• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 3 Review Thread

legacyzero

Banned
Summary: it doesn't run great at max.

I'll try Google Translate?

Far Cry 3 brings you zuück on the island - after the first developed by Crytek part still played there, and the second at Ubisoft Montreal was to send the Canadians the protagonist Jason Brody on a Caribbean island. There, under alter ego not only resist all kinds of brutes, but also against the evil Vaas. The PC version, which at the 29th November will be released has, compared to the console counterparts, not better control thanks to the mouse and keyboard, but also DX11, including anti-aliasing and ambient occlusion. On top of that, the general detail higher density and the soft shadows see clearly better.
Far Cry 3 to the test: The Dunia Engine-2

The once emerged from the Cry Engine Dunia Engine shines in Far Cry 3 in its second iteration of Ubisoft Montreal and was provided with a DX11 path, DX10 and DX10.1 graphics modes only run in DX9 mode. Technically, the engine with Ambient Occlusion - choose from SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion), HDAO (High Definition Ambient Occlusion) and HBAO (Horizon-based Ambient Occlusion) - HDR, depth of field, a kind of FXAA and dynamic deferred lighting entirely on the amount of time. Far Cry 3 is incidentally part of AMD "Gaming Evolved" program. The high contrast and highly saturated Caribbean style with its light comic touch, however, is a matter of taste, in addition to the soft shadows to flicker in the distance and some level of detail is relatively aggressive.

Therefore Far Cry irons 3 in DX11 mode polygon edges using multi-sample anti-aliasing (2x over 4x to 8x) and thanks to Alpha to Coverage (A2C) for flimmerarme vegetation, from however, this is not nearly as delicate as the undergrowth the several year old Crysis. Our pre-release shows mostly high-resolution textures, but some places are pixels mud creeps in between - possibly better for the developer yet, but we doubt it.

When changing from DX9 to DX11, you must restart the game, apart from the non-selectable anti-aliasing also lacks any ambient occlusion and shadows are not as delicate as soft respectively (apparently the shooter has no tessellation). Otherwise, changes our previous comparisons, according not alter the appearance of Far Cry third

As a benchmark we used a 30-second sprint sustained by the Duschungel which with dense vegetation and many soft shadows in particular calls on the graphics card. The reflective water and a quick look into the distance balasten other components, but our scene is not overly stressful - but we were at the test time no Scores from the later course available.

Note: Far Cry 3 offers true DX11 driver multithreading (which is currently only supported by Geforce graphics cards), however caused DX11 MT on some of our test computer for crashes, so we had to disengage the feature for our benchmarks.

Far Cry 3 in the test: Graphics cards benchmarks

Using the current driver version Catalyst 12.11 Beta 8 and Geforce 310.54 Beta Far Cry 3 shows the usual power structure of current DX11 graphics cards with mild AMD Advantage: The Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition is the GTX 680 and GTX 670, followed by the Radeon HD 7950/7870 and the GTX 660 (Ti). In midfield competing Radeon HD 6950 and GeForce GTX 570, the Radeon HD 6870, the GeForce cracks GTX 560 Ti with ease. A GeForce GTX 460 reached without 4x MSAA and A2C just under 20 frames per second and even the GTX 680 nibbles on the 50 fps mark. With said anti-aliasing (whereby here is significantly 4x MSAA is because A2C less than ten percent cost of fps) achieved no current graphics card with a chip on FPS, Far Cry 3 even runs on the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition quite spongy.

May "run" the final version of the Shooters liquid, the experience of recent years, but talk about it. All in all, Far Cry 3 does indeed look quite good, the hardware is hunger in the review version available is simply too high given the necessary optics.

Far Cry 3 in the test: CPU benchmarks

The very first version of the Dunia Engine scaled well from two to three or four cores, the second iteration is this in every way. A Phenom II X6 1100T achieved with two computing center only around 30 frames per second (with a core Far Cry 3 starts not), with four or six, there are about 47 fps - the face of a Core i5-3570K is still low, this comes to 62 images per second. However, please again be mentioned that even the Radeon HD 7970 Edition GHz without 4x MSAA at 1080p braces only 55 fps and ergo is the brake pad.

G_Berry

Banned
Please tell me that the "ability" to see enemies through objects, which I have seen now in multiple videos, can be turned off.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So is the screentearing PS3 stuff just from the capturing device?

Both consoles have a decent amount of tearing but the PS3 version isn't as bad as we initially thought because of the capture device on the 45 minute video from yesterday. I don't know how the 360 compares yet.

Derrick01

Banned
Shouldn't you be high from the smoke around you?

This is not very realistic.

:p

You joke but if Clint Hocking was still there and making this game I have no doubt in my mind he would have something like that in place. FC2 was full of tiny realistic elements like that, most that have been needlessly pulled from this game in place of more crazy and gamey elements.

That being said I trust some of the reviewers and they were all high on the game. I'm not going to hold a grudge on this game because a lot of those things were taken out if the core experience is still really good.

Summary: it doesn't run great at max. Minimum of a 570 to get 1080p, maxed, without AA at 30fps.

Oh this is no good. No good at all.

I'm assuming this is including DX11 stuff right? Those are expendable to me.

93f2d61234f511e2aa3022000a9e2931_7.jpg

Testing land sharks.

http://youtu.be/zBiEGWH-Fv0?hd=1

It's a huge open world with lots of things going on behind the scenes, AI, physics, probably some kind of real time lighting, some other shit (I'm not a tech guy). Anyway, I don't know you can say it looks average based on those PC videos. It looks awesome.

legacyzero

Banned
Ya'll be trippin. Game looks awesome.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Far Cry 3 OT pretty much.

I went with Ironcreed's and Messofanego's suggestion on the OT title, while Radec gave me some advice on the images.

Cant launch it till tomorrow though :(

look at 5m30 in his video ;)

edit : or from 2m35 on this video

Ok, ok, it's light though :)

Not that I expected crazy hallucination, but a sentence from the hero would have been nice.

Let me think, Beaulieu, typical Quebecer name, you posted on FC3 threads and on the UFC thread on the event in Montreal with GSP... You are from the dev team, right?

:)

Far Cry 3 purchased on Steam, let's do this.

I hate you people with great PC rigs :p

I could make the game playable at console settings, but what would be the point in that? Other than leaning feature, screenshot/movie purposes and getting to play it on any tv without a console needed.

ACTUALLY, can someone test it out if you have a gaming laptop with ati mobility radeon 5650 or similar if they can play it a decent framerate with "console" settings (720p, 30fps)?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So is the console version running at 720p then? I noticed the black bars at the top and bottom. I've seen that with the 720p EA games running the Frostbite 2 engine.

Hoping to get the game tomorrow or Saturday so can do some videos for you guys.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
these benchmarks are ridiculous. I'll wait for drivers or probably new Nvidia card.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
these benchmarks are ridiculous. I'll wait for drivers or probably new Nvidia card.

I'm worried my GTX460 might not be able to handle it. I don't want to buy this on PS3 :(. It can't run worse then that, right? Hopefully it scales well.

Dreaver

Damn, I just bought Halo 4 and I didn't want to buy another game for quite a while. Not sure I can resist this, the game looks so awesome. I love tropical islands.

I'm very happy that most of the games that I looked forward to this year turned out good: Mass Effect 3 (I loved it so much), Dishonored (I still have to play it though, but I loved the concept) and Halo 4.

This game has always been one of my most anticipated of the year, I'm glad it's getting some good reviews. I still think an easter egg where you can add dinosaurs to the wildlife would have been awesome though.

Top Bottom