• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle.net is now just "Blizzard"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatrix

As long as it remains functionally the same as Battle.net, I don't see the big deal. I understand people have a connection to the name but if it works all the same is there anything to worry about?

Big Nikus

It's like instead of saying "I'm playing on my Xbox" you said "I'm playing on my Microsoft".

why
Imagine if Steam was rebranded as Valve :/

Zackat

This is not a big deal.

I was actually wondering if they were gonna put Destiny on the blizzard app. That'd be interesting. You could earn Destiny silver with WoW gold :p

dr_rus

"Hey, you should download Blizzard to play Starcraft".

Yeah, I can see how this will lead to some confusion.

Battle.net for life. I fondly remember the OG StarCraft days. To me, the social nature of chat channels somehow far eclipses what games and other social media platforms offer today, not in terms of features but rather in how tolerant everyone was.

Flipyap

TZgJviH.png

That's a great icon. You can tell right away that it's the 8||'/,-|\) App.

The icon after the update is the most generic looking shit I've seen. B.Net had a nifty name to it, a legacy of awesome but now it's joined one of the many modern "apps" out there.

I hope we get a reason for why they even did this.

I call it Battle Net as well without the dot.

Now it's Battle APP... -_- pure shit.

OK good. I remember watching a Blizzcon panel and they kept saying it over and over and over and I just thought it was one of the dumbest things I'd heard. It's almost like they knew people called it Battle Net, but they were trying to force the lexicon haha.

Tyreny

I can understand the rebranding away from Battle.net for people who are new to the platform. Sounds like a website rather than a gaming platform. Blizzard App sounds like what the working title was and they just never got to it though. At least Blizzard Online or Blizzard Portal would invoke a better sense of what it is.

Audette

I imagine if there is enough outcry they will change it to Blizzardnet. Bnet can still be a thing that way.

They can compromise a bit while still distancing themselves from the violent monicker of battle.

The taskbar icon changing from the Battle.net logo to "BLIZ" is such a downgrade. The update kept the executable and directory named Battle.net too so what's the point.

Yukinari

Everyone is gonna keep using the names Xbox Live, PSN, Nintendo Network and Steam even if any of those companies change their names too. Battle.net fits well among them.

What a weird decision. There wasn't anything wrong with battle.net so why change it? People unanimously understand that anything Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo are all played online via battle.net. It's been this way for decades.

Playing on "Blizzard" just sounds wrong. I'll get used to it but I'll always still call it battle.net.

messiaen

Name change is a little uninspired, I don't mind a name change but Blizzard is pretty dull. Biggest issue to me is the icon, specifically the task bar icon are egregiously ugly. The task bar icon reminds me of 90s software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom