• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

andymcc said:
Dogfish Head is amazing, 120 IPA is typically my go-to beer.

How is their pumpkin ale?

Their "Punkin' Ale" is fantastic. Easily the best pumpkin ale I've had along with Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale.

Zefah said:
Yeah... I didn't drink much outside of going to Izakaya when I was in Japan. The variety is extremely limited (almost everything is Lager-style and tastes very similar), and beer is terribly expensive. In USD it's like $3.00 - $4.00 (with the recent exchange rate) for a 350ml can. And those are domestic prices! Expect to pay at least $5 per bottle of anything imported.

yeah every shop sells the EXACT SAME range at the EXACT SAME pre-set price (that shit would be illegal in the EU, surely) and the concept of a 6 pack to the japanese appears to mean "individual can price multiplied by 6 with some free cardboard"

Luthair

I love Stone and I love James Boag's beer!

IMAG0157.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
KHarvey16 said:
Cuu mentions some good ones above: Founder's Breakfast and Old Rasputin are great. Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout and Oatmeal Stout are both excellent too, and if you can find it, Ipswich Oatmeal Stout is very tasty.

Ahh yes, Samuel Smith's Imperial and Oatmeal stouts are very good. I particularly like the Oatmeal one.

I like Old Rasputin some too, but after a few drinks it starts to taste a bit salty to me. I'm not sure why.

HiResDes

Zefah said:
Ahh yes, Samuel Smith's Imperial and Oatmeal stouts are very good. I particularly like the Oatmeal one.

I like Old Rasputin some too, but after a few drinks it starts to taste a bit salty to me. I'm not sure why.
I believe the Oatmeal one is one of the higher ranked beers on BeerAdvocate

Baconmonk

Glad to see the Rogue and Flying Dog love in here. I plan on touring Flying Dog sometime (local for me too!) and Dogfishhead isn't far from me either.

Another great local brewery around here is Evolution Brewing Company in Delmar, DE. They have a couple great IPAs and a few seasonal ales they're getting into now. Maybe I'm biased because they're local (I get growlers full straight from the brewery every other week), but it's still some damn good beer.

Pretty hyped my town is finally having a proper beer festival next month, I'll try to post some pics! Supposed to be over 30 breweries there, so I'm pretty pumped.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
345triangle said:
yeah every shop sells the EXACT SAME range at the EXACT SAME pre-set price (that shit would be illegal in the EU, surely) and the concept of a 6 pack to the japanese appears to mean "individual can price multiplied by 6 with some free cardboard"

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous... Every super market has pretty much the exact same selection and prices. There were a few smaller shops near my house that had a small selection of imports, but they were just way too expensive to buy more than a bottle or two every once in a while.

Fireye

Baconmonk said:
Glad to see the Rogue and Flying Dog love in here. I plan on touring Flying Dog sometime (local for me too!) and Dogfishhead isn't far from me either.

Another great local brewery around here is Evolution Brewing Company in Delmar, DE. They have a couple great IPAs and a few seasonal ales they're getting into now. Maybe I'm biased because they're local (I get growlers full straight from the brewery every other week), but it's still some damn good beer.

Pretty hyped my town is finally having a proper beer festival next month, I'll try to post some pics! Supposed to be over 30 breweries there, so I'm pretty pumped.

If you live in Maryland, and go to the Dogfish Head brewpub out in Deleware, prepare to pick up supplies.

Stuff that went for $13 in montgomery county, md goes for $7-$8 out there (750ml's). They also have their excellent line of Spirits, their Chocolate Vodka is incredible, and my Girlfriend swears by the Honey Rum.

If I can find Evolution in my neck of the woods, I'll give it a shot.

Another brand that loves me (or at least, one of their beers love me), is Troegs. Troegenator Double Bock is delicious. It's not really true to the double/doppelbock style, but it's damn tasty.

Cuu

goat said:
My current rotation is:

*pics*

I did pick up a few packs of Sam Adam's Octoberfest too.

I had some of the Gordon Biersch when I was in Cali. Pretty good stuff!

Retrofluxed

Cuu said:
I had some of the Gordon Biersch when I was in Cali. Pretty good stuff!

Yeah, I'm in the Panhandle here in Florida and Marzen is all over the place. It's on tap at my local Buffalo Wild Wings. And of course, Sweetwater is everywhere too, since it is out of Atlanta.

Reza_Neko

I have still yet to try a beer that I like. I like strawberry daiquiris, fuzzy navels, margaritas, gin and tonic, mojitos, white russians, and all of the other girly drinks. SOme of my friends insist that I just have to find the right beer. Based on what I've said already about my tastes in alcohol, what suggestions does GAF have to offer me?

Viewt

I actually have my own beer appreciation podcast that I do with some friends every month. We loves us some beer.

Here's a tip for those of you who love Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue Label), but maybe want to spend a little less. Check out Kasteel Donker:

3302037741_d731294dd2.jpg

It's a very similar beer. They're both Belgian Strong Dark Ales, and though the Donker isn't as well balanced (it smells considerably more boozy than the superbly-balanced Chimay), it's still got that same taste. Just be wary - it's 11% ABV, so it'll knock you on your ass even harder than usual.

Honestly, I think my current favorite beer is Dogfish Head Burton Baton:

17604j.jpg

This beer is amazing. What they do is, they take a regular Imperial IPA and then blend it with an English Old Ale. They use a shitload of hops, but oddly enough, since it sits in the barrel forever, you don't really taste it. I'm not really a hophead, so Dogfish isn't always my go-to brand, but Burton Baton is really spectacular. It's also got limited availability, so if you see a four-pack, don't pass it up.

HiResDes

Top 25 Beers According to BeerAdvocate

1. Trappist Westvleteren 12
Quadrupel (Quad) / 10.20% ABV
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) A+ / 4.55 955

2. Pliny The Elder
American Double / Imperial IPA / 8.00% ABV
Russian River Brewing Company A+ / 4.5 1629

3. Pliny The Younger
American Double / Imperial IPA / 11.00% ABV
Russian River Brewing Company A+ / 4.49 492

4. The Abyss
American Double / Imperial Stout / 11.00% ABV
Deschutes Brewery A+ / 4.47 898

5. Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
American Double / Imperial Stout / 11.20% ABV
Founders Brewing Company A+ / 4.46 1308

6. Trappistes Rochefort 10
Quadrupel (Quad) / 11.30% ABV
Brasserie de Rochefort (Abbaye de Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy) A / 4.41 1645

7. Founders Breakfast Stout
American Double / Imperial Stout / 8.30% ABV
Founders Brewing Company A / 4.38 1623

8. Bell's HopSlam Ale
American Double / Imperial IPA / 10.00% ABV
Bell's Brewery, Inc. A / 4.38 1753

9. Trappist Westvleteren 8
Dubbel / 8.00% ABV
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) A / 4.37 570

10. St. Bernardus Abt 12
Quadrupel (Quad) / 10.50% ABV
Brouwerij St. Bernardus NV A / 4.37 1780

11. Dark Lord Imperial Stout
Russian Imperial Stout / 15.00% ABV
Three Floyds Brewing Co. / Brewery & Pub A / 4.37 755

12. Stone Imperial Russian Stout
Russian Imperial Stout / 10.50% ABV
Stone Brewing Co. A / 4.36 1909

13. AleSmith Speedway Stout
American Double / Imperial Stout / 12.00% ABV
AleSmith Brewing Company A / 4.36 857

14. Supplication
American Wild Ale / 7.00% ABV
Russian River Brewing Company A / 4.36 635

15. Sculpin India Pale Ale
American IPA / 7.00% ABV
Ballast Point Brewing Company A / 4.36 795

16. Canadian Breakfast Stout
American Double / Imperial Stout / 9.40% ABV
Founders Brewing Company A+ / 4.36 263

17. Péché Mortel (Imperial Stout Au Cafe)
American Double / Imperial Stout / 9.50% ABV
Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel A / 4.35 1125

18. Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier
Hefeweizen / 5.40% ABV
Bayerische Staatsbrauerei Weihenstephan A / 4.34 1585

19. Dreadnaught IPA
American Double / Imperial IPA / 9.50% ABV
Three Floyds Brewing Co. / Brewery & Pub A / 4.34 1112

20. Portsmouth Kate The Great
Russian Imperial Stout / 10.50% ABV
Portsmouth Brewery A+ / 4.34 310

21. Masala Mama India Pale Ale
American IPA / 5.90% ABV
Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery A / 4.32 540

22. Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout
American Double / Imperial Stout / 13.00% ABV
Goose Island A+ / 4.32 289

23. Bourbon County Brand Stout
American Double / Imperial Stout / 13.00% ABV
Goose Island A / 4.31 1269

24. Tröegs Nugget Nectar
American Amber / Red Ale / 7.50% ABV
Tröegs Brewing Company A / 4.31 1507

25. Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock
Doppelbock / 6.70% ABV
Privatbrauerei Franz Inselkammer KG / Brauerei Aying A / 4.3 1713

There is already an official beer thread, but it never hurts to have more beer discussion!

My top 5 picks of all time, all things taken into account (note I've probably posted a different top 5 in the past, but this is what I'm thinking right now):

1. St. Bernardus Abt. 12, specifically with a few years on it. Stunning. I hear it's the same recipe as the fabled Westvleteren 12. If you think Chimay Blue is good, stick a few of these in your cellar (read: closet with a halfway-decently stable temperature) and prepare to have your mind completely and utterly blown. (in a year or two, that is)
IMG_3246.jpg

2. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale is one of the best hop fixes for the money, unless you've shot your lupulin threshold through the roof drinking stuff like Pliny and Ruination year-round all the time. And if you have, shame on you. Gotta change it up every now and then. Anyway this beer just has a beautiful blend of hops that, for a winter evening, is cozier and taster than nearly anything else I can think of.
sierra_nevada_celebration_ale6oifql8nv808ksk8osc4kswww6ylu316ao144c8c4woosog48wth.jpg

3. Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron is a thick, rich brown ale aged in specially made barrels of South American Palo Santo wood. This is an extremely resiny wood that can impart delicious flavors seemingly endlessly. Apparently the wood has also been used for its medicinal properties? This beer is fucking good, and I'm a maniac for woody flavors in my food and beer. Also apparently it's 12% alcohol by volume? That can't hurt.
palo-santo-marron.jpg

4. Southern Tier Choklat ...It was a tough pick between this one and Creme Brulee, but I think this edges ahead just a tiny bit. For chocolate lovers, there is no better beer. This is rich, high quality belgian chocolate in the form of a highly delicious, high gravity imperial stout. If you love chocolate and beer as I do, this is heaven.
southern-tier-choklat-stout.gif

5. Maui Brewing Co. Big Swell IPA is an awesome IPA that pairs beautifully with, well, everything, comes in a can, and is mentally associated with one of my favorite geographic locations on the planet. There is simply nothing in the world like sitting out on the patio of a Lahaina restaurant/cafe and sipping on one of these. Some might wonder why I didn't choose the more popular CoCoNut Porter, and while that is indeed an exceptional porter, I stand firmly by my selection.
big-swell.jpg

Note that while I absolutely love huge, bitter, hoppy DIPAs like HopSlam, I somehow don't feel any of them belong in my top 5.

EDIT: Added pics!

HiResDes

Reza_Neko said:
I have still yet to try a beer that I like. I like strawberry daiquiris, fuzzy navels, margaritas, gin and tonic, mojitos, white russians, and all of the other girly drinks. SOme of my friends insist that I just have to find the right beer. Based on what I've said already about my tastes in alcohol, what suggestions does GAF have to offer me?
I'd start with something light, with fruity undertones...Such as this:

Blue-Moon.jpg

Retrofluxed

I can't believe I almost forgot to mention my very favorite beer.
26453.jpg
You can only get it in Pensacola and Destin, FL from an Irish Steakhouse/Brewery called McGuires. They also have wonderful Pale Ale and Stout (plus a great Rootbeer for you non-alcoholic peeps).

Viewt

Mdeezy said:
I've never had a beer before but this thread is making me want one
What you need to understand about beer is that it really is an acquired taste. So as interesting and as delicious as a lot of these brews look, honestly, if you just go out and buy one, you'll probably hate it. You need to give your palette a chance to acclimate.

If you're looking for a good starter brand, start with Sam Adams. If you spot any Summer Ale packs out in the wild, do yourself a favor and pick one up. It's a great-tasting beer that refreshes, and it'll ease you in. Oktoberfest isn't one of my favorites, but a lot of people swear by it, so see for yourself.

You should probably stay away from IPAs to begin with, since they're a lot more heavy with hops, and will be a lot more bitter. Some other great starter-beers are La Fin Du Monde:

495445650_4a21f48743.jpg

Brooklyn Lager:

BrooklynLagerGlass.jpg

And if you like champagne, check out Saison Dupont:

saison+dupont.jpg

tokkun

HiResDes said:

BeerAdvocate is not a fan of subtlety. They like big, in-your-face flavors and high ABVs. That's why the ratings are always hugely skewed towards Imperials and other sipping beers.

Viewt

HiResDes said:

1. Trappist Westvleteren 12
Quadrupel (Quad) / 10.20% ABV
Brouwerij Westvleteren (Sint-Sixtusabdij van Westvleteren) A+ / 4.55 955

I actually tried this (my buddies and I reviewed it on our first podcast), and it really is an amazingly complex beer. Lots of spices, and a distinct coffee flavor. I wouldn't say it's worth repeat-importing (a six-pack set me back $120 with shipping), but as a one-time-thing, I can't say I was disappointed. If you're into trappist beers, it just doesn't get better.

HiResDes

tokkun said:
BeerAdvocate is not a fan of subtlety. They like big, in-your-face flavors and high ABVs. That's why the ratings are always hugely skewed towards Imperials and other sipping beers.
Yeah I noticed there isn't a large variety of styles in their top 25, but at least their entire top 100 is a little more well-rounded.

Cuu

Reza_Neko said:

Maybe some belgians: Pranqster, Delerium Tremens, Chimay? They tend to be a little sweeter.

It seems you like fruit, so I would try some beers that go well with fruit too. Put a lemon into a Hacker Pschorr, put an orange into a Blue Moon. Those are some beers you can find many places.

If you want a beer that doesn't taste like alcohol, search out Weihenstephaner or Francizkaner. They're wheaty and banana-y. If you like bananas, try those.

You probably just need to get over the beer-alcohol taste. Beer is an acquired taste - the more you drink, the more you like it (I hope!)

I just had a bottle of goose island harvest ale and it was delicious.

Blue Moon is generally my go-to beer. Especially their fall and spring beers. Especially their spring beer. Rising Moon, be still my heart.

Viewt

HappyBivouac said:
3. Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron is a thick, rich brown ale aged in specially made barrels of South American Palo Santo wood. This is an extremely resiny wood that can impart delicious flavors seemingly endlessly. Apparently the wood has also been used for its medicinal properties? This beer is fucking good, and I'm a maniac for woody flavors in my food and beer. Also apparently it's 12% alcohol by volume? That can't hurt.

I had this some months back and I was actually a bit put off. There's a lot of flavor there, to be sure, and the oaky taste is really great, but I couldn't get past the consistency. It's really syrupy, and it just made me feel bloated by the end of it.

It's strange, too, because a thick consistency doesn't usually put me off (I love it in Terrapin Gamma Ray) - maybe it was also the high ABV. Just a bit too strong for this little girl, I suppose.

EDIT: JEEEEEEEESUS. That Choklat brew looks delicious. How hard is it to come by in the States? Do you know?

KHarvey16

You know, I tried Heineken Dark recently and it's actually not bad at all(and I can drink a lot of them). Apparently it's not easy to find but it's definitely been slotted into the "I need a beer I can drink all night" category.

As much as I love BeerAdvocate, their top 100 list is a bit silly. If you drank beers like that all the time then beer would completely lose its magic. People tend to get excited about bigger beers, and it could also be that the higher amount of a certain substance present in the beer being reviewed skews the mind in a more positive direction.

KHarvey16

sw33tclyde said:
Absolutely delicious. I'd never heard of white beer, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to try 'Hoegaarden'. :D

I always say this and I don't know if anyone else has agreed with me, but here's goes: I always taste Juicy Fruit when I drink Hoegaarden. That's not a complaint since it's not overpowering or anything, but I definitely taste fucking juicy fruit gum and people look at me like I'm crazy!

HappyBivouac said:
palo-santo-marron.jpg

EDIT: Added pics!

Have you had the Dogfish Head Immort Ale? It's probably my #1 beer: woody, smoky, sweet, strong.

Viewt said:
EDIT: JEEEEEEEESUS. That Choklat brew looks delicious. How hard is it to come by in the States? Do you know?

As an Iowan I have to go north to Minnesota to find any Southern Tier, but I'm not sure about your state. See if you can find about their distribution, then find the best liquor stores in your area and ask about that specific beer. I think it is released once a year in fairly large batches each December, but don't quote me on it.

However be warned that at 11% it is a bit hot.

chaostrophy said:
Have you had the Dogfish Head Immort Ale? It's probably my #1 beer: woody, smoky, sweet, strong.

I have not. Wasn't that a one-time thing or am I crazy? As mentioned above I'm from Iowa where distribution sucks. We only get a few beers from DFH. I actually had to go to NYC to try the Palo Santo Marron.

KHarvey16 said:
I always say this and I don't know if anyone else has agreed with me, but here's goes: I always taste Juicy Fruit when I drink Hoegaarden. That's not a complaint since it's not overpowering or anything, but I definitely taste fucking juicy fruit gum and people look at me like I'm crazy!

:lol I can see that. After the first sip I was almost pissed because I thought it was non-alcoholic. Checked the bottle and it's 5.5%, crazy Belgians know how to make a damn fine drink!

Belgian whites like Hoegaarden are known for having fruity esters (flavors imparted by the yeast), often along the lines of banana and even bubblegum. Juicey fruit isn't all that far-out of a comparison, really.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
tokkun said:

Yeah I've noticed that. Right now I'm a big fan of Stouts, Porters, Imperial Stouts and other stronger taste / high ABV beers so I've found the site to be very helpful, but it's like most people on that site won't even consider a non-dark beer with less than 7% alcohol.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
HiResDes said:
I did a Flabongo of Dogfist IPA and Lion Stout and I basically died.

This is a flabongo if you didn't know:

:lol

Is that you in the pic? If so, we should chat privately sometime.

Erge to drink- rising.

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.

Top Bottom