• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Thread 3: Indie Jones and the Template of Doom

Glad for the influx of new people in the thread, and old faces coming back :)

Here's this week's loot:
LameAccomplishedArawana-size_restricted.gif

One more week and I should be done with the Acrobat, finally - though I'll still color the Warrior before putting all of that ingame in one fell swoop!

Incredible as always

Missile already admitted they were also reading that thread.
For future reference.

What I don't understand is that people have a need to defend an engine or not.
Better question: Is that something that needs to be understood?

Some devs defended it, some who use it didn't, some corrected misconceptions, etc.

I use it but think it's OK to put it on blast but ultimately it's the dev who releases a game in a state that's shoddy that should be the main focus, not any journalist who merely echoes what some devs have said about their game and the engine they used. Devs make it work and that takes effort. A lot of effort in some cases. There's definitely some streams being crossed and I don't see an issue in pointing that out.

I first heard from them following the KS and we talked over email for many months before linking up.

Thanks for the info, always curious about how the whole publishing thing works. Sounds like it's more of a 'We'll call you,' situation.

Keep up the great work! Ghost Song always looks great.

Jobbs

Banned
Thanks for the info, always curious about how the whole publishing thing works. Sounds like it's more of a 'We'll call you,' situation.

Keep up the great work! Ghost Song always looks great.

I can't speak for any publishers but it's my strong suspicion that some sort of external validation of a game project matters a lot to them -- That's why they often pay attention to Kickstarter projects that succeed.

Thank you :)

Enjoy a gif of the FPS project i'm messing with alongside working on the racing game :)

I'm not sure exactly where it's going to lead at the moment but i'm focusing on a prototype of the basic mechanics right now

_Rob_

Glad for the influx of new people in the thread, and old faces coming back :)

Here's this week's loot:
*snip*

One more week and I should be done with the Acrobat, finally - though I'll still color the Warrior before putting all of that ingame in one fell swoop!

Jeez! How am I supposed to follow up that quality of animation, very inspiring stuff!

Another weekend, another update to the previz for Annie's cutscene:

giphy.gif

Pehesse

^ I like. Cool stuff! Game must be awe utilizing all this art.

thats ridiculous looking, good job Pehesse :)

Incredible as always

Jeez! How am I supposed to follow up that quality of animation, very inspiring stuff!

Thanks a lot, and right back at you all :) Everyone's making progress lately, it's inspiring to see!

giphy.gif

It really looks like you managed to capture the energetic feeling of most of the great 3D platformers. I'm very much looking forward to it! Got any plans for test builds? If you need a hand... hint, hint!

Hey guys, I've been following this thread off and on for a while now but this is my first time posting here as I just recently remembered I had a neogaf account. I was working at EA for close to a decade but left around year ago and have been working on my own game called The Iron Oath. It's a turn based strategy game where you recruit people, travel the world, go on adventures, etc.

giphy.gif

I mainly just wanted to drop in here and show off some of my work and say hi :D Also, I'm building the game in Unity (so hot right now).

This looks great!

Also, think this is a safe space for Unity indie devs.

LordRaptor

Also, think this is a safe space for Unity indie devs.

Well, at the very least criticisms of its shortcomings are based on experiential data and specific examples of its problems can be contextualised with specific examples of what kind of project the person in question was making when they ran into those problems and whether that might affect you or not.

I'm a fan of Unity, but my boilerplate response to anyone asking "what engine should I use?" will always be "What kind of game are you making / what are your criteria / what are you familiar with?" and in absence of any strong guidelines that arise from that "Try a bunch out and see which you like best to work with" because its pretty unlikely theres an objective 'best' that suits everyone.

kuso is 68-85% content complete, and while it's not much to look at in screencaps or gifs, I'm really proud of how it's coming out.

kuso.gif

It's the sequel to LOVE, and I'm really happy with it so far. There's a very dated demo up on Steam with the first three levels so if you'd like to give it a shot please do so! If it's something you dig, add it to your wishlist.

We're planning on a release price of $4.99 with soundtrack DLC being one or two bucks.

JulianImp

Uhhhh, unfortunate name, unless you were aware of it and had a reason?

Seconding this. You really don't want to have your game be a swear word, and on top of that it'll be impossible to search using search engines ("kuso" won't ever work, and "kuso game" is a Japanese definition for shitty or trashy games)...

Blizzard

Banned
Hopefully, y'all don't mind a cross-post, but since the point & click channel is pretty specialized, I thought I'd share some of my indie adventures here. I put up a gameplay teaser trailer for "Arkhangel: The House of the Seven Stars" this morning. Would love for y'all to check it out if that's your thing:

Gameplay teaser - https://vimeo.com/226576976

Official page - https://winternightgames.com/arkhangel/

Hope you are all having a great weekend!
I highly recommend making a youtube version as well since vimeo may have issues for some browsers, and youtube is of course very popular. :)

whew, that looks really nice

Thank you! It's awesome to be sharing the game with the world. I'm sure I don't have to tell any of you how much hard work goes into making one of these games ;p Check us out on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Cartrdge, etc..). We have more cool content to release soon. And a Kickstarter coming shortly! :)

I've been following your progress, and I'm curious, what 3D software are you using and how much 3D experience do you have?

Astrael

Thanks, guys! Here's a gameplay snippet on youtube. I spent all day unsuccessfully trying to get a gif that I was happy with. So... youtube video for now. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI12-rPBPQo

The animation is super smooth, I love the explosions from defeated enemies too! Motivates me to to take my run animations more seriously :) But yeah this game looks fun, I like the "weight" of the character, reminds me of classic Ninja Gaiden.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
kuso is 68-85% content complete, and while it's not much to look at in screencaps or gifs, I'm really proud of how it's coming out.

kuso.gif

It's the sequel to LOVE, and I'm really happy with it so far. There's a very dated demo up on Steam with the first three levels so if you'd like to give it a shot please do so! If it's something you dig, add it to your wishlist.

We're planning on a release price of $4.99 with soundtrack DLC being one or two bucks.

lol why the name

_Rob_

Thanks a lot, and right back at you all :) Everyone's making progress lately, it's inspiring to see!

Indeed it is, this thread is such a good place to go if you've artists block!

It really looks like you managed to capture the energetic feeling of most of the great 3D platformers. I'm very much looking forward to it! Got any plans for test builds? If you need a hand... hint, hint!

It's great to hear that it's coming across that way! Your feedback would be very handy, I'll drop you a DM in the next few weeks with a build if you like?

I've been following your progress, and I'm curious, what 3D software are you using and how much 3D experience do you have?

Thanks for following it! I use 3DS Max for both modelling and animation. My experience is mainly just CnW, I went from modding GTA and Unreal to this project. It's been 6 years so far, but in that time I've managed to go from this:

giphy.gif

To this:

giphy.gif

Pehesse

Thanks, guys! Here's a gameplay snippet on youtube. I spent all day unsuccessfully trying to get a gif that I was happy with. So... youtube video for now. Enjoy!

Now that's what I'm talking about, seeing it in motion showcases it so much better!
Echoing the feedback on explosions, they look fantastic to me.
My only concern would be the jump animation: it looks great, but may be a bit over-elaborate for something you do constantly, judging from the vid? Though I'm not one to talk on that regard, and I also assume it's a ref to Strider, but just in case...!

It's great to hear that it's coming across that way! Your feedback would be very handy, I'll drop you a DM in the next few weeks with a build if you like?

Oh, that'd be awesome!

DemonNite

I haven't posted anything on our game in a bit. Here's some new-ish footage. It's changed a lot since I last posted something about it here.

Footage from June

That looks quite slick.. good job

Finally! looks fantastic in motion. I'll echo what Pehesse said though about the jump animation but it only a minor thing :)

excellent progress :) its good to see that some things you got right early on carried all the way thru

The animation is super smooth, I love the explosions from defeated enemies too! Motivates me to to take my run animations more seriously :) But yeah this game looks fun, I like the "weight" of the character, reminds me of classic Ninja Gaiden.

Now that's what I'm talking about, seeing it in motion showcases it so much better!
Echoing the feedback on explosions, they look fantastic to me.
My only concern would be the jump animation: it looks great, but may be a bit over-elaborate for something you do constantly, judging from the vid? Though I'm not one to talk on that regard, and I also assume it's a ref to Strider, but just in case...!

Finally! looks fantastic in motion. I'll echo what Pehesse said though about the jump animation but it only a minor thing :)

Thanks for the kind words! It's interesting about the jump animation... a friend of mine asked about it too... I've always thought it's super bad-ass looking. Also, there's actually three jump animations. The one seen in the video, there's a more standard looking jump if the player is standing still, and then there's the double jump animation which has the player tuck into a ball and flip (similar to player jump animation in Contra). Anyhow, this is something I'll continue to get feedback on during play-testing. Although I would be a bit sad to find we have to change the animation due to players feeling it's too elaborate for as often as it's used :(

zq_audio

Neo Member
I highly recommend making a youtube version as well since vimeo may have issues for some browsers, and youtube is of course very popular. :)

Ask you shall receive! :-D

Arkhangel Gameplay Teaser - YouTube version - https://youtu.be/nvhVfEON6Lo

I always put up a version on YouTube but hate their compression scheme. The anal-retentive side of me likes Vimeo better due to quality, but that's a really good point that not all browsers play nicely with V. Thanks for that!

Blizzard

Banned
Ask you shall receive! :-D

Arkhangel Gameplay Teaser - YouTube version - https://youtu.be/OyVXHPswIEY

I always put up a version on YouTube but hate their compression scheme. The anal-retentive side of me likes Vimeo better due to quality, but that's a really good point that not all browsers play nicely with V. Thanks for that!
Thanks, it looks like a lot of work! I'm reminded of Telltale's story games with the shader effect.

Got done fully implementing a system that's been sitting around otherwise unused for the past three months, here's two screenshots, both of a different aspect of it:

6VhqeO6.png
i86ppwQ.png

Whoa, what's that mysterious new status bar cluttering my precious HUD? And why is the HP bar half-green with another bracket on it? And why does that one enemy in that Ultra-WIP environment have golden trimming on his uniform instead of crimson like everyone else?

That brings me to Psychosis Level, and Officers - Psychosis functions similarly to two things from two different games, "Rank" in the 2D Metal Gear games prior to Solid 2, and Chaos in Dishonored. Like with the former, the higher it is, the higher your power - Your HP cap will rise, you will gain Mana regeneration when below a certain rising threshold, and Magic will become more powerful. However, like with the latter, a higher value will lead to certain consequences. Tighter patrols, more serious Backup called in during Alerts, and an influence on how certain story beats play out.

And for the other side of this coin: Officers - There are ten enemy Officers (Corresponding to ten levels of Psychosis) located around Inaro's capital-city of New Heaven - Anyone who's played Metal Gear might remember a certain mechanic involving rescuing Outer Heaven's captives, which would increase Solid Snake's "Rank". Officers are functionally similar - However your mission-objective here isn't "Rescue", it's "Kill or Capture". Killing them will raise your Psychosis by one - Capturing them won't, but doing so has benefits of its own. If an Alert is triggered, these guys won't fight and will instead choose to run for the nearest exit, leaving their lackeys to deal with you instead - They also can't be knocked-out when Alerted, leaving your only option to be killing them instead until the Area is reset. If you want to stay Nonlethal with these ten, your best bet is to sneak up on them and whack them into a coma like Batman with your Stun-Prod or gas them with an anesthetic.

Now, that's not to say that 0 Psychosis is the Good Route and 10 Psychosis is the Evil Route - There's a tad bit more nuance here than a Karma Spectrum, and in fact it may very well be tied to how specific Officers are dealt with rather the number of them you Executed or Arrested.

Now, on another note... One thing on my mind stressing me out is populating the world with props. Where Metal Gear took place in a militarized base and had excuses to be clean and tidy, REDFOXES takes place in Occupied civilian areas, which means a significant amount of the tidyness excuse is... Gone. However, unfortunately my Pixel Art skills are Atari-2600 tier (A bit problematic for a presentation that's supposed to be a mix of MSX2 and PS1) when it comes to objects not made from primitive shapes, and I just don't have the budget right now to be commissioning professional pixel art left and right for anything that fancies me. Is there any advice anyone here can offer on this subject? Are barren environments that only use Props designed to constrict enemy line of sight ala MSX-Gear "acceptable" in 2017?

JulianImp

Its so nice that TextMesh Pro is now free for Unity. Such a good asset.

Thanks for sharing! This asset appears to solve several issues I used to have with text rendering in Unity, so I guess I'll be trying it out for my team's current project in order to give our artists more leeway in what they can do with the game's GUI without requiring too much work from the programming side of things.

Reminds me of kazekiri and drac x, looks dope.

Me and my buddies are working on a Lolo style action puzzler and it's pretty far along. I'll post some stuff in here at some point.

Thanks! I was actually unfamiliar with Kazekiri, but checked it out on Youtube. I can understand the connection. I hope Bushiden looks smoother though! :) Also, there's a significant Castlevania influence in what we are making :) SOTN is way up there in as far as "best games of all time" in our artist's list!

Minamu

Making some good progress on the marble game I think!

Most of today was fine tuning controls, enabling interpolation for camera system (no more jitter) and getting place holder UI stuff in.
Looks like Unreal, do you have any ideas on how to fix the camera clipping through walls?

Its so nice that TextMesh Pro is now free for Unity. Such a good asset.

Thanks for sharing! This asset appears to solve several issues I used to have with text rendering in Unity, so I guess I'll be trying it out for my team's current project in order to give our artists more leeway in what they can do with the game's GUI without requiring too much work from the programming side of things.

Not only is it free, it's an official addon built into Unity 5/2017 so there's no need to download it separately afaik, unless you're on an older Unity version.

_Rob_

I'm really liking it, contrary to the feeling so far I really like the jump. Although to me the run looks a little stiff, I feel like a small amount more up and down bobbing movement would make him feel a little better weighted.

And thanks all for the kind words about CnW's progress! To be honest I was a little worried about posting the comparison as the old stuff is a little embarrassing; but I suppose we all start somewhere!

wwm0nkey

Looks like Unreal, do you have any ideas on how to fix the camera clipping through walls?
Unity with post processing stack helps the visuals a lot :)

Camera clipping the next thing I'm going to work on, I need to do more testing with the interpolated camera fix I found, but so far that's looking really nice (sooooo much less jitter)

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I'm really liking it, contrary to the feeling so far I really like the jump. Although to me the run looks a little stiff, I feel like a small amount more up and down bobbing movement would make him feel a little better weighted.

And thanks all for the kind words about CnW's progress! To be honest I was a little worried about posting the comparison as the old stuff is a little embarrassing; but I suppose we all start somewhere!

Nothing to be embarrassed about mate. I posted some stuff in here 2+ years ago that was simply cringe worthy. No one starts out being a badass. You gotta put the effort in and it'll come with time. As long as you're doing that you're golden. My voxel stuff still looks bad, but I kind of planned it that way so it's alright. Right? RIGHT!?!?!?! ;p

_Rob_

Nothing to be embarrassed about mate. I posted some stuff in here 2+ years ago that was simply cringe worthy. No one starts out being a badass. You gotta put the effort in and it'll come with time. As long as you're doing that you're golden. My voxel stuff still looks bad, but I kind of planned it that way so it's alright. Right? RIGHT!?!?!?! ;p

Oh you're definitely right, I imagine (and sort of hope) that I'll look back on my current work one day and think that it's bad. To some extent I guess the fact you can recognise your old work as inferior means you must be growing in your craft! Having said that I'm a little apprehensive to post anything in a topic full of such talent; well worth pushing through it though!

Your voxel stuff are nice examples of an art style, I wouldn't worry about that!

Jintor

due to the way hitboxes are currently set out, enemies totally wail on each other, which I think is interesting behaviour.

you can see i haven't actually coded in a death event for the player yet so his hp just goes into the negative, which looks pretty hilarious

anyway not too bad a night's work for something i fit in briefly while i was playing splatoon ranked.

DemonNite

Oh you're definitely right, I imagine (and sort of hope) that I'll look back on my current work one day and think that it's bad. To some extent I guess the fact you can recognise your old work as inferior means you must be growing in your craft! Having said that I'm a little apprehensive to post anything in a topic full of such talent; well worth pushing through it though!

Your voxel stuff are nice examples of an art style, I wouldn't worry about that!

we all started somewhere and if we all posted an image from our first game, it should be used as an inspiration to all of us. To show how we have all grown as well as to show to new comers that there is nothing to be ashamed about if you're just getting started. This place is for all devs from all skill levels :)

a game I made for mobile in 2013 wasn't exactly a looker but hey, I'm proud of finishing it lol

screen-shot-2013-12-10-at-02-44-21.png

dno_1966

A friend and I have started working on some ideas and will share as and when but are there any guidelines as to what's acceptable and what's considered excessive promotion/marketing in this thread, thanks?

I've been going through a struggle since my last post a week ago. Through playtesting I discovered a play style that broke most of my multiplayer game mechanics. All the strategy and interesting dynamics became ignorable as this one method easily killed anyone not using it. Worst of all, this was an exploit of the fundamental game mechanics and couldn't be fixed by rebalancing.

So after a full day of fearing my game was trash and it was unfixable (standard indie stress), I worked on fully reimagining the game's concept and fixing this and some other problems. I was able to finish implementing those changes last night and it sure seems a lot better. More fun, more approachable, and almost as much depth. Now I need to redesign the HUD to match and fix all of the other things that broke while prototyping this.

A friend and I have started working on some ideas and will share as and when but are there any guidelines as to what's acceptable and what's considered excessive promotion/marketing in this thread, thanks?

As long as you're not posting with the goal of convincing us to buy your game, it shouldn't be a problem. When your game is just in the idea stage then you really shouldn't worry. Only time I've noticed excessive promotion is when a new poster pops in to say their game is now for sale and never posts again.

Top Bottom