• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Yes. Welcome to competitive gaming. Whether it's a video game, a card game, a board game, a sport, or whatever else, a metagame exists. Some strategies are stronger than others. Counter strategies develop. [b]I'm not sure what your posts were about if you were in the mindset that everything is amazing if you love it enough.

Hhmm? I knew the meta always existed. I just don't like following the masses. For example,
I don't mind people who play by Smogon rules but hate it when they try to get me to play by them. I always believed, hey use whatever you want including if it's 6 legendaries >.>
Now the nationals and official Pokémon tournaments. I can create a team that can compete on nationals and yes it would be based on the most common Pokémon used in nationals.(I'm not saying I would win the thing but I would be competitive at the very least)But I wouldn't have fun doing it, I don't like using legendaries, and it's boring being like everyone else. Just look at what you linked, he basically took someone else's idea, added something small of his own, ran with it, and won.

I don't know If I answered the bolded part.

JoeM86

Just Groudon, Kyogre and Arceus to go, the three hardest dungeons in the game, too.

Finish line, I see you!

[/b]

Hhmm? I knew the meta always existed. I just don't like following the masses. For example,
I don't mind people who play by Smogon rules but hate it when they try to get me to play by them. I always believed, hey use whatever you want including if it's 6 legendaries >.>
Now the nationals and official Pokémon tournaments. I can create a team that can compete on nationals and yes it would be based on the most common Pokémon used in nationals.(I'm not saying I would win the thing but I would be competitive at the very least)But I wouldn't have fun doing it, I don't like using legendaries, and it's boring being like everyone else. Just look at what you linked, he basically took someone else's idea, added something small of his own, ran with it, and won.

I don't know If I answered the bolded part.

That's how I play. I create fun and unusual strategies, usually based on a cool move or feature (I even have a video series I'm doing off and on about them). Will I win every time? No, of course not, nobody does. However, what I find most fun is coming up with unconventional ideas and getting them to work to decent success in these formats, like my Nationals team.

Sure, if you want to win, you will probably need to deal with these standards and use some of them, but meh. Why do that if you don't find it fun? If you do find it fun, then huzzah.

Besides, unusual things DO work in the metagame. Don't let Firestorm make you believe otherwise. Look at the Senior World Champion's strategies. They were awesome and completely unconventional. Sometimes, today's gimmicks become tomorrow's standards.

Chase17

I like having unconventional teams as well but I'm glad that there are some limitations. If mega rayquaza was allowed on battlespot that would be hard to work around.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I like having unconventional teams as well but I'm glad that there are some limitations. If mega rayquaza was allowed on battlespot that would be hard to work around.

Unless you have two Arceus of course. And I think even just a Fairyceus would do.

Arceus bless Arceus.

Just started playing my first pokemon game ever. I really love this game (Leaf Green) and can totally understand how people get addicted to this series.

Looks like I will be hanging around this thread. :)

JoeM86

Welp, 719/720 done...

01254.png

;; nope

Is that in Kanto or with new Pokemon? It might be awhile as I am a slow player (My pokedex only has 11 entries so far) but I absolutely love the game. It is a perfect handheld experience. :D
HeartGold/SoulSilver take place in Johto, which is... nearby to Kanto :) And yes, it has new Pokemon, though a lot of the old ones :)

Chase17

Is that in Kanto or with new Pokemon? It might be awhile as I am a slow player (My pokedex only has 11 entries so far) but I absolutely love the game. It is a perfect handheld experience. :D
It's in Johto and is a mix of the Kanto pokemon and many new ones. I would highly recommend it for when you get through Leaf Green.

Edit: beaten like a bug catcher

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Personally though I'd slowly ingest them. After LG and HG/SS go to Platinum. Then move onwards each gen.

Seil

Where Fire Red and Leaf Green are remakes of the first games, Heart Gold and Soul Silver are remakes of the 2nd generation. They take place in Johto, which is next to Kanto and have Kanto available in the postgame. The Generation 2 games are the only ones to have included two regions.

Normally I would suggest people start with the newest generation of games due to improvements to mechanics etc, but since you've started with Leaf Green and enjoy it, you're in a good position to play whatever. Welcome to the community.

Muku

Why are you switching Scrafty in on Fairy attacks? Here's how my friend used Scrafty to take 2nd at the US National Championships over 400+ other people. He ripped the set off the 3 time World Champion and it uses the item 40% (#1 used item) of players use.

The second most used item is Lum Berry at 30%. Eject Button is third at 15% to try and re-use Intimidate / Fake Out more often but I'm honestly not a fan of that. Tried it with Hitmontop before Scrafty got Intimidate and I dislike it for similar reasons to why I think a switch out ability would be crappy. You don't always want to and not having the choice is frustrating. Sometimes you need to sack a Pokemon in the case of the ability or sometimes with Eject Button you want to be able to hit back with an attack and you can't because you're swapped out for nothing.

I think I said it before, but I don't think buffing balanced Pokemon is the play. I think nerfing ridiculous Pokemon with no downsides in their niche (Landorus-T, Thundurus, Aegislash, Heatran) or alternatives is what I'd see. More Pokemon should be like Scrafty, not less.

Yeah. Trainer cards often get reprinted in future sets. VS Seeker for example was reprinted recently. Switch is always in rotation. You're allowed to use older versions of cards if they share the same name and text so players like to bling out their decks with old artwork -- especially ereader cards as they're the rarest (it was around the time TCG was being passed from Wizards to Pokemon).

Ah yeah, I know some trainers are. However, I wasn't aware they still allowedd the play of old ones if the idea of it remains the same as well as the text. Thank you. Haven't done any official TCG play in ages. (Funny enough found my old card for it though with unpacking.)

The bloody Connection Orb ticker lets you know of travelling Pokémon -_-
..........Wow. Just... :X

EDIT: But I'm really happy you found that out and even made a page about it. Hopefully nobody else will have to suffer the way you did. It was an honorable sacrifice.

JoeM86

..........Wow. Just... :X

EDIT: But I'm really happy you found that out and even made a page about it. Hopefully nobody else will have to suffer the way you did. It was an honorable sacrifice.

I think I didn't notice it because I had missions on the go, and so it didn't come up.

First part of the main story done.
That explains why your partner is a trouble maker, he's mew after all.

The game is hard. Enemy AI is really smart, making all the buff/debufff before they approach you, not to mention those full-room range moves. Story is auto-progress, which means no grind before next chapter. Good thing is those story NPCs are pretty strong. Story dungeon without NPCs? Better packed your bag with Oran berries before entering the dungeon, since most enemies can two-shot you if you don't increase your max HP.

Great music, good plot, item's OP, can't say I like the lapis system, but I don't hate it.

JoeM86

First part of the main story done.
That explains why your partner is a trouble maker, he's mew after all.

The game is hard. Enemy AI is really smart, making all the buff/debufff before they approach you, not to mention those full-room range moves. Story is auto-progress, which means no grind before next chapter. Good thing is those story NPCs are pretty strong. Story dungeon without NPCs? Better packed your bag with Oran berries before entering the dungeon, since most enemies can two-shot you if you don't increase your max HP.

Great music, good plot, item's OP, can't say I like the lapis system, but I don't hate it.

Reviver Seeds are so necessary. I don't go in a long dungeon without 20 anymore

Even then, it's not always enough

Reviver Seeds are so necessary. I don't go in a long dungeon without 20 anymore

Even then, it's not always enough

Thought it's obvious so I didn't mention. :p

Well story dungeons are short, most of them are like 10 floors, I brought revive seed for boss fight, 5 should be enough for story dungeons. It's not too hard to reach final floor when you and your partner are over 100 HP and have guild branches in bag.
The final boss fight is surprisingly easy.

Hardest Pokemon-related game I've ever played, yeah. Like... Christ.

What's with the eevee hate? Serena is a new trainer so you expect her to catch and have a advance eevee?

Swift is a good move in the anime
Protect is a great move in the anime
And eevee has room to grow instead Of being an establish Pokémon.

I personally like eevee and haven't used one yet because GameFreak hasn't design a final evolution that I like.

Chase17

What's with the eevee hate? Serena is a new trainer so you expect her to catch and have a advance eevee?

Swift is a good move in the anime
Protect is a great move in the anime
And eevee has room to grow instead Of being an establish Pokémon.

I personally like eevee and haven't used one yet because GameFreak hasn't design a final evolution that I like.

You don't like any of its evolutions?

I'm thinking maybe some of the hate is from it being popular (it's the starter in Conquest, two of its evolutions are the starters in Colosseum, and it's prevalent in every gen since they add new evolutions to it). Personally I like eevee and am an even bigger fan of most of its evolutions.

You don't like any of its evolutions?

I'm thinking maybe some of the hate is from it being popular (it's the starter in Conquest, two of its evolutions are the starters in Colosseum, and it's continuity prevalent in every gen since they add new evolutions to it). Personally I like eevee and am an even bigger fan of most of its evolutions.

Theyre ok. To be honest, from the time I posted the post that you quoted and the time I read your response post I think the eevee forms grew on me because of how much I was thinking about them.

I woundnt mind playing a game with eevee or one of its evolutions as my starter.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Swift and Protect? Ugh, dull...

I hate Eevee.

But it's soooooo cute. <(>_<)>

Seriously is my second favourite Pokémon and I have pretty much used all the eeveelutions, barring Flareon and Glaceon.

well it has to learn charm/baby-doll eyes to evolve so variety!

still better than randomly knowing shadow ball

May's Eevee was hatched from an egg so chances are that its parents might have known the move and passed it down.

Swift is pretty good in the anime (which is why I never get the praise Origin has with Mewtwo's swift, but then again I never understood Origin praise). Protect too.

Agreed, people over hype origin due to Red winning the league, defeating Mewtwo and completing the Kanto Pokédex.

Honestly Red isn't any better than Ash but they just ignore that to have another dig at Ash and the animé that they probably don't even watch anymore.

Fair enough.

Personally I like Espeon and Leafeon.

Sylveon is my least favourite because when you compare it to the rest of the eeveelutions it just sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't feel like an eeveelutions.

Not sure why Game Freak did that.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I hate Eevee because it's popular and I wanna see a Pokemon that hasn't been owned by one of the main characters + a host of other characters as well.

I'd like to see one of the classic Kanto Eeveelutions actually end up as Serena's because we don't really see them as much as the later "cuter" ones among the cast, but I'm guessing it'll be Sylveon.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I like Glaceon and Leafeon, but I hate how they always lock them out of the main storyline until way later

Yeah, that's why I haven't used Glaceon yet because the Icy Rock location is far too late and by the time I get there the whole of my team are fully evolved and with their move set being finalised for the Elite 4.

Leafeon just got lucky that the Moss Rock is super early in gen 4, hence how I was able to use it on my team.

Even in Conquest if I remember right.

Conquest was pretty bad in that department, they really really wanted you to evolve your Eevee into either Flareon, Jolteon or Vaporeon. As evolving into anything else was late in the game.

Had I not took the time to grind I would not had an Espeon during the last few chapters, luckily Eevee was pretty strong on its own.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'd like to see Vaporeon on the main cast, personally...

Also, does Eevee have a crush on Bunnelby? Both this episode and next have her hiding behind him---maybe the Normal-type bond?

Can't believe after six Generations the generic rodent is on the main cast and a relatively major player.

Chase17

Pokémon Colosseum was a cool game, my only complaints is that the game is short, feels like that the story started in the middle and that a lot of the contents is post game.

While I would agree with you, I thought that the opening was really cool.

Top Bottom