• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Space Harrier coming to 3DS

this looks absolutely fantastic. will buy boxing day one.

if they do the same for outrun i'll buy another 3DS just so i can buy that twice.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I applaud all the the effort here, but personally I find it hard to think of a worse-aging game genre than sprite-based scaling 3D shooting games. Even well before the proliferation of actual polygonal 3D, they always felt janky and imprecise to me, a half-step to actual 3D that just never felt like it was pulled off right. I understand why it's the first thing being jumped at for a 3D conversion, but I'd much rather see sidescrolling 2D games get the treatment with the 3D effect used to separate parallax layers. That may lack the obvious novelty factor of 'into-the-screen' 3D, but those types of games have just generally aged much better and a 3D effect on layers actually looks pretty damn spiffy, even though it's not particularly aiding the gameplay in any capacity.

ninjatrigg

Neo Member
I applaud all the the effort here, but personally I find it hard to think of a worse-aging game genre than sprite-based scaling 3D shooting games. Even well before the proliferation of actual polygonal 3D, they always felt janky and imprecise to me. I understand why it's the first thing being jumped at for a 3D conversion, but I'd much rather see sidescrolling 2D games get the treatment with the 3D effect used to separate parallax layers. That may lack the obvious novelty factor of 'into-the-screen' 3D, but those types of games have just generally aged much better and a 3D effect on parallax layers actually looks pretty damn spiffy, even though it's not particularly aiding the gameplay in any capacity.

I don't care... this game was fun as shit, and I want to play it more than ever.

Release date set for 12/26, 600 yen.

Includes a "moving cabinet" mode that replicates being inside an arcade cabinet and makes the screen adjust to the player's movement (screens demonstrating this below). Also features environmental sound settings that were used in Space Harrier's cabinet. Supports d-pad, circlepad, and the touchscreen for controls. Harrier movement range has 3 stages to it that can be adjusted. B button set to rapid fire shot. Input 3 credits for consecutive play. Can select stages after playing them once. Includes a time trial mode where lives don't decrease for 60 seconds after starting. Supports savestates. Can save 1 replay, as well.

ybAIw.jpg

KMlPG.jpg

cDq4T.jpg

38XzD.jpg

More screens at the link, including some screens of the settings menu:
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20121219_579344.html

Bought! Where's my US release date?!

It doesn't take that much effort to release a premade game though, does it? I mean, companies far smaller than sega have released titles on the eShop. Asking out of honest curiosity, because I dont get it.

It's quite unlikely they're porting the original game, and certainly not running it via VC-style emulation. This is probably much closer to the PS2 NiGHTS (which was ported to XBLA/PSN/PC), where they basically had to rebuild the game based on reverse engineering and what they could rip.

Even for an older game, that does take a lot of time.

Also, this would be the perfect way to rerelease the otherwise short and tricky to replicate SegaSonic Arcade (local multiplayer, touch screen as track ball).

@MUWANdo

Banned
It doesn't take that much effort to release a premade game though, does it? I mean, companies far smaller than sega have released titles on the eShop. Asking out of honest curiosity, because I dont get it.

Well, the first point is that we don't know how long it's actually taken to develop, so it's impossible to speculate on whether it took an inordinate length of time or whatever. If they only started it six months ago then it's a pretty good turnaround.

Secondly, you can't really think of a release like this as a "premade game"; it's a remake of a 25-year-old game that was probably written in 68k/Z80 assembly, and we don't even know if they had the source code to work with, so it's not as straightforward as pure emulation (ie a Virtual Console release) or even a port, and it's gonna take even longer if you wanna do a good job, which they have.

Thirdly, there's a whole bunch of bureaucratic bullshit that can delay an eShop release for months after the game's done and submitted; these kinds of things are especially irritating for indie devs, but even big publishers like Sega get tripped up by them. You'll notice that this game still hasn't been announced outside of Japan--it'll be months before the rest of the world gets it, purely because of all the red tape they need to jump through in order to make it happen.

IrishNinja

yeah, Harrier's not my absolute favorite classic sega franchise but i want this nonetheless, and wanna support the work going into it because it's a great choice & i wanna see more like it.

Zaxxon next!

Damn, sounds amazing. The moving cabinet option in particular makes me think AfterBurner's next up. No way they'd only use that for a single release.

wondermega

Zaxxon next!

oh god. Please

Galaxy Force too.

drool

anyway, this still sounds and looks awesome, I am loving every morsel of info that releases on it. Screens look janky, but in genuine presentation I will give them the benefit of the doubt until I see it for myself.

People will really need to buy the hell out of this, to encourage them to make more 3D redo's in this fashion. So keep that in mind if you are on the fence for whatever reason.

Anyway, at the end of the day I ultimately remain skeptical "sigh will it actually even get announced for a potential release in the US?" Since that's not been touched on at all, I will still not get my hopes up. But geez that'd be cool, and in fact this kind of stuff is genuinely all I really want for my 3DS anyway!

meppi

I applaud all the the effort here, but personally I find it hard to think of a worse-aging game genre than sprite-based scaling 3D shooting games. Even well before the proliferation of actual polygonal 3D, they always felt janky and imprecise to me, a half-step to actual 3D that just never felt like it was pulled off right.

Really?
I'm actually totally the opposite as I have always wanted to see what new sprite-scaling games such as racers would look like with today's hardware.
Sure, a lot of modern gamers would be probably find them disgusting since they are not 3D, but I just love the look and feel of these sprite-scaling games...

Really?
I'm actually totally the opposite as I have always wanted to see what new sprite-scaling games such as racers would look like with today's hardware.
Sure, a lot of modern gamers would be probably find them disgusting since they are not 3D, but I just love the look and feel of these sprite-scaling games...

Super Hang On runs in 3D on PS3. It looks *great* even with the interlacing filter turned on.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Really?
Well, I did specifically mention shooters. I've always found it a bit hard in those games to get a clear sense of the point where the projectiles intersect with the plane the player is on and when they've passed, and the player's big ol' sprite obfuscating a lot of the playfield doesn't help any.

Racers are another bag, don't have nearly as much of a problem with the effect in them. I'd love to see Outrunners given this treatment.

kunonabi

It's quite unlikely they're porting the original game, and certainly not running it via VC-style emulation. This is probably much closer to the PS2 NiGHTS (which was ported to XBLA/PSN/PC), where they basically had to rebuild the game based on reverse engineering and what they could rip.

Even for an older game, that does take a lot of time.

Also, this would be the perfect way to rerelease the otherwise short and tricky to replicate SegaSonic Arcade (local multiplayer, touch screen as track ball).

How have I not heard of Sega Sonic Arcade?

Khaz

As awesome as this is, this is why I would never buy DDs from Nintendo. I don't know how anyone does it. It is the ultimate DD dealbreaker.

Because it's not? It's bound to your hardware as long as you have your hardware with you but if you break it or just change it sor some reason (like a XL) you can redownload all your stuff on your new hardware.

DD are linked to the hardware which is linked to your nintendo.com account. Link your new hardware to your account and drop a mail to Nintendo and tada, your stuff is back.

It's not as flexible as Steam or X360 or PS3 where you can login with your account at a friend's place, but it's in no way completely tied to your hardware with everything gone as soon as it breaks.

Top Bottom