• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 minutes of Far Cry 3 on PC Ultra settings at 1080p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Skipped around to avoid spoilers but it does look damn nice. What's with the minimap though? It's just the same few patterns repeated over and over again with no information other than your current direction and waypoints.

tci

The textures looks good. The video had some bad bit-rate, so it was hard to see the detail on everything.

I'm not that hyped about the game, but the tech is interesting.

Durante

Honestly, I don't think the outdoor scenes look much better than modded Crysis 1.

Also, the AO implementation has some pretty terrible artifacts:

cry3aokzzhs.png

Here you see the character's hand casting a (likely AO-induced) contact shadow on a table that's a good meter or so away, with a light source in between. That doesn't make any sense. (I'm very sensitive to stuff like that right now since I spent many hours tweaking the AO implementation for Dark Souls. But I thought I had a harder time with getting these details right due to injecting it into an existing game without full knowledge. Apparently it's still hard to get right even if you are doing it in your own game)

Kamaki

Skipped around to avoid spoilers but it does look damn nice. What's with the minimap though? It's just the same few patterns repeated over and over again with no information other than your current direction and waypoints.

You have to reveal the mini map by going up this radio towers and turning them on. If you don't do that then you don't have a minimap, it's a lot like in Assassin's Creed where you have to do that go to viewpoints to reveal the minimap.

Lach

A bit of info for the non german speakers.

The mission is from the middle of the game (the first few missions are under embargo)
The mission is about
finding mushrooms in an underwater cave to create an antidote for a friend of yours who has been poisened, by touching the wrong plants. He's tripping by standing on the mushrooms

As far as I know almost everything we've seen for Farcry 3 has been PC footage. The lone exception being the co-op footage from E3. And man did that look terrible. Some of the worst aliasing and pop in I've seen this entire generation.

Here's the video of the only for sure console footage they've shown. Judge for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aOSdza1YMU

As far as I know almost everything we've seen for Farcry 3 has been PC footage. The lone exception being the co-op footage from E3. And man did that look terrible. Some of the worst aliasing and pop in I've seen this entire generation.

yea I agree, they probably show the PC version running on medium with 360 button prompts. The console version looks terrible.

UrbanRats

Looks pretty nice, but:

1) That SSAO is horrible, they should seriously tone it down.

2) The horizon line looks weird, like the world ended a couple of miles off the coast.

Also with Youtube's compression, it's hard to get an idea of the IQ and texture quality, even at 1080p.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Honestly, I don't think the outdoor scenes look much better than modded Crysis 1.

Also, the AO implementation has some pretty terrible artifacts:

cry3aokzzhs.png

Here you see the character's hand casting a (likely AO-induced) contact shadow on a table that's a good meter or so away, with a light source in between. That doesn't make any sense. (I'm very sensitive to stuff like that right now since I spent many hours tweaking the AO implementation for Dark Souls. But I thought I had a harder time with getting these details right due to injecting it into an existing game without full knowledge. Apparently it's still hard to get right even if you are doing it in your own game)
To be fair, nothing other than Crysis 3 really does either.

KyleN

Banned
A bit of info for the non german speakers.

The mission is from the middle of the game (the first few missions are under embargo)
The mission is about
finding mushrooms in an underwater cave to create an antidote for a friend of yours who has been poisened, by touching the wrong plants.

Did he say anything about how it runs on pc?

Levyne

Banned
I don't really know much of anything about this sort of thing, but the people look like they are all bordered in this shady shadow. Is that intentional?

463mu.png
(sorry, imgur)

I can't get enough of this gorgeous, bright tropical-island-ish setting in games. I wanna explore everything. Are there any collectibles like the diamonds in FC2?

The soft black outline to the characters looks great, btw.

I don't really no much of anything about this sort of thing, but the people look like they are all bordered in this shady shadow. Is that intentional?

463mu.png
(sorry, imgur)

Yeah it must be, probably an artistic choice. Looks pretty good to me, they seem to pop out of the screen. Low poly shoulders

Durante

I don't really no much of anything about this sort of thing, but the people look like they are all bordered in this shady shadow. Is that intentional?
As I said above, it's a badly implemented AO effect. Depending on what they are doing, it could just be a few parameter tweaks way from being much better.

Basically, it's about what distance the AO algorithm considers for occluders. You need to either tweak that depending on the camera distance of the point you are trying to analyze, or transform your Z coordinates to a space where the relative distances make sense for AO calculation.

Miker

463mu.png
(sorry, imgur)

That's the overly strong SSAO effect being discussed in the posts above you.

EDIT: Beaten.

KaiserBecks

Looks good but not amazing. This could mean that it runs very well.

I think it looks stunning. He said it's running quite well even though he's turned on capturing software at the same time. I wouldn't expect anything less from a system that's making use of a gtx 680 though.

Eideka

Banned

Here's the video of the only for sure console footage they've shown. Judge for yourselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aOSdza1YMU

Ouch that does not look very good....Yeah especially to the footage in the OP.

Hopefully not the final version.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't mind the absurdly strong SSAO, as stupidly unrealistic as it is. Everything about the game looks so unrealistically clean and vibrant that I quite like the strong SSAO highlights as a stylistic choice.

Levyne

Banned
Ha, thanks for answering. When I just jumped to the middle of the vid I thought maybe the dude was drugged or something and that was an effect.

Top Bottom