• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

emag

That person said their friend is using their phone.

Person A is driving. Person A hands person B person A's phone (for navigation or media control). Currently, Person A can use TouchID to unlock the phone while without taking their eyes off the road. Telling person B person A's passcode doesn't seem like a good solution at all.

DOWN

Banned
Person A is driving. Person A hands person B person A's phone (for navigation or media control). Currently, Person A can use TouchID to unlock the phone while without taking their eyes off the road. Telling person B person A's passcode doesn't seem like a good solution at all.
Person A can unlock the phone in a glance as quick as looking at the speedometer if person b just holds it up there. Yes, this scenario is imperfect but let’s not go down a rabbit hole

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
K9o1VW4.gif

The post-Face ID driving experience, according to GAF.

I honestly don't understand the hate the X is getting.
Apple is exactly where I've wanted them to be for a while, an Apple TV4 with A10X, Watch, EarPods, HomePod and X will be the perfect hardware when it's all released for me.
I can't wait to have it all connected to iCloud and working together.
Even watching my son do his homework on an iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard on iOS 11 is so much easier that a Windows laptop.

It feels like a S8+ or V30 that is slightly off and more expensive, not like a product that's in its own lane or much better than competitors. And that, for Apple, feels odd.

We're also in a place where it feels like Apple is removing and swapping milestone features for the fuck of it and not because they're inventing things that are better.

I like the X but I am not buying it. I have a 7 Plus that is still fast as hell with a great camera. That's weird for me to say, because I always get the new iPhone. I just don't see the need this time. I wonder if that'll be a trend for Apple or not. I also have Air Pods and a Nike Apple watch, I use both every day. I just have no affinity for this iPhone X, the Notch, the death of Touch ID, Animoji, etc.

It feels like a S8+ or V30 that is slightly off and more expensive, not like a product that's in its own lane or much better than competitors. And that, for Apple, feels odd.

We're also in a place where it feels like Apple is removing and swapping milestone features for the fuck of it and not because they're inventing things that are better.

I like the X but I am not buying it. I have a 7 Plus that is still fast as hell with a great camera. That's weird for me to say, because I always get the new iPhone. I just don't see the need this time. I wonder if that'll be a trend for Apple or not. I also have Air Pods and a Nike Apple watch, I use both every day. I just have no affinity for this iPhone X, the Notch, the death of Touch ID, Animoji, etc.
For me, the X is an iPhone 8 Plus without being a gigantic phone - I love the iPhone 7/8 size, and the 7/8 Plus screen size, but not the overall 7/8 Plus size - it’s too big for my hand, for my pocket, for my personal comfort. The X solves this - it’s got a slightly larger screen than the 7/8 Plus, but is about the same size overall as the normal 7/8. And has a much, much higher quality screen, and the features Apple holds back from non-Plus phones for no particular reason (mainly the camera).

Guess Who

Banned
For me, the X is an iPhone 7 Plus without being a gigantic phone - I love the iPhone 7 size, and the 7 Plus screen size, but not the overall 7 Plus size - it’s too big for my hand, for my pocket, for my personal comfort. The X solves this - it’s got a slightly larger screen than the 7 Plus, but is about the same size overall as the normal 7. And has a much higher quality screen, and the features Apple holds back from non-Plus phones for no particular reason (mainly the camera).

It actually doesn't get any of the Plus software features (particularly the landscape home screen and iPad-style app layouts).

I can already tell that my kids are going to take advantage of the face id to unlock dad and moms phones when they are within reach. Not that we wouldn't see that happening, but they will. Touch ID has kept them out the way pin codes never could.

Ashhong

I can already tell that my kids are going to take advantage of the face id to unlock dad and moms phones when they are within reach. Not that we wouldn't see that happening, but they will. Touch ID has kept them out the way pin codes never could.

What would your kids do with your phones? Can't you just tell them not to do that?

Kyoufu

Seeing the iPhone 8 benchmarks blow away the competition is nice but when you see the A11 Bionic chip match or outperform a 13" laptop CPU then that's really impressive to me.

The idea of paying $1,150 for this thing is absurd but my phone has difficulties holding a charge and is 2+ years old now. I need 256gb and the 8+ is $950... I feel like the additional $200 just makes sense at that point. No?

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh yeah, as someone mentioned battery life, I took my 6S Plus in to get looked at and apparently I have 82% capacity (feels like much less but whatever) remaining and it's eligible for a free replacement. So that was a nice bonus, even if I'll likely sell it in November for the X.

What would your kids do with your phones? Can't you just tell them not to do that?

do you have kids?
At a certain age before they get their own devices, mom and dads phones are catnip.
They become experts at spotting the PIN number from fragments of info. And then given half a chance they're using it for whatever. Nothing bad. Games, looking up something.

Touch ID ended all that very neatly. I know with face-id they'll feel like there is a chance again.

do you have kids?
At a certain age before they get their own devices, mom and dads phones are catnip.
They become experts at spotting the PIN number from fragments of info. And then given half a chance they're using it for whatever. Nothing bad. Games, looking up something.

Touch ID ended all that very neatly. I know with face-id they'll feel like there is a chance again.

Children are shit.

The idea of paying $1,150 for this thing is absurd but my phone has difficulties holding a charge and is 2+ years old now. I need 256gb and the 8+ is $950... I feel like the additional $200 just makes sense at that point. No?

It definitely does.

The biggest complaint I have about the X is not necessarily the price, but the lack of a 128GB option. 64 is just too small, but as a single person with no kids 256 is just excessive. 128 is perfect for my needs on the 7, so I'm paying extra for no reason. I'm sure Apple marketing is very aware of this though, as most people spending this much on a phone will just go 256.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So would you guys recommend I go through Apple instead of AT&T to upgrade? I feel like AT&T's site would be less congested.

dc89

So would you guys recommend I go through Apple instead of AT&T to upgrade? I feel like AT&T's site would be less congested.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen apples site slow down due to traffic. Stock will go quickly though so you’ll have to be up and ready for pre orders starting.

Akira

It sucks that you have to go into the Apple store to enroll for IAP if you’re with T-Mobile. Why can’t I just do it online, Uncarrier? Oh I guess that name still fits if the other carriers are doing it, but not them. XD

jts

...hate me...
Oh yeah, as someone mentioned battery life, I took my 6S Plus in to get looked at and apparently I have 82% capacity (feels like much less but whatever) remaining and it's eligible for a free replacement. So that was a nice bonus, even if I'll likely sell it in November for the X.
That's great. My 6s Plus is at just under 75% according to Coconut Battery but I doubt I'm eligible.

samn

For me, the X is an iPhone 8 Plus without being a gigantic phone - I love the iPhone 7/8 size, and the 7/8 Plus screen size, but not the overall 7/8 Plus size - it’s too big for my hand, for my pocket, for my personal comfort. The X solves this - it’s got a slightly larger screen than the 7/8 Plus, but is about the same size overall as the normal 7/8. And has a much, much higher quality screen, and the features Apple holds back from non-Plus phones for no particular reason (mainly the camera).

I'm not sure how well it caters to people that like the Plus screen size. The screen is thinner than the Plus and 16:9 video won’t look any larger than on the non Plus.

It is a taller screen in a shorter frame but the top of the screen is no easier to reach than with the Plus.

Damon

It definitely does.

The biggest complaint I have about the X is not necessarily the price, but the lack of a 128GB option. 64 is just too small, but as a single person with no kids 256 is just excessive. 128 is perfect for my needs on the 7, so I'm paying extra for no reason. I'm sure Apple marketing is very aware of this though, as most people spending this much on a phone will just go 256.
There should be no 64GB tier.

The $999 should be 128GB.

Like you said 256GB will be overkill for many, I have 128GB 7 and whilst I’ve not filled it up and might just get away with 64GB. 128GB would be a lot better, I don’t want to get to a stage where I have to micro manage storage and start deleting things just to free up storage.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not sure how well it caters to people that like the Plus screen size. The screen is thinner than the Plus and 16:9 video won’t look any larger than on the non Plus.

It is a taller screen in a shorter frame but the top of the screen is no easier to reach than with the Plus.

Isn't it a 5.15" equivalent 16:9 screen? That would be closer to plus size than non-plus size

Sean

Banned
iPhone X Production Faces Further Delays, Will Start in Mid-October

Interestingly, while the industry widely anticipated a shift in iPhone ramp timing, our checks suggest there was an incremental delay in the build plans - with orders firmed up as recently as last week - shifting production more into the December quarter.

While our checks are ongoing, initial feedback from our meetings suggests that final production of iPhone X has not yet begun, with production expected to commence in mid-October. That production start is about a month later when compared to expectations a month ago, and about 2 months later than expectations at the end of June.

Well, shit. If this is true, pre-order and launch is going to be even more of a clusterfuck than we've been expecting.

mrkgoo

There should be no 64GB tier.

The $999 should be 128GB.

Like you said 256GB will be overkill for many, I have 128GB 7 and whilst I’ve not filled it up and might just get away with 64GB. 128GB would be a lot better, I don’t want to get to a stage where I have to micro manage storage and start deleting things just to free up storage.

IT's how Apple has always operated. they have the "real" model, and then they add more storage and capture a in-proportionally more expensive one compared to cut to capture a bit extra, and then make a model that is slightly below useful to most people at an equivalent level down to say they hit that price point, but are really targeting the middle one.

In the iPhone X case, if they made a 128GB, no-one would probably buy the 256GB.

but yeah, the bottom model is always one step below what most people want at that time point. IT's at tactic to both say that they hit a lower price point and to provide a sort of "artificial" selection, so that buyers of at the "Real" model feel like they are getting bang for their buck (although most nerds actually read it as charging X dollars more for one Y dollars more storage - when really it's more like taking X dollars off for removing Y storage).

And we suckers buy it, so it works for them.

Kyoufu

Is the X going to be a separate line of phones or will next years model be in a similar vein to this one?

The current rumour is that the iPhone 9 or whatever they call it will be the next X in terms of features and design, but it's just a rumour for now. Nobody outside of Apple really knows yet.

Juice

do you have kids?

I don't get it. They can still just tap Use Passcode and type it instead.

Juice

I'm worried that a rush on building them is going to result in a decreased level of overall quality in the assembly process for these early phones.

be careful, brehs.

The Genius Bar always has reserved units for customer support. Once you get ahold of one that's your golden ticket to keeping on swapping them until they're perfect. I went through three iPhone 4's in their first month of release with little defects.

mrkgoo

The Genius Bar always has reserved units for customer support. Once you get ahold of one that's your golden ticket to keeping on swapping them until they're perfect. I went through three iPhone 4's in their first month of release with little defects.

yeah, first gen products can have their share of issues that are unforeseen, but one advantage of being an early adopter in those cases is that Apple are super-willing to exchange for any fault, 1) to prevent negative feedback about the hot new shiny, and 2) to capture any faults so they can make changes to the production or otherwise identify the trend of any growing fault.

Like my iPhone 5 had two dead pixels, and they exchanged for a new retail box, not just a support exchange model.

On the one hand, I typically pay the extra whatever for a higher model if it's close enough.

But what am I paying $200 more for in this case? Bigger, OLED display? I do want to see them side-by-side and my 6S Plus is still fine so I'm willing to wait...I think. I was a click away from an iPhone 8 Plus last night.

Geez whoever gets this on launch day will be the envy of the town in here. i might go to a t-mobile store the morning of pre order day just to make sure i get in.

I wonder if Legere is gonna announce any JOD specials closer to release day.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
LOL if iPhone 9 ends up being the successor to iPhone 10.
I think they just go iPhone and iPhone Plus (with the X designs). If they can ramp up production and get satisfactory OLED production out of LG. Home button designs will be relegated to old models and SE designs.
If not this next year then definitely the following.

mrkgoo

LOL if iPhone 9 ends up being the successor to iPhone 10.
They did say the iPhone X was from the future!

But yeah they could go a number of ways.

iPhone 8S (or 9) and iPhone XS (or XI) next year and by the following year te iPhone X may become the standard iPhone and they sort of reach their usual numbering.

TrutaS

I expect next year we'll have a 9 which is a evolved version of the 8 and the X-S which is an evolved version of the X. That way they can go through 9, and keep the X relevant.

The following year, they will have all the production quirks sorted, parts cheaper, so they can go back on a single model, based on the X with design revisions (which they will call a completely new design) and call it the 11 (or another naming system, since marketing teams don't like numbers past 10 usually).

I think having an 8 and 10 in the same year is a surefire way to cleanly break from doing numbers at all. How do you follow up a 10 with a 9? What do you past the 10, an 11?

My official guess is no numbers next year

womfalcs3

Banned
I think having an 8 and 10 in the same year is a surefire way to cleanly break from doing numbers at all. How do you follow up a 10 with a 9? What do you past the 10, an 11?

My official guess is no numbers next year

Well... X is a Roman numeral. Arabic numerals 10 can still happen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well... X is a Roman numeral. Arabic numerals 10 can still happen.

It’s the one phone ten

Edit: has anyone estimated the size of the side bezels vs 6/6s/7/8? The sides look very similar to my 6s, down to the screen rolling around the side and meeting the metal band.

Top Bottom