• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway 3DS: First working 3DS flashcart? [Still region locked]

In other words: piracy.

Pretty much. Lame news.

I really hope there is a new update that can completely block this.

This makes me a bit angry. Why would you support this OP? IMO this is potentially worse than nintendo's idiotic account system implementation.

Piracy is lame dude.

Annnnnd the 3DS is fucked.

:( Hope Nintendo releases a firmware update blocking this.

Not piracy. Many will yse it for this purpose but if this gets rid of region restrictions and allows people who are against Nintendo's lack of account system to carry their library with them then its a legitimate usage.

Cbajd5

Important Questions:

Can eShop games even be backed up like the cartridge dumps out there? I'm guessing those won't be able to be pirated with this.

(HEY CAPCOM I GUESS MAKING AA5 ESHOP ONLY IN THE US/EU WAS SMART)

Can the average person get the tools to back up their own 3DS games? Since this thing doesn't support homebrew apparently backups would be the only semi-legal way to use it. If there isn't then there's really no legal way to use this.

I still want to see how it works for multiple games if there's a loader for games now though.

they sell their games on a junky garbage shop with horrendous policies. it's not a real solution.

The shop works fine. You can transfer your games if you get a new system and if your system breaks, Nintendo has been known to transfer the games for you. Just because it's not perfect to your wishes doesn't mean it's not a real solution.

I don't like this. Flashcarts obliterated sales of high quality but niche DS games such as the Ace Attorney series or The World Ends With You.

This -_- And especially after the effort made by Nintendo and some niche publishers this year to bring over stuff noone would have expected them to localize...

If the only usage for that device would be homebrew stuff, I'd say more power to them. Would not know how that could work though; Would that require the makers to put a lock on their flashcards so that a blacklist could be enabled with retail/digital games? edit: Homebrew or Region Free wouldn't even work for this device? "Backups" only? Fuuuu... OK, I 100% hate that device now.

Anyway, I hope this will not spell the end to officially licensed and translated niche games all over again.. (Or EVERYTHING going digital only *sigh*)

Avallon

That's why Nintendo should have pushed a DECENT digital front. I would love to see the excuse then.
The excuse would then be that you need to back up your games so you still have them after you trade them in because... you know... used games... and

It's for fucking piracy.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The shop works fine. You can transfer your games if you get a new system and if your system breaks, Nintendo has been known to transfer the games for you. Just because it's not perfect to your wishes doesn't mean it's not a real solution.
and if I want to use two systems (3DS regular on the go, XL at home) I'm completely fucked. It's not a real solution.

Linkhero1

I'm sorry, if you actually believe that more people will use this to legitimately back up their games than they will to pirate games they don't own, then you're either naive or ignorant.

It's true that a majority will probably use this for piracy, but that's not to say that there's no reason it can't be used legitimately by non-pirates. If I buy my games physically because I'm a collector and don't feel like carrying them around with me all the time then it would be perfect. Especially if my library of games exceeds what a carrying case would be able to carry. I can see why you as well as others are angry though.

Personally, I'm hoping that they're able to break region locking.

Ridley327

Shouldn't Nintendo be able to brick devices remotely that make use of this kind of hardware? I thought they said there was some sort of detection mechanism within the 3DS' firmware for this sort of thing? I wouldn't allow one of these cards into my 3DS ever.

I know that people who have used DS flashcarts on the 3DS have had their system "marked," as unlicensed software can't be removed from your play history.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I really would like to know how this device works. If it really does a very good job of emulating the loader functions of a real cart to the point where Nintendo could not determine via probes if it has a real of fake cart loaded.

There seems to be no information on the website on how close and emulation this would be.

And no. I don't own a 3DS. I'm just curious.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
they sell their games on a junky garbage shop with horrendous policies. it's not a real solution.

That doesn't enable you to go around it. I wanted Assassin's Creed on PC. It had always online DRM requirements. I didn't buy it and crack it. I just didn't buy it.

CDX

This would be awesome for people like me who don't like digital (because of Nintendo's games bound to system policy) but still want to carry all their games with them on a single cartridge!

Wonder what justification people will come up with next when/if Nintendo ever makes an actual account system. Which we just might get later this year when Miiverse launches on the 3DS.

Nintendo is very open to indie devs so the homebrew excuse can't really be used anymore.

Meh, if I could import games with this thing I'd only be slightly interested, because I'd still rather play on the actual cartridge.

I know what you mean but it's not just the account system, it's the digital pricing too. I can often find a game 10-15 EUR cheaper at retail or second-hand than in the eShop. It'd be great of course if Nintendo were to implement a basic account system and the ability to make backups of your retail carts to an SD card (combined with a Club Nintendo registration code or something), locking it to your 3DS (kind of like they do with software downloaded from the eShop).

People will pay $100 for this thing to enable their 'convenience' of having all of their obviously full retail purchased titles on one card.

People will simultaneously complain they don't just buy titles on the eshop because they cost $5-$10 more than retail.

Not saying this is you, but we're going to see a lot of this.

DaBoss

There really is no benefit from this. I agree that Nintendo should have an account system, but this isn't a solution, this is just trying to sidestep the problem to lead to an even bigger problem. Hopefully Nintendo does frequent updates to block this and implement an account system.

Like the updates to stop DS flash carts working on the 3DS stopped them from working?

I think it is a different situation. DS flashcarts would probably work in DS mode, but this is for 3DS games which support the 3DS OS and features natively. I think it would be a lot easier to block this thing.

gngf123

Guys, guys. It's just a 1-1 cartridge clone. No homebrew, no region lock breaking, nothing.

Backups and piracy are the only uses of this particular hack.

Risette

A Good Citizen
That doesn't enable you to go around it. I wanted Assassin's Creed on PC. It had always online DRM requirements. I didn't buy it and crack it. I just didn't buy it.
cool, but in this case I stick to buying retail games and will embrace any solution that allows me to carry them everywhere at once until Nintendo can catch up to the modern era.

Tain

There's 0 indication of this being region free. Zero, nada.

History suggests that being able to run unauthorized code will lead to getting around region locking. Do we know exactly how this thing works?

The 360 is the only console that has been able to run copied games without being able to get around region-locking.

edit:
gngf123 said:
Guys, guys. It's just a 1-1 cartridge clone. No homebrew, no region lock breaking, nothing.
bummer

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
No reason for any legit customer to use this when most 3DS games are available digitally.

I just don't understand how any sane individual would pay full retail for a digital downloaded game they can't then sell on. It's a good definition of stupidity.

and if I want to use two systems (3DS regular on the go, XL at home) I'm completely fucked. It's not a real solution.

I'm sure most people have two 3DS models of different specs and, when they wish to play a certain game, absolutely refuse to take the other model with with them. Seriously? If you're being honest, you must represent .0001% of actual 3DS owners.

I just don't understand how any sane individual would pay full retail for a digital downloaded game they can't then sell on. It's a good definition of stupidity.

Stupidity is not agreeing with you. How about convenience and the fact that having your games on a single portable is actually very good for travel?

CronoShot

Not piracy. Many will yse it for this purpose but if this gets rid of region restrictions and allows people who are against Nintendo's lack of account system to carry their library with them then its a legitimate usage.

If you think any more than a miserably small amount of people will use this legitimately, you are out of your goddamn mind.

Did I say it wouldn't happen?
I'm just saying that TO ME, it is a useful device.
To others? It most likely will be used for piracy.
Still, I'm sure that quite a few individuals will use it for the reasons I posted above.

Understand I am not blaming you. But the way it will be used by the majority is obvious.

Now third parties will have another excuse not to release games... Really hope Nintendo can fix this. I guess the DS taught them the hard lesson. They better be ready to counterattack. If this is the same as DS, well, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

FyreWulff

Looks like you still need an unaltered image, so useless for homebrew.

I really would like to know how this device works. If it really does a very good job of emulating the loader functions of a real cart to the point where Nintendo could not determine via probes if it has a real of fake cart loaded.

There seems to be no information on the website on how close and emulation this would be.

And no. I don't own a 3DS. I'm just curious.

It's probably detectable. Worst case newer games can be put under a different security model.

Effect

As I said in the other thread I hope this is killed quickly by Nintendo. This only has one f'n use and I don't want anything screwing up my enjoyment of the 3DS going forward. Don't want to carry a lot of games then suck it and buy the digital versions. Don't want to do that then continue buying the physical copies. Buy a damn pouch that holds multiple games. Don't kill the 3DS's future for everyone else.

Eusis

No reason for any sane customer to buy digitally on 3DS when games are locked to the hardware.
We CAN contact Nintendo about this and transfer them over still. It's not really ideal, but it's not so horrific that "no one sane" should bother.

Seriously, look at the likes of Digital River, they straight up don't let you redownload after a short period of time unless you pay "download insurance", and it STILL isn't for as long as the service persists, just a year or two.

No reason for any sane customer to buy digitally on 3DS when games are locked to the hardware.

as far as I am aware you can transfer all your content from system to system no? granted, both the new and the old system need to be working, but this can be done. the content already can be moved from one piece of hardware to another.

baphomet

That's why Nintendo should have pushed a DECENT digital front. I would love to see the excuse then.

Or not tying people's purchases to their systems. Nintendo refused to help with recovering the $150 worth of games and ambassador games when my first 3DS was stolen. Thanks to this device I can hopefully get those things back. That alone has stopped me from purchasing any other digital content for any Nintendo systems.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm sure most people have two 3DS models of different specs and, when they wish to play a certain game, absolutely refuse to take the other model with with them. Seriously? If you're being honest, you must represent .0001% of actual 3DS owners.
I am being honest. Do I need to show you my 3DS and my receipt for a AC 3DS XL preorder to get you to stop implying I'm a liar?

Duallusion

Good for those who are going to backup all their games to a single SD card, I guess. Both of them must be very happy right now.

Linkhero1

As I said in the other thread I hope this is killed quickly by Nintendo. This only has one f'n use and I don't want anything screwing up my enjoyment of the 3DS going forward. Don't want to carry a lot of games then suck it and buy the digital versions. Don't want to do that then continue buying the physical copies. Buy a damn pouch that holds multiple games. Don't kill the 3DS's future for everyone else.

Not that I support this, but how exactly would this kill the 3DS's future? Looking back at this DS, it still received a ton of great games and it was a pirate hub.

cyberheater

Stupidity is not agreeing with you. How about convenience and the fact that having your games on a single portable is actually very good for travel?

So you paid full retail price for games you can't then trade in or sell or lend just for the convenience of traveling with your full library.. SMH.

Top Bottom