• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official GTA: Chinatown Wars thread

ravien56

speculawyer said:
Better enjoy it because it is probably the last GTA game you'll get on the DS. :-/
that may not be true, yea last months npd was kinda shit for this, but remember gta 3? it had a huge long tail, sold only 200k copies first month, but it did it every month...well see how many it sells this month. i hope not, after seeing those shitty sells, i actually went out and bought 1 after having a pirated copy.

Neiteio

mh56 said:
my god this game is freaking amazing
Picked up three copies, one for me and one for each of my two brothers, and we're all hooked.

The city is IMMENSE. Can't emphasize that enough. I was skeptical going in but it's absolutely true. It feels like the biggest overworld in a game to date, or at least the biggest one worth a damn, since every square inch is bustling with activity, whether we're talking traffic, pedestrians, rioters, whatever. There are no empty expanses, and there is a TON of variety, a dozen some detailed neighborhoods of different age, prosperity and ethnicity, as well as glitzy areas, industrial areas, et al. Even though I've floored it for miles on end evading coppers and choppers, I still haven't seen the whole city, much less the whole city at night or in the rain, and it's available to explore in its entirety from the start. It's the first time in a long time that I can't visualize the whole overworld in my head; there's simply too much of it, and it's addictive blasting through it in a sports car or simply strolling the sidewalks, taking in the sights.

How did they fit all of Liberty City on a single DS card? How? It simply boggles the mind. This game puts the rest of the DS library to shame, imo. There's simply so much to love here. To have this whole world -- rich with interaction down to the smallest newspaper stand you can karate chop to scatter paper everywhere -- right in the palm of your hand... That's some kind of magic.

Bless you, Best Buy $20 sale. Bless you.

zigg

DeaconKnowledge said:
By the way, you guys DO know that all the major landmarks in town can be accessed via your GPS, right? I can't remember the exact button, but somewhere in the GPS app it shows you exactly where things like the gun club, race track and dealership are and lets you create a GPS lead to it.

Enlighten me, I can't find it. I've got missions, scratch cards, rampages, you name it...

Any tips on how to raise quick cash in the game? Do not say drugs! I somehow find myself with NO money (I think because of too many deaths/mission restarts), so I can't even buy drugs right now and I only have a small bit of coke to sell.

Neiteio

There's a ton of cheat codes over at GameFAQs, and they all work, but the game tells me that if I save with cheats activated it may affect my save. What does it mean by this? I didn't save just to be safe. Could someone explain?

Also, when you activate the weather code, is there a way to disable it so the weather goes back to normal and changes on its own?

DaBargainHunta said:
Any tips on how to raise quick cash in the game? Do not say drugs! I somehow find myself with NO money (I think because of too many deaths/mission restarts), so I can't even buy drugs right now and I only have a small bit of coke to sell.
Drugs is really the best way to make fast money. Just find either the nearest coke buyer through your PDA, or wait until an email tips you off for a coke buying deal. You should get a few hundred dollars, which you can use to buy more drugs.

Remember, you don't have to wait for an email tip-off on a special deal to make a big drug profit. The drug turf map shows which dealers naturally sell certain drugs cheap and buy others high.

zigg said:
Enlighten me, I can't find it. I've got missions, scratch cards, rampages, you name it...

It's listed under Odd Jobs. It gives you way points for stuff like the gun club and auto merchant (man, what a blessing when I found THAT waypoint).

Also remember that you can select all of your waypoints, including drug dealers, when you enter a taxi. When you're rich enough, using a taxi is an easy "teleport" for $20-70.

DaBargainHunta said:

Drugs. :) Sorry, but that's it. And you can always sell what you have somewhere for a profit, if no one's contacted you for buying coke, check your PDA for the gang that specializes in buying it. Even if you only have a small amount, sell it and re-invest it all in something else cheap, turn that around, repeat ad infinitum. It'll snowball pretty quick.

Amir0x

Banned
Neiteio said:
Picked up three copies, one for me and one for each of my two brothers, and we're all hooked.

The city is IMMENSE. Can't emphasize that enough. I was skeptical going in but it's absolutely true. It feels like the biggest overworld in a game to date, or at least the biggest one worth a damn, since every square inch is bustling with activity, whether we're talking traffic, pedestrians, rioters, whatever. There are no empty expanses, and there is a TON of variety, a dozen some detailed neighborhoods of different age, prosperity and ethnicity, as well as glitzy areas, industrial areas, et al. Even though I've floored it for miles on end evading coppers and choppers, I still haven't seen the whole city, much less the whole city at night or in the rain, and it's available to explore in its entirety from the start. It's the first time in a long time that I can't visualize the whole overworld in my head; there's simply too much of it, and it's addictive blasting through it in a sports car or simply strolling the sidewalks, taking in the sights.

How did they fit all of Liberty City on a single DS card? How? It simply boggles the mind. This game puts the rest of the DS library to shame, imo. There's simply so much to love here. To have this whole world -- rich with interaction down to the smallest newspaper stand you can karate chop to scatter paper everywhere -- right in the palm of your hand... That's some kind of magic.

Bless you, Best Buy $20 sale. Bless you.

Is this your first sandbox game or something? Hell, Liberty City in Chinatown Wars isn't even close to as big as the one from GTAIV! Hell, it's not even remarkable for a PORTABLE - a portable did fully 3D GTA WITH voice and audio track radio stations with comparable land size and interaction!

If you're amazed by this, though, I recommend Saint's Row 2, Crackdown, GTA: Liberty City Stories/Vice City Stories, GTAIV and its expansion Lost and the Damned. If you even have any other platforms, since you might not judging by your ignorance of the genre.

Salmonax

memecomplex said:
WTF! I can't access DSi wi-fi functions in game if I have anything stronger that WEP encryption on my router! This SUXXXS!
Yeah, I miss out on DS wireless stuff for the same reason. Total bunk.

Neiteio

Amir0x said:
Is this your first sandbox game or something? Hell, Liberty City in Chinatown Wars isn't even close to as big as the one from GTAIV! Hell, it's not even remarkable for a PORTABLE - a portable did fully 3D GTA WITH voice and audio track radio stations with comparable land size and interaction!

If you're amazed by this, though, I recommend Saint's Row 2, Crackdown, GTA: Liberty City Stories/Vice City Stories, GTAIV and its expansion Lost and the Damned. If you even have any other platforms, since you might not judging by your ignorance of the genre.
I own a PS3 and a Wii, and I've played sandbox games since GTA2. (I'm surprised you were ignorant of my every-other-post participation in the RE5 thread you posted in, although I haven't posted there this past week.
My avatar!
) I've played plenty of other sandbox games, but the emphasis here is on the word "feels." I was able to mentally digest the landscapes in the games you listed, but on the DS this sucker is too much for me to memorize. It honestly feels way bigger for me. Maybe it's the top-down nature of the game, the way the perspective allows me to see ten times as much traffic at once and gives me an appreciation of the verticality since I see all the "layers" at the same time, but either way it feels huge and is definitely unrivaled on the DS. It's also, I'd say, the most fun GTA in ages.

Now does anyone know if cheats have any adverse effects on a save file? I'm afraid to save once I've activated cheats because the game warns against it and I'm not sure what could go wrong. Are cheats reversible? What happens if you save after, say, using the code to unlock the minigun?

What the fuck is the point of limited time DLC? I wasn't even planning on picking this up anytime soon but I guess I have to now.

rainking187 said:
What the fuck is the point of limited time DLC? I wasn't even planning on picking this up anytime soon but I guess I have to now.
I think you just answered your own question.
(think bad sales)

Keikoku

Banned
Amir0x said:

wat

Revolutionary said:
I think you just answered your own question.
(think bad sales)

Why does everyone say bad sales? Didn't this game sell like 200k in the first two weeks? I thought that was pretty good.

Sorry guys! I meant to get this game already but got distracted by EXCITE. I just read that amazing blog on Gamepro.com, which has more than convinced me to buy the game tomorrow morning at BB.

Wizpig

Crunched said:
Wait- the DLC is timed? How short a window do I have to get it?
Dunno, i'll try to download it now, i don't know if it really is timed - guess they'll remove it after they put ANOTHER DLC in the future.

edit. Hm, maybe one week, until May 8.

(1) Become a registered Social Club member before 11:59 PM ET
on May 8th 2009 (Thursday).

and well, come on guys, it's just a bulletproof version of a car you already have in your game. It's not that special...

Wizpig

Milchmonster said:
and well, come on guys, it's just a bulletproof version of a car you already have in your game. It's not that special...
I also think it's a letdown for some people; Bulletproof Infernus was the preorder bonus from Amazon and i think it was just an e-mail code; now they're giving other bulletproof cars for free.
Luckily i took the other preorder bonus, 10k$ and weapons; it's still a code and probably a worse extra than the Infernus, but it came with an actual box larger than the game box and all, pretty cool.

Possibly stupid question, I know: Where the hell is the auto shop? It's NOT showing up on my GPS or any of the associated menu options because I haven't "discovered" it yet.

Edit: Never mind, found it in Boabo.

im blown away by this game. i see my DS as a whole different machine now.

i skimmed thru the thread so maybe i missed it - has anyone gone head to head online? or plan to?

I bought this game, and it's pretty good. It's exactly what you'd expect, but doesn't take away it's greatness. I feel like it's slightly over rated, but they did pack a lot into it.

Anyone else feel controlling your character is incredibly awkward though? On foot, control feels like a mess to me. Driving is handled very well.

EazyB

Banned
Picked up the game this weekend and have played a good 5-6 hours already. Really fun, glad I've got something that gives me an excuse to turn my DS on now.

One thing I don't like though is the new mechanic for losing wanted level. Is there an effective way of taking down cops because I've found that trying to ram into them is no good because it rarely works and beats up your car. All I do is drive fast and hope they crash randomly.

Do any reviews call out the dialogue? I read up on this a little before I got it, it seems fun enough but the dialogue is really making the game as a whole seems cheap to me. The character animations are pretty great for how small they are, the city actually retain a decent amount of the atmosphere of a console GTA, now why couldn't they have had someone with more experience then a high school student who's seen a few crime movies and Asian flicks to write the dialogue?

EazyB said:
Picked up the game this weekend and have played a good 5-6 hours already. Really fun, glad I've got something that gives me an excuse to turn my DS on now.

One thing I don't like though is the new mechanic for losing wanted level. Is there an effective way of taking down cops because I've found that trying to ram into them is no good because it rarely works and beats up your car. All I do is drive fast and hope they crash randomly.

Drive faster cars.

Ramming a cop car with a slow car means jack shit. You have to be going a good speed to destroy one, and even then it has to be head on, no glancing blows.

lopaz

Banned
The extra missions aren't worth the effort lawl. Also, without the internet no one would ever know how to get them!

Red

I just got my package from Best Buy and excitedly ripped it open. I've been following my order for Chinatown Wars for the past week and couldn't wait to play it.

I pull the game out of the envelope and look down. What. The. Fuck.

Best Buy just pulled the worst ever goddamn rickroll on me; they sent me exactly the opposite of what I wanted. I don't even know how to deal with this.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Crunched said:
I just got my package from Best Buy and excitedly ripped it open. I've been following my order for Chinatown Wars for the past week and couldn't wait to play it.

Best Buy just pulled the worst ever goddamn rickroll on me; they sent me exactly the opposite of what I wanted. I don't even know how to deal with this.

dude :lol :lol :lol

Crunched said:

:lol :lol

Red

I just got off the phone with customer service. Apparently Chinatown Wars is on backorder. I have to wonder if someone at the warehouse was just trying to mess with me.

Crunched said:
I just got off the phone with customer service. Apparently Chinatown Wars is on backorder. I have to wonder if someone at the warehouse was just trying to mess with me.

"Just send him Littlest Pet Shop. It's the same Goddamn thing".

Red

It literally is the worst thing that has ever happened. Next time you've fallen on your ass, out of a job, just divorced, hated by your kids, and are stuck with looming mortgage payments, remember the guy who got sent Littlest Pet Shop instead of Chinatown Wars. Content yourself by knowing it could be worse.

Dascu

DeaconKnowledge said:
"Just send him Littlest Pet Shop. It's the same Goddamn thing".
"Yo dude, I know some squirrel punks that want to pay big bucks for some chestnuts here. Their money's good until Spring"

Just beat the game.

What a great ride that was. But alas, my time in Liberty City comes to a sad end. No more high speed car chases, no more drug-trafficking, or wig-splitting. This is the best third-party game I've played on a Nintendo handheld.

But now I've got Broken Sword and Suikoden Tierkreis waiting to be played. I don't know which to start after a game like Chinatown Wars.

Meier

So.. is there anything to do with my money but buy safehouses? Can I buy businesses or stash the money or anything?

Meier

Frencherman said:
You can invest your money in playing lotto!
:lol Kind of a shame there isn't a little more to it than that since the drug trade can be so profitable. I swear I saw something about Ammunation direct order on the web or something but I can't find it...anyone have any tips?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Started this yesterday and yeah, it's quite hard to put it down. I'm still surprised (and pleased) that this game turned out to be so good to be honest.

Flunkie

Banned
Mr Wong's Laundromat Now Open in the Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars Section of Social Club

The newly opened webgame, Mr Wong's Laundromat, will allow Social Club members to earn and transfer cash/multiplayer skins back to their linked Nintendo DS.

Today we're excited to announce the grand opening of Mr Wong's Laundromat on Rockstar Games Social Club. This webgame allows players of Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars to log onto Social Club and test out their money laundering skills in an effort to win cash/unlockable multiplayer costumes that can then be used in their copy of Chinatown Wars for the Nintendo DS.

Players can earn up to $10,000 per day working for Mr Wong, a local Chinatown 'businessman' who's helped more than his fair share of cash trickle seamlessly and undetected through the streets of Liberty City over the years.

Additionally, the Chinatown Wars Download Section has been updated with Guardian Lions and Mr Wong's ringtones (in both Mp3 and M4R format) as well as a Mr Wong desktop background. Stay tuned for more updates to the Chinatown Wars Download Section in the near future.

If you need to add your Nintendo DS Friend Code to your Social Club account (needed to transfer any money/multiplayer costumes you earn from Mr Wong back to your game) you can click here. You can also play Mr Wong's without having a DS Friend Code linked to your Social Club account and submit scores to the top 50 leaderboard.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/news/index.html

1z18u9h.jpg

Top Bottom