• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Leaked PS4 Slim is legit (bootup video)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Opinion from the owner :

bUSkdeB.jpg

Looks bad comparing it to PS4 and specially XBO:S

Tryxx

Man that thing is hideous. From how nice the ps4 regular looks this thing is absolutely nasty looking. Also if it doesn't have a 4K bluray this thing better be significantly cheaper than the XboxS that is priced at $299.

Unknown?

Eh... the PS2 Slim retained almost all features of the original aside from HDD support and the IEEE 1394 port.
PSone added better audio CD features and had slots for an LCD screen to mount onto it.

The PS2 slim removed the HDD slot but added the network adapter. IEEE was dropped in fat revisions and wasn't there by the time the slim came out.

And the PS3 slim only dropped Linux support while adding HDMI sync and I think bitstream audio. It added two features though. SuperSlim added nothing though but didn't remove anything either.

Those materials look even cheaper than the regular PS4. That plastic makes me ill. I'm really sad that Sony of all companies has opted for cheap construction and boring designs. I thought the OG PS4 was just a fluke, but this looks like the new normal.

killatopak

PSone added better audio CD features and had slots for an LCD screen to mount onto it.

The PS2 slim removed the HDD slot but added the network adapter. IEEE was dropped in fat revisions and wasn't there by the time the slim came out.

And the PS3 slim only dropped Linux support while adding HDMI sync and I think bitstream audio. It added two features though. SuperSlim added nothing though but didn't remove anything either.

You forgot hardware ps2 emulation.

Mohasus

Sony always drops ports and features from the launch unit to make it cheaper, not sure why this still surprises people.

I remember not being able to use an old gameshark for my PS1 because the port was removed. Or an HDD for my PS2 slim.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Is XBO slim smaller or bigger than PS4 slim?

The XB1 Slim is bigger than the original PS4, so this one is definitely smaller.

But I doubt this will be touted as the 'slim' PS4. It'll probably just be the revision that'll be more in line with the design of the PS NEO.

Man, I miss the days of shrinks like PS2 -> PS2 Slim. Now that was a technical marvel.

Iacobellis

There you go. We'll have to see what actual features are added to this model, but the design is a clear step backwards from the current one.

Durden77

Is there a PS4 general community thread? I have a question about my system that has been bothering me for a while. Every time I shut down my system completely and boot it back up, it ALWAYS tells me I didn't shut it down correctly and does the scan disk thing.

longdi

Banned
Any leads on the seller?

I cant believe this dude dare to meet and pay up gbp300 to someone else, for a "slim PS4", through a UK equivalent craiglist.

A tall story...

DonMigs85

I must know... When you shut down the console or boot it up for the first time, does it display a different outline on the screen?
Like, this isn't valid anymore for the slim
IMG_2318_stomped-650x365.jpg

The XB1 Slim is bigger than the original PS4, so this one is definitely smaller.

But I doubt this will be touted as the 'slim' PS4. It'll probably just be the revision that'll be more in line with the design of the PS NEO.

Man, I miss the days of shrinks like PS2 -> PS2 Slim. Now that was a technical marvel.

We will never get anything like PS2 slim again which is sad.
But there is not much Sony can do unless they get rid of the HDD\Disc drive .
Plus we don't get as much die shrinks compare to the old days .

Tarkus

Any leads on the seller?

I cant believe this dude dare to meet and pay up gbp300 to someone else, for a "slim PS4", through a UK equivalent craiglist.

A tall story...
He probably got 5 times that amount from DF for the video.

Iacobellis

I must know... When you shut down the console or boot it up for the first time, does it display a different outline on the screen?
Like, this isn't valid anymore for the slim
IMG_2318_stomped-650x365.jpg

We'll have to see, it usually doesn't happen. I believe the Xbox One S shows the original console on the update screens, the PS Vita Slim still showed the first model during the introduction video, and so forth.

HDMI already connected to my PC (5.1 system). Having trouble with the HDMI ARC working with PS4, but if I can get ARC to work with it, I won't need the optical cable.

ARC doesn't typically work with external sources.

So for example, anything the TV presents directly (be that via digital tuner, smart TV apps, USB ports, DLNA server) will be sent via ARC. Stuff that plugs into the TV via HDMI (sat/cable boxes, consoles,etc) won't have their audio sent via ARC.

Admittedly some TVs can do this, but not many in my experience. For example, my Panasonic VT50 does not send anything via ARC from external sources.

Wait, now the video is set to private to me, can't watch it!

Did Eurogamer piss off Sony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2cIwkg7OVQ

Now the video was actually removed from Youtube

Hmmm, Sony threaten legal action maybe?

Edit: Their Twitter gif is still up
https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/767735071264632832

Edit 2: Seems it was because of Legal. Form their article

UPDATE, 7.30pm: Upon taking legal advice, we have removed the video referenced in this article.

MarionCB

Oh. I was hoping this was a fake solely because I think it's ugly as hell. Well, if I need a replacement ps4, I would probably go for a neo anyway.

ClearData

My first impression is that it looks like they shaved some off the top of the original PS4 and flattened it. I can't say that it looks particularly attractive, I might go as far as to say it looks ugly to me at first blush. I hope that the Neo is easier on the eyes.

Top Bottom