• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

No, none of them really clicked with me other than the King Katan, but I was hoping for a spare variant. By the time I gave up it was too late to get it at a reasonable price.
I like some of them. I like Sayrune and the first version of Viral's so far, the one with two faces.

NEO0MJ

Is there any kind of logic to what does and doesn't get kitted out?

Probably popularity and the ability to recycle the mold. Only ones that got a Kit were the Gurren Laggan (a cheap and a deluxe version, the only deluxe kit in the line), Gurren, King Kittan, Enki, the one with a Canon Head that was piloted by Yoko, and the Gurren Laggan clones.

Probably popularity and the ability to recycle the mold. Only ones that got a Kit were the Gurren Laggan (a cheap and a deluxe version, the only deluxe kit in the line), Gurren, King Kittan, Enki, the one with a Canon Head that was piloted by Yoko, and the Gurren Laggan clones.
Sounds like none of the cool looking ones got a model then.

NEO0MJ

Sounds like none of the cool looking ones got a model then.

Yeah. The show got very little merchandise (of the non-Yoko kind), and most of it was from early into the show's life with rare reissues. The die-cast Gurren Lagann never got reissued at all, and is a bitch to find online for a reasonable price.

Yeah. The show got very little merchandise (of the non-Yoko kind), and most of it was from early into the show's life with rare reissues. The die-cast Gurren Lagann never got reissued at all, and is a bitch to find online for a reasonable price.
Wait Nia never got a figure? Seriously? She's so damn cute! Wow!

Celcius

°Temp. member
I finally watched Gundam 00.

The fighting at the end of season 2 was insane. Funnels. tons of mechs with trans am activated, etc...
. Good stuff.

Now I've seen:

Gundam Build Fighters
Gundam Build FIghters Try
Gundam Seed
Gundam Seed Destiny
Gundam 00 seasons 1 & 2
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz

I guess next I should watch Gundam Wing since I've only seen the OVA (it's what got me into Gundam), but unless they add it to their youtube channel I'm not sure because I probably won't buy the dvds...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
img_sp-welcome17L-04.jpg

img_sp-welcome17L-05.jpg
dsfkjsdbfksdksdkj

muteki

The Gundam Battle Operation Next beta is out for the PS4/PS3 and runs until this Sunday.

It's the new Gundam game Bandai teased during the JP PS4 release.

ehhh....this is going to require Plus on PS4 isnt it?

Not that interested in a MP-only game either way.

Beth Cyra

It does require Plus on the PS4.

I'm fine with them developing another Battle Operation title, but not at the expense of a full retail Gundam game.

This is me.

Though I do love the trailer...though I'm starting to wonder if Wing Gundam TV has finally overthrown Zero EW as the Wing most popular Suit. Bandai has been pimping the Wing TV like crazy for the last few years.

I must say it's nice, I do like Zero EW but it has the same problem as 78-2 to me and its just overused and Im bored of it.

tensuke

Takes foreverrrr to get into a game and when I do I get desynced early on and it never resyncs me so I just flail around the rest of the match and lose. Urghhh.

So Rightstuf has the rights to Gundam in the US now? Are they releasing any of the classic series soon, like 0083, 0080, 08th MS Team, etc?

So Rightstuf has the rights to Gundam in the US now? Are they releasing any of the classic series soon, like 0083, 0080, 08th MS Team, etc?

The only thing they've announced with a solid release plan is Turn A on DVD. There have been some vague hints about ZZ, but that's it for now.

The Gundam Battle Operation Next beta is out for the PS4/PS3 and runs until this Sunday.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1038244

Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Battle-Operation-Next_2015_04-30-15_001.jpg

It's the new Gundam game Bandai teased during the JP PS4 release.

Kick his ass, STRIKE!

I've come to the realization that I can't do any more gunpla until I do MG Blitz... because every time I start to think about ordering a new kit, I go "Well, for 10 dollars more you could have the blitz and finish up the GATX series"

But, I think after that, I'm going to do HGUC ZZ Gundam.

Takes foreverrrr to get into a game and when I do I get desynced early on and it never resyncs me so I just flail around the rest of the match and lose. Urghhh.

I let it look for a match for 20 minutes and uninstalled it.

Just give me Maxi Boost on PS4 already goddamn. Expecting it early 2016.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
A WIP on the Akatsuki I just got a few days ago.

iyVDoUq.jpg

Holy crapI never going to buy another metal build ever again, the cut spot is impossible to fix. The metallic paint easily scratch each other, fingerprint all over, can't fix seamlines, you can't sand the nub.....

Now I just need to figure out a way to paint details on the metal parts without primers. May be I should get a brush primer.

Beth Cyra

A WIP on the Akatsuki I just got a few days ago.

iyVDoUq.jpg

Holy crapI never going to buy another metal build ever again, the cut spot is impossible to fix. The metallic paint easily scratch each other, fingerprint all over, can't fix seamlines, you can't sand the nub.....

Now I just need to figure out a way to paint details on the metal parts without primers. May be I should get a brush primer.

Luckily there are a few easy ways of covering most of the dings.

I saw and use the tutorials that where basically like this.

Use a hobby knife to get the nub all the way down so its pretty even with the actual piece. Then cover the cut mark with Metallic Silver and then use a Clear color variant and it works amazingly well so long as it's not white.

Metalic Blue's, Red's, and Gold's can mostly look really great using this method.

As far as paiting the details, most people I see recommend stripping all metal plating away and then use the above method for the different colors.

Shun

Isn't it just that the kit doesn't have as many undergate cuts for the runners as the official model? Use a knife to get a clean cut and cut far from the runner so you can minimize sanding?

I assume that a lot of Bandai models are good with using undergate with their metallic finish pieces. That was the case with my RG so far.

The way it's molded, the scratches and the fingerprints were inevitable.

I suggest to get a similar effect, maybe use gold and silver and paint a clear yellow/orange over it to get a really nice, glossy metallic effect?

You would first prime light gray, then paint over in gold/silver, then add clear yellow/orange over it, then finish with a couple light coats of extra glossy finish.

This is the effect you get by painting in that method.

chrome_effect_multi_colour.jpg

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Luckily there are a few easy ways of covering most of the dings.

I saw and use the tutorials that where basically like this.

Use a hobby knife to get the nub all the way down so its pretty even with the actual piece. Then cover the cut mark with Metallic Silver and then use a Clear color variant and it works amazingly well so long as it's not white.

Metalic Blue's, Red's, and Gold's can mostly look really great using this method.

As far as paiting the details, most people I see recommend stripping all metal plating away and then use the above method for the different colors.

That's what I planned to do, just get some metallic paint to cover it, it will still look awkward since you can't get the exact color.

I don't really want to repaint the whole thing, kind of seems like a waste. I will just wait for the non-metallic version and paint that instead.

Isn't it just that the kit doesn't have as many undergate cuts for the runners as the official model? Use a knife to get a clean cut and cut far from the runner so you can minimize sanding?

I assume that a lot of Bandai models are good with using undergate with their metallic finish pieces. That was the case with my RG so far.

I bet that's the reason, all the nubs are undergate, but somehow part of the nub still attached to the side. I try to get as many clean cut as I can, but it is hard to get perfect cut on every parts, bonds to screw up in a few places.

Shun

That's what I planned to do, just get some metallic paint to cover it, it will still look awkward since you can't get the exact color.

I don't really want to repaint the whole thing, kind of seems like a waste. I will just wait for the non-metallic version and paint that instead.

I bet that's the reason, all the nubs are undergate, but somehow part of the nub still attached to the side. I try to get as many clean cut as I can, but it is hard to get perfect cut on every parts, bonds to screw up in a few places.

This is the M3 one right or Dragon Momoko? I assume this is a do not recommend?

I'm thinking of picking up the M3 Astray Red Frame Tactical Arms for the PG. Do you have any information on that?

Still apprehensive on picking non-Bandai/Kotobukiya kits.

NEO0MJ

Making some decent progress on building my Byarlant Custom. I decided to say fuck it and just build plainly with no inking or touchups or anything. How do you guys spraypaint indoors? I tried painting outside multiple times but our weather is just too dusty/windy and makes it impossible to paint.

Wubby

Making some decent progress on building my Byarlant Custom. I decided to say fuck it and just build plainly with no inking or touchups or anything. How do you guys spraypaint indoors? I tried painting outside multiple times but our weather is just too dusty/windy and makes it impossible to paint.

I have a twin fan Tamiya spray booth. You can build your own if you want to just get one for cheap.

Sora_N

Started building MG Strike RM. Having 2 small issues so far...

The whole V-fin piece doesn't seem to lock in at all, it barely attaches (I can glue this but it seems weird).

Also the back skirt assembly doesn't seem to attack properly, I have no idea why.

The kit seems nice and solid so far though, the head assembly is amazing and the upper body seem solid as hell.

Beth Cyra

Started building MG Strike RM. Having 2 small issues so far...

The whole V-fin piece doesn't seem to lock in at all, it barely attaches (I can glue this but it seems weird).

Also the back skirt assembly doesn't seem to attack properly, I have no idea why.

The kit seems nice and solid so far though, the head assembly is amazing and the upper body seem solid as hell.

V Fin issues are common sadly. Proto Zero has issues as well.

I started on GP01 Zeph RH today. Easily best corfighter aside from ZZ.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Finally finish the bootleg NG Akatsuki 1/100. What a great way to spend a entire weekend (I miss sunlight)!

It looks decent as straight build. Since it is all shiny, you don't really notice all the metal peeling, scratch, uneven surface, horrible cut mark, loose joints, everything falling down, etc. Avoid TTLONG, what a horrible build, nearly 1/3 of the parts require sanding or glue just so the part will fit. I got this kit because MCModel and Dragon Momoko made such amazing kit, most of them even superior to bandai. I guess not every unlicensed company is equal. Like what I post before, Dragon Momoko is making their own Akatsuki (non metallic), so wait for that long instead.

I didn't put any decal or sticker since I am planning to paint all the non-metallic parts. The white/red/black looks really cheap, and the color is off so definitely need some painting. For the metallic part, I plan to seal it with future floor finish, then panel line plus oil wash to give it some kind of depth.

I still have 2 other half finish kit, and a resin kit to finish before this one. I really need to knock some backlog off my list.

Sora_N

Aile Strike RM has been a joy to build, I'll finish it over the week, but main body will finish tomorrow!

I just didn't get the leg armors on lol.

Shun

Still a problem in that shipping would cost too much. For something of that size it will cost between $120-$160.

I love your willingness to mess around with bootlegs and resin kits.

Best option is to do what I do, poverty tier. Cardboard box + Newspaper. Adding in a tube for ventilation is optional depending on the paints you use. Mask and gloves are recommended.

I just use this and open the window.

Examples

So good....

Great articulation. Impressions?

Sora_N

Best option is to do what I do, poverty tier. Cardboard box + Newspaper. Adding in a tube for ventilation is optional depending on the paints you use. Mask and gloves are recommended.

I just use this and open the window.

Examples

paintbooth.jpg

p3.jpg

Great articulation. Impressions?

The build is not hard but still really fun, everything is nice and tight so far except the v-fin.

I have to get ready for bed so I couldn't finish the side skirts and the knives, and the entire aile striker pack, but I look forward to finishing it soon! :)

I really want the Strike Rouge now, such an awesome MG....the Rouge has a cool pack as well.

Shun

The build is not hard but still really fun, everything is nice and tight so far except the v-fin.

I have to get ready for bed so I couldn't finish the side skirts and the knives, and the entire aile striker pack, but I look forward to finishing it soon! :)

I really want the Strike Rouge now, such an awesome MG....the Rouge has a cool pack as well.

Yeah, was asking since my Strike Rouge is coming in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Will do updates on that once I go through my giant backlog of kits. Me having to wait until I can paint delays me from updating and finishing my current builds.

Sora_N

Yeah, was asking since my Strike Rouge is coming in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Will do updates on that once I go through my giant backlog of kits. Me having to wait until I can paint delays me from updating and finishing my current builds.

Can't wait to see. I actually really wanted the Rouge but local stores don't have it, so gonna order when I have time.

Free Comic Book DAy though, the comic shop had a sale so I bought the Strike anyways since it was a good deal.

EDIT: Where's my Freedom RM Bandai? :( I only have 4 MGs atm, Freedom was my first. I'd still rebuy it. Probably my favourite suit still lol.

Top Bottom