• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Zeke

McNei1y said:
I turned 21 a month and a half ago so I am starting to buy different beers that I haven't tried before.

What I have and love:

Miller Lite
Yuengling
Samuel Adams

Anyone recommend me some good beer? I'll look around in the thread for tastes.

most of this thread is filled with decent beer. Try Dead Guy Ale its godly, Arrogant Bastard, New Castle, Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale, Paulaner Double Bock, Stella Artois just to name a few.

McNei1y

Zeke said:
most of this thread is filled with decent beer. Try Dead Guy Ale its godly, Arrogant Bastard, New Castle, Dogfish Head Pumpkin Ale, Paulaner Double Bock, Stella Artois just to name a few.

They have a bar near me. I'm trying to make my way out there sometime and try their really high proof (forgot the name) beer. My coworker was all over it though.

Zeke

thanks to this thread I opened up my last double bock already feeling a small buzz.....work is going to suck in the morning :lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Zeke said:
I tried Killian's Irish Red once and that first beer I kept thinking taste really similar to Coors I glanced over the bottle and ta da owned by Coors.

You do know that the recipe has nothing at all to do with Coors right?

It is a very old recipe from a brewery that closed a while ago and Coors bought the naming rights and recipe from.

Coors brews a shitload of beer, it doesn't mean they taste like "coors"

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Nothing toooo fancy, but I really enjoy these:

Anchor Steam Beer
Beck's
Moosehead
Newcastle Brown Ale
Smithwick's

Can have them whenever, with whatever. Yum.

Zeke

for some reason it reminded me a little or coors I had my friend try one to see what he thought of it felt the same about it.

Neckbeard

McNei1y said:
Yeah, US.

I'm on the east coast, mid atlantic. To be specific, Maryland. Crabs are awesome but the season is dwindling thanks to the weather.

I enjoy pretty much everything but if I had to choose: Chicken and Mashed Potatoes is my favorite meal.

Anything that incorporates Onions and Peppers is also good in my book (sauce, steak and cheeses, etc etc).

As far as general beer suggestions go, peep the Dogfish Head micro brews. This guy is incredible and they're brewed in Deleware so you'll get it right off the truck.

As far as chicken & mash goes, I'd suggest an American Brown Ale. One of my favorite of this variety is brewed in Brooklyn:
brookbrown.jpg

It's got a caramel, smoky flavor. Great for roasted poultry and it cuts through the buttery/garlic-y flavors in the potatoes.

Another good pairing for a dish like that would be a Belgian-style Amber Ale, something like Fat Tire, or a nice dubbel. Celebrator is good if you can find it (below)

ayinger_celebrator.jpg

That should get you rolling on some interesting flavors.

Fireye

Reza_Neko said:
I have still yet to try a beer that I like. I like strawberry daiquiris, fuzzy navels, margaritas, gin and tonic, mojitos, white russians, and all of the other girly drinks. SOme of my friends insist that I just have to find the right beer. Based on what I've said already about my tastes in alcohol, what suggestions does GAF have to offer me?

You should Fruli a shot then. http://www.frulibeer.com/

Had a taster at a local bar, and it was by far the sweetest, girliest beer I've ever tasted. If you want a beer that's almost a mixed drink, this might be the way to go.

andymcc said:
some of the beer mentioned here is more stout and higher in ABV than guinness...

Indeed. Guinness is rather low in alcohol. In fact, it has significantly less calories than most beers. Almost all of it's percieved thickness comes from the nitrogen. Doesn't make it any less tasty though. :)

Davidion

Kentpaul said:
Real men like guinness, 3 pints of guiness = 3 full meals

Guiness is practically watery for a stout. Sure, if you're going to compare it to lagers it's kinda thick...

I've come to a conclusion that even though I have several very good standbys, it's more fun to experiment with beers when you're fortunate enough to be around drinking environments that has constant cycling of new beers.

The advent of the American microbreweries and all the foreign stuff that I've yet to try makes it almost impossible to settle on a "best of" list anymore. To discovery!

KingGondo

Banned
Guinness has been my go-to beer for the last few months. I buy it in the pint-sized cans, then pour it into a proper glass. Delicious. :)

Had some Left Hand Polestar Pilsner last night with my burgers, quite refreshing as well.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Fuck it's getting to Oktoberfest time and Halloween. This time i WILL find some Pumpkin ale, hopefully Newcastle will have an ale pub or store that can supply me with some, totally failed at finding any last year.

Wallach

Davidion said:
Guiness is practically watery for a stout. Sure, if you're going to compare it to lagers it's kinda thick...

I've come to a conclusion that even though I have several very good standbys, it's more fun to experiment with beers when you're fortunate enough to be around drinking environments that has constant cycling of new beers.

The advent of the American microbreweries and all the foreign stuff that I've yet to try makes it almost impossible to settle on a "best of" list anymore. To discovery!

If you haven't yet, get your hands on some Arrogant Bastard. That and plain ol' Widmer hefeweizen are my favorite "anytime" beers. Dead Guy stuff is also great but I put it in the same category as Mac Frost as a "every once in a while" beer.

Davidion said:

Tr to find a nearby Flying Saucer

Davidion

Wallach said:
If you haven't yet, get your hands on some Arrogant Bastard. That and plain ol' Widmer hefeweizen are my favorite "anytime" beers. Dead Guy stuff is also great but I put it in the same category as Mac Frost as a "every once in a while" beer.

Arrogant Bastard is the only one on your list that I have tried, and that's actually one of my "every once in a while" beers.

I've found that any beer with too much of a particular character doesn't want to make me drink it ALL the time. In the case of Arrogant Bastard it's the heavy hoppiness, in the case of Chimay it's the considerable sweetness and spiciness.

I can drink a couple of those, but I find that I like to anchor everything around beers with medium to light consistency with a slightly sweet bend, no ABV considerations; those are my session beers. Most of the big Belgian/B-style beers like Tripel Karmeliet, Leffe anything, Fin du Monde, Delerium Tremens, Grimberger, La Chouffe, Ommegang anything, fits the bill. From there you take stabs at the beers with the more intense characteristics.

sooperkool said:
Tr to find a nearby Flying Saucer

Nah, I'm in NYC, don't think I have those around.

I have at least a half a dozen bars that fit that description though, so I've no shortages to worry about. In fact, if anything there's too much beer for me to drink. :lol

TheLastCandle said:
Ahhh beer. One of my passions in life.

Aside from being a beer lover of ALL types (from Chimay to Budweiser) I also brew my own. I know there are other homebrewers here, so by all means post yours as well.

This is my latest brew. It's a brown ale brewed with a pound or so of clover honey. I also used black patent and crystal malt as specialty grains to enhance the body and color. Ended up being right around 6% abv.

62980_432777717334_662422334_5281219_7112479_n.jpg

I HAVE THE SAME SPICE RACK AS YOU.

Also, hooray, beer! Lately I've been drinking assloads of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, and it truly is the greatest hefeweiss ever created. I've also been treating myself to Rochefort 10s when I go out lately, but they get pretty pricey. No one ever has Pannepot so I don't get to drink enough of it.

Our current favorite for lunchtime at the place I work (I ussually loathe blonde beers, but this one is so soft that goes quite well with most food)

220px-Carlsberg_beer.jpg

Some of my current favorites

Guldendraak.jpg

125320307_9069e02189.jpg

kross_2.jpg

Also, thanks to this thread I need a beer now :/

JoseJX

Living in PA, so I drink a lot of Yuengling. It's almost always on tap here and a good standby in case there's nothing else interesting.

I had one of these recently and really liked it:
32135.jpg

GordonGecko

Neo Member
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
Three Floyds Dreadnaught
Cantillon Classic Gueuze
Cantillon Fou Foune
Founders Porter
Russian River Pliny the Elder
Russian River Consecration

To name a few. As far as "everyday" beers are concerned:

Founders Porter
Dreadnaught
Rochefort 10
Two Hearted
Founders Reds Rye

I can go on and on..........

my beer of choice this summer:

p314c.jpg

There are many more breweries who make Landbier. It's all regional stuff mostly. Really like the stuff because it always tastes fresh and hearty like from a barrel even tho it's bottled.

It's been mentioned on the list of the "best" beers, but #8 should get a special mention and a picture posted. It comes out in January / February and is FANTASTIC. Buy in quantity when you see it, because it will soon be gone for another year.

Bell's Hopslam

hopslam.jpg

Seriously yum.

My good buddy is the brew master for Max Lager's in downtown Atlanta, GA. We routinely bring our band keg to the brewery for a free refill of his Hopslosion (he couldn't believe that name wasn't taken) or the wonderful pilsner he makes. Seriously, this pilsner is actually better than both Urquell and the Victory Prima. We have taps coming out of our practice space refrigerator.

If anyone wants to ship me some Pliny, I'd be most grateful.

andymcc

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
Indeed. Guinness is rather low in alcohol. In fact, it has significantly less calories than most beers. Almost all of it's percieved thickness comes from the nitrogen. Doesn't make it any less tasty though. :)

i wouldn't disagree. as far as easy to come by supermarket beers go, guinness is at the top of the heap.

speaking of delicious stout beers, the absolute best one i've ever had is the Founder's Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Shit is kind of expensive, but goddamn is it ever worth it. if you guys are serious about stouts and have yet to try it, you should make it a priority next time you're beer shopping!

forrest

formerly nacire
Great thread! This is what's currently in the fridge at the moment. The Dark Lord by Three Floyds is probably the best shown as it's only released once a year in an extremely limited amount. I just got back from Hop in the City this past weekend which is a massive Schlafly beer festival held at their downtown taproom. They had 40+ beers on draft in addition to a large assortment on cask.

The Schlafly AIPA in the 6 pack has been my favorite beer of the summer. It's hopped up, but nicely balanced with malts. It's a limited release as well, so I've been hangin on to this last six pack.

* - Quick edit to give nods to Three Floyd Dreadnaught and Schlafly Pumpkin Ale (two other current favs)

beerzbq2.jpg

andymcc

Banned
nacire said:
Great thread! This is what's currently in the fridge at the moment. The Dark Lord by Three Floyds is probably the best shown as it's only released once a year in an extremely limited amount. I just got back from Hop in the City this past weekend which is a massive Schlafly beer festival held at their downtown taproom. They had 40+ beers on draft in addition to a large assortment on cask.

The Schlafly AIPA in the 6 pack has been my favorite beer of the summer. It's hopped up, but nicely balanced with malts. It's a limited release as well, so I've been hangin on to this last six pack.

beerzbq2.jpg

this is a thing of beauty.

BigFwoosh

Some of my favorites, depending on my mood:

Young's Double Chocolate
YoungsChocolate.jpg

Boddington's
boddingtons-pub-ale.jpg

Magic Hat #9
magichat.jpg

Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat
leinenkugel-sunset-wheat.jpg

Rogue Dead Guy Ale
tumblr_l686livpOl1qb5sxlo1_400.jpg

And many, many IPAs.

Otheradam

Slizz said:
privatejokr.com+photo+of+Blue+Moon+Honeymoon.gif

Not a fan of the regular Blue Moon, but this shit is fucking crack to me.

Yeah! I haven't had it all summer. A friend and I got the craving 2 weeks ago and searched every bodega around my neighborhood and no one had it anymore.

forrest

formerly nacire
For you guys that aren't into more full bodied (heavier beers) and aren't looking to break your wallet, try wittekerke. Seriously, go out, find it, buy it, drink it, love it.

wittekerke-can.jpg

lljride

Love me some Double/Imperial IPAs. Favorite mass produced beers are Victory Hop Wallop, Stone Self Righteous Ale and Stone Ruination, and Dogfish 90 or 120 minute IPA.

My favorite beer at the moment is Hopothesis from Freetail (local brewery in San Antonio). So freaking good, highly recommended if you're ever in the area.

forrest

formerly nacire
WorriedCitizen said:
wheat beer from a can that's just gross
That beer is amazing in my opinion. Even in the can. If your that much of a bottle nazi though, it does come in bottles.

ShinAmano

I love pretty much anything from:
1. Stone Brewery
2. Victory Brewing
3. Dogfishhead
4. Bells

Also pretty much always grabs one or two new beers each trip to the store. I love beer.

Edit: Holy shit nacire...how do you keep it all...I may buy as much but I drink it. :lol

GordonGecko said:
Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
Three Floyds Dreadnaught
Cantillon Classic Gueuze
Cantillon Fou Foune
Founders Porter
Russian River Pliny the Elder
Russian River Consecration

To name a few. As far as "everyday" beers are concerned:

Founders Porter
Dreadnaught
Rochefort 10
Two Hearted
Founders Reds Rye

I can go on and on..........

Rochefort 10 is an everyday beer for you? Daaamn.

WorriedCitizen said:
wheat beer from a can that's just gross

All beer would be better from a can than from a bottle.

The glass bottle is a marketing thing because people think it's classy and cool.

Love some Dark Lord!!
4561759500_91c9e13d90_z.jpg

Lost Abbey is solid (when it's not flat):
4402217748_375640fc4d_z.jpg

Luckily we get some good beer in Ohio. Some of what I enjoy:
Just about anything from Founders
AleSmith
Ithaca Flower Power (when it's in stock)
Most quality Belgians (St. Bernardus, Rochefort, Fantome, etc)
Dark Horse Crooked Tree
Bear Republic Racer 5
Can go to KY or IN and get some Three Floyds. Just had a growler of Gumballhead last night and love Dreadnaught.

Favorite new beer that I've had would have to be Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City down in Tampa. Absolutely amazing stuff. Description: Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout with Peruvian cacao nibs, ancho & pasilla chiles, Madagascar vanilla beans, and cinnamon.

HappyBivouac said:

The glass bottle is a marketing thing because people think it's classy and cool.

And i thought barbarians were a thing of the past.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
HappyBivouac said:

Hell with that, cans change the flavour and make it more... tinny.

HiResDes

ErnieMcCracken said:
Love some Dark Lord!!
4561759500_91c9e13d90_z.jpg

Lost Abbey is solid (when it's not flat):
4402217748_375640fc4d_z.jpg

Luckily we get some good beer in Ohio. Some of what I enjoy:
Just about anything from Founders
AleSmith
Ithaca Flower Power (when it's in stock)
Most quality Belgians (St. Bernardus, Rochefort, Fantome, etc)
Dark Horse Crooked Tree
Bear Republic Racer 5
Can go to KY or IN and get some Three Floyds. Just had a growler of Gumballhead last night and love Dreadnaught.

Favorite new beer that I've had would have to be Hunahpu's Imperial Stout from Cigar City down in Tampa. Absolutely amazing stuff. Description: Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout with Peruvian cacao nibs, ancho & pasilla chiles, Madagascar vanilla beans, and cinnamon.
Have you had the Vanilla Bean version of the Dark Lord? I think it's even better.

Top Bottom