• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GTA: Chinatown Wars thread

billy.sea

Banned
All the people played this game approve of this game.
The people that laugh at Rockstar and say they should go back to PSP most likely never played this.

andthebeatgoeson

Crunched said:
I just got my package from Best Buy and excitedly ripped it open. I've been following my order for Chinatown Wars for the past week and couldn't wait to play it.

I pull the game out of the envelope and look down. What. The. Fuck.

Best Buy just pulled the worst ever goddamn rickroll on me; they sent me exactly the opposite of what I wanted. I don't even know how to deal with this.
I can hear the song in my head.

Ecto311

Anyone have any tips for Mr. Wongs flash game? I have "won" but it just shit me $1000+ and nothing else. Is there something I'm missing?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
so i finally got to playing this game. i wasn't in a hurry to get to it as i'm just the occasional sandboxing/gta-style player; i always end up sidetracked with the driving in these games. as i was looking for something new to showcase my sparkling new dsi, i decided to try gta, without expecting anything extraordinary out of it.

wow, how fast did that change!

the first thing that hit me in the face was the technical execution of the game. one word - impeccable. there are plenty of polished games in my ds library, but none of them does what rockstar has achieved with chinatown wars - not at this scale or complexity. the game uses the platform's strong sides to the max, while managing to circumvent the weaknesses, to an astounding effect. i had to keep reminding myself it's not a dsi-only game, fully using the new dsi hw, but was a game i could play play on my old phat. frankly, if somebody had told me what a living and breathing city environment rockstar were to put on the ds a couple of years ago when the first rumors of it appeared, i'd have laughed. now, that i've seen the final product, i can say only one thing: my respect, R*.

play-style wise, chinatown wars is a refreshing reminder of what gta was back in the day when it was a darn good game. only that this time it does it at the scale of modern-day gta installments. and it does that while actually managing to fit in my pocket (no, my psp has never managed to do that).

and the driving is delicious. the traffic, the pedestrians, the roads and driving/stunt locations. i could write a treatise about the driving in this game but i won't : ) i'll just say that the first time i did a USJ i smiled ear to ear (even though i fully expected it).

so, hello my new time sink. i'm glad we've finally met.

RBH

Crunched said:
I just got my package from Best Buy and excitedly ripped it open. I've been following my order for Chinatown Wars for the past week and couldn't wait to play it.

I pull the game out of the envelope and look down. What. The. Fuck.

Best Buy just pulled the worst ever goddamn rickroll on me; they sent me exactly the opposite of what I wanted. I don't even know how to deal with this.
I can't stop laughing. :lol :lol

Chris FOM

Can someone tell me how to mark favorites on my GPS? I know how to mark a waypoint that I want to hit up now, but I looked through the manual and tried hitting various buttons in the GPS and have had no luck setting a favorite that I can return to later.

wsippel

Banned
This is probably old (it's even possible that I posted it myself, but I'm drunk, so I'll just hope I didn't), but there was a really interesting piece about Rockstar Leeds a while ago in the Times. It was mentioned that the team developing Chinatown Wars consisted of no more than 16 developers at any given time, but there are 80 people working at Rockstar Leeds these days. The writer of the article mentioned that he has seen the other project Rockstar Leeds was working on, but he wouldn't even drop a hint, stating that Take-Two would deny the very existence of the project anyway. I'm really interested in whatever that other project is. R* Leeds did a great job with Chinatown Wars, and it seems the other project is quite a bit bigger...

Flunkie

Banned
wsippel said:
This is probably old (it's even possible that I posted it myself, but I'm drunk, so I'll just hope I didn't), but there was a really interesting piece about Rockstar Leeds a while ago in the Times. It was mentioned that the team developing Chinatown Wars consisted of no more than 16 developers at any given time, but there are 80 people working at Rockstar Leeds these days. The writer of the article mentioned that he has seen the other project Rockstar Leeds was working on, but he wouldn't even drop a hint, stating that Take-Two would deny the very existence of the project anyway. I'm really interested in whatever that other project is. R* Leeds did a great job with Chinatown Wars, and it seems the other project is quite a bit bigger...
Third PSP GTA

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Chris FOM said:
Can someone tell me how to mark favorites on my GPS? I know how to mark a waypoint that I want to hit up now, but I looked through the manual and tried hitting various buttons in the GPS and have had no luck setting a favorite that I can return to later.
1. mark a waypoint
2. go to favs menu, the waypoint you just marked will be shown as a candidate for adding - use the + button.

for current fav locations, that same button becomes a delete (x).

Flunkie

Banned
This is THE perfect timewaster now. Anywhere I'm at, anywhere I go, me and my DSi will be ready to pass any free time I have by playing GTA: CW - even if it's just driving around.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
This game looks so good I kinda want to buy a DS. I really don't do portables ( i have a PSP that I haven't played for ages) but this game looks like it does a great job of recreating the original GTA games and adding a shit load of cool stuff. Kinda sad to see it hasn't done well. I wish they would do a live/ps3 download for $20 or something. I would totally but it.

Evlar

Banned
I purchased Chinatown Wars on Monday after a week of re-immersion in GTA4 driving up my interest in the franchise again and after reading all the positive news here and elsewhere. Based on the gametime I've had the hype is reality. I played a limited amount of GTA1 and GTA2 (and GTA London, if anyone remembers that). Chinatown is a successful amalgamation of the run-and-gun cartoon gangsta world of the overhead GTAs with the finesse and quality of content- writing, art, and interface- of GTA4.

I'm thrilling to the experience of a convincing rendition of Liberty City (circa GTA4) on the technopuny DS. The scope- given platform limitations- is astounding. Whatever wizardry they're using to get so many polygons with such a variety of textures WITH a high framerate and no loading AND all the FX and sound mixing running simultaneously... that wizardry stands eye-to-eye with the best tech Nintendo has deployed on the DS. It's as impressive as Metroid DS and Zelda Phantom Hourglass for squeezing this machine.

This is much more than I had assumed when the game was in production. I've read the commentary proclaimed in a few places that "this is the best GTA", I won't go there, but I do believe it's the most representative GTA. Playing this game gives you a taste of the roots of Grand Theft Auto, a glimpse of the state of the art, and a scattering of fun new ideas that are worthy of filtering into the "bigger" console releases.

Hella fun.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Ok, let's do a main mission... Hmm, nice deal in this e-mail, I'll go to a safehouse get the stuff and... Wait, that's a jump spot there, woo! Ok, let's keep going, hmm... Hi, random person. Funny mission, haha. About that deal, oh, another mail. Let me just take this awesome car to a garage. And destroy that camera. And...

It's so fucking hard to put this game down. :lol <3

Fuu said:
Ok, let's do a main mission... Hmm, nice deal in this e-mail, I'll go to a safehouse get the stuff and... Wait, that's a jump spot there, woo! Ok, let's keep going, hmm... Hi, random person. Funny mission, haha. About that deal, oh, another mail. Let me just take this awesome car to a garage. And destroy that camera. And...

It's so fucking hard to put this game down. :lol <3
I like this a lot. I'm not sooo far in the missions because of this. On the other hand I have destroyed nearly all cameras

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is on sale at Amazon.

Price: $23.97 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.

Use the Amazon link on the blue bar above to give GAF credit for the sale if you are going to buy it.

what are those weird spiraling tornado things in this game? They look like they're a portal or something but nothing happens when you touch them. Anyone figure this out?

shrinkingviolet

Neo Member
needlesmcgirk said:
what are those weird spiraling tornado things in this game? They look like they're a portal or something but nothing happens when you touch them. Anyone figure this out?

That had been bothering me as well. Luckily, there's hope:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/search.php?search=swirl&board=950922
Basically it's a possible location where one of the two Lion statues will show up after game completion. Locating both of them will unlock additional missions.

SpokkX

Just finished this...

Started out great but in the end I was actually tired of it all. Very repetative and shallow in the end. Great first hours but after 3 hours there is nothing new and the game quickliy became a chore imo. Especially since the story SUCKS

I just picked up a DSi and chinatown wars and im enjoying the game so far. The controls feel a little clunky but im getting use to them, perhaps that has to do with the fact im a DS rookie.

Are the security cameras on the side of buildings in plain sight? Im a little confused on how to find them.

Kool Aid

Banned
SpokkX said:
Just finished this...

Started out great but in the end I was actually tired of it all. Very repetative and shallow in the end. Great first hours but after 3 hours there is nothing new and the game quickliy became a chore imo. Especially since the story SUCKS

Yeah, those are my feelings exactly. Looking back at it, I'm not exactly sure why people were so enamored with the drug trade. It certainly generated huge cash flow, but it was a pretty shallow game mechanic.

jrricky

Banned
SpokkX said:
Just finished this...

I dont understand, you did everything that the game had to offer? I barely scratched the surface of the game and I got it since launch (granted I didnt play it every single day). I just got back into it and discovered the online games for more cash. Very nice.

Just finished the main storyline - a tad predictable of an ending but entertaining nonetheless. Tis' a shame we probably won't be seeing any similar efforts from R* on the DS since this game sold like shit. As least there won't be a rehashed sequel for people to bitch over.

mrkgoo

Little Green Yoda said:
Just finished the main storyline - a tad predictable of an ending but entertaining nonetheless. Tis' a shame we probably won't be seeing any similar efforts from R* on the DS since this game sold like shit. As least there won't be a rehashed sequel for people to bitch over.

If the DS sold so poorly...

What about an iPhone version? It sounds like it's doing well, what if it DOES do extremely well and R* make a version for the iPhone specifically - could get a port to DS... that would be interesting.

Anyway, I never got around to getting this for the DS, and I'm tempted to get it for the iPhone. I still have Monkey Island to get through, however.

Top Bottom