• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where are the Arcade Racers?

Lettuce

Looking forward to 80's Overdrive on the 3DS....

screen02.png

and what happened to, The 90's Arcade Racer Kickstarter game??...

large.jpg

Horizon Chase.

It started out on Mobile and is expanding to Consoles/PC and Mac. Those versions will have expanded content above and beyond the mobile versions.

PS4 Horizon Chase Page
Youtube video of an interview with the Brazilian team discussing the game with nice rolling footage of the game in the background.
PS4 Footage

As some others have said OP, if you enjoy a genre of games that are no longer being produced on the platform of your choice, go where the games are. Whether that's mobile, handheld, PC, or classic consoles you have plenty of choices.

Horizon Chase is coming to every platform under the sun and it's a great game. Right now I have it on Android and I plan to get the Steam version once it is available.

I still believe that Split/Second had the makings of a god-tier franchise. It's a shame it didn't catch on because the concept was absolutely genius.
Yes, that game was insane! In a perfect world it would've gone on to become the next Burnout. I still don't understand why it didn't have more of an impact.

DedValve

Banned
I still believe that Split/Second had the makings of a god-tier franchise. It's a shame it didn't catch on because the concept was absolutely genius.

Split/Second was basically your favorite part of Uncharted 2 except crazier and its only that part for 2-5 adrenaline destroying minutes.

God I can't wait for that and Blur to be on xbox BC.

schopaia

Made the same observation a few months ago. Then I bought a Dreamcast with all the racers I missed out on in 1999 (Sega Rally 2, Daytona 2001, F355 Challenge, Hydro Thunder and Tokyo Extreme Racer 2). Eyeing Metropolis Street Racer, but that seems like it may have aged somewhat poorly.

I do wish there had been a good snowboard or jetski game, but I have a couple n64 virtual console games for those.

Oneself

I'd say the 2 best are Driveclub & Forza Horizon 3.

Other than that, Trackmania is fantastic and Horizon Chase is coming (PS4).

The Argus

Horizon 3 has filled this void for me. Its filled many voids actually, I no longer feel so cold. Easily my favorite racer in a long long time.

Celine

Raw Thrills is making Cruisn' Blast (published by Nintendo), which comes out later this year. I wonder if there will be an NX port.
Seems to be arcade exclusive.

EDIT:
Wow, the Cruis'n series sold 70K arcade cabinets. That's a big figure for the '90s arcade scene.

Bedlam

It too bad Blur didn't sell too well.:/ That was quite a enjoyable game.

As far as I can remember, both these games came out at the same time and cannibalized each others sales. Really unfortunate, with some time in between, both games might've sold better somewhat.

Duxxy3

Sony gave up on all of their arcade racers. Nintendo abandoned F-Zero. It's basically just Forza Horizon for manufacturers.

The third party arcade racers have largely been killed off. Need for Speed is no longer a yearly release. Burnout is dead. Blur and Split Second were one and done. Ridge Racer is gone.

SpokkX

I also love arcade racers like F-Zero, Wave Race, Outrun 2 and Ridge Racer. I cant stand simulation racing like GT/Forza etc

Forza Horizon 3 however - is an amazing arcade racer (it has a nice arcady control with great drifting mechanics) . Easily the best I have played this generation and perhaps even counting the last generation

Wait....what? Criterion has cancelled the spiritual successor to Burnout?! Or is that still being made by a bunch of people that have since left the company?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not only Split Second but Pure was pretty awesome as well.

I miss classic AM2 Sega arcade racers. Nothing else truly came close for me.

I know Forza Horizon 3 isn't a pure arcade racer but it's the next best thing to NFS Rivals from earlier this gen. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

PURE, Black Rock's first game, was incredible as well. People spent last gen complaining about the lack of a new SSX, but that's basically what PURE was. Except you were on quad bikes instead of a snowboard.

Zero83

People apperently want driving simulators, that's mainly what's on the market today. Gran Turismo, Forza, Project Cars etc. That's not for me.

At least there was Mario Kart 8 and Fast Racing Neo for me this gen, but I miss something like Burnout 3 or Ridge Racer. Why aren't more PS2 and PS3 games available for download on my PS4? I kinda feel like rebuying a PS3 at this point.

Wait....what? Criterion has cancelled the spiritual successor to Burnout?! Or is that still being made by a bunch of people that have since left the company?
Ex Criterion Team members created their own studio Three Fields Entertainment. They teased about a Burnout spiritual successor last October, but not much is known about it at the moment.

USGamer Article

Out now:

Distance
Redout
GRIP
Trackmania Turbo
Krautscape
Formula Fusion
Road Redemption
Carmageddon Max Damage
Wreckfest

In developmemt:

Drive Drive Drive
Drift Stage
90s Arcade Racer
Power Drive 2000
Aya Blaze
Burnout spiritual successor

JaseMath

Out now:

Distance
Redout
GRIP
Trackmania Turbo
Krautscape
Formula Fusion
Road Redemption
Carmageddon Max Damage
Wreckfest

In developmemt:

Drive Drive Drive
Drift Stage
90s Arcade Racer
Power Drive 2000
Aya Blaze

This isn't happening anymore. Also, what is that neon Tron-looking game?

BiggNife

Yeah, the pure arcade racer just isn't in style anymore. The closest you'll get is stuff like the latest Need For Speeds and Forza Horizon, but they're more of a hybrid of sim and arcade in comparison to something like Ridge Racer or Daytona (and you're talking to someone who thinks Forza Horizon 3 is pretty damn good).

Out now:

Distance
Redout
GRIP
Trackmania Turbo
Krautscape
Formula Fusion
Road Redemption
Carmageddon Max Damage
Wreckfest

In developmemt:

Drive Drive Drive
Drift Stage
90s Arcade Racer
Power Drive 2000
Aya Blaze

Worth mentioning that Distance, GRIP, Formula Fusion, Road redemption, and Wreckfest are all in Early Access and are not officially done. Distance is pretty cool but it's still not a finished product yet.

Looking forward to 80's Overdrive on the 3DS....

and what happened to, The 90's Arcade Racer Kickstarter game??...

large.jpg

It's getting published by Nicalis now which means we'll get radio silence for another year and then it'll come out of nowhere with zero marketing and a lot of bugs. It's a shame, it looked pretty promising.

I though drive club and horizon 3 leaned towards sim? Particularly the latter.

The Horizon series is not nearly as sim-like as the mainline Forza series. The handling is a little looser and there's more of a focus on arcadey stuff like drifting and reckless driving. Granted, I definitely think it straddles the line between sim and arcade. It's certainly not Burnout.

Well there's driveclub.

For some who loves Burnout, Ridge Racer etc Drive Club might as well be a full on racing sim. It certainly doesn't feel like an arcade racer to me.

So many of these suggestions are Steam games. I don't have (nor do I want) a Steam account. I should've clarified in the OP that there are no real console arcade racers on the horizon.

Most of the mentioned games will wind up on console if you are allergic to PC gaming. Mario Kart 8 is also pretty great.

v1lla21

Idk and I hate it :( driveclub isn't a pure arcade game as it falls inbetween. Really good game though. Forza Horizon is in the same boat it is goddamn amazing.

This literally has me considering an Xbox purchase.

I've never owned an Xbox of any generation.
I bought an xbox just to play the game. I'm loving it.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Need for Speed 2015, Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2/3 are the closest we have this gen. All good games.

Nothing compares to Split/Second though.

NOTHING!

Trackmania Turbo is cool though.

Horizon Chase is AMAZING, and plays like a dream with a controller too. I've had it on my OUYA for quite some time and love it. Should be even better with more content and optimized more with a PS4 in mind.

Top Bottom