• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

duckroll

Hmmmmmmmm

http://blog.valkyria.jp/

Today marks the 100th Field Report entry on the Valkyria Chronicles blog. This is a silly blog they started way back to promote VC, with Edy and Homer doing blog entries as conversations. To commemorate the 100th entry in the blog, Homer's sister shows up as a special guest mid-way. Could she and her communications officer be characters from Valkyria 3? The timing seems... suspicious to say the least. :)

ss10002.jpg

Sipowicz

Banned
FUCKING CERTIFICATES HOW DO THEY WORK? ugh. it's doing my head in

regardless i've unlocked all of the second tier classes. all of them are ok in their own way

do people really prefer fencers to tech vets though?

duckroll

Okay, WHAT THE FUCK. SERIOUSLY. Starting from August, all the missions say they normally give CERTIFICATES. It says right here on the mission info screen during the briefing. Bunch of shit plus CERTIFICATES. But I've done two now and they DO NOT GIVE CERTIFICATES. Morris has TWO FUCKING DIPLOMAS now and still no Certificates. Who the fuck programmed this PIECE OF SHIT SYSTEM?!

T_T

Sipowicz

Banned
duckroll. a good way to farm certificates are the defense missions in march

take out any surroundings tanks and position your dudes behind sandbags. then keep ending turn you dont need to do anything else and oftentimes someone will get a certificate.

duckroll

Sipowicz said:
duckroll. a good way to farm certificates are the defense missions in march

take out any surroundings tanks and position your dudes behind sandbags. then keep ending turn you dont need to do anything else and oftentimes someone will get a certificate.

But I refuse to do stupid shit like that. Don't you think that sounds completely moronic? There is no fucking logic to that. I'm not even trying to FARM certificates. I just want to play the game properly, and get the people I use in missions to get the credits they need. If a mission lists CERTIFICATES as something it will provide, I don't understand why it gives Morris another FIVE DIPLOMAS, when he doesn't need them, and gives Mishlitt ONE CERTIFICATE when she's already a Fencer and doesn't need ANY (she also already has a bunch, but she has NO DIPLOMAS).

This is nonsensical. It's a stupid system, with broken programming, shit design, and it's making an otherwise very good game into an annoying piece of fucking shit that makes me like it less and less. FUCK SEGA!

just beat the game :D. satisffying ending and man am I glad I dont have to waste any more time farming for credits(at least until I start a 2nd playtrough in the not to soon future:lol).

after it's all said and done, I enjoyed the story. chracters coulda used work obviously but they were tolerable. gameplay was excellent save for the distribution of credits and certificates/diplomas. Just think of VC3 with VC1's quality story and VC2's gameplay with a few things added here and there.....ahhh just thinking about it gets me pumped!

VC3 on PS3 sega, make it happen!

The game seems to take a perverse joy in handing out Certs to the guy I dragged out for a single turn to cap leftover infantry while the guy who ran around the map doing shit get 3x Arms. And 2x Arms. And another 2x Arms.

What is the point of allowing me three slots to earn credits with if they're all going to be the same credit?!

Hey, we all know one of the main complaints about VC was that it had too little content and only took like 10 hours to complete, right?

Ok, so they have no excuse for adding grinding into their game.

duckroll

mjemirzian said:
Hey, we all know one of the main complaints about VC was that it had too little content and only took like 10 hours to complete, right?

VC was not a 10 hour game, and most people did not complain about it having too little content. What on earth are you talking about?

Sipowicz

Banned
duckroll said:
But I refuse to do stupid shit like that. Don't you think that sounds completely moronic? There is no fucking logic to that. I'm not even trying to FARM certificates. I just want to play the game properly, and get the people I use in missions to get the credits they need. If a mission lists CERTIFICATES as something it will provide, I don't understand why it gives Morris another FIVE DIPLOMAS, when he doesn't need them, and gives Mishlitt ONE CERTIFICATE when she's already a Fencer and doesn't need ANY (she also already has a bunch, but she has NO DIPLOMAS).

This is nonsensical. It's a stupid system, with broken programming, shit design, and it's making an otherwise very good game into an annoying piece of fucking shit that makes me like it less and less. FUCK SEGA!

I agree it's completely shit but there's nowt else you can do.

I have certificates for everyone except one fucking BITCH who's been in my team about 50 times.

I hope the new game keeps the level up stuff but does it in a way that forces you to use your characters in creative watys. like achievments in team fortress

duckroll said:
VC was not a 10 hour game, and most people did not complain about it having too little content. What on earth are you talking about?

i think he's being sarcastic. sega chose to fuck up their game for no apaprent reason

firehawk12

Subete no aware
duckroll said:
Hmmmmmmmm

Today marks the 100th Field Report entry on the Valkyria Chronicles blog. This is a silly blog they started way back to promote VC, with Edy and Homer doing blog entries as conversations. To commemorate the 100th entry in the blog, Homer's sister shows up as a special guest mid-way. Could she and her communications officer be characters from Valkyria 3? The timing seems... suspicious to say the least. :)

ss10002.jpg

Oh boobs. Err, I mean Sega.

mjemirzian said:

grinding is ok for standard rpgs but not for this game when missions can anywhere from 15-20 min to an hour plus if you have to keep restarting the mission. I dont mind doing "key" missions for since they are mandatory and can farm for items in that time. The problem in this game however is the distribution of items is terrible and forces you to farm like crazy. for example, I just beat the game today, if I didn't stop trying to get 2 dam support II for my anti tank sniper chances are I wouldn't have beaten it. The system needs to be fixed in VC3

Ikkarus

duckroll said:
Hmmmmmmmm

Hmmmm indeed!

I see on the male that he has the number 11 on his chest. One would assume squad 11, but what is with the empire red outfit?

Salaadin

Pureauthor said:
Coleen is chewing up tanks and turrets like no tomorrow. Awesome Potentials.

I finished her story quests yesterday so no more feeble shot! I love her now.
I cant believe shes banging Morris :lol

duckroll

Yeah I love Coleen's story too.

Coleen and Morris are basically going to have a permanent place in my squad from now on. In fact, they're going to be spending a lot of time alone together inside my APC too, since it fits my strategy perfectly.

Coleen and Morris aren't banging...END GAME BIO INFO:
Coleen becomes a talk show host, due to her chatty nature, and he, to help people apparently, becomes a lawyer. They write each other often...=p

As far as the question, for how long the game goes, just until December, but there are multiple story missions for it. On game plus each month has a new 3 star challenge (and new materials =/)that awaits, but you can do the regular missions from the story of any month anytime.

duckroll

Okay, the August story mission is kinda tough. I've lost several times now because they send reinforcements and just march to take out my base camps, there doesn't seem to be a great way to guard two base camps well against V2 reinforcements...

daoster

The funny thing is..I've been trying to get Certs, I've been getting Diplomas instead...shouldn't those be harder??

I'm just wondering - is there anything Fencers cannot do? Morris just beat up a tank with a sword, and he barely got scratched out of the deal.

Giolon

duckroll said:
Hmmmmmmmm

ss10002.jpg
Not a good first impression for the 3rd entry...looks like SEGA's doubling down on VC2's style...

Seda said:
Is there any best mission to grind for certs? Or is it really just random?
Lots of people say the defense missions in March but I've only ever gotten 2 or 3 Certificates out of them...so yeah.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Giolon said:
Not a good first impression for the 3rd entry...looks like SEGA's doubling down on VC2's style...

Having a character who is well-endowed is not bad.

What IS bad is when they crack jokes about whether someone is buxom or not.

Salaadin

Hcoregamer00 said:

One of the best characters in VC1 could kill a man with her chest. Im not sure thats what he means by "VC2s style" though unless theres boob humor elsewhere that I havent seen yet. I only saw the one cutscene so far.

Hcoregamer00

Salaadin said:
One of the best characters in VC1 could kill a man with her chest. Im not sure thats what he means by "VC2s style" though unless theres boob humor elsewhere that I havent seen yet. I only saw the one cutscene so far.

< I hope you are talking about her.

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:

It's not her bust size that bothers me here. It's really the Phoenix Wright poses, goofy expressions, and the generic anime style they're drawn in. I want a return to the distinctive look of VC1. Agreed on the jokes.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
It's not her bust size that bothers me here. It's really the Phoenix Wright poses, goofy expressions, and the generic anime style they're drawn in. I want a return to the distinctive look of VC1. Agreed on the jokes.

While it does look generic, it is a HUGE improvement over the art style of VC2, and I am one of the few people who LIKE the character designs in VC2 AND VC1.

Salaadin

I guess I dont really see it. I like the art from VC1 and VC2 and whats shown above isnt bad either. Granted VC1 is my favorite out of all them but I cant say I have any major issues with the others.

Quixzlizx

I don't really have any problem with those two designs other than the guy looks like he's trying to tempt a child into the back of his van with a puppy, but I'm thinking that's mostly the facial expression.

Hcoregamer00

Quixzlizx said:
I don't really have any problem with those two designs other than the guy looks like he's trying to tempt a child into the back of his van with a puppy, but I'm thinking that's mostly the facial expression.

:lol

Now I can't unsee it.

duckroll

YES! SEPTEMBER! The August story events were actually pretty good I thought. Not that it's a hallmark of good writing or anything, but it's finally pretty comparable to stuff in VC1. I like the direction the story is headed now, and there's a good chance we will see less stupidity now. Also, the story mission in August is CLASSIC Valkyria. SO GOOD! <3 <3

duckroll said:
YES! SEPTEMBER! The August story events were actually pretty good I thought. Not that it's a hallmark of good writing or anything, but it's finally pretty comparable to stuff in VC1. I like the direction the story is headed now, and there's a good chance we will see less stupidity now. Also, the story mission in August is CLASSIC Valkyria. SO GOOD! <3 <3

I was playing the June mission and wondering about why you were complaining so much. I mean sure, what Avan did was stupid, but it's nothing groundbreaking in terms of cliches and I bet Zeri will show up any minute with - yup there he is.

And then: Multiple Story Missions in a single month! Wonder what happens next.

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
I was playing the June mission and wondering about why you were complaining so much. I mean sure, what Avan did was stupid, but it's nothing groundbreaking in terms of cliches and I bet Zeri will show up any minute with - yup there he is.

And then: Multiple Story Missions in a single month! Wonder what happens next.

The complaining starts AFTER you finish the missions for the month. :lol

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
While it does look generic, it is a HUGE improvement over the art style of VC2, and I am one of the few people who LIKE the character designs in VC2 AND VC1.

Well, I guess on the whole if I'd give VC1's character designs a 10, I'd give VC2's a 4, and these two new ones a 5 or 6. So, improvement sure (at least they're adults! I think?)...but they're a far, far cry from the first. I'm curious to see more of this 3rd game's cast, but my expectations are pretty low.

In VC2 related news, RubyEclipse stated on the SEGA VC forums that he is planning to announce the winner of the signed VC artbook tomorrow on the blog as well as PUBLISH A NEW VC2 UNLOCK CODE. Fingers crossed for Selvaria.

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
Well, I guess on the whole if I'd give VC1's character designs a 10, I'd give VC2's a 4, and these two new ones a 5 or 6. So, improvement sure (at least they're adults! I think?)...but they're a far, far cry from the first. I'm curious to see more of this 3rd game's cast, but my expectations are pretty low.

In VC2 related news, RubyEclipse stated on the SEGA VC forums that he is planning to announce the winner of the signed VC artbook tomorrow on the blog as well as PUBLISH A NEW VC2 UNLOCK CODE. Fingers crossed for Selvaria.

.....and her Ruhm.

That would make this game too easy :)

Giolon

Segata Sanshiro said:
Is this the thread where we can discuss and speculate about VC3 now? It seems the lamest guy in the world happened to close the other thread.
Seems it was closed because of the VC1 vs VC2 style/platform debate... :( To be fair, it has gone around and around ad nauseum. I'll admit to contributing to that.

Let's try to focus this thread on VC2 and wait until the actual announcement comes then we can rip it to shreds.

Also, I noticed another drive-by-mod tagline edit. I like this one!

Hcoregamer00 said:
.....and her Ruhm.

That would make this game too easy :)
Selvaria doesn't come with the Ruhm...nor her body (it's just her head pasted onto the generic female models). I'm sure the poor girl's back will be relieved!

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:
Is this the thread where we can discuss and speculate about VC3 now? It seems the lamest guy in the world happened to close the other thread.

VC3 doesn't exist. I just called the real Segata Sanshiro to get it canned.

Giolon said:
Seems it was closed because of the VC1 vs VC2 style/platform debate... :( To be fair, it has gone around and around ad nauseum. I'll admit to contributing to that.

Let's try to focus this thread on VC2 and wait until the actual announcement comes then we can rip it to shreds.

Also, I noticed another drive-by-mod tagline edit. I like this one!
If threads are going to be closed for going around in circles, I expect to see 90% of the forum locked up. It wasn't off-topic, I don't see why there should be a moratorium on discussing a game that's being teased over the next week leading up to a reveal. Whatevs, I don't want to crap up this thread, but that was super omega lame.

Top Bottom