• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastah

Andrew Benson‏ @andrewbensonf1 4h4 hours ago

A little bird gets in touch to say the Honda will run out of deployment 2/3s way down straights in China, according to McLaren simulations

The main straight, to clarify (errant "s")

Tubie

300232.jpg

tomtom94

Yeah, Australia was painting over the cracks somewhat what with it being a street circuit and not really having any straights. If there's a track that's going to expose the engine problems you'd pick China or Monza.

krang

He kept saying there's no difference if you're not fighting for championships, but he probably didn't expect it to be THAT bad.

Suuuure...that's why he ran up onto the podium last year for a "joke". Probably cried himself to sleep that night
in a bed of money

Zeknurn

Looks like this year Ferrari would give him a champion car.

lol why

Sauber is not financially sound and Honda needs more cars to run their power unit for data. If they're already pissing away money on McLaren they might as well do it on Sauber as well.

Also I'm sure Honda power units are cheaper than last years Ferrari.

Lach

Assuming it's a favourable deal for Sauber where they get the engines for free (or even get money like McLaren does), it's a win-win.
For Honda it would be valuable to have another team, and for Sauber it would be a financial benefit. And in term of results they cannot go any worse.

Before the testing began this year I actually hoped that Sauber would get a deal like that.

Aiii

So not worth it
Honda is going to get its shit together at some point, they pretty much can't fail forever.

But for McLaren it won't matter, Honda and Merc are only ever going to be equal at best, no way anyone is overtaking Merc by any considerable margin unless the engine formula completely changes again. So I doubt they'd care much if Honda suddenly got their shit together as long as they have a competitive engine in the back of that car.

For Sauber it's just smart, Ferrari has moved on to Haas, and Honda's money will be good for them. If McLaren drop them, they can pretty much be a works team again. This might actually be the first good thing Monisha has ever done for that team.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Maybe Sauber can get Honda some inside info on how last years Ferrari engine worked so they can make finally make some forward progress.

BigAl1992

Honda needs a second team to run engine data as they'll never get enough from McLaren. Sauber have nothing to lose and could the engines for free or even get money for it as a result from Honda, considering how much they're paying out the arse to McLaren. They might as well just go for it, even though Honda have a lot of ground to make up.

Mastah

Yeah, Australia was painting over the cracks somewhat what with it being a street circuit and not really having any straights. If there's a track that's going to expose the engine problems you'd pick China or Monza.

Also Fred was brilliant as usual. To qualify 13th, ahead of one Force India, one Renault, one Haas and one Williams, and in the race run in good position, holding off quicker cars in a car which is 0,5-1s per lap slower than the rest, while saving fuel massively, was remarkable achievement, like he has done during 2001 season at Minardi :(

In China they will be where they belong, between 17th and 20th. Fuck this shit.

Juicy Bob

Jesus Christ.

I've spent HOURS today trying to get some of my old PC racing games like NR2003 or Race07 to work as I fancied a bit of a play, but absolutely NOTHING works for me on Windows 10.

Gave up in the end and just went back to F1 2016 on PS4 instead.

Zeknurn

Marchionne is out there again and banging the Formula E drum.

“We need to be involved in Formula E because electrification via hybridisation is going to be part of our future,” said Marchionne.

Start,Formula E, Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez, 2016
Formula E returns to Mexico this weekend
A move into Formula E would harmonise with changes in the type of engines used in Ferrari’s road cars, he explained.
“Hybridisation is crucial to Ferrari. There is no denying that regulations put us under pressure, but we could reach those targets in other ways. The challenge is to benefit from hybridisation not just in terms of emissions reduction, but also performance.”

“We have already developed a hybrid supercar, La Ferrari, and on future Ferrari models we will leverage new technologies as well as electrification.”

I'm hopeful.

Jesus Christ.

I've spent HOURS today trying to get some of my old PC racing games like NR2003 or Race07 to work as I fancied a bit of a play, but absolutely NOTHING works for me on Windows 10.

Gave up in the end and just went back to F1 2016 on PS4 instead.
You will need to learn how to use this program, can be a bit tricky to set up but everything will work
http://dege.freeweb.hu

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
New Shift-F1 out.

I've now listened to two of these and man the hosts just really kill it for me. Maybe they just don't have the right personalities or don't delve too deep into things but I find it hard to stay engaged.

So I'm a bit confused on the USGP ticket deal. It looks like they are already on sale on the official F1 site, but then the COTA site isn't putting them on sale until Friday?

Edit: When I went to the inaugural USGP at COTA, I sat in the Turn 4 grandstands. What are some other good spots on the track? I have my eye on Turn 12, 15 may be too rich for my blood.

Edit 2: Am I better off waiting for the F1 Experiences package deals?

Awesome I was interested in going, I'll take a look at the tickets. Doubt I will go with experience tix since I already spent a ton on one set.

Fox Mulder

I've now listened to two of these and man the hosts just really kill it for me. Maybe they just don't have the right personalities or don't delve too deep into things but I find it hard to stay engaged.

They're great dudes, but the podcast is just very casual f1 talk.

Back from Mexico City a few days now. There are ads for the Formula 1 in October all over the place and on tv too. Formula E is much less advertised despite it taking place so soon although Gutierrez did do that promotional event with his team the other day along one of Mexico City's main avenues.

I keep toying with the idea of going back for the end of October for the race though. The city gets really cool around Dia de Muertos but it would be my first time attending a race live and man oh man them prices.

I was there a year or two ago when Gutierrez was testing for Ferrari and he was plastered over so many billboards and stuff. Plenty of Ferrari fans there but Checo didn't get nearly as much love from what I could see. I did see some cardboard cutouts of him at a few Quakers State outlets though. Should have gotten a pic with one hah.

Fucksake, was waiting for a friend to decide what seats we should get and we missed the presale for the USGP. Going to end up with garbage now.

xrnzaaas

Sauber getting Honda engines will be good news for both of them, however I reckon for Sauber only financially. ;) They should've fought for this deal sooner, because developing an engine with feedback from only one team must be much, much harder.

Juicy Bob

I feel like Shift+F1 just need a third guy who could just sit in the background and just chime in with some info whenever Danny can't remember when something happened or the name of some slightly obscure driver.

DBT85

So what the better bet, McLaren get Mercedes engines next season OR Nando gets Bottas seat in the Merc and we finally get two top of their game top dog drivers in the same team?

Aiii

So not worth it
I feel like Shift+F1 just need a third guy who could just sit in the background and just chime in with some info whenever Danny can't remember when something happened or the name of some slightly obscure driver.

It needs someone with more historical knowledge. I mean, neither of them have any knowledge past maybe the middle of the last decade and it shows.

It's okay, as long as they're entertaining, but it's not the podcast to go to if you want any deep analysis or encyclopedic knowledge is all.

It needs someone with more historical knowledge. I mean, neither of them have any knowledge past maybe the middle of the last decade and it shows.

It's okay, as long as they're entertaining, but it's not the podcast to go to if you want any deep analysis or encyclopedic knowledge is all.

I was definitely turned off by the casual talk at first, but now listen to it for the entertainment value and less for the analysis. It's just a fun thing to let run in the background while working out or playing some open world game and usually a good summary for the current F1 news before and after the race. And for me, the post-race episodes in the off-week are a good way to refresh my memory about the previous race. A bit like watching the highlights of the race again, but in audio-form, which is helpful.

tomtom94

Alonso is this generation's Villeneuve in that he is clearly a quick driver but he keeps going to the wrong teams. And Honda fucked him over. Actually this analogy gets better and better...

Aiii

So not worth it
Not sure if anyone of you have actually sat down and watch a cycling race, because "exciting" is about the last thing that comes to mind when thinking about that sport.

Zaru

Remember when people compared Hamilton to Villeneuve?

By mid 2009 it was hard not to make that comparison.
Came in 2nd in their rookie season. Became #1 driver and nabbed the title from a Ferrari driver late into their second season. Sudden drop-off in the third season, despite staying on the same team.

It's only 2010 where their paths diverged, much to Hamilton's benefit.

frontieruk

Not sure if anyone of you have actually sat down and watch a cycling race, because "exciting" is about the last thing that comes to mind when thinking about that sport.

At least there's over taking, close sprints to the finish and is reliant on the ability / skill of the rider not the piece of equipment the team provides them with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom