• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a 16-year-old Canadian girl took down Milo Yiannopoulos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Lae

We often follow American politics more so than our own.

Especially when it's infinitely more interesting/frightening.

It's sort of telling that the biggest story about Trudeau in the past few weeks was him answering an English question in French.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Especially when it's infinitely more interesting/frightening.

It's sort of telling that the biggest story about Trudeau in the past few weeks was him answering an English question in French.

I wish America could go back to this, I miss when I didn't dread the news.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't feel like a 16 year old has enough life experience to have a useful view on fiscal policies.

Of course, i think that about 99.99% of us so i guess that's a worthless complaint for me to make.

Slayven

I would have just let the Reagan Battalion take the heat. She is going to be such a huge target now to the very worst of the worst alt-right Nazi scum the internet has to offer.

That said, she did an amazing thing, and society owes her a huge debt for escalating the downfall of such a shitstain.

Yeah i wouldn't have come forward, no one want Gamer Gate problems.

I got to laugh that her and her family did it out of concern for the The Right. If only folks on the left had that much care in them

andthebeatgoeson

giphy.gif
Why is Pam Anderson's tits moving? So much for the tolerant left.

Mr.Mike

I find what modern conservatives define ad fiscal conservatism nearly as reprehensible as social conservatism. Good on this girl but the economic policies of Republicans does just as much if not more harm than their social policies.

16 year old conservative accomplishes in days what liberals spent years trying to do.

oneils

I find what modern conservatives define ad fiscal conservatism nearly as reprehensible as social conservatism. Good on this girl but the economic policies of Republicans does just as much if not more harm than their social policies.

She's Canadian. Fiscal conservatism means something much different, here, than what it means according to GOP.

collige

Banned
I don't feel like a 16 year old has enough life experience to have a useful view on fiscal policies.

Of course, i think that about 99.99% of us so i guess that's a worthless complaint for me to make.

I feel like basing your political views off your personal anecdotal experiences is a fundamentally flawed way of thinking.

Mr.Mike

I feel like by that point I was an atheist libertarian, stereotypical as it sounds. I've since become a lot better informed and developed my thinking a bunch, to the point where I wouldn't really call myself a libertarian anymore, and I definitely don't care about religion much anymore. But overall the values that might have lead me to those viewpoints remained mostly the same.

I suspect she's not really a libertarian either, but would fit in better with a certain emerging faction of the centre-right that doesn't really have a label yet but is trying to reclaim "neoliberal".

Anyway, if anyone here is a Canadian over the age of 14, please consider joining the Conservative Party of Canada before March 28 so you can vote in the leadership election in May. Help us save what remains of the Progressive Conservative party, please and thank you.

This 16 year old girl is smarter on this topic than most of us us 20+ oldies.

“I see Milo as this embodiment of the awfulness you see over the past few years with the general tilt of millennial conservatism...It’s diverged from this traditional conservatism so much. You’ve seen it essentially become full of awfulness and all about attacking the left and not about actual principles. It has nothing to do with conservative ideology so much as it has with opposing the leftists, SJWs, and so on and so forth.”

“He’d be more accurately described as anti-liberal than he would be conservative.”

“Hopefully they’ll realize that you can’t keep being this reactionary movement — if you can even call it that. You can’t just keep looking for enemies to attack and pointing the finger. Eventually, you have to stand up for something.”

She didn’t think she’d have much luck spreading the news herself with her small Twitter following, so she contacted a conservative outlet to get the story out. She figured a liberal outlet would have less credibility among CPAC followers.

She landed on the previously not-very-well-known conservative blog Reagan Battalion, which, after a bit of back and forth, tweeted out the video — leading not just to CPAC canceling Yiannopoulos’s speech, but to Simon & Schuster pulling his already controversial book deal and his resignation from Breitbart.​

Mr.Mike

Shit she really hit the nail on the head. Say what you will about conservative ideology, at least they had one instead of just endlessly bitching about muh sjws whenever they do something shitty.

It's something being discussed in Canadian right-leaning circles. Recently its come up because of the reaction of certain right-wingers to a Parliamentary motion to denounce Islamophobia.

Harper tried to build a big tent party. His successors are burning it down.

In 2006, several months after becoming prime minister, Stephen Harper traveled to Washington to meet President George W. Bush. At a private dinner hosted by Canada's newly-appointed ambassador, Michael Wilson, the subject of diversity and immigration came up.

There, in the presence of Bush's campaign guru Karl Rove and several U.S. cabinet ministers (Bush didn't attend himself), Harper explained how the Liberal party had traditionally been the party of immigrants in Canada — and that he was determined to change that. He told his American guests that Canada's immigrant communities had the right-of-centre family values that should make them feel perfectly at home in the Conservative party.

Harper then warned his guests that the Republican Party should be aware of the demographic changes that were sweeping America and made it clear that if they failed to attract the votes of Hispanic Americans, they eventually would pay a heavy electoral price.

It all came apart in the final desperate days of the 2015 election, of course, when a desperate Conservative party cavorted openly with anti-immigrant voters and launched the ill-fated ‘barbaric cultural practices' snitch line. Since their defeat, the Conservatives have been flailing around looking for direction. Devoid of attractive alternatives who can actually unify the party and make it a viable centre-right option, the leadership race has devolved into a mosh pit of candidates who will literally say anything to get attention.

All of this has led to the Conservatives' shameful response to the anti-Islamaphobia motion brought by Liberal MP Iqra Khalid. Ignorant, blind hatred of Islam as a religion is, unfortunately, present in Canada and deserves to be denounced by the House of Commons, particularly after the mosque attack in Quebec City. The cesspool of online hate that has flooded into Khalid's inbox since she proposed the motion is proof that Islamophobia is a homegrown reality here.

The Tories approach a point of no return: This week's debate over ‘Islamophobia' highlights the need for the Tories to root out the fringe forces rapidly dumbing down their party

There are quite a few lessons in civic hygiene that might be drawn from the jamboree of bigot-baiting and mob incitement attending to the shabbily-drafted but otherwise sensible Liberal motion on the contested subject of ”Islamophobia" that has preoccupied the House of Commons this week.

The dirty work of hysterical plot-speculation and its normalization was what party leadership hopefuls Brad Trost, Kellie Leitch, Chris Alexander and Pierre Lemieux were up to on Wednesday night in Toronto at an ”emergency rally" organized by a website notorious for its huckstering of the angry and the ill-informed with far-right crank excitements and conspiracy theories. The event was convened at Canada Christian College, a minor institution run by the extremist cleric Charles McVety, a veteran axe-grinder about same-sex marriage and evolutionary theory.

More than 1,000 people showed up at the Wednesday event, and they were regaled with fanciful evidences that Khalid's motion is part of a plot to elevate Islam above other religions, impose Islamic blasphemy laws on Canadians, extend special treatment to Muslims and persecute Canadians who express criticism of Islam. Trost, Leitch, Alexander and Lemieux were happy to go along with this, tossing in their own spins about terrorism and the stifling of free speech.

There have been so many transparently baseless and jackass alarums raised about Khalid's motion that it is pointless to enumerate them all here, and in any case they will flourish regardless of the facts. Because of this, it will require a great deal of patience and moral courage among Conservatives to at long last get around to rooting out the idiot bloc in their midst.

”Racism" doesn't quite cover it. ”Hatred" doesn't quite get at it. Whatever term you like, it's more than merely ironic that those who make the most hysterical claims about clandestine Islamic conspiracies at the centre of Justin Trudeau's government are also the ones shouting the loudest that an irrational fear of Islam isn't even a thing.

It's not as though the Liberals are blameless in all this. They could have welcomed O'Toole's efforts at reaching out to find a compromise, but they didn't. And the Liberals do seem quite content to have the Conservatives squirming and chafing against the appearance that the reason they object to the term Islamophobia is that they themselves are Islamophobic, whatever that might mean. It is not as though it bothers the Liberals that the Conservatives are stuck with the crazy talk coming from several of the leadership candidates these days.

Trudeau may have given away more than he intended last week when he was confronted at a community meeting in Iqaluit about why he reneged on his electoral reform promises. Raising the spectre of proportional representation opening the door to ”fringe" parties, Trudeau asked, rhetorically: ”Do you think that Kellie Leitch should have her own party?"

Clearly, Trudeau doesn't want that. For starters, it would mean decent Conservatives couldn't be tarred so easily with the indecencies committed by the party's fringe factions. It would mean bigot-baiting the Conservative Party would be that much harder to do. In the meantime, it's up to the Conservatives to get themselves sorted, and after the sordid events of the past few days, their options are limited:

Isolate, quarantine, amputate or purge.

Hysteria from Conservatives over harmless motion on Islamophobia

Conservatism used to have some claim to being a coherent political philosophy. Of late it has become a series of dares. The most extreme voice will lay down the most extreme position, then challenge others to endorse it.

As often as not this has nothing to do with conservatism. It is rather a kind of moral exhibitionism, populist virtue-signalling, in which the object is to say and do the most intolerant or ill-considered thing that comes to mind — anything that might attract the condemnation of bien-pensants in the media and elsewhere, whose opposition becomes proof in itself of its merits.

The willingness to court such controversy in turn becomes the test of political purity. To demur, conversely, can only be a sign of cowardice, or worse, liberalism, a heresy that that would seem to have overcome much of the conservative movement, to judge by the ever-lengthening list of the excommunicated.

Of course at this point Andrew Coyne is apparently on the far-left if certain internet commentators are to be believed, so maybe all hope is lost.

Mr.Mike

She is in her own words, very socially left leaning. She isn't a conservative just because she has some right leaning ideas on economics.

I think social conservatism is largely dead in the youth, at least in so far as the major issues of the previous decade go. Maybe new issues will come up this generation will be socially conservative about, but until then, at some point we're gonna have to stop using it as some sort of pre-req for the conservative label.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I think social conservatism is dead in the youth. It's not a useless term yet, but at some point we're gonna have to stop using it as some sort of pre-req for the conservative label.

The Liberal party in Canada is also right leaning on economics, and so are the Democrats. When I hear "Conservative", it's usually in regards to social policies.

The Liberal party in Canada is also right leaning on economics, and so are the Democrats. When I hear "Conservative", it's usually in regards to social policies.
false

the Liberal Party is Centrist on economics.

The Lefty-Left have the bad habbit of labeling everyone else as "Conservative" which is disengnous

It's something being discussed in Canadian right-leaning circles. Recently its come up because of the reaction of certain right-wingers to a Parliamentary motion to denounce Islamophobia.

Harper tried to build a big tent party. His successors are burning it down.

The Tories approach a point of no return: This week’s debate over ‘Islamophobia’ highlights the need for the Tories to root out the fringe forces rapidly dumbing down their party

Hysteria from Conservatives over harmless motion on Islamophobia

Of course at this point Andrew Coyne is apparently on the far-left if certain internet commentators are to be believed, so maybe all hope is lost.

Moral exhibitionism is a great description.

The GOP trotting out Tea partiers in their primaries was largely this. Have people react to the extreme fringes, prop up a relatively moderate candidate, then paint liberals as attacking party straw men.

The Trump election cycle was such a complete status change that it took both sides by surprise. Now, no matter what extreme thing he said, party loyalty was measured by your ability to look the other way and laugh off accusations that it made him unqualified.

Milo, like Ms Coulter, was celebrated for his ability to churn out liberal disgust, even without worthwhile political views. Now that they have the power they wanted for the past 8 years, Milo and his ilk are little more than a sideshow inconvenience to succeeding in their real political goals.

This 16 year old girl is smarter on this topic than most of us us 20+ oldies.

“I see Milo as this embodiment of the awfulness you see over the past few years with the general tilt of millennial conservatism...It’s diverged from this traditional conservatism so much. You’ve seen it essentially become full of awfulness and all about attacking the left and not about actual principles. It has nothing to do with conservative ideology so much as it has with opposing the leftists, SJWs, and so on and so forth.”

“He’d be more accurately described as anti-liberal than he would be conservative.”

“Hopefully they’ll realize that you can’t keep being this reactionary movement — if you can even call it that. You can’t just keep looking for enemies to attack and pointing the finger. Eventually, you have to stand up for something.”

She didn’t think she’d have much luck spreading the news herself with her small Twitter following, so she contacted a conservative outlet to get the story out. She figured a liberal outlet would have less credibility among CPAC followers.

She landed on the previously not-very-well-known conservative blog Reagan Battalion, which, after a bit of back and forth, tweeted out the video — leading not just to CPAC canceling Yiannopoulos’s speech, but to Simon & Schuster pulling his already controversial book deal and his resignation from Breitbart.​

She played the political game to a tee damn.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
false

the Liberal Party is Centrist on economics.

The Lefty-Left have the bad habbit of labeling everyone else as "Conservative" which is disengnous

Trudeau has swung it back. But the Liberal Party under Chretien and Martin were center-right economically.

Trudeau has swung it back. But the Liberal Party under Chretien and Martin were center-right economically.

after H.W. Bush, Major and Mulroney... Canada, the US and the UK then switched to a 3rd Way on cleaning up after the previous Conservative governments.

Chretien-Martin, Clinton, Blair

it was a reaction to dig the West out of the recession hole the the Right dumped the Western world into
-------

Chretien and Martin were the only Prime Ministers who ever recorded consecutive Surpluses.

Past Liberal Prime Ministers such as St-Laurent, Pearson and P. Trudeau were stereotypical spending Liberals.
Chretien was the first to buck the trend

jstripes

Banned

Even then, your typical Canadian conservative is socially far to the left of American conservatives. Once social issues are settled on a national level, like gay marriage and multiculturalism in decades past, they're considered off the table for discussion. Aside from the occasional far-right idiot who wants to stir things up, of course. In American politics, things like that are never considered settled.

Mr.Mike

Canadian politics is comically moderate, besides the recent right-wing populism, when compared to batshit US politics, but I don't think that's really true.

It's true that all of the parties have come to support free trade (although the NDP's support has been very tepid...), and they all preach the virtue of balanced budgets, with the exception of the Liberals in the last election. But they all have different views on the extent and manner of government intervention and influence in the economy.

The Conservatives believe things will work themselves out if there are good conditions in place. Generally they would prefer a lesser amount of regulation. Unfortunately all but one of the current leadership candidates aren't taking climate change seriously. But the one who is, Michael Chong, proposes a very conservative and market-oriented solution. A revenue neutral carbon tax of $130 per tonne while reducing environmental regulations, so as to create incentive to reduce emissions while allowing the market to find the most efficient ways to reduce emissions. That said, most of the party is super against carbon taxation, but I hope conservatives will come around on it. On the matter of income supplementation, Harper introduced the Working Income Tax Benefit to boost the incomes of those making between 3 and 18 thousand dollars a year, with the max benefit being paid to those earning between 7 and 11.5 thousand dollars a year. It's a conservative version of basic income, but intended to encourage people to work, and help people not get stuck in welfare traps. Although maybe he was a bit stingy with the amount of the WITB. Chong has proposed doubling it.

The Liberals are also actually pretty pro-market. But they don't mind regulation, and certainly they would never support the reductions in environmental regulations Chong is proposing. They do support, and have introduced, carbon taxation. Although they aren't particularly interested in it being revenue neutral. And while Harper did perform deficit stimulus spending, he would consider that an emergency response, and would want to balance the budget once things are back to normal. The current Liberals though, are quite fine with deficit spending even now that things have stabilized. On the matter of income supplementation their platform calls for an unconditional basic income, and there are pilot programs testing it underway.

I don't know nearly as much about the NDP's policies. But generally they're much less trusting of markets and more supportive of more direct market interventions.

Dabanton

For her sake. I hope no one at the conservative outlet she got to push the story has anyone sympathetic to Milo and his goons. If her identity gets leaked that's probably where it will come from.

Mr.Mike

Actually, the very first principle of the CPC, as per its constitution, declares "A belief in a balance between fiscal accountability, progressive social policy and individual rights and responsibilities". They've left themselves some room there for interpretation, but these are the principles that you have to actively support to be a member of the party. No I don't think they're really as socially progressive as everyone else, but this is Canada, and social conservatism loses elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom