• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Game Development Thread 3: Indie Jones and the Template of Doom

Minamu

Unity with post processing stack helps the visuals a lot :)

Camera clipping the next thing I'm going to work on, I need to do more testing with the interpolated camera fix I found, but so far that's looking really nice (sooooo much less jitter)
Doh, I missed the first few frames the first time :lol Impressive. Hey if you find a good solution for the clipping, hook me up! We only have functioning collision in the Y direction I think (why my fully functioning 1+ year old code taken from a youtube video can't be used is beyond me).

I'm really liking it, contrary to the feeling so far I really like the jump. Although to me the run looks a little stiff, I feel like a small amount more up and down bobbing movement would make him feel a little better weighted.

And thanks all for the kind words about CnW's progress! To be honest I was a little worried about posting the comparison as the old stuff is a little embarrassing; but I suppose we all start somewhere!

Yeah, we like the jump too. A lot of others seem to as well. We will just kind of gauge everyone's reaction to all of the footage we release and go from there. And noted on the run animation ;)

Your game looks super charming, so I don't think you have anything to be embarrassed about. Just keep doing what you are doing! :)

Servbot24

Banned
I'm interested in making a game based on marble tracks and marble tilt puzzles. It would use platforming and puzzle elements on a marble track framework. Inspired by toys like these:

6939025128_3e76325abc.jpg

stockwerke2.jpg

I'm looking for games that have already done similar things so that I don't inadvertently retread too much ground. I wanted to check with the thread if you guys are aware of any others that have been made or are under development, where the main gameplay is guiding a rolling object through a course. Thanks in advance for any input!

So far these are the significant marble games I can find:

Marble Madness
marblemadness.png

Marble Blast
3_822.jpg

Super Monkey Ball
super-monkey-ball-deluxe-20041012035201775.jpg

Kororinpa
kororinpa-marble-mania-20070222092813346.jpg

Metroid Prime morph ball paths

Pinball machines
1ubKKTO.png

zq_audio

Neo Member
Thanks, it looks like a lot of work! I'm reminded of Telltale's story games with the shader effect.

Thanks! Yeah, it was multi-month journey in terms of explorations of texture painting techniques in combination with shaders to land on the visual style that I ended up with. Certainly have been learning a lot!

Astrael

I'm interested in making a game based on marble tracks and marble tilt puzzles. It would use platforming and puzzle elements on a marble track framework. Inspired by toys like these:

I'm looking for games that have already done similar things so that I don't inadvertently retread too much ground. I wanted to check with the thread if you guys are aware of any others that have been made or are under development, where the main gameplay is guiding a rolling object through a course. Thanks in advance for any input!

I believe there's one puzzle in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild that sorta uses this concept with motion control (at least in the Wii U version):

Only instance that came to mind which you hadn't listed here. Man, I used to love Marble Madness haha.

Servbot24

Banned
I believe there's one puzzle in Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild that sorta uses this concept with motion control (at least in the Wii U version):

Only instance that came to mind which you hadn't listed here. Man, I used to love Marble Madness haha.

Ah, good one. I just got to the shrine with them rolling down the slope yesterday ^_^

Minamu

Sigh, game deving is rough :lol For the first time in a month or two, all three of us finally got together again, so we could show our third guy all the hard work we've been putting in while he's been away. Everything has been working pretty much perfectly when we've been working just the two of us. But today, so much stuff just broke inexplicably for no reason (well, the crash logs said otherwise of course) and we couldn't really enjoy the fruits of our labor as it's intended. The most frustrating thing is that the stuff that broke today worked just fine just a couple of days ago as best as we could tell. No one has touched the code responsible. One step forward, and two backwards :)

Thanks for following it! I use 3DS Max for both modelling and animation. My experience is mainly just CnW, I went from modding GTA and Unreal to this project. It's been 6 years so far, but in that time I've managed to go from this:

giphy.gif

To this:

giphy.gif

That's inspiring. Respect to your dedication and commitment.

P.S: Are you using Unity or the Unreal engine - or perhaps something entirely else?

I assume given your background you're leaning towards Unreal?

Ontoue

Marble Madness

Marble Blast

Super Monkey Ball

Kororinpa

Metroid Prime morph ball paths

Pinball machines
]

probably a lesser known one but as a kid I really enjoyed this game on PC where you played as a hamster in a ball rolling around levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr4pRzWMqRg

It had some really fun platformer-like mechanics in some of the levels.

Uh, that feeling when you're a week away from a deadline and suddenly Unity crashes left and right as if it wasn't made for anything else. *vomit*

JulianImp

Uh, that feeling when you're a week away from a deadline and suddenly Unity crashes left and right as if it wasn't made for anything else. *vomit*

Did you happen to upgrade to a newer version or something? Unless you did, I don't think there'd be any reason for your game to suddenly start acting up.

Also, have you looked at any recent changes that could've introduced those bugs? Do you have a repo you can check diffs and revert files in, or are you stuck with whatever's on your hard drive? What do the profiler and debugger say?

If you haven't linked MonoDevelop or Visual Studio to Unity to be able to debug errors in the exact moment they happen or set breakpoints, I'd suggest that you look into that, since way too many times the reason for sudden crashes ends up being an unfortunate refactor (remember that changing property names means you'll lose the values you had set for them on prefabs and on-scene objects) or null references that get passed around by mistake (ie: you get an object reference on Awake, but the object itself didn't get to execute its own Awake method yet because Script Execution Order, so you end up getting a whole lot of null references seemingly out of nowhere).

Did you happen to upgrade to a newer version or something? Unless you did, I don't think there'd be any reason for your game to suddenly start acting up.

Also, have you looked at any recent changes that could've introduced those bugs? Do you have a repo you can check diffs and revert files in, or are you stuck with whatever's on your hard drive? What do the profiler and debugger say?

If you haven't linked MonoDevelop or Visual Studio to Unity to be able to debug errors in the exact moment they happen or set breakpoints, I'd suggest that you look into that, since way too many times the reason for sudden crashes ends up being an unfortunate refactor (remember that changing property names means you'll lose the values you had set for them on prefabs and on-scene objects) or null references that get passed around by mistake (ie: you get an object reference on Awake, but the object itself didn't get to execute its own Awake method yet because Script Execution Order, so you end up getting a whole lot of null references seemingly out of nowhere).

Thanks for the reply!
Think I'm slowly getting to the problem. Didn't update Unity, or anything really, since working on the project.
Project's been fine all day, and now it suddenly crashes Unity on Editor Play, but only when an HTC Vive is connected - it does build fine, though.
Also, tried it on a new project, same thing. Editor Play okay without headset, with headset it crashes.

Earlier today it was all fine, so retracing some steps. Just one of those days.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the reply!
Think I'm slowly getting to the problem. Didn't update Unity, or anything really, since working on the project.
Project's been fine all day, and now it suddenly crashes Unity on Editor Play, but only when an HTC Vive is connected - it does build fine, though.
Also, tried it on a new project, same thing. Editor Play okay without headset, with headset it crashes.

Earlier today it was all fine, so retracing some steps. Just one of those days.
It's definitely one of those things source control is great for. Reproducible crash starts happening? Bam, roll back a few changes in a temporary branch until it stops happening.

Ontoue

Credit to LordRaptor for the hooves idea, I gave it a try and I like it quite a bit more than the shoe-like feet.

EvilHardDuckbillcat-size_restricted.gif

Finished the basic rig and made two movement animations to start with.

AccomplishedFineIcefish-size_restricted.gif

Now time to start getting the basic framework up in Unreal.

_Rob_

Yeah, we like the jump too. A lot of others seem to as well. We will just kind of gauge everyone's reaction to all of the footage we release and go from there. And noted on the run animation ;)

Your game looks super charming, so I don't think you have anything to be embarrassed about. Just keep doing what you are doing! :)

Cool, I look forward to seeing it progress! And thank you for the kind words!

That's inspiring. Respect to your dedication and commitment.

P.S: Are you using Unity or the Unreal engine - or perhaps something entirely else?

I assume given your background you're leaning towards Unreal?

Far to kind; oddly enough I'm actually using Unity, mainly because the Asset Store and tutorials allowed me a solid base to experiment with. Given the recent image problem Unity seems to have, I'm glad you couldn't tell!

Credit to LordRaptor for the hooves idea, I gave it a try and I like it quite a bit more than the shoe-like feet.

EvilHardDuckbillcat-size_restricted.gif

Finished the basic rig and made two movement animations to start with.

AccomplishedFineIcefish-size_restricted.gif

Now time to start getting the basic framework up in Unreal.
Looking like a solid start; one thing I notice with the walk though, his left leg is snapping slightly as it starts to move forward. I don't know whether it's just a dropped frame in the gif or a bit of popping in the animation but I figured it worth noting!

kiguel182

Finally finished and released my game!

I haven't posted here in a while but I asked for a bunch of advice when I was still boxing in the game mechanics.

Since then the game changed quite a bit mostly on art style and back-end stuff. It works pretty much the same since some of you play tested in a year or so ago.

It went from this:

to this:

That's not the same area but well, you get the point. Also, it didn't start as a tile based game which made me lose a ton of time but refactoring it helped a lot.

I'm never making a full game again. What a process. It's my second game but this one had a bigger scope and man, it was a struggle at times. But well, it's done. I made a crappy trailer too but still haven't published it since it doesn't look that good mostly because recording stuff out of my computer didn't go well. Anyway, I'm rambling!

You can play it on itch.io if you want and I want to thank everyone that helped me back then, it was invaluable help. If you are still here you can see how it turned out!

https://fatbread.itch.io/disconcerted

EDIT:

I made a trailer gif because I'm a millennial and videos are so last year:

anteevy

They aren't tilt-based, but if you're researching ball games in general, you might also want to check out Ballance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AOwfQuPuNM), Rollin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0bFDUZc81o), Switchball (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7GDIZluYOU), Nightsky (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6OelLBYhh8) and Exo One (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YApVrVPiWv4).

My last game, Road to Ballhalla, was also a ball-roller (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqzvCgyP-3Q), so if you have any questions on that genre, maybe I can help. :)

wwm0nkey

Man I am remembering how much....not fun making a camera is lol Still attempting the orbiting camera with bumping into walls. Found an free JS for it but I would like to make my own.

embalm

Sigh, game deving is rough :lol For the first time in a month or two, all three of us finally got together again, so we could show our third guy all the hard work we've been putting in while he's been away. Everything has been working pretty much perfectly when we've been working just the two of us. But today, so much stuff just broke inexplicably for no reason (well, the crash logs said otherwise of course) and we couldn't really enjoy the fruits of our labor as it's intended. The most frustrating thing is that the stuff that broke today worked just fine just a couple of days ago as best as we could tell. No one has touched the code responsible. One step forward, and two backwards :)

I just want to say that this isn't a bad thing. Sure the timing is bad, but it's great that you caught all of those bugs. You used your game in an entirely new way and had a good opportunity to document some unknown bugs. Keep your chin up because those are all steps forward.

Servbot24

Banned
They aren't tilt-based, but if you're researching ball games in general, you might also want to check out Ballance (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AOwfQuPuNM), Rollin (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0bFDUZc81o), Switchball (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7GDIZluYOU), Nightsky (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6OelLBYhh8) and Exo One (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YApVrVPiWv4).

My last game, Road to Ballhalla, was also a ball-roller (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqzvCgyP-3Q), so if you have any questions on that genre, maybe I can help. :)

Awesome, thanks! Your game looks really fun btw :)

LordRaptor

I've had this happen with a corrupted asset meta file, and "hard" reimporting all assets fixed it (the "are you sure you want to do this its gonna take forever" prompt one)

Credit to LordRaptor for the hooves idea

literally no credit necessary, but I like that look more too

Tain

I'm getting ready to release the Horizon Vanguard Location Test demo (coming next month, a bit later than I hoped lol), and I'm wondering if anybody would be willing to give it a shot before public release via Steam and give me some feedback on it. Oculus or Vive. I don't have the biggest pool of keys at the moment but let me know if you have the hardware and wanna try it out.

Magypsy

I've had this happen with a corrupted asset meta file, and "hard" reimporting all assets fixed it (the "are you sure you want to do this its gonna take forever" prompt one)

Or try deleting the Library and Temp folders from your project

Will trigger a reimport, and that can take a long while, especially if Unity has to crunch textures

Or try deleting the Library and Temp folders from your project

Will trigger a reimport, and that can take a long while, especially if Unity has to crunch textures

Was spending most of the night looking at the progress bar to see if a reimport will fix it, and it did!
Very happy nothing more serious was going on.

Blizzard

Banned
Don't forget Ludum Dare theme voting is ongoing right now. https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/39/theme

Even if you don't make something, it's sort of fun to vote on a theme (though also sort of frustrating seeing the same theme that happened 2-3 jams ago, or the same finalists for the 47th time).

I wish once a year the person running it would just be a dictator and pick an abstract theme that makes people rage and forces them to be creative.

LordRaptor

I wish once a year the person running it would just be a dictator and pick an abstract theme that makes people rage and forces them to be creative.

I wish theyd delayed transitioning until LDJam.com was at least feature matched to the old webpage - I really have a horrible feeling votings going to be broken again.
I agree on stagnant themes though. Maybe anything that hit the final selection last round (and things that are just rephrased versions of the same theme) should be auto-excluded in the following jam, with winning themes excluded for a year or something

Blizzard

Banned
Actually I guess there have been 5 jams between "Two button controls" (which produced a lot of obnoxious games) and "Two buttons" showing up now. 2 years, wow time has flown.

I still voted up "Two buttons" just to watch the world burn and make the problem apparent. :p

LordRaptor

I still voted up "Two buttons" just to watch the world burn and make the problem apparent. :p

If 2 buttons wins I'm going to do what I didn't do when 2 buttons won last time and I kicked myself when I played someone elses entry, which is make a pinball game (never done one, quite like them)

Any thoughts?

I'm not a big JRPG fan, so can't really speak as to what a JRPG fan would want from your game, but it continues to be charmingly in the mold of JRPGs I did play back in the 16 bit / early 32 bit days, right down to fourth wall breaking character aside gags

Minamu

Man I am remembering how much....not fun making a camera is lol Still attempting the orbiting camera with bumping into walls. Found an free JS for it but I would like to make my own.
I found a good tutorial on youtube last year. It has both smoothing, orbiting movement and wall bumping in all directions including understanding of ceilings and when objects partially block the view with correct adaptations dynamically. In Unity and C# with the complete source code available for free. The guys also explains the maths visually and does a step by step guide over like 40 minutes tops. I don't know the name of it but it was like the first hit on "Unity 5 camera collision system" or something like that. I have no idea why this isn't exactly what my team needs :lol He used a robotic floating torso character to show it off if that helps you. 2-part video I believe.

I just want to say that this isn't a bad thing. Sure the timing is bad, but it's great that you caught all of those bugs. You used your game in an entirely new way and had a good opportunity to document some unknown bugs. Keep your chin up because those are all steps forward.
Yeah, no, this is good advice :) We'll fix it eventually, it just caught us by surprise and kinda ruined the day's testing. No biggie, it's good like you say.

wwm0nkey

I found a good tutorial on youtube last year. It has both smoothing, orbiting movement and wall bumping in all directions including understanding of ceilings and when objects partially block the view with correct adaptations dynamically. In Unity and C# with the complete source code available for free. The guys also explains the maths visually and does a step by step guide over like 40 minutes tops. I don't know the name of it but it was like the first hit on "Unity 5 camera collision system" or something like that. I have no idea why this isn't exactly what my team needs :lol He used a robotic floating torso character to show it off if that helps you. 2-part video I believe.

Got a link? Would love a watch just so I can understand a bit more

neko.works

This looks fantastic! I love it! :)

Thanks!

I'm not a big JRPG fan, so can't really speak as to what a JRPG fan would want from your game, but it continues to be charmingly in the mold of JRPGs I did play back in the 16 bit / early 32 bit days, right down to fourth wall breaking character aside gags

Well, the whole point of this project is to make a retro style JRPG experience with modern tech. So I'm happy that it reminds you of 16-32 bits JRPGs!

Banjo

Hey guys!

I've been working on a game for mobile for some months now, so maybe I can show my work in here :D
Here is a small gif of it

All the programming is nearly done (I miss thinks like Analytics and the video ads) so currently I'm working on filling the levels.

Thanks guys!

wwm0nkey

Finally fixed the camera and have a much better system in. Took a bit to get it going with FixedUpdate without having my marble jumping all over the place.

Think I will add a few power ups, fine tune gravity settings and I think I am ready to head into full production soon. Friends are not really helping so I think I am just going to do this with me and my fiancee

Minamu

Finally fixed the camera and have a much better system in. Took a bit to get it going with FixedUpdate without having my marble jumping all over the place.

Think I will add a few power ups, fine tune gravity settings and I think I am ready to head into full production soon. Friends are not really helping so I think I am just going to do this with me and my fiancee
Did my link help you? :)

Pere

Neo Member
I haven't posted anything on our game in a bit. Here's some new-ish footage. It's changed a lot since I last posted something about it here.

Footage from June

Sweet moves! I can't help but ask you if have you used any tutorial to end up with those results? Or did you program it yourself?

I ask because I'm trying to program a similiar-ish movement for our next project and any information I can have is welcome. I've been looking around and I'd like to try programing a system like the one used in Dying light, but that's a lot of work.
So I'd like to know all the information possible before commiting to any choice.

"A first-person shooter that plays like an arena fighting game."

What are your impressions after reading that to describe a game?

I'm not ready for my big re-reveal but at the very least I need to remove all the outdated info from my website and replace it with a short blurb of text to tease what's coming.

Blizzard

Banned
"A first-person shooter that plays like an arena fighting game."

What are your impressions after reading that to describe a game?
Immediate reaction: Overwatch (but I saw timetokill's post). Or "yet another developer trying to take advantage of the crowded MOBA/FPS-ish genre like those other games that weren't very popular whose names I've already possibly forgotten".

I'm not trying to discourage you, but that's my honest reaction. :p Standing out from the crowd may be tough.

Instant reaction: Overwatch

Immediate reaction: Overwatch (but I saw timetokill's post). Or "yet another developer trying to take advantage of the crowded MOBA/FPS-ish genre like those other games that weren't very popular whose names I've already possibly forgotten".

I'm not trying to discourage you, but that's my honest reaction. :p Standing out from the crowd may be tough.

Awesome reactions. My game is not like Overwatch so it's good to know that description gives the wrong imagery.

It's closer to a true FPS (no heroes or character selection) and closer to a true fighting game (small player counts, combos) than anything MOBA like.

Blizzard

Banned
Awesome reactions. My game is not like Overwatch so it's good to know that description gives the wrong imagery.

It's closer to a true FPS (no heroes or character selection) and closer to a true fighting game (small player counts, combos) than anything MOBA like.
I think "arena fighting" and especially "arena" is bad since that's the A in MOBA.

I didn't think about the Street Fighter sort of "fighting game" mechanics.

Are you doing both shooting and melee combos? Or only combos from range? You might be able to ditch the FPS term and use "first-person" if shooting isn't heavily involved.

Top Bottom