• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinbe

O_O....

As always, the best announcements are the most unexpected. Holy fuck Nintendo, can't fucking wait to see more.

Alcibiades

wow, just wow...

sounds a bit weird (3D has always been problematic on some level), but I'd love to see Nintendo pull this off and be the next DS/Wii

big_z

nintendo just out dated all those shitty 3D tv's.

hopefully wii 2 uses 3DHD OLED glasses that track head movement and next gen wii motes. its about time VR makes a comeback.

GDGF

Soothsayer
You know, this is one of the few times that we can legitimately say that this hardware will change the way we play games forever. True 3D without glasses in the palm of your hand. Now I need to hear about how much power this thing is packing.

Think about Mario Kart in true 3D. Think about Starfox in true 3D. I am fucking pumped.

(and one more time...Soothsayer!)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Man I Loooooove my Virtual Boy. Obviously it's a flawed disaster.. (red screen, kills children) but it had a great stereoscopic 3D effect in 1995! Even in the five minutes it was released, Nintendo was starting to explore gameplay in interesting ways with depth perception... they are gonna do some amazing games in 3D now that they're putting it on a future juggernaut DS.

Wow, this mysterious and awesome news just kind of appeared all of a sudden. Consider me excited! Whatever this is, I will be all over it for sure. Can't wait to see how this pans out.

Nintendo will win if it has at least 8GB flash storage and the ability to download games and play music, but we know that won't happen.

MisterHero

Blablurn said:
how does 3D without glasses work?
Face tracking

the screens change the camera angle of the content based on where the player's face is and how eyes would normally interpret 3d objects (thus the DSi cameras)

well that's my crappy guess anyways

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Alcibiades said:
wow, just wow...

sounds a bit weird (3D has always been problematic on some level), but I'd love to see Nintendo pull this off and be the next DS/Wii
Yeah, I am keen as heck to see how Nintendo uses this. The starter software they pump out will be pretty dymanic in terms of showing how it can be implemented so should be interesting.

Stabby McSter said:
so is this another iteration of the ds or is this completely new?
Taking a stab in the dark and saying new hardware with backwards compatability. Something akin to Gameboy > Gameboy Advance.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
And I can't even see 3D effects. :'(

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
jj984jj said:
What? 3D? Like that DSiWare game?

Yeah probably just head tracking type 3d like Rittai Kakushi e Attakoreda. Natal could also do this and it had better. Could do it with Sony stuff too.

:lol oh gaf

if a new nintendo console sounds stupid on paper, it will be great and successful

if a new nintendo console sounds great and successful on paper, it will be shit

this will fail

Buckethead said:
Nintendo will win if it has at least 8GB flash storage and the ability to download games and play music, but we know that won't happen.
Can't the DSi do that? I don't see why this wouldn't.

Needs to have a GB/GBC/GBA virtual console tbh

Quick Google seach gives us this, from Gamespot.

RUMOR #2: The Nintendo DS will incorporate 3D technology from Sharp.

Source: UK-based online game mag Gamesindustry.biz.

The official story: A Sharp spokesperson did not confirm nor deny the story. However, given the company's history with Nintendo, the rep added that such news would not be a surprise. E-mails to Nintendo were not returned.

What we heard: Sharp actually stopped by the GameSpot offices to show off its impressive 3D technology, which displays two slightly askew images on a single screen to create the illusion of three dimensions. Apparently someone heard the words "two" and "screen," thought "DS," and started posting away. They might have also remembered the two companies' industry-shattering 1989 collaboration, the Sharp NES TV, and figured one loopy idea warrants another. Still, Nintendo and Sharp's silence could mean they're hiding something--that or they can't be bothered to respond to pesky reporters' idle gossip. It's doubtful that Nintendo could incorporate such premium technology into the DS and keep its price low enough to arouse interest in such a, er, unique system.

Bogus or not bogus?: The thing already has us seeing double. Making it 3D would make millions cockeyed. Bogus.

Yep, bogus. Still, some idea of what it could be, if it wasn't TOTALLY bogus.

To be fair, this is from 2004

Tim-E

bafflewaffle said:
:lol oh gaf

if a new nintendo console sounds stupid on paper, it will be great and successful

if a new nintendo console sounds great and successful on paper, it will be shit

this will fail

If a 3D handheld from Nintendo would have been announced several years ago, this thread would resemble the threads from when the DS and Wii were announced.

Jeo said:
3DS

I love it, brilliant name
and no glasses? wow im really glad I didn't upgrade to a DSi

1zceqfd.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I don't understand how this will work. If 3D was so easy to achieve without glasses, shouldn't movies have implemented that already? If it's face tracking tech, how does that even work?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Buckethead said:

You have to pick and choose your dream specs and features. Nintendo never implements them all :p

Foil

I don't care at all about 3D, but it'll be interesting to see how this thing works.

Blablurn said:
how does 3D without glasses work?

Maybe the system has pins you insert into your eyeballs and the electric current makes you see things in 3D.

How does 3D gaming work if you've got no depth perception?

I've got a squint, and my brain compensated at a young age by making it so I only really "see" through one eye at a time. I've never been able to "do" 3D. Will this still be playable? o_o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom