• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0908-1017 - Beep beep, Reese. I- I- I- I- It floats. Oh , yes. It floats.

Even if the multiplexes were still crowded, anything in it's 2nd week is getting shuffled to the smallest rooms with the minimum screens to still keep to their exhibition contract with the studio to make room for as many showings of Lion King as they can get.

Theaters will absolutely shuffle stuff like that if a breakout happens, crowded screens or no. If there's three legit blockbusters taking up half the screens at a 20 screen blockbuster, and Lion King comes through, those three blockbusters are getting four screens to split and Lion King is eating everyone's fucking lunch.

Would Lion King be hyped enough to prompt some exhibitors to do the Star Wars thing where they say "fuck it" and run round the clocks for the first 24-48 hours, though? That's the real question. I don't know if that's a possibility.

But that's really the only way TFA got close to $250 in 3 days. Because a LOT of theaters managed to wedge an extra 6-8 screenings a day into the first 2 1/2 days. That just doesn't happen for almost any other film.

As of right now, Lion King is releasing on July 19. There's an untitled Sony Animation movie schedued for the 26th (that may move, and even if it doesn't, it's Sony so anything short of Cloudy or Hotel Transylvania 3 would get steamrolled), a Spongebob movie and a "WB Event film" on August 2nd, Artemis Fowl tentatively on the 9th, and an untitled Universal movie on the 16th. I'm not sure I see another company willingly stepping into that wake, even with the fact that everyone knows that August is there for the taking if you step up.

Huh, I figured July would be more packed considering how quality this July was and all the talks of the other Disney movies that summer, I guess they're just more in May/June (I also may have only just remembered Star Wars got bumped).

The absolutely most full theater I saw this year was Beauty and the Beast and the audience absolutely ate it up. If Lion King can capture even a fragment of that magic it's going to make a killing and then some.

Anth0ny

Yeah if I recall correctly, TFA had the standard 8pm on Thursday screenings. And 10:30 screenings. And midnight.

and then 1am

2am

4am

6am

and all throughout release day. It was ridiculous.

Yeah I'm not expecting Lion King to beat Star Wars. I think that record stands for a while.

But I absolutely think Lion King outperforms BaTB by a wide margin (as long as its good) which is still an insanely fucking huge movie and more than enough to make Disney happy

Huh, I figured July would be more packed considering how quality this July was and all the talks of the other Disney movies that summer, I guess they're just more in May/June (I also may have only just remembered Star Wars got bumped).

The absolutely most full theater I saw this year was Beauty and the Beast and the audience absolutely ate it up. If Lion King can capture even a fragment of that magic it's going to make a killing and then some.

May/June of 2019 is s fairly stacked (not as stacked as May/June 2018), and actually stays so all the way until Lion King. Things only open up after that. From Box Office Mojo:

May (Details)
• Untitled Avengers (BV) - 5/3
• The Rosie Project (TriS) - 5/10
• Uglydolls (STX) - 5/10
• Aladdin (2019) (BV) - 5/24
• Minecraft (WB) - 5/24

June (Details)
• Charlie's Angels (2019) (Sony) - 6/7
• The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Uni.) - 6/7
• Untitled Fox/Marvel Film I (2019) (Fox) - 6/7 (the timing would suggest either FF of some sort or a sequel to something that came out this year [Logan])
• Untitled DC Film (June 2019) (WB) - 6/14
• Toy Story 4 (BV) - 6/21
• Cowboy Ninja Viking (Uni.) - 6/28 (currently starring Chris Pratt, IIRC)
• Transformers 7 (Par.) - 6/28

July (Details)
• Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 (Sony) - 7/5
• Top Gun (2019) (Par.) - 7/12
• The Lion King (Live Action) (BV) - 7/19

Minecraft will be interesting to watch. Its an unbelievably gigantic IP but will that carry over for the film as well?

No idea how to feel about it

Famassu

May/June of 2019 is s fairly stacked (not as stacked as May/June 2018), and actually stays so all the way until Lion King. Things only open up after that. From Box Office Mojo:

May (Details)
• Untitled Avengers (BV) - 5/3
• The Rosie Project (TriS) - 5/10
• Uglydolls (STX) - 5/10
• Aladdin (2019) (BV) - 5/24
• Minecraft (WB) - 5/24

June (Details)
• Charlie's Angels (2019) (Sony) - 6/7
• The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Uni.) - 6/7
• Untitled Fox/Marvel Film I (2019) (Fox) - 6/7 (the timing would suggest either FF of some sort or a sequel to something that came out this year [Logan])
• Untitled DC Film (June 2019) (WB) - 6/14
• Toy Story 4 (BV) - 6/21
• Cowboy Ninja Viking (Uni.) - 6/28 (currently starring Chris Pratt, IIRC)
• Transformers 7 (Par.) - 6/28

July (Details)
• Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 (Sony) - 7/5
• Top Gun (2019) (Par.) - 7/12
• The Lion King (Live Action) (BV) - 7/19
Avengers 4, Aladdin, Toy Story 4 AND Lion King within the span of a couple of months? Diör lawd, Disney.

Anth0ny

Current climate Minecraft is a bigger IP than Aladdin no? (I don't think Minecraft out-grosses Aladdin btw but I see the thought process)

Way bigger. But when the live action Disney movie marketing machine starts kicking into gear, I don't think Minecraft can compete.

I'm pretty sure Minecraft is like the biggest children's IP in North America alongside Star Wars and Pokemon.

Way bigger. But when the live action Disney movie marketing machine starts kicking into gear, I don't think Minecraft can compete.

I'm pretty sure Minecraft is like the biggest children's IP in North America alongside Star Wars and Pokemon.

Yep agreed. I think Aladdin does much better than Minecraft, mostly because I think it will have a MUCH stronger turn out among adults.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Minecraft has a higher gross among kids / younger viewers provided its not garbage

Looking at that, I'm kind of interested in what direction Sony is going to go in for another Charlie's Angels reboot. And I have faith in Elizabeth Banks as a director.

Minecraft will be interesting to watch. Its an unbelievably gigantic IP but will that carry over for the film as well?

No idea how to feel about it

I would normally not give a shit about a movie like this but Rob McElhenney (Mac from always sunny) is cowriting and directing so I'm definitely checking it out

Yeah if I recall correctly, TFA had the standard 8pm on Thursday screenings. And 10:30 screenings. And midnight.

and then 1am

2am

4am

6am

and all throughout release day. It was ridiculous.

TFA's opening was batshit insanity. I felt like the world was tilted on its' side. Everything was Star Wars for like 2 months straight.

It was amazing.

If Blade Runner doesn't break Fury Road levels of revenue I will have lost all faith in humanity

berzeli

Banned
boxoffice.com predicts a sub $10 million weekend for mother! (their latest long term one had it at $11 million).
And the reason is simple:
mother!‘s biggest disadvantage, obviously, will be facing the box office monster IT‘s second weekend. The studio’s release timing for mother! has always been a head-scratcher given the close proximity to the Stephen King adaptation, but given the latter’s massive over-performance, mother! faces an even tougher challenge now. Twitter and Facebook activity are far behind that of Crimson Peak and House at the End of the Street, the latter of which similarly starred Lawrence in a fall-time thriller that opened to $12.3 million on this same weekend in 2012.

I was about to say that this is the dumbest thing Paramount has done all year but then I remembered Monster Trucks.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
boxoffice.com predicts a sub $10 million weekend for mother! (their latest long term one had it at $11 million).
And the reason is simple:

I was about to say that this is the dumbest thing Paramount has done all year but then I remembered Monster Trucks.

Oof. Yeah, that's bad timing.

I don't know if I ever expected 2049 to hit Fury Road #s.

I mean, no matter how much you leverage the last 35 years of Blade Runner's existence as a recognizable brand - it's still BLADE RUNNER.

It'll do better than the original did, there's no way it won't. But I don't see it being any sort of success to the point you can actually attach the term "blockbuster" to it

milanbaros

Member?
Live action Lion King is one of possibly 3 or 4 upcoming films that has a chance at domestic all time #1.

I could see the combo of nostalgia, quality, parents wanting to take their children breaking records.

berzeli

Banned
‘Dunkirk’ Passes $500M Globally For Christopher Nolan, Warner Bros.
Dunkirk, Christopher Nolan’s sweeping WWII epic that’s still playing in 52 markets around the world and tucked away another $15.4M from both domestic and international audiences this week, crossed the $500M milestone at the worldwide box office today. In terms of ranking this weekend in worldwide grosses, Dunkirk was third behind Warner Bros’ other worldwide phenom, Stephen King’s horror pic It, and Sony’s Spider-Man: Homecoming, which opened big in China. In fact, Spidey’s $70.8M take ranks as the largest opening of a superhero movie in the Middle Kingdom.

Guzim

First director to have 5 films in a row gross over $500 million.

H1yCNVn.jpg

Ghal, now you understand why I have decided to cease talking SW on this forum.

Every single thread, regardless of the topic, eventually becomes a TFA deconstruction with the same arguments.

Also, on topic, IT was great and I am looking forward to Chapter 2.

Top Bottom