• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men of War PC - Let's Talk About It.

traveler said:
Gold edition on sale for 11.89 on steam today.

I'm debating with my wallet right now. On the one hand, I love RTSes, yet on the other, I absolutely suck at them. Still, this is a more tactics focused RTS, right? CoH is my favorite RTS to date and hearing that this is even more intricate in its emphasis on actual management in combat has me extremely close to hitting "buy."

...but this isn't the best time to buy yet another game as I already have a decent amount on my plate and there are several titles coming out in the next few weeks that I'll be purchasing.

Not sure what my recommendation would mean to you, since you love RTSs and I dislike just about all of them. But as a non-fan of RTS games I had a total blast with Men of War. It has its flaws (bizzare difficulty curve, moderate graphics, terrible voice acting, occasionaly obtuse controls) but it really is a very fun game in spite of them.

I like it for blending stuff that WWII history buffs like, such as realistic armor penetration, multiple tank variants, semi-realistic small unit tactics with pure "fun" additions like direct control of tank movement and aiming, repairing and manning disabled enemy vehicles in the field and running around and looting arms and hats from dead germans.

I read a recommendation to set the game to easy and I liked it much better that way. The game can be very hard for specific missions and lots of the missions have unclearly worded objectives so easy spares lots of grief. Still seemed plenty challenging to me.

One thing to note is that if you have a big backlog you might be fine with just the original game for 5.50 as opposed to the package. I'm personally avoiding Red Tide even though I liked the original. Seems like the original already had plenty of gameplay with three campaigns and lots of single missions and didn't really see the need for more of the same.

Sanjay said:
I would really like some feedback please on its multi-player aspects, I love COH but only for its on-line multi-player so how does this game work on-line on multi-player?
the modes are quite close to what you've got in coh (http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/?fi=1707), but a lot more fun of course, since you're playing men of war. people online for some reason seem to favour bigger games and armor though. which is strange, since I'm pretty sure more infantry focus with some armor and 2v2 or so is the most fun. 8v8 is hilarious but just utter chaos.

TheFightingFish said:
One thing to note is that if you have a big backlog you might be fine with just the original game for 5.50 as opposed to the package. I'm personally avoiding Red Tide even though I liked the original. Seems like the original already had plenty of gameplay with three campaigns and lots of single missions and didn't really see the need for more of the same.
if you favour multiplayer then definitely don't get red tide, heh. but the red tide missions do definitely have a different flavour to them than the regular game ones. and a ton of weird new units for the ww2 nerds.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
DennisK4 said:
This is a great, great offer for these games. Get them.

PC gaming at its finest - you WILL be challenged.

completing the second mission of the original russian campaign really should've found its way into an amended version of rudyard kipling's "if" by now.

hell, that mission is worth the steam asking price alone.

Daigoro

ah screw it, its so cheap i need to buy both just in case. no point in just buying the first game just to find out i love it and need the expansion asap.

ill definitely buy this week.

OatmealMu

The gold edition was too cheap to pass up, so I bought it. Problem is, I'm kind of bad at RTS games and find myself turtling a lot. Anyone else who's terrible at these types of games want to attempt the singleplayer campaign with me? We can suck together.

Steam ID: OatmealMu

My brother explained to me that a lot of guys in the official CoH forums are talking about men of war as the better CoH. I did not check that though I think it is the right statement.

Multiplayer in this could be awesome because of the line of sight of every unit. You can sneak up a tank from behind to blow it up. Community is great as well I heard.
I did not check that either. Not enought time so far. SP only for me and I love this game even without ever touching the MP, so GET IT NAO

edit: I tried COOP once with my brother. It's great. You can play every Singleplayer mission that way.

Is the expansion really worth it? The main game for $5 looks like a better deal to me, especially since I probably don't have the time for both..

Or would you guys definitely recommend the expansion as well?

ghst said:
completing the second mission of the original russian campaign really should've found its way into an amended version of rudyard kipling's "if" by now.

hell, that mission is worth the steam asking price alone.

Was that the trainyard defense mission? I set the game difficulty down to easy and still found it totally challenging and brutal.

I finally cleared it with just a handful of soldiers still alive and barricaded around my final remaining AT gun and the burned out hull of my single T-34. Seeing that train finally pull out of the station was one of the first times that I've really felt challenged by a game in a long while (as opposed to challenged in the hand/eye reflex fashion, which happens pretty often).

iam220

tahrikmili said:
Is the expansion really worth it? The main game for $5 looks like a better deal to me, especially since I probably don't have the time for both..

Or would you guys definitely recommend the expansion as well?

the expansion is single player only and gives you a bunch of new missions (that are brutally hard, harder then the original IMO!). To me, both the game and expansion is worth 5x the asking price but if you don't have the time or if the single player aspect doesn't really appeal to you; then stick to the original.

Druz

Caesar III said:
My brother explained to me that a lot of guys in the official CoH forums are talking about men of war as the better CoH. I did not check that though I think it is the right statement.

Multiplayer in this could be awesome because of the line of sight of every unit. You can sneak up a tank from behind to blow it up. Community is great as well I heard.
I did not check that either. Not enought time so far. SP only for me and I love this game even without ever touching the MP, so GET IT NAO

edit: I tried COOP once with my brother. It's great. You can play every Singleplayer mission that way.

As the better COH? They're two completely different styles of game. COH is the better COH, MoW has its charms though.

Llyranor

This was my personal GOTY; such an awesome awesome game. I don't even bother with PvP; the co-op is utterly fantastic, and the game still has tons of lasting value (harder diffs, fog of war).

I wouldn't compare CoH to MoW so much (except for how the Soldiers/MoW series already had all the 'innovations' that CoH supposedly had like cover/physics years before CoH was even released), given that CoH is pretty much a fairly traditional RTS, whereas MoW series is its very own beast.

I have no actual interest in the xpac, since it's sp only. The NEXT xpac, actually made by the original devs Best Way, however, will have co-op and is day1 for me.

OatmealMu

I just got rocked on the train yard mission. Was going well until I hit around 85%. That nice, big tank I stupidly lost early on sure would've helped. I ended up losing at 97% completion. Way to twist the knife, game. :(

Can you advance the campaign through the cooperative missions? Managing everything when the shit hits the fan makes my head spin.

OatmealMu said:
I just got rocked on the train yard mission. Was going well until I hit around 85%. That nice, big tank I stupidly lost early on sure would've helped. I ended up losing at 97% completion. Way to twist the knife, game. :(

Can you advance the campaign through the cooperative missions? Managing everything when the shit hits the fan makes my head spin.
unlocking all the missions, like this
http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=3463
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=10908

still works, I believe. although you should try that mission a couple more times. it isn't that hard once you get a little better at the game. but unlocking everything is useful anyway.

Daigoro

OatmealMu said:
The gold edition was too cheap to pass up, so I bought it. Problem is, I'm kind of bad at RTS games and find myself turtling a lot. Anyone else who's terrible at these types of games want to attempt the singleplayer campaign with me? We can suck together.

Steam ID: OatmealMu

thats me!

and hey, we're friends already. thats convenient.

we should set something up and try out some missions later this week maybe.

Daigoro

ok, i bought it. about 75% done downloading MOW.

let me know if you want to try out some co-op some time this week Oatmeal.

this game mixes stealth, precision, and sandbox tactics to create an experience like nothing i've ever seen. the coop is just mindblowing.

OatmealMu

Daigoro said:
ok, i bought it. about 75% done downloading MOW.

let me know if you want to try out some co-op some time this week Oatmeal.

Sounds good. You'll probably want to download the 1.16.4 patch. There are some directions floating around that explain how to patch the Steam version. Here's what I used:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-951398.html

I've been putting some time into coop, and the best experience so far was probably an 80-minute 3-man coop game. Things get pretty crazy. My only real concern is the lack of open servers. The developer doesn't force users to download patches, so there are multiple game versions out there. 1.11.3 seems to be popular, but the Steam version 1.11.4 by default. The second most popular version seems to be 1.16.4, but it's multiplayer-only. The number of password-locked servers, especially cooperative ones, is a problem, too.

Daigoro

OatmealMu said:
Sounds good. You'll probably want to download the 1.16.4 patch. There are some directions floating around that explain how to patch the Steam version. Here's what I used:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-951398.html

I've been putting some time into coop, and the best experience so far was probably an 80-minute 3-man coop game. Things get pretty crazy. My only real concern is the lack of open servers. The developer doesn't force users to download patches, so there are multiple game versions out there. 1.11.3 seems to be popular, but the Steam version 1.11.4 by default. The second most popular version seems to be 1.16.4, but it's multiplayer-only. The number of password-locked servers, especially cooperative ones, is a problem, too.

ah, thats why it said you were in a "non Steam game".

man this is all pretty overwhelming. so many options to choose from. the controls are also very complicated. its going to take a while for me to get used to it.

seems like is going to be brilliant if i can wrap my head around it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Even though I had the first one on Gamersgate already from a sale long ago I picked up the bundle on Steam. I only played for a few minutes when I got it on Gamersgate, but I've been about this quite a bit recently and am looking forward to digging into it.

Holy crap. I just played the very first mission.

First thoughts: voice acting sucks, graphics are worse than CoH, and it just seems kinda of shoddy. But goddamn, it is deep. I kill some Germans who come up the road and notice that I can loot their bodies. I take a few grenades and a German helmet. A little while later, after I've formed a squad, I'm given control of a tank I just repaired. So far it's a point and click affair.

But then I look at the controls and notice I can take direct control of the tank. I can also zoom all the way out to a top down perspective, or a "deeper" view of the battlefield.

My only qualms so far:

1. I wish we had a camera option, when in direct control mode, that would cause the camera to follow where you are aiming.
2. My soldiers don't seem to like to fire on their own and when I let my tank "control itself", it just let Germans run up to it and toss anti-tank grenades onto it. Is there a way to adjust this?

Otherwise, I love it. It's a mix of an MMO + loot game + RTS + 3rd person shooter. Also, EVERYTHING is destructable.

Are there any good mods?

Also, HE rounds + supply trucks = win.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why am I dragging my feet to play Red Tide? I loved vanilla Men of War. Anyone have experience with Red Tide and can get me hyped up to play it once I get off work?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Mr. Snrub said:
My only qualms so far:

1. I wish we had a camera option, when in direct control mode, that would cause the camera to follow where you are aiming.
2. My soldiers don't seem to like to fire on their own and when I let my tank "control itself", it just let Germans run up to it and toss anti-tank grenades onto it. Is there a way to adjust this?

1. doesn't it do this by default? don't seem to remember it being an issue.
2. your units will often default to return fire mode, you can change this to hold fire or fire at will with the top left button on the 9 button panel in the bottom right. also keep them stocked up on ammo, which they can and will run out of.

and heading into a swarm of angry men with a tank wont work for you, especially in passive control mode. don't over extend, pull back if you're getting swarmed. everything is potentially a threat. in missions where you only really have a single tank, almost all your actions with it should be under direct control.

Daigoro

does the game start with the Russian missions?

when i started the game for the first time my only options were Continue or Load Game. so i hit continue and started off with a Russian tank mission.

im also having a problem with the camera when in direct control. the camera is really hard to control for me. i need to remap the controls or something.

for some reason it feels like the game was made for someone left handed. i keep wanting to use WASD to control in direct control mode instead of the arrow keys, but id have to remap a bunch of crap to do that.

i dunno if i should change them or just suck it up and learn the scheme.

Daigoro

k. ill just roll with it.

i did the first mission and di ok, but got very lost on the second mission with all of the AA guns. lost horribly.

im going to try again now.

Mr. Snrub said:
Also, HE rounds + supply trucks = win.

So much this. Boom.

Finally got past the train loading mission yesterday afternoon. Those last ten percent were pretty nuts :lol I was doing fine until they rolled something like five tanks in at once, and I didn't have enough mines or anti-tank grenades in position. Took out a few, but if I had been 5% behind I'd have lost the mission.

ghst said:
1. doesn't it do this by default? don't seem to remember it being an issue.
2. your units will often default to return fire mode, you can change this to hold fire or fire at will with the top left button on the 9 button panel in the bottom right. also keep them stocked up on ammo, which they can and will run out of.

and heading into a swarm of angry men with a tank wont work for you, especially in passive control mode. don't over extend, pull back if you're getting swarmed. everything is potentially a threat. in missions where you only really have a single tank, almost all your actions with it should be under direct control.

It must have been their fire mode, because they wouldn't shoot at shit unless I told them to. Can't wait to get off work and try again!

Daigoro said:
im also having a problem with the camera when in direct control. the camera is really hard to control for me. i need to remap the controls or something.

for some reason it feels like the game was made for someone left handed. i keep wanting to use WASD to control in direct control mode instead of the arrow keys, but id have to remap a bunch of crap to do that.

i dunno if i should change them or just suck it up and learn the scheme.
i remapped the movement keys, but the arrows work as well considering you will be using the numpad a lot to fine tune the camera. rotating and changing the angle helps a ton with lining up shots and spotting infantry behind cover.

also, play around with LMB (left mouse button) orders turned off. the game became more managable for me and i stopped accidentally issuing orders to a unit when i meant to select a different one. controls like a Blizzard rts with that setting unchecked.

Llyranor

I just reconfigured the controls to allow WASD movement. The hotkeys they replace aren't that important. I then use spacebar for direct control, E to reload, Q to unload, R and F to move position up or down. Most everything else can be done by mouse. Don't have any prob with camera control using middle-mouse.

First level is really just a tutorial. Train mission is where the game really starts, and manages to feel more grand in scope than the end-game in other games.

Haven't tried the Faces of War pack, but that wasn't a bad game. It just had fairly unoptimized netcode, and the missions really lacked tanks to control. Will definitely give the mod a try.

Daigoro

warbegins said:
i remapped the movement keys, but the arrows work as well considering you will be using the numpad a lot to fine tune the camera. rotating and changing the angle helps a ton with lining up shots and spotting infantry behind cover.

also, play around with LMB (left mouse button) orders turned off. the game became more managable for me and i stopped accidentally issuing orders to a unit when i meant to select a different one. controls like a Blizzard rts with that setting unchecked.

yeah, i am constantly fiddling with the camera. im getting more used to it the more i play.

not sure i understand how it plays with LMB orders turned off, ill look into that.

i also havent been using the middle mouse button to control the camera. can i rotate it with that? all ive used it for is zoom in/out so far.

anyways, i beat the third mission today. took me a while and i failed like 2/4 of the objectives, but i made it out alive! took me a while to figure out how to exit the map though...

this game is pretty damn amazing.

Daigoro

ug. ok i finally figure out how to use the middle mouse to control the camera. that helps a lot. dunno why i was being so dense about that.

i just save Moscow. that mission was intense. i was pretty sure i was going to lose before i had to pull back to the main defenses, but i made it with only a few scattered troops left.

then i got to call in a bunch of tanks and crush. that was fun.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I tried the first mission the other night and while it was a lot of fun the controls were frustrating. I'm definitely going to remap them for WSAD and turn off the left click orders for my next session.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Daigoro said:
ug. ok i finally figure out how to use the middle mouse to control the camera. that helps a lot. dunno why i was being so dense about that.

i just save Moscow. that mission was intense. i was pretty sure i was going to lose before i had to pull back to the main defenses, but i made it with only a few scattered troops left.

then i got to call in a bunch of tanks and crush. that was fun.

Just like real life. :D I love this game!

I got the game off of the great steam sale and was wondering why everyone online had a different version such that I couldn't play with them. It turns out steam does not have the latest version!

The "For Dummies" Guide to installing the Men of War 1.16.4 Patch

Basically the patch just extracts to C:\ like the retarded patch it is and then you just copy all the files in that folder into your men of war folder in steamapps\common overwriting everything when it asks you to. Then you have to launch the brand new outfront_mp.exe file to play multi, not the old one, so you should probably make a steam shortcut to it.

Metal Gear?! said:
It turns out steam does not have the latest version!
only because it's still a "beta" version though. actually I'm not sure if they're ever going to get it finalised. they seem to only be working on the multiplayer through the new assault squad expansion now.

Top Bottom