• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean C

In preparation for the new Netflix series, I'm reading:

lcCFbMy.jpg

Always wanted to and now's a good of chance as any.
I'm and Islander, so one grows up surrounded by Anne imagery. I didn't actually get around to reading the book until a couple of years ago, but on doing so it's easy to see why it has endured for over 100 years. Montgomery had a great sense of humour, and it's just a very fun read.

Incidentally, the series (which has already mostly aired in Canada) is very good. And speaking of books being read in anticipation of TV adaptations:

american-gods_zps0o6jpqz4.jpg

On finally reading this acclaimed Neil Gaiman novel, I found it to be...perfectly okay. The premise of exploring classical deities in America has been done many times, and in the nearly two decades since this publication it has undoubtedly inspired some of the stories I've subsequently read that use variants of it. The setup is involving, but the narrative drags over time. I found myself most interested in the interspersed aside chapters depicting how different waves of immigrants brought their gods to the New World, which all served as quite fascinating short stories.

On finally reading this acclaimed Neil Gaiman novel, I found it to be...perfectly okay. The premise of exploring classical deities in America has been done many times, and in the nearly two decades since this publication it has undoubtedly inspired some of the stories I've subsequently read that use variants of it. The setup is involving, but the narrative drags over time. I found myself most interested in the interspersed aside chapters depicting how different waves of immigrants brought their gods to the New World, which all served as quite fascinating short stories.
I never got around to reading much of that book, but that asides about the gods in the New World were my favorites as well

I'm looking forward to see how they expanded upon that in the show

besada

Banned
Thanks. I should have looked into other YA stuff he's done. We also live in South Florida so he can relate to the books. We were discussing Hoot the other day and found out that my older son had Hiassen's sister as a teacher in elementary school. He told me that he remembered his teacher (Ms. Hiassen) telling them she had a brother who was a popular writer.

I'm usually trying to get people to read Hiassen's regular books, so it's nice to get to flog his YA stuff, which is just about as good (although it lacks some of the filthy hilarity).

I'm doing a dystopia run. Just finished 1984 (Jesus that was depressing), now it's Brand New World followed by Atlus Shurgged. Any other similar books you guys recommend?

Orgen

Finished Revival (great book but didn't like the ending despite almost everyone saying that it was one of the best King's endings) and now onto It (20% read).

aravuus

I absolutely hated Revival's ending, but I wasn't a massive fan of the book otherwise either. Haven't really had much motivation to read anything by him since I finished it, but maybe Pet Sematary will change my mind when I get around to reading it.

Orgen

I absolutely hated Revival's ending, but I wasn't a massive fan of the book otherwise either. Haven't really had much motivation to read anything by him since I finished it, but maybe Pet Sematary will change my mind when I get around to reading it.

I liked Pet Sematary and the ending is great, one of the best (if not the best) from King's books IMO

NIN90

I'm and Islander, so one grows up surrounded by Anne imagery. I didn't actually get around to reading the book until a couple of years ago, but on doing so it's easy to see why it has endured for over 100 years. Montgomery had a great sense of humour, and it's just a very fun read.

Incidentally, the series (which has already mostly aired in Canada) is very good. And speaking of books being read in anticipation of TV adaptations:

american-gods_zps0o6jpqz4.jpg

Finished American Gods a couple days ago myself and found it to be mostly a drag. It just never really picks up? I agree, the side stories are the most interesting parts.

Right now I'm on Post Office which I'm enjoying quite a bit and am almost done with.

pa22word

Finished Revival (great book but didn't like the ending despite almost everyone saying that it was one of the best King's endings) and now onto It (20% read).

How much Lovecraft have you read? For me I think I've found people's enjoyment of the ending trends exponentially higher or lower depending on their enjoyment of Lovecraft.

The way he took the entire book to set up the ending, iirc literally from the first chapter, had me on the edge of my seat just waiting for the sword of damocles to fall on everyone. I hadn't read any of the press hype for it or anything just rando pre-ordered it because why not its king and even if it's mediocre it's going to be a fun ride, and from about 20 pages in I was like "omg this is totally a Lovecraft homage". It's one of my favorite modern king books, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone if they haven't read Lovecraft because the entire story is just the authorial equivalent of fanwank by King to Lovecraft.

Also to the guy reading atlas shrugged: bruh unless you're writing a paper on it or something don't bother. That's over a thousand pages of shit you could be spending on something actually worth it. Or 5 or so books that are even mediocre that you'll be here bitching about that'll still be more enjoyable in the long run than putting yourself through that mountain of dogshit on paper. I'm speaking from personal experience here >.<

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
1984 spoiler

Here we reach the central secret. As we have seen. the mystique of the Party, and above all of the Inner Party, depends upon doublethink. But deeper than this lies the original motive, the never-questioned instinct that first led to the seizure of power and brought doublethink, the Thought Police, continuous warfare, and all the other necessary paraphernalia into existence afterwards. This motive really consists . . .

Winston became aware of silence, as one becomes aware of a new sound. It seemed to him that Julia had been very still for some time past. She was lying on her side, naked from the waist upwards, with her cheek pillowed on her hand and one dark lock tumbling across her eyes. Her breast rose and fell slowly and regularly.

"Julia."

No answer.

"Julia, are you awake?"

No answer. She was asleep. He shut the book, put it carefully on the floor, lay down, and pulled the coverlet over both of them.

He had still, he reflected, not learned the ultimate secret. He understood how; he did not understand why.

This part was so silly. Why wouldn't he
resume reading at that part, and stopping mid-sentence at that. He even wonders about the "why" right after.

Anyway, I'm already past this chapter with just a little more to go. The book was an unpleasant read for the most part, but I know that's part of the point. I thought it was better than Animal Farm, which I thought was just ok.

I finished Promise of Blood, the first book in the Powder Mage series (Brian McClellan) and enjoyed it. I've never read a rifles x magic book so it was a refreshing take on fantasy and it made me want to check out more of the sub genre, like the Shadow Campaigns book that Geist posted about earlier this month.

Promise of Blood was fun with some cool action scenes. It has a bit of an anime feel (and I say that as a fan). I wish it had a bit more depth. It feels like there were topics / themes the book could have touched on but didn't. There's a better story around Taniel's failed engagement, the driving mystery for the first half of the book doesn't hold up to much scrutiny IMO, and addiction plays a role but never has consequences (of course this is fertile ground to plant the dark middle chapter of the trilogy so I wouldn't be surprised things come to a head in book 2). Overall it was a solid opener to a new series that could have felt more stand alone. Great ending also.

Jag

I finished Promise of Blood, the first book in the Powder Mage series (Brian McClellan) and enjoyed it. I've never read a rifles x magic book so it was a refreshing take on fantasy and it made me want to check out more of the sub genre, like the Shadow Campaigns book that Geist posted about earlier this month.

Promise of Blood was fun with some cool action scenes. It has a bit of an anime feel (and I say that as a fan). I wish it had a bit more depth. It feels like there were topics / themes the book could have touched on but didn't. There's a better story around Taniel's failed engagement, the driving mystery for the first half of the book doesn't hold up to much scrutiny IMO, and addiction plays a role but never has consequences (of course this is fertile ground to plant the dark middle chapter of the trilogy so I wouldn't be surprised things come to a head in book 2). Overall it was a solid opener to a new series that could have felt more stand alone. Great ending also.

Stay with it. Just a great series.

HotHamBoy

kind of a bizzare tangent, but I was watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang the other day, and it turns out that Dick Van Dyke plays a character that is damn close to a human version of Mr. underhill at the picaresque beginning of the book. Strangely enough, the beginning of the book has an emphasis with automobiles that the musical also shares, and there is also a foreign woman that hates his children. If you want to know how Mr. Underhill would look like if he was a human, and in the way that it is described by the translators but in musical format? take a look a this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBJGpNTP_lY

You reminded me of something I had meant to write in my original post!

A Deepness In The Sky seems in many ways to be a big nod towards H.G. Wells' The First Men In The Moon.

2012-09-08-16-51-19.jpg

The most obvious parallel is the cavorite, the anti-gravity material Mr. Cavor discovers and creates the first space ship with in Wells' story. Cavorite is the name used for the Spider's anti-grav material and is likewise used as their means of creating their spaceships.

But other parallels include Man's first encounter with an intelligent alien lifeform. In both books, this is an insectoid race that spends most of their lives deep underground.

Then there's Mr. Cavor and Mr. Underhill who are very similar in personality, eccentricity, inventiveness and conviction. The setting on The First Men In The Moon is around 1901. I feel like the Spider society at the beginning of the book is very similar to the early 20th century.

You reminded me of something I had meant to write in my original post!

A Deepness In The Sky seems in many ways to be a big nod towards H.G. Wells' The First Men In The Moon.

2012-09-08-16-51-19.jpg

The most obvious parallel is the cavorite, the anti-gravity material Mr. Cavor discovers and creates the first space ship with in Wells' story. Cavorite is the name used for the Spider's anti-grav material and is likewise used as their means of creating their spaceships.

But other parallels include Man's first encounter with an intelligent alien lifeform. In both books, this is an insectoid race that spends most of their lives deep underground.

Then there's Mr. Cavor and Mr. Underhill who are very similar in personality, eccentricity, inventiveness and conviction. The setting on The First Men In The Moon is around 1901. I feel like the Spider society at the beginning of the book is very similar to the early 20th century.
This is also one of my all time favorite sci-fi b-movies.

I had never seen the It movie, but had seen clips, and was worried that might make the book It less scary since I would have that image of Curry's Pennywise in my head. (I never really found the character scary)

But damn, King makes that damn clown scary af in the book. And I'm only 50 pages in.

fakefaker

Wrapped up The Wildings by Nilanjana Royand and have fallen in love with this animal fantasy book about cats. It was charming at times, cruel in others, it told an amazing story with small life lessons thrown in for good measure. I quite enjoyed it.

Next up, Men Walking on Water by Emily Schultz.

11be79_abb6191e77074b6b9cd0bcf091973d6f~mv2_d_1688_2475_s_2.webp

In preparation for the new Netflix series, I'm reading:

lcCFbMy.jpg

Always wanted to and now's a good of chance as any.

Well, I finished it and it's abundantly clear to me why it's a classic. It's just an utterly and completely charming book. Vivid detail of PEI and Avonlea. Anne is such a great character. So glad I picked this one up.

How much Lovecraft have you read? For me I think I've found people's enjoyment of the ending trends exponentially higher or lower depending on their enjoyment of Lovecraft.

The way he took the entire book to set up the ending, iirc literally from the first chapter, had me on the edge of my seat just waiting for the sword of damocles to fall on everyone. I hadn't read any of the press hype for it or anything just rando pre-ordered it because why not its king and even if it's mediocre it's going to be a fun ride, and from about 20 pages in I was like "omg this is totally a Lovecraft homage". It's one of my favorite modern king books, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone if they haven't read Lovecraft because the entire story is just the authorial equivalent of fanwank by King to Lovecraft.
<

Funny enough, after I read Revival I immediately went and read Lovecraft's entire collected works.

Just finished this:

Udva96b.jpg

I've enjoyed all of the books in this series, but this one was really something. I didn't look up what it was about at all, so I was super hyped when I immediately recognized
the Bloody-Nine himself.
I had no idea that a fantasy western would be this entertaining.

I've got Sharp Ends on hold at the library - is there a new trilogy or something on the way? I think someone here said that.

kswiston

Funny enough, after I read Revival I immediately went and read Lovecraft's entire collected works.

Just finished this:

Udva96b.jpg

I've enjoyed all of the books in this series, but this one was really something. I didn't look up what it was about at all, so I was super hyped when I immediately recognized
the Bloody-Nine himself.
I had no idea that a fantasy western would be this entertaining.

I've got Sharp Ends on hold at the library - is there a new trilogy or something on the way? I think someone here said that.

Yes. I don't know when the new trilogy will debut though. I am guessing late 2018 or 2019.

Yes. I don't know when the new trilogy will debut though. I am guessing late 2018 or 2019.

Thanks! I was trying to look up his site and see if there was any news. I did discover that he blogs and also plays the Souls games and Bloodborne though, pretty cool.

Just a heads up: Company Town by Madeline Ashby is on sale on Kindle today for $2.99. It was shortlisted in Canada Reads. It's also DRM free, if that kind of thing is important to you.

I finished The White Tiger by Aravind Adina the other day.

A really great book that has a unique point of view and really gets into the classist system in India. Very funny yet also inciteful. Solid stuff.

And I'm currently finishing up Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

Obviously I knew it was a classic going in, but I didn't expect the level of detail and depth in the relationship found in the novel. It's quite subtle how she undermines some patriarchal norms, yet supports others -- much like Jane Austen 50 years earlier.

I was also intrigued by the darkness at the centre of one of the novel's mysteries. You could definitely see the influence of Charlotte's sister, Emily Bronte (author of Wuthering Heights), here.

Magus1234

Haven't been able to buy anything new but finished some old stuff.

The Sound and the Fury - Faulkner

Villet - Bronte

Sentimental Education - Flaubert

Tenants of wildfell hall - Bronte

Wildthorn - Eagland

Reading Faulkner after Bronte probably wasn't a good idea but for the most part I enjoyed them all.

Probably going to go through some history/non-fiction books I have been putting off:

Architecture and Interior Design Through the 18th Century: An Integrated History

Sex and Sensibility: Ideal and Erotic Love from Milton to Mozart

Seventeenth and Eighteenth-Century Fashion in Detail: The 17th and 18th Centuries by Avril Hart

The Rapes of Lucretia: A Myth and Its Transformation&#8203;s

Now to start trudging through these. Hopefully somewhere through this I can buy some new stuff, a lot of the books you guys helped with are on my Amazon list just waiting.

18947303.jpg

I started this today because after Wise Man's Fear I wanted something short and light on magic. I blew through the first 70 pages and I'm having a ton of fun! Great action, wit to spare, and a quick pace.

Thanks! I was trying to look up his site and see if there was any news. I did discover that he blogs and also plays the Souls games and Bloodborne though, pretty cool.
He drinks scotch too. Read his Whisky Deathmatch blogs. Very entertaining. Also made me hunt down an Ardberg Corryvreckan based on his description alone.

Just finished Full Fathom Five by Max Gladestone. SOOO goood and I'm glad to finally find a good transgender lead in fantasy besides Tamir from the Tamir Triad.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just finished Full Fathom Five by Max Gladestone. SOOO goood and I'm glad to finally find a good transgender lead in fantasy besides Tamir from the Tamir Triad.

It's my goal this year to read the five Craft Sequence books (along with the rest of Marie Brennan's Lady Trent books).

besada

Banned
Finished the last of the available Penric and Desdemona novellas by Bujold. They may be my favorite Bujold characters. I wish she'd do some novels.

Tonight, onto Borne by Jeff VanderMeer, about a flying bear and a blob of gloop.

VCYNkrK.jpg

Ratrat

I'm doing a dystopia run. Just finished 1984 (Jesus that was depressing), now it's Brand New World followed by Atlus Shurgged. Any other similar books you guys recommend?
Have you heard of Brave New World? The Handmaids Tale is great and relevant today.

proto

Can someone recommend me some feel good books, please?

51hB97v-z0L.jpg

Lovelace was once merely a ship’s artificial intelligence. When she wakes up in a new body, following a total system shut-down and reboot, she has no memory of what came before. As Lovelace learns to negotiate the universe and discover who she is, she makes friends with Pepper, an excitable engineer, who’s determined to help her learn and grow.

Don't judge this book by its cover (or quote for that matter), it's actually a very thoughtful buddy-novel about finding one's purpose in an unfamiliar society.

It's heartwarming af

Nymerio

It gets better. Way better.

Not shit. Finished it two days ago. What a ride. It did need some time to get rolling, but once it did it was amazing. I'm now onto the second book, and it's great but it hasn't really hooked me like the first yet. I'm at
the part where Harmony just told him that Eo was pregnant (though I already figured that out in first book...)
Hopefully it picks up soon.

18966819.jpg

Little over 60% and absolutely loving The Emperor's Blades. I'm definitely continuing on with the Unhewn Throne series after I finish book 1.

He drinks scotch too. Read his Whisky Deathmatch blogs. Very entertaining. Also made me hunt down an Ardberg Corryvreckan based on his description alone.

Someone say scotch?! Oh hey

http://i.imgur.com/VCYNkrK.jpg[/img]

I'd be very interested to hear your opinions on this. I'm curious but that last book of the Southern Reach kinda soured me on him a bit.

Magus1234

I remember you talking about reading it before, would love to hear your opinions on Villette.

Well Bronte is probably my favorite author so you wont hear much criticism from me. She did a great job of kind of leading your taste and expectations towards certain characters then as the reveals play out, you suddenly find yourself doubting. Till of course the
exposition of the professor.

Bronte 's protagonists are always interesting too, In Lucy she creates this cold, laconic and emotionally guarded character; someone who is very practical and a realist with a splash of that classic romantic wit. I love this bit on art of how self realized she is,
In company a wretched idiosyncrasy forbade me to see much or to feel anything. In familiar company, where it was necessary to maintain a flow of talk on the subjects presence, half an hour would knock me up, with a combined pressure of physical lassitude and entire mental incapacity. I never yet saw the well-reared child, much less the educated adult, who could not put me to shame by the sustained intelligence of its demeanor under the ordeal of a conversable, sociable visitation of pictures, historical sights or buildings, or any lions of public interest
She never portrays her as weak or pitiable either , so when you have these moments of vulnerability you tend to feel for the character much deeper. For instance when
Dr. Graham slights her at the party, it doesn't come off as a moment in novel where you realize that maybe the two are perhaps not compatible, the romantic aspect is less meaningful than the emotional. It comes off as a hand pulling her back into the emotional void.

I put it off because my ability to read and understand French is really bad, I wanted to wait until I had a better grasp on it but oh well. It was a slight annoyance having to look things up but nothing that really took me out of the book.

Haven't been able to buy anything new but finished some old stuff.

The Sound and the Fury - Faulkner

How did you find this? I started it a while ago but put it down because I got busy. I know it has a reputation of being a rather difficult read, but I rarely run into that problem, personally. I loved As I Lay Dying, so I'd be interested in more Faulkner, for sure.

Have you heard of Brave New World? The Handmaids Tale is great and relevant today.

I thought that poster meant Brave New World, to be honest. Although, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a novel alluding to Huxley's work with a similar title, ala IQ84 -> 1984.

I think I'm going to take a little break from A Clash of Kings and might read some classic Sherlock Holmes.

Yeah, the Game of Thrones books can be quite a slog. They're really good, but there's so much to read. I don't even mention here that I'm reading them anymore, because I kind of always am. I read a bit almost every day, and am on Book 4, A Feast for Crows.

As far as Sherlock Holmes goes, I've only read Hound of the Baskervilles, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I was younger when I read it as well, so I imagine my appreciation for it will have only increased with time.

Still reading The Way of Kings... A little over halfway through, and while I really enjoy it, I'm feeling like it's taking me forever to get through.

Peru

Well Bronte is probably my favorite author so you wont hear much criticism from me. She did a great job of kind of leading your taste and expectations towards certain characters then as the reveals play out, you suddenly find yourself doubting. Till of course the
exposition of the professor.

Bronte 's protagonists are always interesting too, In Lucy she creates this cold, laconic and emotionally guarded character; someone who is very practical and a realist with a splash of that classic romantic wit. I love this bit on art of how self realized she is,

She never portrays her as weak or pitiable either , so when you have these moments of vulnerability you tend to feel for the character much deeper. For instance when
Dr. Graham slights her at the party, it doesn't come off as a moment in novel where you realize that maybe the two are perhaps not compatible, the romantic aspect is less meaningful than the emotional. It comes off as a hand pulling her back into the emotional void.

Well put!

I'm re-reading it now alongside other stuff. I always end up spending at least a week stuck on the parts around the school play where Lucy dresses up half man half woman and seduces Ginevra. Some of the most scintillating writing.

Magus1234

How did you find this? I started it a while ago but put it down because I got busy. I know it has a reputation of being a rather difficult read, but I rarely run into that problem, personally. I loved As I Lay Dying, so I'd be interested in more Faulkner, for sure.
If you like his other work I would go for it. It's one of those few books that I set aside as well, along with the obvious by Joyce and Proust. The book itself is quite amazing, really everything from the play of perspective and voice, the brutal American realism; he uses time like a new paragraph to a chapter, it just flawlessly weaves into the story, no jumps or jerks just an easy flow.

I think most people, us included(if this is why you set it down) get stuck in the foggy first part, he doesn't really light the way at all either. If you want some advice to make the sailing of that part much smoother, go check out the Wiki entry here and read the "Part 1" overview. After you get through that, it's smooth(nothing about this book is smooth though lol) sailing.

Faulkner is not really my style even though he really flexes his muscles in this book. It's hard not to be amazed by it. Actually I think Nabokov thinks Faulkner was the greatest novelist right behind Joyce, so I probably just need to read more of his work.
Maybe I'll check out As I Lay Dying next.
Well put!

I'm re-reading it now alongside other stuff. I always end up spending at least a week stuck on the parts around the school play where Lucy dresses up half man half woman and seduces Ginevra. Some of the most scintillating writing.

Oh I know, I re-imagined the story in the vein of a Sarah Waters novel a couple times >.< Alas even Bronte was a victim of her era's norms(not to presume she would of changed anything, but it's fun to imagine).

besada

Banned
I'd be very interested to hear your opinions on this. I'm curious but that last book of the Southern Reach kinda soured me on him a bit.

Well, it starts with a five-story tall flying bear named Mord and gets weirder from there. The Southern Reach books were sort of mainstream for VanderMeer. So far, this is much more classic VanderMeer, in the same sort of borderline surreal style as Veniss Underground or Shriek (although without Shriek's post-modern affectations).

Southern Reach was sort of permeating weirdness, but mostly in the background. In Borne the weirdness takes a front seat. I'll do a more thorough review when I finish, but, to be fair, I loved all three of the Southern Reach books:)

Posted a list of possible and existing Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies and TV shows from books coming up. Don't want to derail this thread, so I made a new one. Some incredible things in that list.

Added to the OP

Well, it starts with a five-story tall flying bear named Mord and gets weirder from there. The Southern Reach books were sort of mainstream for VanderMeer. So far, this is much more classic VanderMeer, in the same sort of borderline surreal style as Veniss Underground or Shriek (although without Shriek's post-modern affectations).

Southern Reach was sort of permeating weirdness, but mostly in the background. In Borne the weirdness takes a front seat. I'll do a more thorough review when I finish, but, to be fair, I loved all three of the Southern Reach books:)

That's exactly what I hated about Acceptance. It was so weird I didn't know what was happening anymore. Guess I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom