• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 0908-1017 - Beep beep, Reese. I- I- I- I- It floats. Oh , yes. It floats.

I'd like to report BGE to the mods for his incredible racism

To help save things with the contest, I will gladly accept his winnings.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Mulan is gonna be the bomb, just you watch.

I always get the Sony Mulan project and the Disney one confused. Didn't they say the Disney one wouldn't be a musical? That's a fatal mistake if true. And nobody in the US is going to care about the Sony version. I know they're trying to court talent so it has worldwide appeal, but I just don't see it catching. It just sounds like another Great Wall type of project

Even just thinking about the trailers for lion king has me hyped as fuck. I think the lion king will have serious repeat viewership as well, the original is jut so rewatchable.

I don't think making Mulan a live action adventure epic is a bad call at all. It's not really remembered for its songs anyway

Be a man
We must be swift as the coursing river
Be a man
With all the force of a great typhoon
Be a man
With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
giphy.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't think making Mulan a live action adventure epic is a bad call at all. It's not really remembered for its songs anyway
Really? I'd say I'll Make a Man Out of You is the only thing people really remember about the movie on the whole. Shame because My Reflection is the real best song

AndyVirus

What is it expected to get from the rest of China then? Can it top GOTG2?

It's at ~840m after Wednesday. Should be good for about 30-35m more from China plus holds from elsewhere. Unless Apes' opening destroys its second weekend legs completely, which I doubt, it should definitely top Guardians yeah. Someone with better knowledge will probably confirm this.

Saw It and can't say I fully understand the hype. It struck me as an above average witch/monster/demon/evil spirit/whatever evil thing type of horror movie, but not a 100mil+ cultural phenomenon type of thing. *shrug*

I'm not even sure Mulan will make to its scheduled date though. They need to cast a lead first anyway, before I can really say if I think it'll be a hit or not. Also Mushu is kinda awesome.

Saw It and can't say I fully understand the hype. It struck me as an above average witch/monster/demon/evil spirit/whatever evil thing type of horror movie, but not a 100mil+ cultural phenomenon type of thing. *shrug*

Different strokes for different people.

Miles X

See, it didn't really strike me as much of a horror movie at all.

Pharaun

I must be the only person in America that doesn't give a single fuck about Lion King. I thought it was meh when I was a kid and that opinion hasn't changed over the years. Of course I'm not foolish enough to think that the movie won't do gangbusters, I just can't comprehend why.

I must be the only person in America that doesn't give a single fuck about Lion King. I thought it was meh when I was a kid and that opinion hasn't changed over the years. Of course I'm not foolish enough to think that the movie won't do gangbusters, I just can't comprehend why.
People really love the Circle of Life.

The box office is pretty sparse and I'm too much of a wuss to see IT so I finally caught a screening of Atomic Blonde.

Movie's pretty rad, more people should be seeing it.

Probably could have cut out a good 15 minutes of the story though.

Toa TAK

Banned
The box office is pretty sparse and I'm too much of a wuss to see IT so I finally caught a screening of Atomic Blonde.

Movie's pretty rad, more people should be seeing it.

Probably could have cut out a good 15 minutes of the story though.

No lies here.

The only thing I could see really getting in the way of The Lion King (quit abbreviating it TLK, it confuses my mind) is the competition it'll have in the heart of the summer.

The Force Awakens basically had nothing but Chipmunks to compete with so people kept returning to it and others kept discovering it. The Lion King might not physically have enough screens to make that kind of money.

I think Lion King has potential to be damn big for sure. Lion Guard is huge with kids so Lion King never really faded from public consciousness. I'd say its more relevant than live action Beauty and the Beast was at its release (especially with the younger demo) and look how massive BaTB was

For those unaware how big Lion Guard is among the younger demo we are talking a show that regularly does over 2 million viewers and has gone as high as 2.6 million. Also the Toys are huge with kids

Famassu

1) Lions are awesome
2) Shakespearean royal family drama & backstabbing is always fun, even in somewhat watered down kiddie form
3) one of the saddest, most memorable death scenes in Disney films. Right up there with Bambi's mom
4) Lions are awesome
5) great music (not the songs, but the instrumental stuff)
6) Lions are awesome
7) pretty good villain
8) satisfying conclusion
9) Lions are awesome
10) Lions are awesome
11) Lions are awesome

Do we have any clue if Aladdin is planning on being a musical?

And I'm sure Tim Burton's sensibilities are going to do wonderful things for the Pink Elephants sequence.

The only thing I could see really getting in the way of The Lion King (quit abbreviating it TLK, it confuses my mind) is the competition it'll have in the heart of the summer.

The Force Awakens basically had nothing but Chipmunks to compete with so people kept returning to it and others kept discovering it. The Lion King might not physically have enough screens to make that kind of money.

As of right now, Lion King is releasing on July 19. There's an untitled Sony Animation movie schedued for the 26th (that may move, and even if it doesn't, it's Sony so anything short of Cloudy or Hotel Transylvania 3 would get steamrolled), a Spongebob movie and a "WB Event film" on August 2nd, Artemis Fowl tentatively on the 9th, and an untitled Universal movie on the 16th. I'm not sure I see another company willingly stepping into that wake, even with the fact that everyone knows that August is there for the taking if you step up.

Top Bottom