• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Information Thread | March 9, 2010 NA/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desi

though i am a fan of Snow's design the most he needs a beard for extra pedo. Really that hair he has flowered over his chin is not enough to give him any kind of edge over a clean shaven guy. Now a beard would make him official. oh and i forgot. I still hate Sazh and his Afro, it is embarrassing. Stop promoting it.

cosmicblizzard said:
I like Snow mainly because he has facial hair. The guy's pretty much a typical bishonen, but the facial hair makes it so he isn't androgynous. I want more designs like this so people can stop with the whole JRPG characters= androgynous pretty boys crap.

As for the other 2, Fang and Sazh I guess. I don't anyone will choose Hope and/or Vanille.

I actually like hope. It is just that Fang makes a threesome so much less awkward.

Also, it should be Fang and Sazh in that picture. I would bet my account(and my left nut) for a week that he ends up tapping that.

lorddarkflare said:
I actually like hope. It is just that Fang makes a threesome so much less awkward.

Also, it should be Fang and Sazh in that picture. I would bet my account for a week that he ends up tapping that.

I have no problem with Hope and am even anticipating his
Super Sayian mode
but child characters aren't usually popular, at least not outside Japan (unless they're popular with the female fanbase which I'm not positive about).

And I agree, Fang and Sazh is a good pair. Wild girl with the old clumsy father. Now that's sexy.

Fimbulvetr said:
Hope isn't too bad.

In fact his personality seems to be the opposite of most "annoying anime kids".

Yeah, instead of cute anime kid, he's the angry anime kid.

...Actually, that's a pretty big archetype too. He's still probably gonna get a lot of hate, but he'll definitely have his fans as well.

Fimbulvetr said:
Hope isn't too bad.

In fact his personality seems to be the opposite of most "annoying anime kids".

Yeah, he seems like he is a bit more aggressive than most, i like that. Unfortunately, i can already the drama that surrounds him, and i do not like where it leads.

Plywood said:
I actually think Hope's english VA will garner him above average status amongst the game's fans.

His VA was fine, better than what we saw with the JPN one, it was the way he moved that bothered me. The head bobbing was sort of odd during the first ENG trailer.

lorddarkflare said:
Yeah, he seems like he is a bit more aggressive than most, i like that. Unfortunately, i can already the drama that surrounds him, and i do not like where it leads.

Can't be angry without some kind of tragic past. That's just how these stories work. At least he'll probably be justified in acting like a douche most of the game.

cosmicblizzard said:
Can't be angry without some kind of tragic past. That's just how these stories work. At least he'll probably be justified in acting like a douche most of the game.

It is the moment that he realizes that he is 'wrong' that i fear.

I would actually like it if he hated Snow all the way through.

Wilsongt

lorddarkflare said:

As long as it's a gradual thing and not an out of the blue, what the fuck, kind of moment that happened between Vaan and Basch.

Wilsongt said:
As long as it's a gradual thing and not an out of the blue, what the fuck, kind of moment that happened between Vaan and Basch.

I actually liked the the Vaan and Basch thing. It was missing a scene or two, but it was nice that we did not stay too long on that part (kind of mature of Vaan, he actually had potential, *sigh*). Vaan's reaction to Vayne near the end was nice too.

But i am sure Hope will do just fine.

lorddarkflare said:

Let's hope the inevitable epiphany is at least presented well. If it is, it could turn out to be a really good and emotional scene.

Does anyone know if the Japanese version has the same English names? Different spellings? Translations? (Hope, Lightning, Snow, etc.)

I'm really looking forward to playing this, but can't get over some of the name choices...

cosmicblizzard said:
Let's hope the inevitable epiphany is at least presented well. If it is, it could turn out to be a really good emotional scene.

Emotion means nothing if the writing itself is sort of wonky. FFX did this a lot. Lots of emotional moments, but whenever i would reason them out....(got to stop myslef, i do not like where i am going with this)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
hypostatic said:
Does anyone know if the Japanese version has the same English names? Different spellings? Translations? (Hope, Lightning, Snow, etc.)

I'm really looking forward to playing this, but can't get over some of the name choices...

They're the same.

Darkpen

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Yeah, instead of cute anime kid, he's the angry anime kid.

...Actually, that's a pretty big archetype too. He's still probably gonna get a lot of hate, but he'll definitely have his fans as well.
If there's one thing I like about Hope, its that his hair and face looks very Disney-channel child-star-esque, in line with Sora and Roxas, but what I like the most is that he sounds his age. You almost never see this sort of thing in most games, so I find his character to be welcome breath of fresh air in the range of regularly-used visual archetypes.

hypostatic said:

Love the avatar.

And no. From what we can guess, the Names are the same across all regions.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So, the White PS3 looks amazing... what do I do?

Luigiv

duckroll said:
- Do not make fun of Australian accents, it's not their fault, they already pay twice the price for games which might or might not even come out in their region. :(
I don't get this rule? What does it have to do with anything?
Got my hopes up that all the English VA would be Australian, but all the voice acting in the trailer sounds American to me.

Shadowlink said:
I'm hoping if this happens, it will be released on XBL/PSN and not releasing with another movie/game.

If they do, my respect for the company will raise exponentially (still won't be very high though). Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

ymmv

Banned
Has the European release date been leaked? Both Play.com and MyMemory.co.uk say the game will be released on June 25 2010.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ymmv said:
Has the European release date been leaked? Both Play.com and MyMemory.co.uk say the game will be released on June 25 2010.
Amazon says June 20th and GameStop says preorders ship June 21st for the U.S. It's worth noting June 20th is a Sunday and in the U.S. there's no mail on Sundays.

Hmm, this is seeming a bit more organized than one retailer putting in a placeholder date.

Edit:

Game Crazy also says June 20th.

ymmv

Banned
Amazon.co.uk: June 25th
Game.co.uk: Q2, 2010
Zavvi/TheHut: March 13?
HMV: 30-11-2010

So a number of British retailers have about the same date as in the US, and a couple of them are seriously confused.

Zavvi releasee dates are notoriously unreliable though. They can't even get the dates right of games one week before they're released.

cosmicblizzard said:

It's not really a tragic past if it happened in-game is it?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
- Do not make fun of Australian accents, it's not their fault, they already pay twice the price for games which might or might not even come out in their region. :(
it's bad, but knowing that you care makes it that little bit better

duckroll

TheChillyAcademic said:
I bet there will, eventually, be an English one.

I'm talking about the possibility of a demo before the JP release date. That's impossible at this time, given the development schedule and approval process.

ymmv said:
Amazon.co.uk: June 25th
Game.co.uk: Q2, 2010
Zavvi/TheHut: March 13?
HMV: 30-11-2010

So a number of British retailers have about the same date as in the US, and a couple of them are seriously confused.

Zavvi releasee dates are notoriously unreliable though. They can't even get the dates right of games one week before they're released.
Wikipedia also says the PAL version is coming in March, but NA in April. I know Wikipedia isn't always right, but that's interesting.

Awntawn

Aljosa said:
Who's to say the Japanese voices aren't the terrible ones this time? :p
I don't know why people always take it personally whenever the localizations of Final Fantasy have been criticized. The fact of the matter is that SE's efforts in that department have been subpar to average at its best, and when you would think they would be pulling out all the stops for what is probably their biggest production ever, they went ahead and regressed from their previous installment in 12.

If you think about it, Sakamoto Maaya alone probably has a larger fanbase in ENGLISH SPEAKING TERRITORIES than the entire cast of the English dub combined. That says something about how much SE cares for the quality of their localizations considering how big the production of the game is. Stop defending their bullshit, English-language FF fans deserve better. They really ought to take a page out of the book of the guys doing the new Castlevania. Get some damn talent for your multi-million unit selling franchise.

Awntawn said:
I don't know why people always take it personally whenever the localizations of Final Fantasy have been criticized. subpar to average at its best,

Less like criticism for this particular dub and more like criticism for every dub in history.

Their big budget console games (cept X arguably) usually have good english VA. FF XII, KH1, KH2, and umm....*shrugs*. :lol

Awntawn said:
I don't know why people always take it personally whenever the localizations of Final Fantasy have been criticized. The fact of the matter is that SE's efforts in that department have been subpar to average at its best, and when you would think they would be pulling out all the stops for what is probably their biggest production ever, they went ahead and regressed from their previous installment in 12.

If you think about it, Sakamoto Maaya alone probably has a larger fanbase in ENGLISH SPEAKING TERRITORIES than the entire cast of the English dub combined. That says something about how much SE cares for the quality of their localizations considering how big the production of the game is. Stop defending their bullshit, English-language FF fans deserve better. They really ought to take a page out of the book of the guys doing the new Castlevania. Get some damn talent for your multi-million unit selling franchise.
I'm a fan of japanese dubs, but to say it's the superior version simply because of that is silly. The reason most people want it is because they can't recognize bad voice-acting in a language they don't understand. And I disagree, the last few SE games had great english voice-acting, especially FFXII. XIII is looking to be close to that level IMO.

Bennettt2

Fimbulvetr said:
Their big budget console games (cept X arguably) usually have good english VA. FF XII, KH1, KH2, and umm....*shrugs*. :lol

I'm playing through X right now and I hear no issues with the VA. All the mains at least seem quite competent in the execution of their lines (and I just passed the laughing scene).

I have to agree with the FF XII VA - peerless!

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Luigiv said:
I don't get this rule? What does it have to do with anything?
Got my hopes up that all the English VA would be Australian, but all the voice acting in the trailer sounds American to me.
:/ i'd watch the trailer again.

Lord Phol

The PS3 special edition looks great, makes one drool :eek:.
The cover not so much though, hope it isn't final (for PAL-territory).

mujun

Shadowlink said:
I don't think so because they released a demo with ACC. I'm hoping we get a demo before the NA release though.

Lucky it's nice and easy to grab demos from any region. Fingers crossed for a demo in NA then :D

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lord Phol said:
The PS3 special edition looks great, makes one drool :eek:.
The cover not so much though, hope it isn't final (for PAL-territory).
Isn't it obvious that PAL-land will get this
FFXIII.JPG

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom