• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Information Thread | March 9, 2010 NA/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darkpen said:
If there's one thing I like about Hope, its that his hair and face looks very Disney-channel child-star-esque, in line with Sora and Roxas, but what I like the most is that he sounds his age. You almost never see this sort of thing in most games, so I find his character to be welcome breath of fresh air in the range of regularly-used visual archetypes.

He reminds me alot of Riku for whatever reason. Young and mature but with emotions that will overtake him. I like that

Seiken said:
Isn't it obvious that PAL-land will get this
FFXIII.JPG

?

The logo looks full of infusion but hopefully they will put more in the background for PAL terrorities than just "white"

Also, can somebody tell me how to actually pronounce I'Cie and fal'Cie? It just comes out from my mouth as I-see-ah and fall-see-ah. I don't think that's right

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah. Final Fantasy PAL copies are great like that - nothing but white background and the logo. Bloody tormenting during the PS1/PS2 days though. Just try slogging through FFIX with that shitty slow battle system for 40+ hours and you'll know what I mean.

gamergirly said:
The logo looks full of infusion but hopefully they will put more in the background for PAL terrorities than just "white"
Never been that way and I doubt they will start now after 12 years of doing it.

gamergirly said:
Also, can somebody tell me how to actually pronounce I'Cie and fal'Cie? It just comes out from my mouth as I-see-ah and fall-see-ah. I don't think that's right
it's actually L'Cie but with a lower-case L.

emphasis in bold:
luh-see
fal-see

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Seiken said:
Isn't it obvious that PAL-land will get this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/FFXIII.JPG[IMG]
?[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i34.tinypic.com/e8ak1x.png

That would be perfect. It would send my mind right back into a time machine when I see the game laying like that in store.

Luigiv

i_am_ben said:
:/ i'd watch the trailer again.
Hmm, maybe I should try listening to it side by side with some American VA then, to make sure. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference when I'm so familiar with both (I blame TV).

Teetris said:
That would be perfect. It would send my mind right back into a time machine when I see the game laying like that in store.
Word. I would love it to be like that. Seeing all the covers side by side would look really cool.

duckroll said:
I'm talking about the possibility of a demo before the JP release date. That's impossible at this time, given the development schedule and approval process.

Ah yes, there's no way in hell lol

Given SE's love affair with bundling demos with games, I can see a quickly translated version of the ACC demo appearing before it's Western release.

Teetris said:
e8ak1x.png

I hope so all main ff game have be just logo n pal and jap

jap box art look shit its look more like somthing usa get not jap

Let's just remember Square Enix Europe has undergone major structure changes and most of the decision making there now has been handed off to the people who previous ran Eidos. Hopefully they don't fuck it all up like Square Enix USA.

APZonerunner said:
Let's just remember Square Enix Europe has undergone major structure changes and most of the decision making there now has been handed off to the people who previous ran Eidos. Hopefully they don't fuck it all up like Square Enix USA.

Eh, its too close to the JP release for there to be any significant changes to its release. Now games coming in the future, BBS, Agito, Versus, hopefully they will be taken care of.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Eh, its too close to the JP release for there to be any significant changes to its release. Now games coming in the future, BBS, Agito, Versus, hopefully they will be taken care of.

I meant the box and anything like that - special edition etc and I'll bet that stuff is being talked about and worked out right now - and the office move, employees being let go and the rest was 2 weeks ago. A few people I've worked with for years on the SE side of things were let go in favor of the larger Eidos infrastructure. :(

APZonerunner said:
I meant the box and anything like that - special edition etc and I'll bet that stuff is being talked about and worked out right now - and the office move, employees being let go and the rest was 2 weeks ago. A few people I've worked with for years on the SE side of things were let go in favor of the larger Eidos infrastructure. :(

Ah I see, yeah good point. I have to wonder where Nomura and Shimomura will sit when the dust clears. Nomura essentially does whatever the hell he wants (well, within the confines that those higher on the echelon set) and Shimomura has to be working on nearly six different games.

Whatever their projection for the length of development the FNC would take must have been way off the mark.

I doubt there'll be any changes in Japan, other than the couple hundred people they cut when they sliced the fat off several of their teams last month. The Square Enix Europe changes are because they're going to be managing production of all the Eidos games made in Europe, which'll include stuff like Kane & Lynch and Hitman as well as publishing all the Eidos & traditional Square output.

Hobbun

cosmicblizzard said:
Yeah, I'm curious how this "Sphere Grid type system" will work.

So is there going to be some sort of sphere grid system? Or did the quotes represent that is just a placeword you used?

I hope it is something like or similar to X's Sphere Grid. The sphere grid is still my favorite character growth system.

Hobbun said:
So is there going to be some sort of sphere grid system? Or did the quotes represent that is just a placeword you used?

I hope it is something like or similar to X's Sphere Grid. The sphere grid is still my favorite character growth system.

V/X-2's please.

Better yet, i would like to see them take a western approach to upgrading, that would be cool.

Awntawn

Aljosa said:
I'm a fan of japanese dubs, but to say it's the superior version simply because of that is silly. The reason most people want it is because they can't recognize bad voice-acting in a language they don't understand. And I disagree, the last few SE games had great english voice-acting, especially FFXII. XIII is looking to be close to that level IMO.
It's silly to say that a version is superior because it is in its native written language without any forced translations with actual proven voice talent as opposed to the version auditioning random actors off the street with dialogue forced into the time synchs and situations of another language? And note, these are handicaps forced by the way the story is written; the script written without any regard for a translation, and the structure of the production undertaken for the Japanese version first without any regard regard for the localization. And as for the talent, that's just the nail in the coffin as far as lack of effort goes.

Not to mention the people who do understand both languages and can tell quite clearly when one version is better than the other. All games have voice acting these days. There is a scale of good to bad in Japanese and a scale of good to bad in English. There's a relative standard that these performances can be graded on that does not include just Final Fantasies, SE games, or even JRPGs. The English voices in the trailers are way below average for a AAA title, period.

While I admit what you say is true, some people just go JP ONRY for the sake of otaku-ness and whatnot. And while they may be idiots in their reasoning, in this case they just so happen to be right.

Fimbulvetr said:
It's not really a tragic past if it happened in-game is it?

Past, present, future. It doesn't matter if it happens early on and shapes his personality for most of the game. If he's a kind hearted kid for 2 hours and a hot blooded douche for 38 as a result of some tragic occurence, it might as well be a tragic past.

Hobbun said:

They said that at one point, but I haven't really been keeping up so I'm not positive.

cosmicblizzard said:
Past, present, future. It doesn't matter if it happens early on and shapes his personality for most of the game. If he's a kind hearted kid for 2 hours and a hot blooded douche for 38, it might as well be a tragic past.

Read Episode Zero. He's kind of a douche then too. :lol

Awntawn said:
It's silly to say that a version is superior because it is in its native written language without any forced translations with actual proven voice talent as opposed to the version auditioning random actors off the street with dialogue forced into the time synchs and situations of another language? And note, these are handicaps forced by the way the story is written; the script written without any regard for a translation, and the structure of the production undertaken for the Japanese version first without any regard regard for the localization. And as for the talent, that's just the nail in the coffin as far as lack of effort goes.

Not to mention the people who do understand both languages and can tell quite clearly when one version is better than the other. All games have voice acting these days. There is a scale of good to bad in Japanese and a scale of good to bad in English. There's a relative standard that these performances can be graded on that does not include just Final Fantasies, SE games, or even JRPGs. The English voices in the trailers are way below average for a AAA title, period.

While I admit what you say is true, some people just go JP ONRY for the sake of otaku-ness and whatnot. And while they may be idiots in their reasoning, in this case they just so happen to be right.
Fair enough, I see what you mean. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not really bothered by bad voice-acting if the writing is very good. You have a great point about the translation, if that turns out bad then the voice-acting wouldn't even matter and the native Japanese version will be much better.

Again, it might just be me but the voices in the trailer sounded pretty good except for the CGI scenes which weren't synced properly. Everyone sounds atleast decent with my favourites being Hope, Lightning, and Snowe. I have faith in Square to deliver in this category just like they did with XII.

Skilletor

Soundwave superior, Constructacons inferior.

The one in the language I can understand will be superior to the version in the language that I do not. English voices in the TGS trailer sounded great to me when everybody started getting emotional.

Awntawn said:

Your first paragraph hurts my brain, so i will have to read it at another time, but i *think* that i agree with you.

One thing i will say is that while the voices are not the greatest, they are not that bad. Some of them are actually 'good.'

The biggest problem i see so far is the atrocious delivery and what looks like meh dialogue/translation.

RPGSite where I write for just published an interview with Troy Baker who plays Yuri in Tales of Vesperia, Kanji in Persona 4 and a bunch of other stuff... a guy who people in this thread was speculating would play Snow as they recognised his voice from Yuri and Kanji.

Anyway, in the interview he's talking about the size of the Vesperia script...
So I got the role, and I had no idea what I was in for. There’s a game that I’m working on right now that I think is going to come close, but we worked for 3 months on that game. I walk in and, a lot of times you’re handed a script – a 150 page script, 200 page script, something like that, maybe more – and I said, “Where’s the script?” And they said, “It’s behind you” and I said “all I see are 4 binders.” They said, “That’s the script.” [laughs]

And then a little later he namedrops FF specifically. FF13 script similar in length to Vesperia, then? Not as long perhaps as he says close.

Just sayin'.

EDIT: Would help if I provided a link to the full thing.

imtehman

Banned
Awntawn said:

period? :lol

are you one of those otaku-ness type people with idiotic reasoning? The voices sound great to me, its just the ridiculous japanese drama dialogue that's ridiculous, something that english as to attune itself to

I do wish FFXIII came out with japanese voices ONLY in the U.S. though, see how many americans like the "superior" version

You know I kind of agree.
While I've always been happy with the plain logo covers (hey, it's a mainstream title FF, don't get those very often :lol ), I think I'd prefer something a little less... simple.

Im on a media blackout until it hits. I've pretty much ignored all info about the game and will continue to do so until it's released. Still pissed it isn't coming out in the US this year >(

Awntawn

imtehman said:
period? :lol

are you one of those otaku-ness type people with idiotic reasoning? The voices sound great to me, its just the ridiculous japanese drama dialogue that's ridiculous, something that english as to attune itself to

I do wish FFXIII came out with japanese voices ONLY in the U.S. though, see how many americans like the "superior" version
Compared to AAA Western titles, and even some of the stuff that Japanese devs that care like Capcom has put out this gen? FFXIII is a substantial notch lower. People are letting them off the hook with lowered standards like "for a JRPG". Which would be understandable if they made concerted efforts and it still ended up sub-par. But when there is clearly room for improvement in terms of both process and personnel, I don't understand how anyone can still argue that their efforts have anything but shameful considering how many units they're expecting to sell internationally.

And yes, the "ridiculous japanese drama dialogue" is one of the things that I am talking about. They really take zero consideration whatsoever to the fact that this is going to be an international product when they are doing stuff such as writing the script in the first place. Their whole localization philosophy is flawed from the core and they have taken steps backwards in that regard with this game from the previous... and you're trying to defend it?

Awntawn said:
Compared to AAA Western titles, and even some of the stuff that Japanese devs that care like Capcom has put out this gen? FFXIII is a substantial notch lower. People are letting them off the hook with lowered standards like "for a JRPG". Which would be understandable if they made concerted efforts and it still ended up sub-par. But when there is clearly room for improvement in terms of both process and personnel, I don't understand how anyone can still argue that their efforts have anything but shameful considering how many units they're expecting to sell internationally.

And yes, the "ridiculous japanese drama dialogue" is one of the things that I am talking about. They really take zero consideration whatsoever to the fact that this is going to be an international product when they are doing stuff such as writing the script in the first place. Their whole localization philosophy is flawed from the core and they have taken steps backwards in that regard with this game from the previous... and you're trying to defend it?
Now we know you are crazy.

FFXIII's dub is perfectly fine.

Awntawn said:

*slow clap*

Seriously though, i agree with the last paragraph especially.

Fimbulvetr said:
Some of what awn says is true, but period?

I would disagree.

And Hope's English VA thinks:

sg51tl.jpg

"THE SAME THING!"

Yeah, he is actually pretty good. Snow is not too bad either. Lightning's VA is fine, but she has pretty terrible delivery.

imtehman

Banned
Awntawn said:

you're comparing fucking full games to a 7 minute trailer and you've already figured out from those few lines of dubb that the rest of the 49h and 53m of dub in the game is going to be crap?

Slap yourself.

How do you even begin to try to objectify FFXIII dub being a "substantial notch" lower with a 7 minute trailer is beyond me, but then again, i'm of the opinion that you've made up your mind that the english voice over was going to be bad even before you even heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom