• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III and Capcom's Pixel Art Process

Krammy

EDIT: Oof! Posted this to OT, could a mod move it? I never thought this would happen to me! Thanks mods!

I did a little write-up earlier about Capcom's art process for Street Fighter III, and I thought it would be a cool to cross-post this to GAF and start a discussion/appreciation. It's loosely inspired from another topic by dragonzdogma called How Were Metal Slug Sprites Made?, which revealed a lot of cool information including SNK's art box tool. Anyway~

From it's polished frames to smooth animation, Street Fighter III is widely regarded as one of the best looking games to use pixel art. But just how much effort went into creating these beautiful characters?

Based on a variety of media and books, we've seen a plethora of Street Fighter III's hand drawn frames, often strung together showcasing various animations. Rather than pixels on a screen, it seems the artists chose to use traditional drawings as their starting point.

tumblr_inline_oott2xgJkH1ri065t_500.gif

From there, it's assumed these images were digitized and the line art drawn over with pixels. We can see examples of this process in Hugo's leftover prototype from Street Fighter III: New Generation, as well as other Capcom titles such as Street Fighter Alpha 2, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future, and Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

tumblr_inline_oott2xBnoV1ri065t_500.gif

Once these crude outlines were drawn and colours added, the final step would be to flesh out each frame with more detail and a tremendous amount of cleanup, culminating in the final image that you see in-game.

tumblr_inline_oou033Ku4e1ri065t_500.gif

As a final note, the team behind this masterpiece is actually much smaller than you might assume, crediting 21 "object artists" in it's first iteration. Just like Metal Slug, the raw talent of each artist is on full display! And if you find Capcom's art interesting, I'd highly recommend checking out the recently released anatomy guide that was used by these teams around the time of Street Fighter Alpha and on.

Does anyone have cool information regarding Capcom's art process from the old arcade days?

Platy

Wasn't street fighter 3 that started using 3d models and animations for reference/rotoscoping ?

I know some elena stuff clearly comes from 3d

Any thread about SFIII's art is a thread I will spend time in.

One of the best games ever made, and the animation is a huge part of that.

L Thammy

Wasn't street fighter 3 that started using 3d models and animations for reference/rotoscoping ?

Elena's animations really stick out, though.

Street Fighter 3 had a lot of loose-flowing details: Alex's hair dangling, Ryu's clothes "bouncing" from his movement, etc.

Scotia

Banned
Street Fighter 3 is still the pinnacle of sprite-based fighting games. I personally doubt its animation will ever be topped.

A hadoken alone is amazing to look at:

colorswap.php

Krammy

Yeah, I couldn't find any information on this, but I agree that something must have been done to get Elena's animations. She's also lacking lots of details like fingers and toes in most frames, and for that reason, she's my least favourite character in the game in terms of graphics.
tumblr_inline_o4p8pzIOdg1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_o4p8px0YgG1ri065t_500.gif

I approve of Hugo as the model for this awesome thread.

Low tier boiz unite!

Elena's win pose

����
tumblr_inline_o4p8q1bvl51ri065t_500.gif

PixelatedBookake

The pinnacle of 2-D fighter animation. I love the weight each character has and the power you can see each one of them put into their attacks. The blowback of Ryu's clothes after each time he does a Hadoken is spectacular. And everything about Twelve transfixes me. King of Fighters has good 2-D pixel animations but it doesn't even come close to 3rd Strike.

I might be the only one who doesn't love the look of SF3. Never appealed to me so i skipped 3 and came back with 4.

(Not saying 4 is prettier)

Platy

Yeah, I couldn't find any information on this, but I agree that something must have been done to get Elena's animations. She's also lacking lots of details like fingers and toes in most frames, and for that reason, she's my least favourite character in the game in terms of graphics.
tumblr_inline_o4p8pzIOdg1ri065t_500.gif
tumblr_inline_o4p8px0YgG1ri065t_500.gif

The way her head is the same in everything is really creepy

s3551ej.gif

Nope, no 3d at all but I do think rotoscoping was involved (only seen this theory applied to Elena) still impressive though.
I read in an official Capcom artbook that Elena was the first character to have her animation completed and Capcom couldnt afford to maintain the same amount of frames for every single character in the game so she stands out.
What I wouldnt give for Cacpom and SNK to have continued making 2d fighting games.

stn

Although its not my favorite Street Fighter in terms of gameplay, it is easily the most "cool" of the franchise. So much style.

Krammy

Some of the beginning sketches looked hilariously choppy.

When I was putting together the Hugo comparison, I noticed that two frames were missing. It doesn't help that the frame timing is probably really off in the gif you posted.

YEhTOha.gif

Surprised no one has posted Oro's "slip"

Great thread. All we need is some Oro dick and we set

If I knew what animation this is, I could grab it.

dan2026

I wish street fighter would go back to 2d sprites.

I can't imagine how good a street fighter game with the same visual fidelity of Skullgirls would look.

Darrenf

When I was putting together the Hugo comparison, I noticed that two frames were missing. It doesn't help that the frame timing is probably really off in the gif you posted.

YEhTOha.gif

If I knew what animation this is, I could grab it.
It's Oro's cr.HK.

Soltype

20 years and only one game even tried to outdo it, and with SNK going the cheap route, I'd say the dream is dead.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I've hung out with old school Capcom people who told me that a lot would work off pen and paper and reproduce that, but others would literally jump into the art creation tool and just do that shit pixel by pixel without reference. Apparently the early toolset was along the lines of "move to this pixel position with the arrow keys, then press one of 16 keys that correspond to the colors you've got available." He insinuated the people who did this were utterly insane.

ScOULaris

Right up there with the Metal Slug games as the best pure pixel art and animation in gaming history. It managed such smooth animation without sacrificing responsiveness. Perfection.

Top Bottom