• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Digital Preorder + Bonus Mission available for Now Available

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Played about 90m of the demo tonight on Switch. I ended up changing my preorder from PS4 to Switch because -- until now -- I was worried about performance. Seems to run flawlessly! Gonna enjoy that flexibility of big screen or handheld (all my time tonight was in handheld mode).

Personalities in the squad are much better than VC2 and probably on-par with VC1 (nice balance of charm, innocence, and the harshness of war, just like the first title). Even though it's just a demo, I haven't yet found anyone who was straight-up throwaway in terms of design or voice-acting. The tone of the game is good. This seems to connect to the first three games? Definitely takes place during the same time period, at least.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The only issue I had with the demo and not with the demo per se, mind you, but with the new classes, was the grenadier clashing with the snipers -- makes early snipers rather redundant -- those rarely can one-shot kill at the distances a grenadier can. So I'm a bit puzzled what other uses a grenaider will have in the game that don't just overshadow snipers.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The only issue I had with the demo and not with the demo per se, mind you, but with the new classes, was the grenadier clashing with the snipers -- makes early snipers rather redundant -- those rarely can one-shot kill at the distances a grenadier can. So I'm a bit puzzled what other uses a grenaider will have in the game that don't just overshadow snipers.
Grenadier don't have same range as Snipers have and in some missions like the one you need to use billboards to give signal the tanks locations couldn't be done with Grenadiers. I would say the class I thought they would outclass is Lancers so far. Just like VC1 Lancers have higher chance of completely miss their mark even in short distance. Honestly it was much easier destroying the tanks with Grenadiers.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Grenadier don't have same range as Snipers have and in some missions like the one you need to use billboards to give signal the tanks locations couldn't be done with Grenadiers. I would say the class I thought they would outclass is Lancers so far. Just like VC1 Lancers have higher chance of completely miss their mark even in short distance. Honestly it was much easier destroying the tanks with Grenadiers.
I didn't use grenadiers against tanks, but in all other situations where in vc1 I'd sniper the target, in vc4 I just walked over them with a grenadier. For instance the grenadier introductory mission -- I tried to snipe my way through it, just for ol' time's sake, and boy, was it a nuisance to 5-7 sniper-shot targets, that otherwise get obliterated by a singe grenadier shot. As re the billboard mission -- how often would you expect a mission to explicitly mandate a sniper?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
how often would you expect a mission to explicitly mandate a sniper?
lv1kwta.gif

All of em

Always

If this triggered anybody gomen

Last edited by a moderator:

Danjin44

I didn't use grenadiers against tanks, but in all other situations where in vc1 I'd sniper the target, in vc4 I just walked over them with a grenadier. For instance the grenadier introductory mission -- I tried to snipe my way through it, just for ol' time's sake, and boy, was it a nuisance to 5-7 sniper-shot targets, that otherwise get obliterated by a singe grenadier shot. As re the billboard mission -- how often would you expect a mission to explicitly mandate a sniper?
Some enemies like the ones using machine gun on that mission and some enemies that are using cover you can't one shot them with snipers but most enemies you can and in much longer distance than grenadier could.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Launch and post-launch DLCs announced:

BqsiziP.jpg

Thank fuck there'll be Japanese VO as free DLC. Now, SEGA, would you kindly show us unboxing of Memoirs from Battle Premium Edition already? I want to see the real thing before I'll decide which version to buy, goddamnit.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Launch and post-launch DLCs announced:

BqsiziP.jpg

Thank fuck there'll be Japanese VO as free DLC. Now, SEGA, would you kindly show us unboxing of Memoirs from Battle Premium Edition already? I want to see the real thing before I'll decide which version to buy, goddamnit.

Awesome! I quoted your post in the OP.

Still not sure if I will buy the game on launch or wait until later this year to buy it. I am hyped for the game, but I just don't have as much time as I would like to dedicate to gaming these days.

sublimit

Banned
Really like this CE. A proper artbook,great detail and paintjob on the tank and a very reasonable price. I rarely buy CEs anymore but this will be an exception.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Next week! I find myself buying more and more of these multiplat RPGs on Switch simply due to the portability. Most of my RPG hours were spent on handhelds over the past decade, so I guess that makes sense.

Danjin44

The games is almost here! I'm so excited to finally get my hands on this game, I just hope it sells well. Just like the first game it got great reviews but this time is mulitplatform so it has bigger chance selling much better than VC1 when it first came out on PS3.

Top Bottom