• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GTA: Chinatown Wars thread

markot

Banned
Linkzg said:
Where is the Liberty City Gun Club (or whatever it's called)? it said it's near the airport, so I'm driving around there and I can't find it.

so far the game is pretty great, btw.

On the western island, its on the se corner, you can hear the boom boom when you are near it.

>.> I think, I might be remembering wrong... still not too used to the lay out of the game.

Its got some mini games in it, for each class of weapon.

bdouble

Philthy said:
I'm trying to like this game, but the controls just fucking hate me. I don't know what it is, but I can't get into a car without instantly ramming into a cop car and I either get my car blown up or pulled over and arrested. I'm on one of the earlier missions where I get to go to a gang hideout and beat people up and I can't even control it as i'm jumping over walls. I saw all the reviews saying how it's so perfect for the DS but I think the controls are just fucking awful.

Just as a bit of encouragement. I was struggling with the controls for a short period as well. Couldn't drive worth shit and even moving was a bit of a problem. You aren't very far into the game at all and I was still having a few problems at that point as well. Shooting was a big problem and just getting around the city sucked. Eventually I got the hang of it and now its hardly a hindrance. I was constantly being pulled out of my car and being busted but now I can get a 3 start wanted level gone by just driving around and wrecking the police.

There are a few odd times where I'd like analog control (freaking bikes are hard as hell) but the Go Kart is a blast because its so small, not very fast, but turns like no other.
Its on the southern most cost of the east island. There is a go cart track on the SW corner. If you just head east along the beach you will find a few large houses and its parked behind one of them

\/\/ that is one thing that annoys me. The sirens don't affect the traffic at all. Sucks when doing vigilante missions.

the traffic and police in this game are so annoying. If you even scape a cop car in a paramedic mission, it's over for you. I don't know if it is a creative or technical choice to have sirens do jack shit, but it was a horrible one.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I've never really done medic or cop missions, so the only general problem I have with the driving is that it can be really difficult to lose cops in any of the bigger vehicles and really easy to get busted because their acceleration is so slow. Makes sense to a certain degree, but I just feel like they should have more SMASH power at least.

andthebeatgoeson

Linkzg said:
the traffic and police in this game are so annoying. If you even scape a cop car in a paramedic mission, it's over for you. I don't know if it is a creative or technical choice to have sirens do jack shit, but it was a horrible one.
Rockstar needs to get over their realism kick and remove all the poles and trees on the roadway. GTA3 was better because they had wide streets. Some small streets but I just remember tearing down a road at high speed and have it be unimpeded. Just stop with the realism kick and give me mechanics that entice me to speed up. GTA driving is better at high speeds. I get the feeling they don't have a good understanding of how gamers viewed driving. I think they don't get the connection I used to get by driving fast, with the music blaring and just skidding out or spinning out. I don't care about the realism of hitting a pole and slowing down. I used to drive around in GTA3 and hit the cops on purpose to get them to chase me. I would antagonize a 10 minute car chase just because.

Not now or in any of the recent games. I don't like the cops and they are everywhere. Car chases are constantly slowed down by the ever-present trash cans/newspaper machines/stop signs/trees. It's not as fun to drive. It's a different mechanic and Rockstar doesn't care as long as they can pad the game with dating and internet sites and TV shows. They have lost track about some of the great things in GTA3 that wasn't scripted or an official mission. I'm sure I spent 20 hours at least just starting shit/instigating cop chases/shooting down helicopters/sniping people on the street.

LCfiner

This game has been off my radar for a while but it looks like I need to pick this one up now.

thanks, GAF. sucking up my free time one game at a time.

bdouble

AstroLad said:
I've never really done medic or cop missions, so the only general problem I have with the driving is that it can be really difficult to lose cops in any of the bigger vehicles and really easy to get busted because their acceleration is so slow. Makes sense to a certain degree, but I just feel like they should have more SMASH power at least.

Yeah definitely agree. I find the fast ones much more effective at taking cops out. With a large vehicle ramming them just doesn't work unless at top speed and it takes so long to do so.

Tobor

To anyone having trouble with the driving, pro tip:

Take your thumb off the dpad. Get in the middle of the lane and feather the dpad, and you'll cruise along, only glancing off the other cars. It's pretty easy once you try it.

In other words, if you're having trouble driving, you're overcompensating.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
leroidys said:
So are the controls just the same as GTA I and II basically? Or worse?
I think the DS' control is better.

I haven't found any re-spawning health replenishment spots with ammunition replenishment beside it like in GTA2. Those were my favourite spots in GTA2 because I could do some massive damage while being continuously replenished. How else am I suppose to cause a huge mayhem without those spots in DS ? :(

Munin

womp said:
So far my favorite moment is coming across an accident at an intersection where someone hit a pedestrian with their car and I didn't even have anything to do with it. The attention to detail is insane with the car's lights flashing...What was great was how there were people crowding around the body and you hear things like "Someone get his wallet" but even better were the people taking pictures of the gruesome scene with their cell phones as an ambulance came rolling in.

:lol

Game is amazing and I am not even a GTA fan.

And DAMN those scratch off cards. I've spent half my coke money on them.

I came across a big accident with a burnt out truck, police and ambulance etc at a junction the other day and wondered whether that was a kind of one-time scripted thing or whether these things are really put into the game world randomly. Impressive.

markot

Banned
I came across an area where the police had sealed off the street with cars and were in a shoot out with some gang members >.< But I didnt investigate, cause I didnt want to get mixed up in it, and I was trying to finish a big drug deal!

AniHawk

If I really disliked GTA IV (namely the horrid level design), would I enjoy this game?

Is this game more like GTA IV or GTA SA?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
NetMapel said:
I think the DS' control is better.

I haven't found any re-spawning health replenishment spots with ammunition replenishment beside it like in GTA2. Those were my favourite spots in GTA2 because I could do some massive damage while being continuously replenished. How else am I suppose to cause a huge mayhem without those spots in DS ? :(

Carnage missions or whatever the names is in english. You get an heavy weapon with infinite ammo and you have to wrek havoc within the limited time. The rocket launcher is awesome!

Anyone knows if gold medals get you something?

Munin said:
I came across a big accident with a burnt out truck, police and ambulance etc at a junction the other day and wondered whether that was a kind of one-time scripted thing or whether these things are really put into the game world randomly. Impressive.
I had a similar accident yesterday. Instead of a truck it was a bus burning. I was confused because I did not expect something like this :lol

Mistouze said:
Anyone knows if gold medals get you something?

Don't think so, maybe if you get gold on all of the rampages.
I got gold on taxi missions and now
all taxis are bulletproof

AstroLad said:

On the subject of smash power, the Dukes looks like the best car for writing off police cars, you don't have to do much more than nudge them to blow them up. Most vehicles, if not all of them seem to allow you to accelerate away fast enough to throw a cop from your door, though doing it while reversing is a different story.

Munin

How can you actually enter a cab without hijacking? I guess the "whistling" gimmick is nice and all but Rockstar didn't think of the people who can't whistle, well, like me. I remember a message that said "Hold X near cab" but then I just hijack it like normal. :( Any tips?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Munin said:
How can you actually enter a cab without hijacking? I guess the "whistling" gimmick is nice and all but Rockstar didn't think of the people who can't whistle, well, like me. I remember a message that said "Hold X near cab" but then I just hijack it like normal. :( Any tips?

Hold X near a cab :p.

You must not be holding it for long enough, even though it doesnt take long. Hold X and the character should put up his arm in the "HAIL HITLER CAB" pose, the cab should stop and allow you in.

Anyway, I've played the first mission to really bug me;
the mission where you need to collect new Triads. The friendly pathfinding is so horrendous.

EatChildren said:
Anyway, I've played the first mission to really bug me;
the mission where you need to collect new Triads. The friendly pathfinding is so horrendous.

Mine liked catching on fire.

alanias

AniHawk said:
If I really disliked GTA IV (namely the horrid level design), would I enjoy this game?

It's not really like either. Reminds me of a mix between GTA 1 and GTA 3 with some of its own elements mixed in. I really hope they bring in the drug trading and cop takedown system for the next game in the series.

The level design in this game is really good. Because of the auto-aim the designers avoid the "go here and shoot some guys" levels because that would be too easy. Every mission I have played so far has been unique, and that's saying something after GTA IV!

Xater

I played a few hours now and this game is absolutely amazing. If it only had real cutscenes. Oh well so far I like it even more than Liberty City Stories.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Munin said:

You can only get in cabs with the yellow light on them. It's a faint yellow glow but you'll know it when you see it. Hold X and some entry chevrons will appear. Can you actually whistle into the mix to do it though? If so that's awesome, I was just thinking that the mic is the only bit of the hardware the game didn't use. Gonna have to try that soon.

This game is hard though. I consider myself a very good gta player, I played through the entirety of 4 without being busted once and only failed a handful of missions. This on the other hand is an unforgiving bitch of a game, in a good way though. The ease of getting busted or killed makes doing the deals that much more exciting - when you have 20 grand worth of heroin in your bag you really don't wanna get caught! I've been busily setting myself up as a kingpin, buying up properties and developing a nice overstock of everything for when the lunatics will pay through the nose for whatever drug they can't get, it's a really satisfying little game in and of itself. Drug tycoon, a new sub-genre!

Darklord

Banned
AniHawk said:

It's like GTA3 if they never went 3D and kept it with the top down perspective. That's how I see it. Nothing like GTA4 though, if anything it feels much more classic GTA.

bdouble

So I guess I'm 30% done but really nice touch how the drug tip offs become more and more specific and just crazy ass people wanting them for crazy ass reasons.

Scipius

Jedeye Sniv said:
I was just thinking that the mic is the only bit of the hardware the game didn't use. Gonna have to try that soon.

I just found out that when you blow into the microphone when you're scratching a card, the leftovers will clear away...

A lot of TLC went into this one, you can tell.

womp

AniHawk said:

I am not even a GTA fan to begin with and I love this game. Ever since I played the first one on MSDOS I just could never get into it and I've tried to with each release.

Finally they got me...They got me good. I can't put it down.

The game really is more of a melding of the first two GTA's with the third's stylish updates though with some of the other advancements thrown in to seal the deal.

Driving and smashing up cop cars makes me think back to A.P.B.

Munin

I think the drug dealing is too easy. I almost feel like I'm cheating as I just exploited a really good acid route multiple times now, making me about 50,000 in total. I wish it would all be a bit more risky - it's probably due to the new wanted system, and while it's satisfying to get rid of police stars that way, it makes things too unchallenging in the long run.

Fireblend

Banned
Damn this game keeps surprising me, the good way. Just found a couple of "rampage" spots and had fun torching everything in my path, and then playing with the chainsaw. So far the missions are fun, and I can't get enough of just driving around the city playing taxi, drug dealing, etc... It's brilliant and awfully addictive. I did not expect the game to grab me the way it has.

Captain N

AstroLad said:
Once in a while they should make a dealer an undercover cop, quicksave, and drop three stars on you.

Does that actually happen or is that just what you want to see in the game?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Xater said:
I played a few hours now and this game is absolutely amazing. If it only had real cutscenes. Oh well so far I like it even more than Liberty City Stories.

I agree, it makes me sort of wish they had done a similar thing to this on the PSP, but woith a bit more polish (proper cut-scenes and voice acting etc.).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Captain N said:
Does that actually happen or is that just what you want to see in the game?

Nah, as close as you can get to that is the cops showing up when the deal goes bust and automatically getting 2 stars.

Its cool when it happens, but getting out of 2 stars is pretty easy. A 3 star bust or undercover cop scenario would be awesome.

Gah, I'm so addicted to the drug dealing I can't get anything else done :D

My two cents on the driving is that R* shouldn't have gone the extra mile and make all the cars handle so differently. I appreciate the extra attention to detail (I really can't think of a more impressive DS game) but everytime I jump in a car I feel like i have to learn to drive all over again. I'm sure I'll get used to it as the game goes on though since I'm only 6% in.

Captain N

I am loving every second of this game. I would go so far as to say this is the most fun I've had with a GTA game EVER.

Any word on how its selling?

EatChildren

I have zero problems with driving in this game. I did at first, but once I got used to the controls I found speeding through traffic a breeze.

Only thing is I avoid the...Stallion? One of those cars has painfully bad over-stearing.

Mrbob

Picked this up (GTA1/GTA2 lover and GTA4 semi hater here), game is awesome.

Its old school meets new school meets even newer school.

Love the 2D/3D look. In fact, I can't believe how good this game looks in motion. You can't tell by watching videos on the web but this is probably the best looking game on ds. Touch screen options are excellent and not intrusive to the experience. In fact they add to them. I was doing some ambulence missions, and if you go to fast or hit another car it can speed up the heart rate of a patient and they can flat line killing them. If they start to flatline you need to shock their heart back to beating by tapping quickly on the heart symbol on the touch screen to revive them!

The one aspect of the recent GTAs which did carry over is the storyline telling, which is nice since the storytelling is one of the strongest aspects of recent GTA games. Thankfully the story is more light hearted and I enjoy this aspect than the machismo storylines of the console games. Definitely an M rate game too, throwing F bombs left and right in the story. :lol No voice acting, but this doesn't bother me too much.

The sound effects in game are pretty good too. My car was on fire so I hopped out, and it ran into another car and exploded. Two characters inside the car jump out on fire running around and screaming...crawling the ground screaming some more, then getting up screaming and then going EH, falling to the ground dead. In a console 3D this wouldn't seem too funny, but seeing those cartoon style 3D characters running around screaming on fire was hilarious. :lol

I like seeing a bigger map on the bottom screen, easy use at setting waypoints. PDA functionality is awesome too. Captures the style of the console GTA games while being its own thing, and a better experience overall. I agree with the person who said this is more similar gameplay style to GTA3. It mixes gameplay of GTA2 and GTA3 together in a top down perspective with mixing the storyline capabilities of GTA4 in a more light hearted nature. Perhaps after I finish this I'll give GTA4 another chance, but I don't feel like going on any more damn dates!

Forkball

I haven't had a problem with the driving except for maybe some sharp turns. The driving controls are fine. As someone mentioned above, if you drive directly in the middle (like right on top of the white or yellow line) you can just go straight as fast as possible and no one will hit you.

The worst car in the game is by far the stallion like someone mentioned. It is impossible to make a turn in that thing. I'd rather have an 18 wheeler than that car. I noticed that the Cognotti or whatever it's called handles incredibly well and it's pretty fast.

bdouble

EatChildren said:
I have zero problems with driving in this game. I did at first, but once I got used to the controls I found speeding through traffic a breeze.

Only thing is I avoid the...Stallion? One of those cars has painfully bad over-stearing.

:lol Yep that and the Manana. Both are running jokes in GTA games. Stallion is fun to do donuts though.

Darklord

Banned
AstroLad said:
Once in a while they should make a dealer an undercover cop, quicksave, and drop three stars on you.

Sometimes the cops bust you and charge the drug deal, you get a 2 star wanted.

Philthy

I'll give feathering the D-Pad a try. I've tried the "Steal 3 cars before 10:00" about 6 times now. All ending in terrible failure because driving for me is just killing the game. This might end up one of those games you disagree 100% with the reviews on.

I'm really not having any fun with this at all.

markot

Banned
It is lame that the bigger cars/trucks dont plow through things, you seem to be able to flip cop cars and co easier with a faster car then a big one. So big ones are essentially useless.... Not to mention the slow acceleration gives cops the chance to pull you out and bust ya!

Darklord

Banned
Philthy said:
I'll give feathering the D-Pad a try. I've tried the "Steal 3 cars before 10:00" about 6 times now. All ending in terrible failure because driving for me is just killing the game. This might end up one of those games you disagree 100% with the reviews on.

I'm really not having any fun with this at all.

I turned driver assist off, that might help the driving. It did for me, I turned it off and was flying all over the place but then got the hang on it and find it WAY better than with driver assist on.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
markot said:
It is lame that the bigger cars/trucks dont plow through things, you seem to be able to flip cop cars and co easier with a faster car then a big one. So big ones are essentially useless.... Not to mention the slow acceleration gives cops the chance to pull you out and bust ya!
I was bummed when I couldn't knock over the fence with the bulldozer.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Darklord said:
Sometimes the cops bust you and charge the drug deal, you get a 2 star wanted.
I check around for cameras within the vicinity before I do the trade but still get busted every now and then. Is this a random event or could there be a camera hidden somewhere ?

NetMapel said:
I check around for cameras within the vicinity before I do the trade but still get busted every now and then. Is this a random event or could there be a camera hidden somewhere ?

It's random, I think I've destroyed all the ones overlooking dealers, still got 70 to find though :(

Top Bottom