• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch - What accessories do I need?

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere -- I finally have a Switch and want to get started with Zelda, but have read a ton of different things in regards to what else I should pick up in terms of accessories.

Some articles have said to definitely get a screen protector, but some friends have told me to stay away, that they can damage the screen or something.

I've heard that the dock can scratch the screen or system -- is there a way to avoid this?

Do I really need a micro SD card right out of the gate?

And any other advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

FloatOn

if you plan on downloading games get a SD card asap.

other than that a travel case is all I use for protecting the thing.

I'd wait for a micro SD card sale. You don't need one right away.
Get an AMFilm screen protector. It's like $8 for 2.

Consider a pro. If you ever play local multiplayer you'll have three controllers or two "full" ones.

A screen protector isn't a bad idea, however I ran without one for 3 months and had no issues, but I take very good care of my shit (but it's still prone to scratching no matter how careful you are). You can also get a dock "sock" on Etsy or something.

You don't really need a Micro SD unless you buy a lot of digital stuff, so if you're not going to you don't need one day 1, but consider one in the nearish future.

Pro Controller is highly recommended if you plan on playing on the TV!

Also, Micro SD card if you plan on going mostly or all digital.

Otherwise, I got a glass screen protector so that's worked for me.

jph139

If you plan on using it while traveling, a carrying case is 100% necessary. Screen protector is more negligible.

You can probably skip the SD card for now unless you plan to go crazy with digital games.

Get a screen protector on Amazon. They are super cheap and I can barely tell it's there. Also, Pro Controller.
No normal screen protector. The plastic ones aren't good. A tempered glass one will feel and look great.
I don't know which is best but I have AMFilm which is great and super cheap

Atheerios

Pro Controller, the best Nintendo has ever made.

And a tempered glass protector.

And a carry case.

That's it.

Don't bother with an SD now, wait until you need one and it's cheap.

Screen protectors damanging the screen? That's...new. I have had the Orzly Glass Protector for a few months and it's been amazing. You can go with that or the Orzly. Pro Controller is a must only if you don't like the joycons when docking the Switch. Horii Tough Pouch for when you take the system out.

Ryde3

I didn't get an extra SD card, but I did get a case, screen protector, pro controller and an extra AC adapter. I also purchased a huge portable battery, and an extra USB-C cable.

Do NOT get the charging grip, it doesn't hold a charger - it's just a port to charge joyconns while playing.

I didn't get an extra SD card, but I did get a case, screen protector, pro controller and an extra AC adapter. I also purchased a huge portable battery, and an extra USB-C cable.

Do NOT get the charging grip, it doesn't hold a charger - it's just a port to charge joyconns while playing.
Yeah, it's pretty useless

A second AC adapter is essential if you plan to travel with the system without the dock or just use it in tabletop/handheld around the house for long sessions without unplugging your dock setup.

First-party games have file sizes small enough that even as someone going mostly digital, I now think I could have done without a micro SD until much later in the year.

Screen Protector: Get the amFilm model for $7.99 on Amazon. I have this installed on mine and it's fantastic. I much prefer the feel of the glass protector to the OEM plastic screen also. The dock CAN scratch the screen if it's crooked. Unfortunately, I have a scratch on my screen from before putting the screen protector on. No scratches on the protector since, however.

SD Card: If you're planning on downloading all your games, grab an SD card as soon as you can since it's not super easy to move install data back and forth between the internal memory and an SD card. If you're going physical for your bigger games, this isn't as important early on.

Pro Controller: I like the pro controller a lot. It's up there with the DualShock 4 for me. If you're planning on playing a lot on the TV, maybe consider a pro controller. If you're thinking of spending more than half your time using it as a handheld, it may not be a necessary investment. However, buying the pro also puts you to 2-3 controllers depending on the game you're playing and your willingness to play with one joycon, so that's also a plus.

Case: If you're planning on taking the Switch out of the house with you a lot, a case isn't the worst idea. There's a fair amount of them available for $20 and under in a few different styles.

mas8705

Screen Protectors are always a must when it comes to handhelds. Even if you plan on docking your Switch 99% of the time.

As for anything else, I will admit that I got a nice carrying case for the Switch too since I do carry it with me to various places (including work) while the pro controller will be nice for any future titles coming out. Other than that, not really much I can think of since the Joycons you get can easily cover you and a buddy (unless if you are planning for four, to which, might as well get to more joycons).

Just get pro controller.

I'll never understand why people bother with screen protectors. What are you protecting it from? Your eyes?! In already unlikely scenario that there will be scratches that are visible even when the screen is on, how is it better to have additional scratched up layer on top of the screen?

Hylian7

Yeah it's only useful if you have more than one set of Joycons.

I have no idea why the regular grip doesn't just have the port on it though.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Speaking of the Amfilm protector: Did anyone else have a problem with the dust removal sticker adhesive being so strong that it left extremely hard to remove residue on the switch screen? I still haven't put the actual screen protector on because I need to really go at the screen itself with some rubbing alcohol to get that shit off. It made me immediately regret buying the protector.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
For starters don't listen to your friends.

- Glass screen protector
- Carry case
- Space power supply
- Spare USB C cable
- Pro Controller
- Memory card

That's what I went for.

I had the exact same problem and it made me rage. Its like they didn't even test it before selling. It was sticky enough to suspend a 1 lb weight.

Speaking of the Amfilm protector: Did anyone else have a problem with the dust removal sticker adhesive being so strong that it left extremely hard to remove residue on the switch screen? I still haven't put the actual screen protector on because I need to really go at the screen itself with some rubbing alcohol to get that shit off. It made me immediately regret buying the protector.

Just get pro controller.

I'll never understand why people bother with screen protectors. What are you protecting it from? Your eyes?! In already unlikely scenario that there will be scratches that are visible even when the screen is on, how is it better to have additional scratched up layer on top of the screen?

Resale value, you can also replace the screen protector with minimal investment, not so much the Switch.

And many of the tempered glass protectors are fairly good quality in terms of clarity. The only hassle is placing them on.

Just get pro controller.

You do realize people have gotten the original screen scratched by the dock? The additional layer (especially if it's tempered glass) have shown to be scratch resistant so you get peace of mind in handling your system without it being damaged. Unless you're confident dealing with this kind of repairability:

S3Lj1sOZWqKQYKmj.huge

You're better off adding that additional level of protection.

Optional but a good screen protector will help the device stay prime for years, try and get a glass protector they are slightly thicker then plastic ones but give a much nicer feel and finish.

What do you need for just yourself? Nothing. If you are paranoid about screen scratches, get a good protector. If you want to download a lot of games, get a micro SD card. If after trying out the controller options the console offers as default you decide you just have to have a bog standard controller, get the pro.

I bought nothing extra and have been good to go since launch.

javac

The official carry case is pretty decent, it comes with a standard screen protector which I find to be decent enough and the case doubles up as a more sturdy stand and its designed in such a way that you can charge the Switch whilst in tabletop mode too!

True Fire

I recommend 2 8bitdo controllers. They're small, inexpensive, and you can bring them anywhere with you. They have more functionality than joycons and they're not as expensive and bulky as Pro controllers. Great for handing over to friends on rooftops.

Glass

Pro controller is the best controller I've ever used. You do get used to the Joy Cons, but I'm really glad I played through Zelda using the Pro.

Then I'd get a case, because even if you think you'll never take it outside, there'll come a time when you have a long journey or some serious time to kill and it'll be a life saver.

I wasn't sold on screen protectors, until my friend bought me one, and now people don't even realise mine has one on its that good.

You do realize people have gotten the original screen scratched by the dock? The additional layer (especially if it's tempered glass) have shown to be scratch resistant so you get peace of mind in handling your system without it being damaged. Unless you're confident dealing with this kind of repairability:

You're better off adding that additional level of protection.

In all of the years of owning electronics I've never used a screen protector and the only visible scratch I've ever seen was on PSP about 7 years ago. And I'm one of those people who throws phone and keys into the same pocket.

I have no idea what you people do to scratch your electronics. :)

Kamina

Golden Boy
Pro Controller and a carrying-case/pouch.
A micro SD card if you plan on going digital.
Don't bother with screen protectors unless your dock is bent inwards or you generally fear scratching the screen.

In all of the years of owning electronics I've never used a screen protector and the only visible scratch I've ever seen was on PSP about 7 years ago. And I'm one of those people who throws phone and keys into the same pocket.

I have no idea what you people do to scratch your electronics. :)

You mean

In all the years of owning electronics I've never used a screen protector and I've never personally paid much mind to the microscratches that accumulate as a result

right?

OP, get yourself a tempered glass screen protector. Don't know why anyone would suggest differently. They keep your screen from getting damaged or scratched in any event, and they're cheap.

SD card.

Travel case.

Screen protector (get amFilm).

Pro controller.

Portable battery (anker 10000 is a good small one)

Maybe some wired headphones (I use Sennheiser.)

You mean

In all the years of owning electronics I've never used a screen protector and I've never personally noticed the microscratches that accumulate as a result

right?

Visible scratches. Why would I care about scratches that I can't see when the screen is on? I sort of get "re-sale" value argument although I typically don't re-sell electronics, but I have no clue why people would care about invisible scratches :)

Kamina

Golden Boy
This is a joke right?
Some of you guys make it seem like the switch's screen is frail to every touch, which is just false.
If you are paranoid about scratches, go for a protector, if your dock is bent, go for a protector, but please stop convincing switch owners that they absolutely need a protector lest they will be doomed with scratched screens.

ViolentP

Memory card
Pro Controller
Games

Some of you guys make it seem like the switch's screen is frail to every touch, which is just false.
If you are paranoid about scratches, go for a protector, if your dock is bent, go for a protector, but please stop convincing switch owners that they absolutely need a protector lest they will be doomed with scratched screens.

$8 investment to prevent a potential mishap that would be a nightmare to repair. It's a sound decision.

DMONKUMA

SD card and a GLASS screen protector are the major important items you need. Everything else depends if you are gonna be Switch in between modes frequently or are gonna stay exclusive on one for the majority of your use.

Docked
-Pro Controller

Handheld/Portable
-Travel Case(doesn't really matter which you get)
-Portable battery/w charger

Visible scratches. Why would I care about scratches that I can't see when the screen is on? I sort of get "re-sale" value argument although I typically don't re-sell electronics, but I have no clue why people would care about invisible scratches :)

Screen protector's are a bit like insurance, sometimes you don't understand why you need it until you REALLY need it.

A decent screen protector can be the difference between a ruined phone or switch with a cracked screen, or simply needing to spend another 7-8 bucks to replace the ruined tempered glass.

It seems like a waste of money until you experience first hand why it's not. Accidents can happen to anyone.

Kamina

Golden Boy
$8 investment to prevent a potential mishap that would be a nightmare to repair. It's a sound decision.
It's an $8 investment that allows for peace of mind and prevents any potential scratch - be it from the dock, daily use, or whatever random occurrence may transpire to cause a ding. It's sound advice that has no negatives. There is no reason not to get a screen protector.

Absolutely, but not necessary in case one is convinced that they will not scratch their screen.

NateDrake

It's an $8 investment that allows for peace of mind and prevents any potential scratch - be it from the dock, daily use, or whatever random occurrence may transpire to cause a ding. It's sound advice that has no negatives. There is no reason not to get a screen protector.

Invisible scratches appear in the right light. For some of us, that right light can be found in the places we game. I can spot the small handful of scratches that I let build up on my Switch clear as day when I'm sitting in my living room or out on my deck playing it. (No more scratches, though - got myself an AmFilm :p)

Also some people are just freaked out by tiny shit like scratches
and some people expect to sell their systems someday and want them in pristine condition when they do

Drey1082

In order of importance:

1) SD Card
2) Pro Controller
3) Screen Protector (Glass)
4) Portable Battery
5) Carrying Case for Travel
6) Small Headphone Amp (Like a Fiio E6) since the headphone output is a bit weak

Just to clarify, I wouldn't consider any of these a NEED, more like a nice to have.

Screen protector's are a bit like insurance, sometimes you don't understand why you need it until you REALLY need it.

A decent screen protector can be the difference between a ruined phone or switch with a cracked screen, or simply needing to spend another 7-8 bucks to replace the ruined tempered glass.

It seems like a waste of money until you experience first hand why it's not. Accidents can happen to anyone.

Screen protector won't save your screen from cracking :). It could help, but chances of saving the screen when you drop your Switch on a concrete floor will not be much smaller with screen protector on. I will take my chances of this very unlikely scenario over always looking at an inferior screen...

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Pro Controller, Carry Case, 128GB micro SD. Don't bother with the screen protector unless you're gonna throw your Switch into the dock.

Top Bottom