• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone X | OT | November 3

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I do the phone passing thing in the car all the time lol.

Lady friend: "It locked."
Me: ::stick my thumb out to my right::

Apple and oranges? (no pun intended)
Sounds like bad build quality.

No, it's a design flaw.

LUOuBG9.jpg

You can see here the little springs that hold the cable in place. It's a cost cutting measure. It's similar to USB A, but that port is larger so it's less of an issue.

PE5C1xh.jpg

Lightning cables use far more robust side pins.With a Lightning cable you can pick up a charging phone by the cable with no worries that it will fall. That's not the case with a USB C port, even when it's new and it noticeably wears from there.

It's a fine cable for most uses, even most laptops don't get plugged and unplugged multiple times a day like a phone does, but for phones, it's simply not durable enough.

Tahnit

Banned
I have an iPhone 7 128gb I bought on launch day. I think I’m gonna keep this for a bit longer. It works well enough and is fast. 1000 isn’t worth the price imo

Lightning cables use far more robust side pins.With a Lightning cable you can pick up a charging phone by the cable with no worries that it will fall. That's not the case with a USB C port, even when it's new and it noticeably wears from there.

It's a fine cable for most uses, even most laptops don't get plugged and unplugged multiple times a day like a phone does, but for phones, it's simply not durable enough.

Yeah, I love the snug feel of the Lightning port. But the USB-C ports on my MBP, they've got this awful metal-on-metal grating when you attach cables. I guess compared to the old USB standard it's not much different in feel, but after enjoying Lightning ports it's a huge step back.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
No, it's a design flaw.

LUOuBG9.jpg

You can see here the little springs that hold the cable in place. It's a cost cutting measure. It's similar to USB A, but that port is larger so it's less of an issue.

https://i.imgur.com/PE5C1xh.jpg[/MG]

It's a fine cable for most uses, even most laptops don't get plugged and unplugged multiple times a day like a phone does, but for phones, it's simply not durable enough.[/QUOTE]

Guess we'll see what happens to the Switch.
I charge that a lot via cable only and so far so good. It's quite snug and feels secure.

As for the lightning cable, I used to do that, where I'd pick it up by the cable only when I was being lazy.
Nowadays though unless I move very slowly it will fall. But it has survived for a while. (6S)

LordOfChaos

It's kind of like a plus sized screen on a non-plus body.

Because of the notch and curves, you still don't get some Plus amenities like tab rows I think. So it's not a Plus in a regular body as it's being billed by some, it's slightly larger than the regular in actual real estate.

Ashhong

The car faceid scenario sounds legit. My friends pass me their phone all of the time to change music or navigate. Having to do FaceID might be an issue unless it can catch them at an angle. I hope there's a mode where you can keep the phone unlocked while it's connected to your car or going over 10mph etc

reKon

Banned
The car faceid scenario sounds legit. My friends pass me their phone all of the time to change music or navigate. Having to do FaceID might be an issue unless it can catch them at an angle. I hope there's a mode where you can keep the phone unlocked while it's connected to your car or going over 10mph etc

Is there not a smart unlock feature that you can set up to automatically have your phone unlocked when it's connected to a trusted Bluetooth device?

47 second mark, was "more responsive touch system" ever elaborated on anywhere? I wonder if it's sampling fingers at double 60fps like the OG iPad Pros have done, even with 60hz screens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wEI5zhHB0

AFAIK, iPhones have had the lowest or among the very lowest touch latency of any phone period. Admittedly, it’s been years since I looked into this, so I’m not sure what the deal is now.

47 second mark, was "more responsive touch system" ever elaborated on anywhere? I wonder if it's sampling fingers at double 60fps like the OG iPad Pros have done, even with 60hz screens?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wEI5zhHB0

The iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro have faster touch scanning, which gives a temporary resolution of twice the refresh display. I'm assuming the iPhone X (and 8?) must have gained this as well, because I don't remember anything specific in the docs about a more responsive touch system in iOS 11 on the software side, though it's possible I guess. There were some improvements in iOS 10 if I'm remembering correctly.

Pepiope

Not that I'm aware of...
That sucks. That's actually a feature I loved on Android. Every time I'm in my car I could just swipe to unlock. Friends could do it too if they wanted to control music, GPS, etc.

Hopefully it'll find its way into 11 somehow

LordOfChaos

AFAIK, iPhones have had the lowest or among the very lowest touch latency of any phone period. Admittedly, it’s been years since I looked into this, so I’m not sure what the deal is now.

I think the Pixels pretty much matched it, but now this is saying "more responsive" with a presumed "than previous iPhones". I don't see it followed up on anywhere but Jonnys voice.

The iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro have faster touch scanning, which gives a temporary resolution of twice the refresh display. I'm assuming the iPhone X (and 8?) must have gained this as well, because I don't remember anything specific in the docs about a more responsive touch system in iOS 11 on the software side, though it's possible I guess. There were some improvements in iOS 10 if I'm remembering correctly.

Yeah that's what I was guessing, the 120hz sampling of your fingers even on the OG Pros 60hz screen to animate with less latency from when you actually move.

You have to use the power button and the volume down button to power off the iPhone 10. Why?

Graceful shutdown is now an option in Settings.app. Which makes sense because it's not something you're supposed to need to use every day or even every week.

If you need to do a hard reset, like for example if the iPhone or its touchscreen becomes unresponsive, that's where you use power + volume down and hold for awhile. This is the equivalent of holding the power button on your PC until it just shuts off.

iyox

I am confused about the watch release date. Is the 22nd the release date for the GPS only with GPS + cellular releasing after? Or did I miss the first shipment for preorders and that's why the shipment dates are always in October?

Maximus.

I am confused about the watch release date. Is the 22nd the release date for the GPS only with GPS + cellular releasing after? Or did I miss the first shipment for preorders and that's why the shipment dates are always in October?

You missed the initial batch.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
There are so many reasons and situations where face ID won't work but coming up with those more fringe scenarios is kind of silly.

People will find their workaround. Even if the workaround is a little more inconvenient, Apple is betting on the average person being more forgiving than us nerds give credit for.

I've heard tons of stories throughout the history of iPhone, whereby people cry foul of some change, citing some situation, common or not, and when the time comes 90% of users just change their habits without any complaint.
Fringe scenario? Ok, cool, so what's my workaround? I can tell you right now this isn't a big issue with TouchID as it currently operates.

the scenarios people come up with are amazing.
It's a legitimate situation I run into more than a few times. If you want to handwave it away then why bother replying. Zeypher asked for a scenario and I gave them one.

Top Bottom