• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Information Thread | March 9, 2010 NA/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Anastacio said:
So what Fimbulvetr is saying, we will have english voices (not subs) in the japanese retail version?

No.

Not at all.

And no Japanese voice acting in the English release, either.

7Th

TheChillyAcademic said:
Can we put in the op that it is all but absolutely certain there will not be dual audio ><

Yep; in fact, just write this in the OP: "IMPORT if you want to play the superior version, no way around it, sadly."

Darkpen

Banned
I downloaded and watched the English trailer from the UK store, and omg, the lips are synced for in-game cutscenes! Was this the case for the original "US" video they released a while back? I don't recall. I have to check, but wow, its light and day in terms of immersion between the opening CG and the in-game cutscenes.

The trailer's so exciting whenever I watch it excitedlink.jpg

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Darkpen said:
I downloaded and watched the English trailer from the UK store, and omg, the lips are synced for in-game cutscenes! Was this the case for the original "US" video they released a while back? I don't recall. I have to check, but wow, its light and day in terms of immersion between the opening CG and the in-game cutscenes.

The trailer's so exciting whenever I watch it excitedlink.jpg

Yeah it was, just not the CG.

7Th

Fimbulvetr said:
The version that has Japanese voices, DUH. Because English dubs are always terrible, for serious.

Keep up, guy.

I would totally buy a Spanish dub, though. Or even better, a Catalonian dub. Unlike America, Spain sure knows how to do some good dubbin'.

Darkpen

Banned
Kagari said:
Yeah it was, just not the CG.
So THAT explains why the in-game cutscenes clicked so much better with me on a subconscious level when I originally watched the other trailer! Makes so much sense now D:

daebo

Okay, it's been awhile since I've been in the FFXIII thread... That white PS3 is the most bad ass thing I've seen in awhile... Are there any plans for this console being launched here in the states of any sort?

While I know the games are region free and I could just import it... I would still like to watch movies (afaik) isn't region free (if they are please tell me and I'll import that PS3 like now).

I just stared at that pic for a good 10 minutes :lol

Vrakanox said:
Very excited about the leak tonight. I'm kind of expecting a 7th character. Anyone else?

I hope so, but I doubt that will happen. 6 seems to be all but set in stone, but a surprise 7th character with an awesome design and a scythe would be totally badass.

Wilsongt

I am happy with the six we have... Because, for the first time since FFVIII, there are no furry characters in the party. That's reason enough to celebrate. Despite how awesome Freya was...

duckroll said:
There are only 6 weapon types in the game. There can't be 7 characters. :p

Whose to say 2 characters can't have the same weapon? Wouldn't be the first time it's happened in RPGs with small casts (Guy and Luke from TOTA).

Fimbulvetr said:
Plus, having two pole arm wielders is kind of stupid. :/

Scythe? :lol

What's wrong with a scythe? It's a badass weapon.

I hope someone has a scythe in the game, villain or otherwise. Favorite melee weapon by far.

rataven

I think the main cast will stay at six, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few "special guests" who join the party briefly along the way. Maybe Jihl, ala Beatrix.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Thread is good, but can I make some suggestions?

1) Kill the update list. No one reading this thread for the first time cares what changed between December 2008 and January 2009. If you want to start re-adding updates as they happen, go for it, but right now there's a massive amount of truly useless information to scroll through. Like any changelog, it's nice to see the recent version change to see what you're missing, but you don't really care what changed from version 1.1 to version 1.2 when it's at version 8.15.

If any changes are still interesting, compile them into the information sections directly or pick and choose the best stuff.

2) Make the Odin banner the same width as the main banner so that it doesn't stretch your post on 1280xwhatever.

Cheers.

Aljosa said:
Who's to say the Japanese voices aren't the terrible ones this time? :p

Bububu.... english VA's have no emotion. Especially Lightning, even though it suits her personality.

Apparently I just forgot that the last mainline FF(which shall not be mentioned in this thread) had the one of the best dubs of all time. Waaaaaaaaah.

Hope customization system info is in the new stuff tonight.

*Pours out 40 for the old thread*

It shall be missed.

Stumpokapow said:

1) Kill the update list. No one reading this thread for the first time cares what changed between December 2008 and January 2009. If you want to start re-adding updates as they happen, go for it, but right now there's a massive amount of truly useless information to scroll through. Like any changelog, it's nice to see the recent version change to see what you're missing, but you don't really care what changed from version 1.1 to version 1.2 when it's at version 8.15.

If any changes are still interesting, compile them into the information sections directly or pick and choose the best stuff.

2) Make the Odin banner the same width as the main banner so that it doesn't stretch your post on 1280xwhatever.

Cheers.

I suggest we get rid of the odin banner, it is no longer accurate. Fang is the new hot.

Fimbulvetr said:
Hope customization system info is in the new stuff tonight.

I want some sort of crazy combo between X-2, X and XII when it comes to upgrade system. So fingers crossed.

lorddarkflare said:
I want some sort of crazy combo between X-2, X and XII when it comes to upgrade system. So fingers crossed.

I could actually get behind that. Despite my overall opinion of the game that shall not be named, I actually liked licenses to some extent. Taking the best from all 3 upgrade/level up systems could be potentially awesome.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Stumpokapow said:

Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go through it tonight.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
duckroll said:
The Rules
- Do not make fun of Australian accents, it's not their fault, they already pay twice the price for games which might or might not even come out in their region. :(

what are you implying about Australian accents?

:(

my accent is like a warm hug on a cold day.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
daebo said:
Okay, it's been awhile since I've been in the FFXIII thread... That white PS3 is the most bad ass thing I've seen in awhile... Are there any plans for this console being launched here in the states of any sort?

While I know the games are region free and I could just import it... I would still like to watch movies (afaik) isn't region free (if they are please tell me and I'll import that PS3 like now).

I just stared at that pic for a good 10 minutes :lol

Blu-rays are the same region, but DVDs are Region 2.

hamchan

duckroll said:
The Rules- Do not make fun of Australian accents, it's not their fault, they already pay twice the price for games which might or might not even come out in their region. :(

As an Australian I find this amusing in a sad way :lol :lol T_T

In regards to the characters I think 6 mains is fine. I believe the last entry in the series had the same amount.

cosmicblizzard said:
I could actually get behind that. Despite my overall opinion of the game that shall not be named, I actually liked licenses to some extent. Taking the best from all 3 upgrade/level up systems could be potentially awesome.

Personally, i REALLY liked the icons that game used for the board, and i liked the fact that the upgrades actually had names: Warmage, Head hunter, Adrenaline, Martyr, etc. were all very cool ways to go about naming upgrades and i would love to see something similar.

X-2 had the entire choose which class AND which skills you want to learn. I really liked that, especially when you could splice your skills onto other jobs through the grid/accessory.

As for X, i hated that shitty SG because it microed things that should have been automatic, and unlike the *game that should not be named* there was little choice as to what you did until much later(so it was extremely linear for no reason). The great thing about the SG was that it was immaculately paced. I NEVER had to grind at any point in the game, and that was nice. Not to mention that it allowed me to see what the hell i was upgrading.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
lorddarkflare said:
As for X, i hated that shitty SG because it microed things that should have been automatic, and unlike the *game that should not be named* there was little choice as to what you did until much later(so it was extremely linear for no reason). The great thing about the SG was that it was immaculately paced. I NEVER had to grind at any point in the game, and that was nice. Not to mention that it allowed me to see what the hell i was upgrading.

for FFX did you play the PAL and the international version? There were more options with the Sphere grid.
PAL had an expert and beginner spheregrid and i think the international version had 3 different ones.

I liked the micro and hope it makes a comeback in 13.

nib95

Banned
Holy crap. Awesome OP man. Though one minor thing, actual 720p screens would be nice. No point having small thumbnails that link to only slightly bigger but still small captures.

matmanx1

Man that white Lightning Edition PS3 is sexy! Too bad I have zero other white electronic devices in my game room (the Wii is in the living room) that would match it.

Still, I'd love for NA to get some of the special edition hardware love that Japan is getting for FF13. I mean I know it will never happen but it sure would be nice anyway!

i_am_ben said:
for FFX did you play the PAL and the international version? There were more options with the Sphere grid.
PAL had an expert and beginner spheregrid and i think the international version had 3 different ones.

I liked the micro and hope it makes a comeback in 13.

I played the PAL version.

The problem with the expert grid was that it was made for experts, so if you did not know what you were doing, it was absurdly easy to screw it up.

And it is not so much that i dislike micro, it is just that i prefer it to be presented in a more straight forward format, and actually have it give me choices.

A better way would be if instead of actual numbers, the spheres were like Augments, and i had a better choice of which path i can take(within some perimeters of course).

But i am tired of grids and boards anyways, we need something new.

Shadowlink said:
There might be another weapon type we don't know about yet.

The weapon types weren't officially revealed.

They could be seen through the in game start menu during a conference.

Also, add Agito screens.

I know they exist. :lol

duckroll

Shadowlink said:
There might be another weapon type we don't know about yet.

No you misunderstand. The game has 6 weapon types. It's part of the menu interface. That's how people knew about spears before Fang was announced - from the TGS demo menu.

Fimbulvetr said:
The weapon types weren't officially revealed.

They could be seen through the in game start menu during a conference.

Also, add Agito screens.

I know they exist. :lol

But from what we know, that game has gone through some rather significant revisions, so the screens would most likely be misleading.

duckroll said:
No you misunderstand. The game has 6 weapon types. It's part of the menu interface. That's how people knew about spears before Fang was announced - from the TGS demo menu.
Ahh! So that means only 6 playable characters..... unless one dies.

lorddarkflare said:
But from what we know, that game has gone through some rather significant revisions, so the screens would most likely be misleading.

They show a military school for magic kids with red capes as part of their uniform, I don't think much has changed. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom