimated Ferrari's race pace. On top of that Ferrari does seem to be gentler on tires. I think Vettel was only managing the gap to Lewis on the opening stint and Lewis wore his tires quickly trying to open up the gap to Vettel, hence the early pit. I think China is gonna show how punchy Ferrari is to Mercedes given that there are more overtaking chances there.

Chris R

I don't know if it's that Ferrari is better on these tires or that Vettel is better on them.

Either way, the compound is garbage, ultras shouldn't be lasting 25+ laps anywhere.

Ark

I honestly think Merc simply underestimated Ferrari's race pace. On top of that Ferrari does seem to be gentler on tires. I think Vettel was only managing the gap to Lewis on the opening stint and Lewis wore his tires quickly trying to open up the gap to Vettel, hence the early pit. I think China is gonna show how punchy Ferrari is to Mercedes given that there are more overtaking chances there.

The whole 'Hamilton is terrible at managing tyres' thing has been done to hell and back.

M52B28

Banned
I guess I have to get used to seeing this narrative for this season.

h3ro

I wonder if they'll 'rebrand' some of the compounds to make them artificially softer, as in making the Super Soft the new Medium, etc.

Ark

I wonder if they'll 'rebrand' some of the compounds to make them artificially softer, as in making the Super Soft the new Medium, etc.

Nah, we have to keep going deeper into this rabbit hole.

Personally I'm looking forward to the 'ultra super Xtreme softs' next season.

DBT85

Have to wonder what possible use the Hard tyre will be this year.

Also with overtaking clearly proving difficult, teams really are going to have to be careful when pitting to ensure they don't get stuck.

The whole 'Hamilton is terrible at managing tyres' thing has been done to hell and back.

Ark, you know that's stopping nobody.

DD

Verstappen could.

Massa did it, too.

Which is weird, cuz Massa is usually terrible at that.

Chris R

Have to wonder what possible use the Hard tyre will be this year.

Maybe pit lap 1 at Spa? Come out and you have the track to yourself, no dirty air, and tires that will last you the entire race. Then you hope for a SC period and leapfrog the cars who pit after you've queued up behind them.

DD

LOL, Massa looks like a little kid close to Stroll.

C8B1X1aXQAAzcWA.jpg

Watching classic F1 on sky because I have that itch and I forgot that only 10 years ago cars were taking in fuel in the pits, wow forgot all about that.

OH this is the race Hamilton drive into the back of someone in the pits, lul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom