• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Man Bulbpedia has some really stupid shit, like for instance Pokemon gender. They have crap like "Charizard could be a lesbian" or "Hawlucha can't be male because subs don't count" despite them using actual pronouns.

What?

When ot comes to Pokémon I only stick with PokeGaf or Serebii.. I'm kind of glad I don't branch out beyond that.

-Horizon-

Man Bulbpedia has some really stupid shit, like for instance Pokemon gender. They have crap like "Charizard could be a lesbian" or "Hawlucha can't be male because subs don't count" despite them using actual pronouns.

Eh, it doesn't seem like its part of a main article page or anything.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
and there's stuff like Japanese names of move being different... except for the fact that it is literally the same thing as the English only they used a synonym.

it's the talk section of a wiki tho

and it shows how awful you can't edit stuff from it

Boss Doggie

yeah, but why would you go to the talk section page anyway

its like random thoughts and junk

if it was on the main page, sure then there's some credibility issues

you ended up wondering why you can't edit those stuff, so you end up looking at the talk page

Well Serebii, good lu-

Wait what the hell is going on in them talk sections? The hell? Spouting out complete bullshit sounds like fun, though, so I'll give it a shot:

From a gameplay perspective, there are no genderless Pokemon. Their gender is just hidden to the player (The "Female Magnezone" happened because a glitched caused Bank to not hide this). This also explains why some of these mons can still breed via Ditto; Ditto have the ability to automatically become the opposite gender of a given species, and thus it would still do so even when the player does not know a Pokemon's sex.

As such, this means male and female Pokemon have sex with each other to create eggs. Because they have sex with each other, this makes it completely natural and okay to watch. Therefore, if you do not look at lots of Pokesmut, you are not a true fan.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The Charizard thing is an attempt to be progressive and everything, but they're forgetting the fact that Pokemon is written and produced for children, and that means typically, such ideas like gender and sex will be extremely basic and not stray too far from the traditional norms.

I don't really wanna bash it because I think their heart is in the right place, but they're just not being realistic when it comes to the general structure of gender roles in mass media. Pokemon isn't a thinker's show---giving Charla a ribbon and having Charizard be attracted to her was obviously the writers wishing to establish his gender through the most obvious way possible. And then in Best Wishes they spent an entire episode doing that for Ash's Unova Team.

the first half of best wishes was basically establishing the gender of everyone's pokemon through メロメロ

so terrible

JoeM86

In a non-ridiculous discussion

I just found Munchlax. Despite every Japanese site, and random people telling me Munchlax was in Stone Field, I just found it in Training Cave

Muku

Does anyone here still collect the TCG? Got to my stuff in storage that's been there 10 years +, and got back to my old cards and all. I'm going to have stuff to trade, right now though taking note of my collection and soon extras. More curious than anything. I started when second print run of the Base set started. Stopped somewhere shortly after ereader versions came out. Haven't collected a US set since but started up a year or two ago in Japan, so I have some newer sets.. just not in English.

Anyway, just curious if anyone still collects/trades the cards. Going to be on look out where I can for folks who might want to trade. Used to wheel and deal in the cards all the time.

Firestorm

This is my single favourite Bulbapedia page: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/WinkShipping

People are amazing.

Does anyone here still collect the TCG? Got to my stuff in storage that's been there 10 years +, and got back to my old cards and all. I'm going to have stuff to trade, right now though taking note of my collection and soon extras. More curious than anything. I started when second print run of the Base set started. Stopped somewhere shortly after ereader versions came out. Haven't collected a US set since but started up a year or two ago in Japan, so I have some newer sets.. just not in English.

Anyway, just curious if anyone still collects/trades the cards. Going to be on look out where I can for folks who might want to trade. Used to wheel and deal in the cards all the time.
E-Reader versions of cards that were reprinted recently are $$$

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p148742.html

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p209880.html

I sorta fell out of the TCG again recently but still try to be involved enough and will probably borrow a deck to compete during City Championships season.

-Horizon-

This is my single favourite Bulbapedia page: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/WinkShipping

People are amazing.

I sorta fell out of the TCG again recently but still try to be involved enough and will probably borrow a deck to compete during City Championships season.
The article you are attempting to reach contains theories of a romantic relationship between Ash and Gliscor. If you are offended by such material, please turn away now.
T8rTkqn.gif

JoeM86

21 to go!

Surskit, Masquerain, Ariados, Snorlax, Pawniard, Escavalier, Scrafty, Shiftry, Bagon, Numel, Doublade, Simisear, Paras, Muk, Carnivine, Larvesta, Chansey, Reuniclus, Elgyem, Azelf, Groudon, Kyogre

Tried the Kyogre dungeon, got destroyed in the first room...twice. Yeesh

Watch Da Birdie

Bulbagarden used to have this girl on it that was obsessed with Ash...I mean, she wasn't too bad, just seemed like an awkward college-age nerd girl who just loved Pokemon a bit too much...

But the most infuriating part about her was that she was homophobic, but in an unbelievably mixed up way. She shipped Ash x Pikachu, BUT she was completely against the idea that Pikachu was a dude because it'd ruin the ship. Never mind the fact that it's a Pokemon, Ash and Pikachu being gay was pushing it too far.

But she wasn't as bad as...*gulp*...Queen Cynthia

Guys, Donald Trump's lead has already made me lose most of my faith in humanity. Is it really necessary to get rid of what little there is left? :(

Chase17

Guys, Donald Trump's lead has already made me lose most of my faith in humanity. Is it really necessary to get rid of what little there is left? :(

He is on Colbert tonight. He will say something crazy or offensive and then his numbers when inexplicably rise. Can't wait.

I forgot how funny I find Psyduck in the anime. I demand in the next game that Pokémon of a certain nature (not sure which) will randomly switch in even if you didn't select them (this is a terrible idea but could be funny).

Watch Da Birdie

Dark-type Pokemon with a unique Ability that once per battle, if it'd die from an attack (excluding an OHKO), it'll randomly switch with a Pokemon that'll take the attack instead.

Had an idea for that once...think it'd be a cool gimmick for some coward Pokemon.

Chase17

Dark-type Pokemon with a unique Ability that once per battle, if it'd die from an attack (excluding an OHKO), it'll randomly switch with a Pokemon that'll take the attack instead.

Had an idea for that once...think it'd be a cool gimmick for some coward Pokemon.

I like that idea. It's kind of like having a better version of eject button as an ability. Would definitely work for a cowardly Pokémon.

Or Scrafty. He's slow and powerful. That kind of ability would make him extremely useful.

Checked the PGL stats. A little over a third of Thundurus-I have Defiant. Alright, so I have to guess the mon's ability correctly to avoid getting screwed from the get-go. How fun and accurate to the VGC.

Though to be serious yes, Scrafty's legit. And the new ability wouldn't be that great since part of the reason you use the guy is for Intimidate.

Intimidate / Fake Out / decent bulk and power already makes Scrafty a pretty useful Pokemon.

Yes, pretty useful but not extremely useful. ;)

Honestly he has the right look, stats, and type for an abilities like that. His Mega form should be him wear that extra skin (?) He has as a hoodie like in the Anime looking like a cat buggler.

Anyway, he's the first Poke that came to mind.

Yes, pretty useful but not extremely useful. ;)
The proposed ability is a lot worse than Intimidate though.You can generally do what that ability does manually and you lose the option to just sack the mon at will, which is a very important option to have. Occasionally it would ease up prediction a bit but that's about it.

Whereas Intimidate is like, if your VGC team doesn't have Intimidate then that's very worrying. It's just that good right now.

Chase17

The proposed ability is a lot worse than Intimidate though.You can generally do what that ability does manually and you lose the option to just sack the mon at will, which is a very important option to have. Occasionally it would ease up prediction a bit but that's about it.

Whereas Intimidate is like, if your VGC team doesn't have Intimidate then that's very worrying. It's just that good right now.

I'm still waiting on that special attack version of intimidate. Balance things out a little (it would still be used on most every team).

Intimidate is also a very common ability. Useful yes but not always. As for it being alot worse is debatable.
Lets see

Fairy
Fighting
Flying

These are Scrafty weaknesses. Scrafty would be one of four Pokémon you would take into battle and four of your six total. It's not one of those omg abilities but one that can distract your opponent from their game plan and make them over think...

(Everything from Scrafty's weakness til now is just me trying to figure out how I would use that ability against other players)

I see your point. Something as simple as an ability change can make the most random Pokémon so viable in competitive play. For me Scrafty has the stats but not the ability.

Boss Doggie

what happened to ArchedThunder

also Bulbapedia is the premiere site for Pokeshipping it seems. Their (dead) forums only had that ship as a subboard.

I mean there's favoring one pairing, but there's taking it to the next level that you're making strips of Ash going OOC to dump Serena or doing JealousyFics. It's as bad as people being unable to get over Matt going for Sora.

Firestorm

Intimidate is also a very common ability. Useful yes but not always. As for it being alot worse is debatable.
Lets see

Fairy
Fighting
Flying

These are Scrafty weaknesses. Scrafty would be one of four Pokémon you would take into battle and four of your six total. It's not one of those omg abilities but one that can distract your opponent from their game plan and make them over think...

(Everything from Scrafty's weakness til now is just me trying to figure out how I would use that ability against other players)

I see your point. Something as simple as an ability change can make the most random Pokémon so viable in competitive play. For me Scrafty has the stats but not the ability.
Except the ability is one of the biggest points in its favour... Scrafty is actually a well-designed Pokemon for competitive play right now. More Pokemon should be at its level. Landorus-Therian is an example of a badly designed Pokemon for competitive play. Scrafty has trade-offs, yes, but is a solid pick with well-defined reasons why it should or shouldn't be on a team.

Muku

People are amazing.

They reprinted some cards from ereader versions of cards I take it without the ereader strip? Saw the links. First one is nice. I never was huge into ereader, despite having an ereader.

While you do that, here's what I would do once I saw that a Scrafty didn't have Intimidate and therefore my opponent probably had this ability:

I would figure out what my opponent has in the back and play around the ability. By that I mean I would get Scrafty down to low HP and then do massive damage to the inevitable switch-in, ideally getting an OHKO but at least setting up a nice 2HKO. Normally when Scrafty's down to low HP you eventually sack it so you can get something in at full health (assuming you don't need more Intimidates), but with that ability you can't do that. And since I know you can't do that I can manipulate it to my advantage.

Also, there were 3 Scrafty in the Top 16 at Worlds. I recommend trying it out more because it's definitely a good Pokemon.

EDIT: You can't get the OHKO, I forgot. But in that case I would KO Scrafty since the switch-in wouldn't trigger, assuming you had 3 mons left.

Edit: Bleh

If I keep over thinking this Scrafty ability thing and responding I'll never get to bed.

Firestorm, I was hoping to edit that before someone read so I wouldn't have been tempted to stay up later. What's another 20 minutes.

Firestorm

Why are you switching Scrafty in on Fairy attacks? Here's how my friend used Scrafty to take 2nd at the US National Championships over 400+ other people. He ripped the set off the 3 time World Champion and it uses the item 40% (#1 used item) of players use.

The second most used item is Lum Berry at 30%. Eject Button is third at 15% to try and re-use Intimidate / Fake Out more often but I'm honestly not a fan of that. Tried it with Hitmontop before Scrafty got Intimidate and I dislike it for similar reasons to why I think a switch out ability would be crappy. You don't always want to and not having the choice is frustrating. Sometimes you need to sack a Pokemon in the case of the ability or sometimes with Eject Button you want to be able to hit back with an attack and you can't because you're swapped out for nothing.

I think I said it before, but I don't think buffing balanced Pokemon is the play. I think nerfing ridiculous Pokemon with no downsides in their niche (Landorus-T, Thundurus, Aegislash, Heatran) or alternatives is what I'd see. More Pokemon should be like Scrafty, not less.

They reprinted some cards from ereader versions of cards I take it without the ereader strip? Saw the links. First one is nice. I never was huge into ereader, despite having an ereader.
Yeah. Trainer cards often get reprinted in future sets. VS Seeker for example was reprinted recently. Switch is always in rotation. You're allowed to use older versions of cards if they share the same name and text so players like to bling out their decks with old artwork -- especially ereader cards as they're the rarest (it was around the time TCG was being passed from Wizards to Pokemon).

Why are you switching Scrafty in on Fairy attacks? Here's how my friend used Scrafty to take 2nd at the US National Championships over 400+ other people. He ripped the set off the 3 time World Champion and it uses the item 40% (#1 used item) of players use.

The second most used item is Lum Berry at 30%. Eject Button is third at 15% to try and re-use Intimidate / Fake Out more often but I'm honestly not a fan of that. Tried it with Hitmontop before Scrafty got Intimidate and I dislike it for similar reasons to why I think a switch out ability would be crappy. You don't always want to and not having the choice is frustrating. Sometimes you need to sack a Pokemon in the case of the ability or sometimes with Eject Button you want to be able to hit back with an attack and you can't because you're swapped out for nothing.

I think I said it before, but I don't think buffing balanced Pokemon is the play. I think nerfing ridiculous Pokemon with no downsides in their niche (Landorus-T, Thundurus, Aegislash, Heatran) or alternatives is what I'd see. More Pokemon should be like Scrafty, not less.

Yeah. Trainer cards often get reprinted in future sets. VS Seeker for example was reprinted recently. Switch is always in rotation. You're allowed to use older versions of cards if they share the same name and text so players like to bling out their decks with old artwork -- especially ereader cards as they're the rarest (it was around the time TCG was being passed from Wizards to Pokemon).

Wow.. I read the first couple of paragraphs and his Pokémon bio's. Out of the 700+ Pokémon so few of them seem to be used at these tournaments.
I don't follow streamers or even watch these national tournaments like most do and after reading this I'm glad I don't. Instead of creating a team he would like to use and win with, he created a team to counter all the same Pokémon everyone else was going to use at this tournament. Smart guy.

These tournaments that predictable? Doesn't matter.

Firestorm, you've proven your point concerning Scrafty. Thanks for linking that article. I'll read in full when I wake up.

Firestorm

Yes. Welcome to competitive gaming. Whether it's a video game, a card game, a board game, a sport, or whatever else, a metagame exists. Some strategies are stronger than others. Counter strategies develop. I'm not sure what your posts were about if you were in the mindset that everything is amazing if you love it enough.

Nightbird

Top Bottom