• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apath

Dresden said:
I'm going to laugh my ass off if it just has two screens side-by-side on the bottom that you see at the same time to create a pseudo-3D effect.
I'll bet my left nut (the better of the two) that it won't be this.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
OneEightZero said:
So most likely this will be one screen displaying 3D instead of two?

I wouldn't assume that. I'm just conjecturing that at least one screen will appear to be a window which one feels like they could reach into. There will probably not be any perception of stuff coming out at you.

first proto image leaked

bhq9mvmvwupqqm265.png

JSR

Wow, this came out of nowhere. I love when Nintendo makes big announcements out the blue. As for the device itself, it could be very cool. I think it'll depend on how well the 3D tech works. I assume Nintendo wouldn't release the 3DS unless the tech does work, but you never know.

And I've got to admit, the 3DS is a pretty clever name.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Can someone confirm that it says backwards compatible... Google Translate seems to think so.

IceMarker

Oh god.... the hype train... it's growing at a huge pace...

THE FIRST NEXT GEN SYSTEM IS COMING SOONER THAN WE THOUGHT GENTS :lol

Well... we all knew new hardware was in development, but sooner than expected. And 3D... without glasses... nobody expected that. Nobody.

Without glasses?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Ravidrath said:
Wow, surprised they went ahead and announced it.

But, yeah... it's true. This was floating around GDC as being confirmed by people working on the hardware.

What I've heard is...

1) Two screens, with virtually no seam between them when open
2) Screens are higher resolution, but exact resolution is unknown
3) Powered by nVidia Tegra
4) Roughly as powerful as a Gamecube, and apparently similar to program for
5) Uses carts - believed to be same size as DS/DSi carts, only with different guts
6) Due out in 2010 in at least one territory

Looking forward to seeing it.

Awesome if true.

Diebuster

Goddamnit Nintendo I was just about to start my homework :lol

Definitely glad I haven't upgraded to a DSi now. Look forward to seeing more of this at E3.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
thetrin said:
So wait...3D ISN'T a fad? Color me intrigued. Nintendo does it yet again.

Glasses = the fad.

When we finally ditch those it'll be a revolution. Until then it's just a gimmick.

But it looks like things are looking up! :D

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ravidrath said:

But, yeah... it's true. This was floating around GDC as being confirmed by people working on the hardware.

What I've heard is...

5) Uses carts - believed to be same size as DS/DSi carts, only with different guts

Now things get interesting.

Ten-Song

Sounds really interesting if it doesn't require those dumb as shit glasses, but I'd like to actually see it functioning before I weigh in on it in any way.

Oh and, for the record Hollywood, I don't want 3D on my TV, so fuck off.

3D on a handheld gaming platform is genius though. Setting themselves apart from Apple.
Sony? Who's that? Not a competitor....

Tee heee shamon

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Ravidrath said:

What I've heard is...

Holy Shit. This without 3D would be awesome enough. 3D makes this MINDBLOWN IN ANTICIPATION shit!!!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
speedpop said:
It is when I'm getting charged triple the price to see the same movie!

Yes, well, let's hope WB doesn't make games for the 3DS.

Costanza

Banned
I'm thinking only the top screen is 3D while the bottom retains touch-capability. Don't see how it would work otherwise.

Well this came out of left field. Very interested to see the potential, and also for the inevitable lulz discussions. 3D wind waked please.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Buckethead said:
3D on a handheld gaming platform is genius though. Setting themselves apart from Apple.
Sony? Who's that? Not a competitor....

Tee heee shamon
:lol :lol

Tim-E

cosmicblizzard said:
So is anyone going to say "The 3DS is 2 DS' taped together."?

If it is like Panther Lotus described, with multiple screens on top of each other, people will likely say "Two DSs taped on top of each other."

Ten-Song said:
Sounds really interesting if it doesn't require those dumb as shit glasses, but I'd like to actually see it functioning before I weigh in on it in any way.

"Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011"

speedpop said:
It is when I'm getting charged triple the price to see the same movie!

thats an exaggeration, unless you're still getting freaking 5 dollar tickets, which weren't even around 10 years ago when I was younger, then theres no way it's even double. Ticket prices run about 8.50-10.50 and 3d is around 12-14. Expensive yeah, but no more than a 50% increase, not 300. Lets not get carried away

No gap between the screen kinda fucks up DS backwards compatibility...

Maybe the resolution differences can compensate, and they can letterbox the image slightly to recreate the gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom