• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway 3DS: First working 3DS flashcart? [Still region locked]

Digital is still much costlier than retail in the long-run

There are legit reasons to use this, but very few will use it that way.

louiedog

No reason for any legit customer to use this when most 3DS games are available digitally.

No? What about people who like to buy physical media because of the sales, the ability to buy and sell used, and the fear of what happens to downloaded games when the hardware is stolen or lost?

Effect

What are people's opinions on something like this being used to aid 3DS game development (running Homebrew game software, for instance)?

This does NOT aid game development. This harms it. If people want to develop something for the 3DS then go through the f'n proper channels. This is why Nintendo made it easier for indies and anyone else offering something of quality and is legitimate.

Do you honestly think I give a fuck what people will do with it? I'll use it so I don't have to carry 30 games around with me all the time.

You ask "why do people think this" and we're telling you. Don't get all hostile.

No? What about people who like to buy physical media because of the sales, the ability to buy and sell used, and the fear of what happens to downloaded games when the hardware is stolen or lost?

And I'm sure people will delete the game from their SD Card when they sell it used. Yeah, bullshit.

So it runs backups of card based games and because no homebrew is figured out there is no menu based loader hence the primitive 1 game per card.

I guess it will also be region locked (if it was region free wouldn't you demonstrate that?) so there goes that feature.

This could be exciting in 2-3 years if the homebrew scene becomes as sick as the DS was
Shame running backups by tricking the cartrdige slot has nothing to do with homebrew. I don't see how playing retail games helps you run unsigned code (aka homebrew).

If this takes off, I'm afraid Renegade Kid, among other indie developers, will turn away from 3DS development.
Don't they only publish eShop titles? Which are completely unaffected by this.

Ridley327

If this takes off, I'm afraid Renegade Kid, among other indie developers, will turn away from 3DS development.

How does a developer that's made games that are only available on the eShop get turned away from a device that would potentially enable backups of retail games?

Because I see it as a collector's tool, and a portable solution to game storage.

Nintendo sells all their games digitally, and you can put them on an SD card. You don't need this "collector's tool." People are going to use it to "collect" games they rented or borrowed or pirated.

Clov

I hope that Nintendo patches this thing out soon, I don't want anything getting in the way of the great flow of niche games we've been getting.

Mitama

This makes me a bit angry. Why would you support this OP? IMO this is potentially worse than nintendo's idiotic account system implementation.

I know what you mean but it's not just the account system, it's the digital pricing too. I can often find a game 10-15 EUR cheaper at retail or second-hand than in the eShop. It'd be great of course if Nintendo were to implement a basic account system and the ability to make backups of your retail carts to an SD card (combined with a Club Nintendo registration code or something), locking it to your 3DS (kind of like they do with software downloaded from the eShop).

Risette

A Good Citizen
Nintendo sells all their games digitally, and you can put them on an SD card. You don't need this "collector's tool." People are going to use it to "collect" games they rented or borrowed or pirated.
they sell their games on a junky garbage shop with horrendous policies. it's not a real solution.

louiedog

And I'm sure people will delete the game from their SD Card when they sell it used. Yeah, bullshit.

I'm not arguing right/wrong or should/shouldn't. This will of course be used mostly for piracy and will have a negative impact on the system. However, I think that anyone claiming that there's no legitimate use is full of crap.

Maedhros

Is that all that this cart could be used for to you?
Because I see it as a collector's tool, and a portable solution to game storage.

Yeah, piracy won't happen, everyone will only use this for collection or a solution to game storage. Everyone will buy the original games and dump them on the cart.

So, I can't have my boxed games that I already purchased?
I just need to buy them from their store, with no resale value, no secure account system, and no collector's value?

Please.

Sooo... this doesn't get me homebrew, emulators or a way past region-locking?
seriously why the fuck is the 3DS region-locked

So it's just for piracy, basically? Eugh, no thanks.

Wiz

This is a rotten apple spoils the bunch situation. Like 1% may have good intentions in this but everyone else will pirate games.

Lucent

If only everyone thought that way rather than "sweet, free games!" because I really do not want the 3DS's rise fucked up by ease of piracy as the case seemed to be for DS and PSP.

Exactly this. I'd love a way to have my cake and eat it too (be able to have my physical copies while being able to carry all games "digitally" on a single cart). If only they had a way of doing this like they do with those Bluray/DVD/Digital combo packs.

And yeah the 3DS has a great library building up. This year alone has been sick (awesome) for it. Loving my XL.

Skin

Aren't the 3DS game cartridge dimensions supersmall? This whole "portable storage solution" excuse seems a little unbelievable to me.

Midou

If it is one micro-SD card per game as it seems to be... ugh. I got a fat stack of 3DS games, would probably buy a flashcart if I could keep them all on one, long as you could still update and use the eShop and everything, but not like this.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm sorry, if you actually believe that more people will use this to legitimately back up their games than they will to pirate games they don't own, then you're either naive or ignorant.
I'm saying what these imaginary "most people" do is completely irrelevant and probably fallacious to use as an actual point.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Region locking is the devil.

Unfortunately, this thing does not combat region locking. Nor does it add homebrew. It's purely meant for piracy.

Come on...

Yeah, piracy won't happen, everyone will only use this for collection or a solution to game storage. Everyone will buy the original games and dump them on the cart.

Did I say it wouldn't happen?
I'm just saying that TO ME, it is a useful device.
To others? It most likely will be used for piracy.
Still, I'm sure that quite a few individuals will use it for the reasons I posted above.

Eusis

For those that just want to play their own games: errr, is this even going to enable dumping of YOUR games? Because to me it seems 99.9% of people would have to download online unlike, say, PSP homebrew.

Ridley327

Firmware update exists so this is going to be useless, unless you don't plan on going online ever

Nintendo's pushed firmware updates via retail games, too. Unless the security is easily circumvented on games that require firmware updates, this could get real useless real quick.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hopefully Nintendo will block this as soon as possible. For those making comparisons with how Wii's security has been treated by Nintendo, it's quite...different.

Fireblend

Banned
Shouldn't Nintendo be able to brick devices remotely that make use of this kind of hardware? I thought they said there was some sort of detection mechanism within the 3DS' firmware for this sort of thing? I wouldn't allow one of these cards into my 3DS ever.

Top Bottom