• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default sells one million worldwide (400K Japan, 600K West)

Wagram

I'm very curious to see how many of the "burned out" people actually did every single piece of content from
Chapter 5-8. I know I did, and it sucked. However, if all you did was the main bosses, then good god that was nothing.

Myriadis

let's just say you're playing two games in one. The bad news is that they're the same game

Groundhog day

Repeated content basically.

But at the points it's repeated you have the airship allowing you to travel anywhere, the story dungeons have shortcuts open so you can go through them quickly, and the majority of the content in those chapters is optional so you can basically rush through the 4 dungeons and be done.

It doesn't "ruin" the game. The story is shit from the get-go and the later chapters (7/8) are where the battle system shines the most if you choose to do the optional sidequests. And chapters 5-8 can be done in a tiny fraction of the time as 1-4 if you don't want to do the optional content.

Okay, thanks for the replys. And to be honest, it doesn't sound that bad to me given that most of it is optional anyway.

Jinko

I'm very curious to see how many of the "burned out" people actually did every single piece of content from
Chapter 5-8. I know I did, and it sucked. However, if all you did was the main bosses, then good god that was nothing.

I did most of the side content in chapter 5 and 6 and then rushed 7 and 8 and was still fed up with it by the end.

It just destroyed any motivation to complete it. I kind of forced myself to finish it and that's never a good sign.

Ala Alba

Okay, thanks for the replys. And to be honest, it doesn't sound that bad to me given that most of it is optional anyway.

It's really not bad. I spent 75 hours playing through the game: Chapters 1-4 took me ~50 hours, and Chapters 5-End took me ~25 hours, and that's doing ALL the content (maxing all jobs, fighting every optional boss, going through the bonus dungeon, getting both endings, completely filling out the journal, etc).

I enjoyed it pretty much the whole way through. Of course, those 75 hours were spread out over the course of a few months and not crammed into a single week, which may have had something to do with it.

Vamphuntr

Pretty nice. It's a good game and deserves the sales. Hopefully the devs learned from their mistakes and avoid the same pitfalls in Bravely Second.

It sold more in the west? Guess you can remove the creepy otaku fanservice from the series now.

It really isn't. The 90 minute figure is literally true if you want to blaze through it and had been doing a good enough job figuring out how your use of the job system trumps everything else during boss battles.

The internet has an itchy trigger finger with negative hyperbole.

Toth

This game wouldnt have sold so much no doubt without nintendo's advertising. SQ owes them one.

And it pains me to say this but without Nintendo's support, DQ7 DS would not see anywhere near what it needs to pay for the massive translation. We all want it yes but its a very hard game to market (it's verrrrrrry long and can be very confusing for younger players).

Now where was Lightning Returns sales at the last time they gave a sales update?

Apples to oranges. LR was a more expensive purchase, a console title, and did not have Nintendo behind it to market it more effectively worldwide.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I did most of the side content in chapter 5 and 6 and then rushed 7 and 8 and was still fed up with it by the end.

It just destroyed any motivation to complete it. I kind of forced myself to finish it and that's never a good sign.

Kind of a shame you did it that way too. The sidequests in 7 and 8 are amazing, and all but one in 5 and 6 are completely pointless.

Didn't expect Western sales to outmatch Japan (even though the West collectively is larger than one country). Bravely Default wasn't nearly as good as 4 Heroes, but on its own merits it is a decent game that just wasn't my cup of tea. With that said I do wonder how the sales of each game matched up comparatively.

vareon

5 & 6 really burned out a lot of people, which is a shame because 7 & 8 were fantastic. I really wonder how much "what the fuck is this shit" expressions Japanese people were having when they played the first BDFF, the one without the encounter slider.

DNAbro

5 & 6 really burned out a lot of people, which is a shame because 7 & 8 were fantastic. I really wonder how much "what the fuck is this shit" expressions Japanese people were having when they played the first BDFF, the one without the encounter slider.

without the encounter slider this game would have been a lot worse. Makes it so much more convenient. Grind when you want to grind, blast through dungeons when you want to.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What is with this argument? Is it that hard to envision that many people really did hate that segment of the game that much?

It's understandable that people wouldn't like that part. But it's not like it ruins the entire game, that is definitely hyperbole.

This is probably the best game I will never ever finish.

Here's hoping they give a shit about the story next game, a lot rides on those decisions for the sequel.

JCX

I always have to force myself through the end of JRPGs, so it was just normal for me.

I did all the sidequests save for the
adventurer. My 3DS' hinge broke while I was trying to finish it.

FryHole

Yeah 5 & 6 are the killers

It sold more in the west? Guess you can remove the creepy otaku fanservice from the series now.

Is it generally considered creepy otaku fan service? I'm not a fan of that guff at all (just started to watch Gurren Lagann and am deeply put off by all the bouncing) but it never registered as such with me. That could be a result of a terrific localisation that pegged the racier stuff with an almost Benny Hill/Carry On style that worked well in the UK.

Bravely Default is like a nice pleasant ride that goes careening off the road and in to a wall near the end of the trip.

I don't even mind the tedium if it had a point and couldn't be avoided. Sometimes developers throw in messages about game design in to their game and I felt like Bravely Default was trying to do that
by having a Bioshock-like "You keep doing what you're told to do because someone tells you to do it in a video game" sort of twist. The problem is that I figured out it was Airy quickly, I broke a crystal early on and then knew it was Airy. The characters (except Agnes) figure out it was Airy but still keep destroying worlds at her behest long after suspecting her.
Because of that, the player feels trapped within the game's plot and doesn't get any message the game is trying to send and it certainly doesn't alleviate any tedium.

Shiina

without the encounter slider this game would have been a lot worse. Makes it so much more convenient. Grind when you want to grind, blast through dungeons when you want to.

Yeah I don't even want to imagine how much of a pain this game must have been in the original Japanese version without encounter and speed settings.

A different story and less repetition in the later chapters would've made this a GOTY candidate for me. The music and battle system is perfect.

DNAbro

Yeah I don't even want to imagine how much of a pain this game must have been in the original Japanese version without encounter and speed settings.

oh god they didn't even have the speed settings? Game would take absolutely forever without it.

Glass Rebel

Um... okay?

The game gets regularly shat on for pulling thta twist "halfway through" with "the latter half" being absolute shit. That's pretty much hyperbole.

I understand not liking chapters 5-8, the repetitive dungeons, the chibi designs, the flat protagonists, the fact that a lot of the story and worldbuilding is tucked away in the notebook etc. But as I said a page ago, anyone that says that it's half of the game is exaggerating.

DNAbro

Still haven't bought it, but played the shit out if the demo, how is it?

Good. As people have been saying the last half(seems like it really is more of last third) is repetitive. A lot of the world building is from side quests so they are necessary to do to get more out of the game.

Just finished Bravely Default Last week.

Loved the game, I massively abused the encounters rate during the first four chapters (frequently on 100% increase) so that I could power level. I did not feel the need to do any side quests from 5-8 which drastically broke the tedium (and even then
Wind Crystal boss was always a pain for some reason. The rest were no problem just Orthrus

Loved the ending and thought it was really well done, If I had felt the desire to "100%" side quests though? that's a lot of the same battles over and over. I felt like the game was just fine without doing any side quests (after chapter 4) until chapter 9.

30 hrs for chapter 1-4 and 10 for Chapter 5-9.

fedexpeon

Banned
I am glad it sold well because this should tell more Japanese companies to localize more to the West.
However, I am also sad that a horrible game sold so well.
I can see SE thinking that reusing assets is the best way for new IP.

Jinko

I don't know about that. I really enjoyed the game right until chapter 5. It's no exaggeration; that point ruined my experience.

This !

I think its one of those cases where you are influenced by whats freshest in your mind, so the end of the game quickly overshadows what you saw and experienced before hand.

The game went from a 9/10 to a 5/10 and thats not hyperbole at least for me.

The downloadable content, boss fights and the village were all awesome little additions though, so there was a silver lining there at least.

I'll be definitely reading the JP thread for feedback on the next game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I am glad it sold well because this should tell more Japanese companies to localize more to the West.
However, I am also sad that a horrible game sold so well.
I can see SE thinking that reusing assets is the best way for new IP.
Way more 'horrible' games (including SE's own) have sold well under much heavier marketing than BD could ever hope for. As shocking as it may sound to some here, BD sold mainly on its merits.

/though I did enjoy 4HOL better overall, BD too is a good jrpg.

The second half of the game was disappointing but the game mechanics and presentation were ace. This and Ni No Kuni are probably the best JRPGs released in the last 5 years or so.

Wazzy

Banned
I really enjoyed this game so glad to hear!

It had it's flaws but it never ruined the game for me, just lessened my enjoyment.

Top Bottom