• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men of War PC - Let's Talk About It.

bought yesterday, downloaded this afternoon and played the first mission. Damn, this game is hard, even on normal :D

Started mission 2 and was WOWed. That's just awesome :D

Rur0ni

Bought this earlier today, downloading now. Played the demo... I feel it's one of those games I'll appreciate more online, but damn does it have depth.

Oh and this is my first DD purchase that's not Steam.

Damn, those missions are great. They need some proper voice actors though.

The defend and counter attack mission was so awesome. In the end I overran them with all my big fucking tanks, it was so unbelieveable. There is so much going on on the screen every time and then you can control all of them individually, so so great.

I have to buy this again for my brother :D (edit: bought)

Damn, I'm stuck in the "The Last Stand" Mission of the Russians.

I cannot stand long enough :( In the official forums they talked about some Airstrikes to destroy those Thors but WTF? Where can I order Airstrikes?

And is there a way to prevent my AntiTank arti from being killed by tanks instantly? damnit. Is it just bad luck all the time?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Got around to playing the demo. Seems rad, and direct fire mode is extremely satisfying. Will keep the game in mind for sure.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
EviLore said:
Got around to playing the demo. Seems rad, and direct fire mode is extremely satisfying. Will keep the game in mind for sure.

You would love this game, I hope they give it a Steam sale soon. Gamersgate has a few times.

Llyranor

Direct fire/control is awesome. With much improved squad controls/AI (being more independant), it's the best balance between controlling larger groups and still going rambo with single units/vehicles in the series.

CushVA

Caesar III said:
Damn, I'm stuck in the "The Last Stand" Mission of the Russians.

I cannot stand long enough :( In the official forums they talked about some Airstrikes to destroy those Thors but WTF? Where can I order Airstrikes?

And is there a way to prevent my AntiTank arti from being killed by tanks instantly? damnit. Is it just bad luck all the time?

airstrikes are available on the medium & hard difficulty settings. I still haven't gotten past this mission, at one point I think I had about 5 ships evacuated before everything collapsed. It seems like this mission is all about luck. Seems to be random

on another note, has anyone gotten past the Airstrip bonus mission? I've done everything, but it still tells me that I have to destroy all the planes (which I have). Is this just a bug?. Though I will add that blowing up the fuel depot is awesome.

Favorite weapon is the rocket launcher in the last allied mission

My friend and I have been having tons of fun in the campaign co-op. The lack of an in-game save makes it pretty hard, though, so we've been known to move on to the next map if we get too close to the end of one... :)

If anyone else needs help on deciding whether to buy this or not, here's another gameplay video with a few explosions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxLaf0VWZ7k

edit. Oh right, this is from Faces of War, but it's pretty much the same in MoW.

draftingscotch said:
My friend and I have been having tons of fun in the campaign co-op. The lack of an in-game save makes it pretty hard, though, so we've been known to move on to the next map if we get too close to the end of one... :)

If anyone else needs help on deciding whether to buy this or not, here's another gameplay video with a few explosions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxLaf0VWZ7k

edit. Oh right, this is from Faces of War, but it's pretty much the same in MoW.
amazing video. so awesome.

only now watched the mechs of war videos aswell hehe.

the stalker ones are good aswell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR1h34bchNE&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcUucu08LTk&fmt=18

Llyranor

This is 11 bucks on Gamersgate. Get this first, get ArmA2 when it's cheaper and when it gets patched multiple times (which it probably needs, given the dev's history).

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Llyranor said:
This is 11 bucks on Gamersgate. Get this first, get ArmA2 when it's cheaper and when it gets patched multiple times (which it probably needs, given the dev's history).

I..um...I think he's sort of a booster for a competing service.

But yea, otherwise, good advice.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
LovingSteam said:
What do you mean booster?

Boosters are parents who support and work for their children's school for free because they love their kids soooo much.

Unless you actually work for Steam, in which case I missed that and apologize.

Musashi Wins! said:
Boosters are parents who support and work for their children's school for free because they love their kids soooo much.

Unless you actually work for Steam, in which case I missed that and apologize.

Ahh gottcha. I didn't understand the context of your statement. I am not an employee of Steam just really enjoy it ;)

yes, it's a lot worse. all these games had different international publishers btw, soldiers was codemasters, faces of war was ubisoft, silent heroes was paradox (yes, I know this game isn't part of the main series). men of war is 505.

Lol, some demo dialog is already hilarious.:lol

I remember some awesome environmental destruction in soldiers. Especially the Wittman tank mission and the trainyard mission had some cool stuff going on. I take it that this game 1ups it?

Standalone expansion announced

A standalone expansion for Best Way's PC action-RTS Men of War is due to hit North American retailers and digital download providers this fall, 1C and Aspyr said today.

Men of War: Red Tide, as the expansion is called, will see players take control of Soviet "Black Coat" marines and their various air, land and sea-based vehicles throughout "more than 20 missions" set during the Black Sea Campaigns of World War II.

The expansion should look very similar, if not a tad more ...red.

The new campaign is set to be "based on the writings of Soviet scribe Alexander Zorich," the two publishers said, and packs "dozens of new or upgraded units and weapons."

Details on some of the battlegrounds and new units can be found below:

The player has direct control of new game units including the Black Coats, new tanks, self-propelled guns, armored trains, landing craft, artillery and new enemy emplaced weapons to capture and use. New air support options include new fighters, bombers, hydroplanes; cruisers, destroyers and gun boats which provide naval fire support.

Fighting during the Black Sea Campaigns of WWII, history buffs and WWII aficionados will recognize theaters of battle such as Odessa, Sevastopol, Theodosia, Eltingen, Nikolaev and Constanta.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59294

I like the game alot. But when the action gets really chaotic, I keep struggling with micromanagement. I'm now at the point where I have to hold the line for 12 ships to safely exit the port. The Germans overrun me every time.

And can anyone explain to me why the game runs much worse in MP than in SP?

Such a fun game. And as a bonus, are my ears deceiving me or am I right now listening to the worst voice acting to ever grace a video game?

iam220

Seen this thread, got the demo, bought the game.

Game is quite fun, I'm currently on the second mission and having a blast but the micro management is killing me! Having to keep track of ammo for each individual soldier is a bit much if you ask me. I understand it's trying to be realistic but it would be helpful if the soldiers had an option to auto resupply. Also, an option to pause the game and give orders would be a very welcoming addition to the single player.

I'm still coming to gripes with the game but so far I'm glad i've bought it. Is there a way to assign hot keys to select certain squads? I can't seem to figure it out.

Llyranor

Guys, you don't NEED to micromanage everything. The AI is self-sufficient enough that it can hold its own in most cases, and you just concentrate on the main areas requiring your attentions.

Also, if you select a group of units, double-clicking on items will spread them out evenly amongst the group, and ammo of a particular kind will only go to units having weapons that use that ammo.

I think it's shift-number for squads.

Pressing PAUSE will pause the game, though I'm not sure if you can issue orders.

iam220

Thanks for the tips.

I know that the AI takes good care of itself the problem is that it does nothing when it runs out of ammo. Making me responsible for resupplying them.

Shift-number? I was trying ctrl-number, heh. Thanks.

Pause does pause the game and allow me to look around, but I'm unable to give orders :(

secon mission is where you have to defend the train right? I had to replay this 4 times :lol

I always have a good amount of bad luck. My tanks make 4-5 direct hits with the right ammo and a green target at the enemy tank but I don't even harm this one. On the other side they shoot ONCE and my tank is history :(

This happens EVERYTIME :(

ghst

thanks for the laugh
75% off on steam. (£6.25)

BUY THIS FUCKING GAME.

(someone update thread title too? game needs love like no other)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For $7.50 USD this game is absolutely worth it - I've had nothing but good times when I play it.

Looks like I need to purchase a couple Steam gifts for unbelievers!

Top Bottom