• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gateway 3DS: First working 3DS flashcart? [Still region locked]

I just want a flashcart so I can store all my games in one card so I wont be worried having one to a few games if they get stolen like my GBA games in the past.
Then you don't want Gateway 3DS.

But to be honest if the system gets to the point of homebrew that would allow a multi-game cart then it might even reach the level where no flashcart is needed or it is just a payload.

If only the thing could be region Free it would catch my eye to play unplayable us (a few)/jp (mostly) exclusives..
As it is is only good for glorified pirates and not for users wanting to play regionlocked games...

Rich!

I just want to be able to backup my eshop purchases. If I can, then I'll happily buy all my games via it.

I've been at the mercy of Nintendo before after my first 3DS was stolen and I lost a lot of purchases. Fuck them, seriously.

also

Banned
you missed the point entirely.
I am not defending Nintendo's practices, I am questioning the trust in other companies which clearly showed that they can't be trusted either. That blog post surely sounds horrible, BUT it's also more than a year old by now and I've read dozens of cases in the meantime that had quick and happy resolves.With Nintendo it's like russian roulette, you may win, you may lose. but with ps360 to xbone4 you definitly lose, account system or not.

the point is:
there is no certainty, ever.
You can't just assume your digitally bought games are safe because they are tied to an account. The ps360 case clearly shows they are not.

I know its due to the missing backwards compatibility. But than I need to ask why is it ok in this case? You also paid for it and it doesn't seem like they'd even attempt to bring those games over.
I think you are missing the point. All the 360/PS3 games you bought ARE safe. I can effortlessly transfer my account between consoles and that's what people want from Nintendo when they are talking about an account system. Backwards compatibility is an entirely different matter and doesn't really have anything to do with the ownership of digital games. And BTW you still can't transfer Lost Winds and some DSi ware games, so Nintendo isn't perfect in that regard, either.
Sony and M$ didn't implement backwards compatibility because it wasn't financially feasible, while you can loose all your digitally bought Nintendo games just because. Which company should I trust more again? The one that gives me a good explanation or the one that screws me over for no good reason?

they don't stop you from using them. you get what you paid for, nothing more, nothing less.
good for the handful of vita owners if they get at least something from sony, we all know there isn't that much beyond that these days.
The same is true for all the digital purchases on X360 and PS3; you get what you paid for, namely the ability to play them on X360 or PS3. What's the problem again?

He-man

Neo Member

$h@d0w

This "solution" has now become really odd. It has a firmware requirement (4.5 only) and comes with a blue colored standard DS cart that runs a one time "setup" so the 3DS cart can be used.

I think hopes for region free have been given a boost though due to the ability to somehow modify the 3DS firmware using this second cart.

Also:

Gateway 3DS said:
First units to ship this week !

fr4nz

As promised here is the proof ! Our latest alpha build showing off BOTH "Firmware spoofing" and "Multi-Region" !! In the next few days we will be moving into private beta and then release. For now, the video showing: 1) Firmware Spoofing 2) Eu console booting Jap exclusive 3) Kor console booting Eu backup. ENJOY ! Gateway 3DS is committed to 100% game compatibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPFO0ZDzBfA

src: http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-firm-spoof-multi-region.352793/

t26

So there according to gbatemp there is now a way to make your 3DS region free. This will not play any ROM, just official cart. All you need is a 3DS with firmware 4.5 and lower and a DS flash cart. Don't think I can link the file but it shouldn't be hard to find.

I'm sorry about bumping this thread but I couldn't find the region free modded launcher thread and I cant make one as a junior member.

The latest gateway update fatally bricks 3DS consoles if you use a modified Gateway launcher. This includes the region free modded launcher and all clones of the gateway card.

I know there were a lot of people interested in the region lock bypass method so I would suggest someone makes a thread before people here get fucked.

Top Bottom