• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men of War PC - Let's Talk About It.

Joseph Merrick said:
oblivion/morrowind? what about killing floor, call of juarez bound in blood, hearts of iron 3, tropico 3, red faction guerrilla, global agenda?

I totally forgot about Call of Jaurez 2. Red Faction isn't something that looks appealing but rather it looks like it will get old blowing stuff up (I know, anathema to me and take away my gamer license). Never played any tropico games prior so not sure about that. Killing Floor is something that looks good in idea but I haven't seen enough to get to psyched for it.

Joseph Merrick said:
oblivion/morrowind? what about killing floor, call of juarez bound in blood, hearts of iron 3, tropico 3, red faction guerrilla, global agenda?

Joseph, you suck! I just purchased Killing Floor to appease you :lol

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
All I want to say is that Men of War is my favorite RTS ever.

I played the shit out of Soldiers published by Codemasters a while back and this very much reminds me of that game. Is it the same devs?

This game is so good because it doesn't feel like an RTS. There are no unit abstractions. Every soldier/person is an entity that can take action on their own.

Currently at the train level in the Russian campaign. O.M.G. O.M.G.

Llyranor

Yup, same devs. This is 3rd game in series, after Faces of War (which doesn't as good variety and netcode as the other 2, though).

chespace

Anyone interested in playing co-op tonight?

With so much shit going on at once, this game is MADE for co-op.

BeeDog

What the hell, after all the positive buzz in this topic, I wanted to try out the demo on Steam. I click on "Install Demo", and nothing happens. But then I read below and it says Vista x64 is not supported (which I have).

Seriously? Any way to get it to work, or am I shit out of luck?

Vista x64 is supported. Just download the non-steam demo. Holy shit you steam people, completely crippled.

Musashi Wins! said:
You liked the first Call of Juarez? My MoW loving friend?
Yes, very much so. It's a freakish thing but I can't resist the Techland.

BeeDog

Joseph Merrick said:
Vista x64 is supported. Just download the non-steam demo. Holy shit you steam people, completely crippled.

:lol Thanks. Already started leeching it a little while ago, since I (correctly it seems) assumed it might work that way.

Shawsie64

Banned
Sorry for the bump but fuck this looks good!

I just stumbled across it on steam and bought it off a whim for something to do, then i read the eurogamer review and im excited as! :D

Downloading now

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Shawsie64 said:
Sorry for the bump but fuck this looks good!

I just stumbled across it on steam and bought it off a whim for something to do, then i read the eurogamer review and im excited as! :D

Downloading now

It ain't that old! Let us know what you think. I've slacked for the last few days, a friend and I were supposed to do co-op and I got roped into more CIV4. And then Sacred 2. Being a modern gamer is an embarrassment of riches.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
so far, game of the year.

the engine is mind blowing. like a sandbox rts. you can have your hands full with a couple of dudes or a single tank, yet some missions have you controlling a larger numbers of units than i've ever seen in a ww2 rts (the second ruskie mission has you holding the fort with similar numbers to a late game 4v4 coh battle), and it's never overwhelming to control.

each unit can be micro managed to the point where it's almost a 3rd person tactical action game. every last soldier has an inventory and can perform a huge range of tasks (depending on what items they scavenge), can hijack any vehicle, pick up any weapon and garrison any building.

the missions where you are given just a couple of guys to command are seamlessly integrated with - and often scale into epic attrition-fests/assaults, through which you can choose to be as tower defense or dota-y as you wish, depending on whether you want to concentrate on macro tweaks or intensively micro a single t34.

and did i mention all missions from the 3 campaigns can be played with up to 4 players in co-op?

this is all coming from someone who usually has no interest in rts/rtt campaigns.

criminally overlooked, this game is incredible.

Joseph Merrick said:
Yes, very much so. It's a freakish thing but I can't resist the Techland.

i'm spotting a trend here.

Shawsie64

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
It ain't that old! Let us know what you think. I've slacked for the last few days, a friend and I were supposed to do co-op and I got roped into more CIV4. And then Sacred 2. Being a modern gamer is an embarrassment of riches.

will do, if only my poxy Australian internet would download it faster :(

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Cool, ghst, I figured you would enjoy it.

I like CoH too, but this is more ambitious and thrilling to me. It's not just lack of constraint but the fact that it all works so well in allowing you to play with the freedom. You certainly aren't locked out of control or complexity because the barriers are larger.

chespace

Played this until 2am last night (school night, mind you) and got to the Penal Army mission in the Russian campaign. The mission before that "Moscow is behind us" was one of the most epic battles I've ever played in a game. Unbelievably tense and huge in scope.

Bummer that the Direct 2 Drive patch isn't out yet. I like some of the patch notes and would like to see my game patched. Still, GOTY on PC so far.

I ask again, anyone want to do co-op with me? ghst, you're on my steam friends list. :p

Musashi Wins! said:
Cool, ghst, I figured you would enjoy it.

I like CoH too, but this is more ambitious and thrilling to me. It's not just lack of constraint but the fact that it all works so well in allowing you to play with the freedom. You certainly aren't locked out of control or complexity because the barriers are larger.

I can't seem to play RTS' for too long without getting somewhat bored so I have stayed away from this. Although all of your words have given me the itch to buy it :(

chespace said:
Played this until 2am last night (school night, mind you) and got to the Penal Army mission in the Russian campaign. The mission before that "Moscow is behind us" was one of the most epic battles I've ever played in a game. Unbelievably tense and huge in scope.

Bummer that the Direct 2 Drive patch isn't out yet. I like some of the patch notes and would like to see my game patched. Still, GOTY on PC so far.

I ask again, anyone want to do co-op with me? ghst, you're on my steam friends list. :p

Arghh, not you too. Man it sounds awesome!

chespace

LovingSteam said:
Arghh, not you too. Man it sounds awesome!

It is absolutely mindblowingly awesome.

Keep in mind that I pretty much don't like RTS games and, being a fan of games like Soldiers: Heroes of WWII from previous years, was supremely underwhelmed by Dawn of War 2 when I finally got around to playing it a month ago. Meh.

chespace said:
It is absolutely mindblowingly awesome.

Keep in mind that I pretty much don't like RTS games and, being a fan of games like Soldiers: Heroes of WWII from previous years, was supremely underwhelmed by Dawn of War 2 when I finally got around to playing it a month ago. Meh.

I was watching videos on youtube and it looks freaking amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpl4_D7zKPc

How much of this is actual gameplay?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Are the D2D patches unique? As in the separate gamersgate one wouldn't work? I'm not sure about all that. That one might be the same as the retail.

chespace

Musashi Wins! said:
Are the D2D patches unique? As in the separate gamersgate one wouldn't work? I'm not sure about all that. That one might be the same as the retail.

Yes, they are unique. Go check out their forums. So many people pissed off about how they're handling the patching. Every digital distributor and publisher has a different patch and the bottomline is that D2D patch isn't out probably until next week. It's tragic.

But this game is too good to stay away.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
chespace said:
Yes, they are unique. Go check out their forums. So many people pissed off about how they're handling the patching. Every digital distributor and publisher has a different patch and the bottomline is that D2D patch isn't out probably until next week. It's tragic.

But this game is too good to stay away.

Are you able to co-op with different versions? At least you know it's coming!

Yea, the graphics and particle effects are fantastic. He has the camera pulled close and is choking haha.

chespace

Musashi Wins! said:
Are you able to co-op with different versions? At least you know it's coming!

Yea, the graphics and particle effects are fantastic. He has the camera pulled close and is choking haha.

You want to try co-op? What version do you have?

Maybe we can set up a Steam chat and play? I have the D2D version.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
chespace said:
You want to try co-op? What version do you have?

Maybe we can set up a Steam chat and play? I have the D2D version.

I got the gamersgate, but it's patched. I can't play right now, about to crash unfortunately, what's your steam id I'll add you.

chespace

Musashi Wins! said:
I got the gamersgate, but it's patched. I can't play right now, about to crash unfortunately, what's your steam id I'll add you.

Hit me up on Steam. My ID is chespace.

Some of these missions are BEGGING, nay SCREAMING for co-op.

yesterday I was trying to download the demo on steam but this did not work. Thx for notice that there is a no-steam demo aswell. Haven't thought about this tbh. :D

Downloading now and testing when I get home :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Caesar III said:
yesterday I was trying to download the demo on steam but this did not work. Thx for notice that there is a no-steam demo aswell. Haven't thought about this tbh. :D

Downloading now and testing when I get home :)

Same here! I had heard so many good things about the game that I wanted to give it a try, because even at the sale price of $26.99 it wasn't quite impulse-purchase level. Unfortunately I couldn't download the demo from Steam so I got it from a different source. I installed, but I still haven't got around to playing it yet. I see the price went back to normal, but if the game is good I won't mind paying the additional $3.

Llyranor

heh. I purged my old codemasters forum account a while ago. going back and reading over old forum posts is never a good idea. they had to go.

ghst said:
so far, game of the year.
indeed

i'm spotting a trend here.
I like... good developers? heh. really looking forward to seeing if they can actually make the chrome series good with chrome 2. hope so.

OK, played the demo, this game rocks.

I lost even on the second try because of the controls :D And the voice acting is indeed strange :D

This is on my "to buy list" @ steam now :)

Caesar III said:
OK, played the demo, this game rocks.

I lost even on the second try because of the controls :D And the voice acting is indeed strange :D

This is on my "to buy list" @ steam now :)
You are in for such a treat. I'm pretty sure the demo is only the first level, wait till the second. So fucking intense, and one of those rare instances where failing at 99% complete in a mission had me eagerly pressing reload rather than smashing my keyboard.

Also, I am very much down for co-op, I have the D2D version but I play through Steam, same ID as my name here if anyone wants to add me.

This game is such an incredible deal though. 3 actually good campaigns (if the quality holds up), 4 player co-op, MP which I'm too scared to touch at the moment, and a lot of pretty that actually runs better than most games on my middling PC--and its $30 full price. Truly a crime how seemingly overlooked this is.

Llyranor

This game absolutely must be played in co-op. It's infinitely more fun. I can't imagine not playing it in co-op anymore.

For all of you who love the game, you should pick up Soldiers from GOG for 10$. It's a smaller scope (fewer units to control), so quite a different focus, but the core gameplay is very similar and just as awesome. Faces of War ups the scale but is less polished and has the worst netcode of the 3 (10 bucks on D2D).

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i feel like having a gaf social on this game in the near future. setting up a battlezone server (think team deathmatch, or king of the hill) and slugging it out, nothing too competitive.

who would be down?

Shawsie64

Banned
Okay so I got this last week but didn't have time to really play it until last night. Completed the most epic battle iv had in a RTS ever
2nd mission where you have to guard the freight train as its being loaded, was so intense. I completed the mission just as hundreds of Germans overran my last line of defense. Cant wait to play more tonight :D

These games are amazing, my only issue with them though is the inventory management, while it is one of the best parts of the series, it's also one of the worst. I could never find a "loot all" button that would send my little soldiers out to scavenge weapons and ammo.

Top Bottom