• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16 minutes of Far Cry 3 on PC Ultra settings at 1080p

Its because the developers have little incentive to include a lot of advanced stuff only the PC can use. Lot of money and effort on only one platform? No.

So yeah, when PS4 and Halobox 720 rolls out there will be a big upgrade for PC graphics as well.

Thanks for the answer :).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I think that would be an impressive enough leap for most people who post on gaf but would not translate into significant sales for new hardware.

Joke?

If Call of Duty came out looking like that it would print money.

Same with Halo, Gears, Assassins Creed, Bioshock, etc.

I have shown that to some casual gamers and some gamers that lay somewhere inbetween. It blows everyone away. Looks like CGI...

If you dont think those graphics will impress all but the most jaded of gamers, you have lost your mind.

Levyne

Banned
I have shown that to some casual gamers and some gamers that lay somewhere inbetween. It blows everyone away. Looks like CGI...

Yeah when watching that for the first time I was like "meh, looks little better than those cgi scenes in XIII, .....oh wait that's fucking amazing"

That's a rather subjective issue.
To answer it for yourself, watch this video in 1080p. If it impressed you, then no, we haven't reached diminishing returns.

I've seen that video before a few times (along with the two UE4 and 1313 videos) and again although it does look nice, is it as much of a leap over FF13 than FF13 was over FF10 and FF10 was over FF9 ?. For me it's not.

nOoblet16

Honestly, I don't think the outdoor scenes look much better than modded Crysis 1.

Also, the AO implementation has some pretty terrible artifacts:

cry3aokzzhs.png

Here you see the character's hand casting a (likely AO-induced) contact shadow on a table that's a good meter or so away, with a light source in between. That doesn't make any sense. (I'm very sensitive to stuff like that right now since I spent many hours tweaking the AO implementation for Dark Souls. But I thought I had a harder time with getting these details right due to injecting it into an existing game without full knowledge. Apparently it's still hard to get right even if you are doing it in your own game)

SSAO/HBAO is just a hack for indirect shadowing/contact shadowing in the first place anyways.
But you already know this.

When I played the game at Gamescom and Eurogamer this year I was most disappointed with the fact that physics for foliage weren't even close to being anywhere as good as they were in FC2.

Durante

SSAO/HBAO is just a hack for indirect shadowing/contact shadowing in the first place anyways.
Well, everything a game does to calculate real-time lighting is "just a hack" ;).
Being a hack is not a bad thing in 3D graphics as long as the visuals/performance balance pans out nicely. Which IMHO it does with well-implemented SSAO.

When I played the game at Gamescom and Eurogamer this year I was most disappointed with the fact that physics for foliage weren't even close to being anywhere as good as it were in FC2.
That's also something I noticed in the video. Much older games have better foliage physics.

Looks really pretty but I couldn't help but notice how stiff and lifeless the foliage was in the OP video. Visuals reminded me of Crysis, but stiffer. Like, my mind wanted to see trees blowing in the wind and pushed around by the players character when near or stepping on tall grass. Maybe next year?

Beautiful shadows on everything, though.

nOoblet16

Funny how the environment in FC2 looked much more alive (from the wind and foliage physics) eventhough FC3 is a thousand times more vibrant looking.

Grinchy

Banned
I think it looks awesome, even with the weird shadow borders around everything. When he first walks into that house, my jaw almost dropped.

REV 09

looks good, but it isn't one of the best looking games on pc or anything. kinda looks like a cleaner, maxed out, console version. it isn't using DX11 is it?

commissar

Maybe I forgot about missed some other games which had lots of grass.

But between this and the Crysis 3 fields video I am sitting here thinking "it's GRASS! Actual thick, verdant GRASS!"

total watershed moment.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Seriously. The SSAO implementation here is really awful. Hopefully it can be disabled as I'd rather roll without it at this point.

Top Bottom