• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Overwatch hero unveiling on Monday, likely Sombra (support sniper) [Nope]

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Hmm, still on the fence if Origins Edition or Standard Edition...

Eh, I understand that and appreciate that all the characters are multi-use, but starting brackets are still useful and Support is unarguably still lacking. We have three supports, we could use more, and a sniper is a natural fit. *shrug*

You mean 4 supports. Mercy, lucio, zenyatta, and symmetra.

It's also more than just multi-use. The labels between offense and defense characters is really flexible, way more than tank and support are. They're pretty much interchangeable.

LordofPwn

Reposting for new page, this might mean something :p

https://twitter.com/OverwatchEU/status/733281174664138752

No Egypt though...

Looks like it's just the launch events. might be for press to do review events.
saw someone on reddit say they were going to the launch event in paris friday night. matches up with the map. and would explain why the asian region is later as 2am doesnt really work well for most people, especially for events.

Dr. Buni

Looks like it's just the launch events. might be for press to do review events.
saw someone on reddit say they were going to the launch event in paris friday night. matches up with the map. and would explain why the asian region is later as 2am doesnt really work well for most people, especially for events.
Ah, that makes sense. But considering this other tweet, maybe they will announce something cool in the upcoming launch events. Maybe Sombra will be featured in Soldier 76's animated short?

Why introduce new heros already? Is not even out yet and I'd rather concentrate on the current 21 until i get used to them and the balance between them.

Squire

Banned
Why introduce new heros already? Is not even out yet and I'd rather concentrate on the current 21 until i get used to them and the balance between them.

Introducing a hero =! Actually putting them into the game right there and then.

It's in Bluzzards best interest to announce new characters whenever they can to convey that support is ongoing. They'll actually be added to the the game at the time that Blizz determines is best. That probably won't be in the first month, let alone on day one.

LordofPwn

Ah, that makes sense. But considering this other tweet, maybe they will announce something cool in the upcoming launch events. Maybe Sombra will be featured in Soldier 76's animated short?

my guess is that they will be previewing a new character at this event and that maybe the embargo will go up sunday night/monday. the theater events are at 9pm local time sunday, the next short film goes up monday at 10am PDT? and the servers go live at 4pm PDT later that day. then there's also that other rumor that there's a live action overwatch launch trailer coming.

guess we'll just have to wait...

I think it's unlikely that we'll get a new hero for at least a month into the game if not longer. But I wouldn't be surprised if they start revealing some info sooner than that either.

On the other hand, maybe they're hyped to introduce a new character to add something fresh for everyone who has been playing a while.

Dr. Buni

my guess is that they will be previewing a new character at this event and that maybe the embargo will go up sunday night/monday. the theater events are at 9pm local time sunday, the next short film goes up monday at 10am PDT? and the servers go live at 4pm PDT later that day. then there's also that other rumor that there's a live action overwatch launch trailer coming.

guess we'll just have to wait...
True, that is all we can do, after all.

I am excited for more heroes, though I do hope they don't go overboard with it. Less is more =)

TDLink

If they announce a new character for launch and the game hasn't actually launched yet then doesn't that just make it one last surprise for the base game?

That's how I look at it.

If they're announcing new characters to release them at a later date that is good too because it shows their commitment to supporting the game long term.

I really hope we don't get an invis/spy hero. Blizzard discussed it a lot when they were making Genji, and said that it caused a lot of problems with balance in the game, and wasn't fun to play against at all.

LordofPwn

I really hope we don't get an invis/spy hero. Blizzard discussed it a lot when they were making Genji, and said that it caused a lot of problems with balance in the game, and wasn't fun to play against at all.

i'd like a character with invis. i think they could make it fun and balanced. especially if they are a support character. a genji with invis sounds OP. i also think a support sniper will finally give some better use for the offensive snipers.

Dr. Buni

Disguise kit is as bad as invisibility, but I am not really against these mechanics being added to Overwatch,
as long as Sym's turrets can detect them
Really? Origins is like £10 more for a bunch of cosmetic tat
The origins skins are damn good, worth the increased price to me.

Joyful

id be ok with a camo hero as long as they dont go full invisible
especially dont want disguises like the spy

GavinUK86

I'm kinda blown away at the amount of detail this thing has. I missed most of it in levels but it's fascinating to hear about it all.

J Range

The right one is Athena, the embodiment of the Overwatch-AI. Like EDI from Mass Effect.

I like the guy on the left. He looks goofy in a good way. I imagine him shooting arching blobs of hazardous goo that sticks on the ground or walls and slows down enemies (or switch guns mode and hurt them instead like lucio)

Bio-Harold

Mupod

On the one hand I really don't want a stealth class. In a game with infinite ammo I feel like it'd turn into spy check spam everywhere all the time.

But I think it'd be interesting if they added some kind of equivalent to the Spy's sapper. Maybe some kind of EMP to temporarily disable turrets - useless on its own and not as frustrating as backstabs out of nowhere, but would help deal with fixed defenses.

Disguise kit is as bad as invisibility, but I am not really against these mechanics being added to Overwatch,
as long as Sym's turrets can detect them

The origins skins are damn good, worth the increased price to me.

my problem with them is aside from Aviators Tracer I either don't play those characters or their unlockable skins are way better. Especially Mariachi Reaper.

I'm hype enough that I'm pretty much begging for an excuse to blow more money on the game and even I don't think I'll go for it.

pizzacat

Banned
La Sombra - "Phara, no puedes ver....soy tu TIA Y GEMELA DE SU MAMA Y TAMBIEN TU NIETA DEL FUTURO"

Maximum drama.
I'd love a soap opera-ish short from this lmao
No Sombra, tu eres la una que no entiende. Yo no soy Phara, yo soy soldier 67.

Dr. Buni

my problem with them is aside from Aviators Tracer I either don't play those characters or their unlockable skins are way better. Especially Mariachi Reaper.

I'm hype enough that I'm pretty much begging for an excuse to blow more money on the game and even I don't think I'll go for it.
In that case, the standard edition is the way to go. I play a lot of Pharah and Blackwatch Reyes is the go-to Reaper skin to me, so both of their origins skins were compelling to me. That being said, to me the only "must" skin is Noire Widowmaker (her default outfit is really bad imo) and you can get it by pre-ordering the game, regardless of which edition you choose.

I thought Reaper was already the mexican character based on the mexico stage. Seems Sombra is his companion.

Would love to have a character based in Spain, maybe a suave spy or something.

Dr. Buni

I thought Reaper was already the mexican character based on the mexico stage. Seems Sombra is his companion.

Would love to have a character based in Spain, maybe a suave spy or something.
Reaper is from the United States, we don't any characters from Mexico, I think. If Sombra is Pharah's mother, she is from Egypt, not Mexico...

But Sombra could be someone else, for what is worth.

El Sloth

Banned
I don't even think of Symmetra as a true support. She feels much more "Defensive" than "Supportive".

Support category is anemic as all hell.
She used to make sense as support when her shield gave +50 but then she was OP.
Symmetra is definitely in weird spot. I wish she had a more "active" support ability like the others, rather than the set it and forget it shield ability she has right now. Something like being able to project a shield over a targeted ally/area or maybe even something like being able to create platforms like others have suggested before. Just something that feels both more supportive in nature and more active in gameplay.

Limited healing or shield projecting turrets even.

ThankeeSai

This is the most I've been hyped for an fps in a good while.

The beta was incredible, the wait for Tuesday is unbearable.

Hurry up!!!

DedValve

Banned
Symmettra creating platforms would be amazing.
and it would help all the noobs like myself who think they can make the jump. No we can't!

Mupod

and it would help all the noobs like myself who think they can make the jump. No we can't!

Reminds me, I've been thinking of some profoundly evil shit I could do using Mei's ice walls as elevators. There's a shortcut on Dorado that I'd love to get a Bastion and Reinhardt over to get behind the enemy. Don't know if it'd work though and obviously haven't been able to check.

Dr. Buni

Speaking of Mei's Ice Wall, it would be fun if you could kill enemies with it in closed spaces with a low ceiling. Like... squishing them, you know?
Stop, I'd like to play characters other than Symmetra. Buff her and I will have no reason to :p

I think I'll play a lot of Sombra if she's a support sniper. I don't really fuck with Widowmaker because I'm not MLG enough, but I'm super into a lady sniper with a suite of support abilities.

If anything they can have the short premier with a potential Sombra in it, and have her being released like on July 1st to create hype and whatnot.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So is it 30 years or 6 years? I think they have been fighting for 30 years or that's what the war lasted and it finished 6 years ago.

Overwatch started 30 years ago, and was dissolved 6 years ago when Reaper and some of the other agents started a rebellion and ended up destroying their headquarters in an internal war.

Top Bottom