• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 Review Thread

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I remember being extremely dissapointed at what they showed at e3, but these review scores look glowing. Will look forward to trying this game out, I actually loved Far Cry 2.

eso76

You can use HDAO and HBAO for much less thick AO but worse performance.
From the benchmark:

In this case none looks bad, the problem is when it's applied to characters casting that sort of drop shadow on walls a few meters away from them.
Does anyone know what kind of AO -if any- is used on consoles ?

Eideka

Banned
In this case none looks bad, the problem is when it's applied to characters casting that sort of drop shadow on walls a few meters away from them.
Does anyone know what kind of AO -if any- is used on consoles ?

SSAO supposedly.

In my case a strong ambient occlusion solution does not bother me at all, it fits in the over saturated, comic-style color palette.

Varth

Just from reading that sentence, it sounds like what Assassin's Creed does: give you a shit ton of meaningless stuff to do, trusting that you will do it not because it's fun or because it gives you something worthwhile, but because it fills that bar up and makes those numbers go up. Then you call it "addictive" and give it 9/10. In other words, exactly what I feared they had done. It'll be interesting to see if it's true.

I can understand the point. Got to say that - at least at the beginning of the game - it works, however. Lost many hours hunting and crafting all purses "powerups" since you're severely limited in that aspect at the start and it's so fascinating when you get the bow.

That said, if you want to unlock all the skills, you better not speed trough the game. I reached the end with just enough points to get everything, ending up with 60% (hunting mainly memory cards, relics, freeing in complete stealth encampment).

I absolutely loved Far Cry 2 in almost every single way but it became the victim of its own ambition and that is the fact that Ubisoft wanted the players to feel immersed into the world. They succeeded in some ways, but completely failed in many other things.

The malaria, respawning outposts and weapon degradation being the three main points that the majority of the people absolutely hated.

I am glad they completely removed those things and improved upon the franchise's story and gameplay even more.

See, Far Cry 2 would have been the BEST GAME EVER had they included some hostile wildlife and beatable checkpoints. And here we have crocs. This is AC -> ACII all over again.

Ledsen

See, Far Cry 2 would have been the BEST GAME EVER had they included some hostile wildlife and beatable checkpoints. And here we have crocs. This is AC -> ACII all over again.

AC2 was a better game than AC, but it took out a lot of the elements that made AC special and instead of refining the assassination elements, they made it an action game through and through and added tons of filler. So yeah, I can see the comparison, and it makes me a bit sad.

My favourite tactic in Far Cry 2 was to stick a remote explosive on a car, drive it into a camp, jump out and trigger.

Can I do the same in this, but with BEARS?

Varth

My favourite tactic in Far Cry 2 was to stick a remote explosive on a car, drive it into a camp, jump out and trigger.

Can I do the same in this, but with BEARS?

No. But you can poke a pack of Cassowari until they get mad, run trough the camp with them tailing you and the pirates watching in awe, then jump out a fence and wait for the true king of the jungle to deal sweet justice.

I'M COMING FOR YOU, BITCHES
cassowaries_oct08_388.jpg

eso76

SSAO supposedly.

In my case a strong ambient occlusion solution does not bother me at all, it fits in the over saturated, comic-style color palette.

i don't mind strong, the 'problem' is when it's completely detached from the backdrop and it just looks like a black halo floating around the characters.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I wonder where the hell Destructoid's review is. Didn't they got a review copy?

DangerStepp

Super pumped about this now...excellent! I've been hyped since that first E3 Trailer.

I LOVED FC2... I really don't see what the beef with it was. One of my favorite games this gen.

Just thinking of the vehicles and the exploration and wonder of what you'll find around the bend. There was just something really special about that game to me.

Super pumped about this now...excellent! I've been hyped since that first E3 Trailer.

I LOVED FC2... I really don't see what the beef with it was. One of my favorite games this gen.

Just thinking of the vehicles and the exploration and wonder of what you'll find around the bend. There was just something really special about that game to me.

Far Cry 2 was equal parts AMAZING AWESOME and absolutely numbskull design decisions. For me it finally landed on awesome despite all the problems, but I can see how others had a different experience. Seems like they fixed what didn't work in FC2, but I'm still disappointed in the tropical setting. Africa was nice, would have hoped for something more... arctic, maybe.

Wait, i JUST saw this, a 10/10 from Eurogamer WTF is going on here?

Is this game the real deal or is it initial hype or what? Hmm i might indeed have to check this one out now as i haven't planned to previously.

-BLITZ-

No. But you can poke a pack of Cassowari until they get mad, run trough the camp with them tailing you and the pirates watching in awe, then jump out a fence and wait for the true king of the jungle to deal sweet justice.

So you really can't attach sticky bombs or anything else to animals ? Well, I'm kind of disappointed on this part as I got very used with stick up Spring Razor to rats in Dishonored, leave them wandering around, until a guard steps on them and everything around that erea goes bye-bye. That's pretty ingenious, you know what I mean, staying quiet and watch how the things collide. :(

Kind of surprised to see this getting high reviews, i thought it looked pretty good but it must be better than i expected. I'll get it at some point, even though i didn't really like what i played of Far Cry 2.

jet1911

So you really can't attach sticky bombs or anything else to animals ? Well, I'm kind of disappointed on this part as I got very used with stick up Spring Razor to rats in Dishonored, leave them wandering around, until a guard steps on them and everything around that erea goes bye-bye. That's pretty ingenious, you know what I mean, staying quiet and watch how the things collide. :(

Can't even stick C4 to vehicules :(

Top Bottom